aluc4rd

Advanced Helicopter FDM Feedback

Nope, luckily they removed that "feature," you now have to actually press "engine on," there is no magical auto-ignition anymore.

I just wish they'd move this functionality over to the rest of the vehicles too.

In before people complain about not being able to escape their pursuer's fast enough. In before scroll menu accidentally "get out", instead of Engine On, leading to Indra sniped.

Lol

The only helicopter that's blades move are the Mohawk, and the XH-9 series helicopters. It would be nice to add a little better looking main rotor response to the other helicopters too at some point in future.

In before people complain about not being able to escape their pursuer's fast enough. In before scroll menu accidentally "get out", instead of Engine On, leading to Indra sniped.

Lol

I don't know what any of this means. What is the problem with having a keybind to turn on the engine like they said they were going to add a few weeks ago (which is what is being asked for)?

The only helicopter that's blades move are the Mohawk, and the XH-9 series helicopters. It would be nice to add a little better looking main rotor response to the other helicopters too at some point in future.

I think they just have the moving blade feature because both helicopters are ports from Take on helicopter, where they had this feature.

But why didn't they copy and pasted the Bell-Helicopter from Take on helicopters as well? Would be great for the civilian faction and the armored varaint for FIA. Everything is better than the current lack of content...

I think they just have the moving blade feature because both helicopters are ports from Take on helicopter, where they had this feature.

But why didn't they copy and pasted the Bell-Helicopter from Take on helicopters as well? Would be great for the civilian faction and the armored varaint for FIA. Everything is better than the current lack of content...

It's too western, as Altis is more Europe based. It would make more sense to model a Dauphin to TKOH standards. Speaking of TKOH, though, the flight model for it, compared to the one we have so far, what are the major differences/advantages over each other?

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Edit: Who ever mentioned a more detailed model of a broken Main Rot., I believe they had this in Take On as well, and when broken, the main rotor literally shattered and flew outwards. Is that what you mean? It was a lot better than simply doing a vanishing act.

Is there a way to bind the "Engine on" menu entry to a joystick/joypad button? I cant find it in the list of bindable commands?

And it really kills the emersion when I have to scroll through the menu to turn on a helicopter.

From the USER_NAME.cfg there's keyEngineToggle[]={};

Very welcome addition because it works for all the vehicles :cool:

With a joystick you need to do some tricks to get the key number. Bind your key that you want to use for engine on for something and find the number from the .cfg file and add it in keyEngineToggle[]={number_here};

From the USER_NAME.cfg there's keyEngineToggle[]={};

Very welcome addition because it works for all the vehicles :cool:

With a joystick you need to do some tricks to get the key number. Bind your key that you want to use for engine on for something and find the number from the .cfg file and add it in keyEngineToggle[]={number_here};

Or just wait till they move it over to the UI (probably just a 'check box' item that's low on the priority list as they ready for the DLC launch)

that said, is it me, or has it been a couple weeks sense we saw any updates to the flight models? There's still work to be done there, and we were seeing daily changes for a while, then they seemed to redouble all efforts on sound.

Some notes:

-The Hellcat still seems unbalanced on the pitch axis. she wants to pitch forward, and cruising flight is achieved while still pulling back on the stick.

-The Mohawk still has the "teeter toter" control issues seen when auto-trim isn't enabled. Also getting sound issues (stops playing engine sound after spool up) and CTDs when it crashes.

-The Ghosthawk has contact point issues, it's constantly taking little 'hops' as it resets itself on the ground.

Is there a way to bind the "Engine on" menu entry to a joystick/joypad button? I cant find it in the list of bindable commands?

And it really kills the emersion when I have to scroll through the menu to turn on a helicopter.

Yes

configure-> controls -> common (tab) -> engine on/off

Yes

configure-> controls -> common (tab) -> engine on/off

It's not in the options for me. .cfg is the only place I can find it. No mods enabled.

It's not in the options for me. .cfg is the only place I can find it. No mods enabled.

Not there for me either.

Same. I asked about this on the day it was added in dev branch.

IS there a valid reason why to start the engine requires a action now from the menu/key? Why can't it act as it did before when you start up the RPM/Speed meter? Made things a lot easier, so if there is no valid or good reason for this, would love to see it come back. Thanks

IS there a valid reason why to start the engine requires a action now from the menu/key? Why can't it act as it did before when you start up the RPM/Speed meter? Made things a lot easier, so if there is no valid or good reason for this, would love to see it come back. Thanks

The old method made autorotation training impossible.

e: Well not impossible, but unnecessary complicated.

Edited by CaptainObvious

I for one have been waiting for manual engine controls for a very long time. In addition to being a useful training aid it is also handy for resolving tail rotor loss via autorotation.

New radar system will bring much more immersion and balance into the game. Please vote.

Won't happen for Helicopter DLC. Please try to stick to the topic ;)

As CaptainObvious mentioned, it is mainly because of autorotation. Starting engine with collective raise is still possible with standard FMD.

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Plese try Configure/Controls and load Arma3 control preset. That could help. Engine on/off should be in Common and is unbinded by default.

"Engine on/off" is not visible for me. I tried deleting User.Arma3Profile, but no change.

Other keys, such as Rope interaction and Sling load Assistant are visible. Maybe someone forgot to add "engine on/off" key to options?

Edited by Raven_JJ

In todays dev.branch update we will add first implementation of Vortex Ring State. It is now in the code and reads new values from XML config. The first two helicopters configured now are Mohawk and Hummingbird/Pawnee/M-900.

Whoa! I thought VRS was not to be implemented. Pleasant suprise to say the least!

And what is M-900? Are we finally getting a civillian version of the Hummingbird?

"Engine on/off" is not visible for me. I tried deleting User.Arma3Profile, but no change.

Other keys, such as Rope interaction and Sling load Assistant are visible. Maybe someone forgot to add "engine on/off" key to options?

Yep even profile deleting didn't help. I also tried to change between branches but it's still not visible.

Can't enter Vortex Ring State with the Hummingbird or Pawnee no matter what I do.

The Mohawk works fine though. I can get into VRS and recovery from VRS also seems to work fine.

Unfortunately Air_F addon was not updated in dev.branch. I confirm only Mohawk has VRS configured now.

Edited by Armored_Sheep

VRS, and just when I was getting a hang of the AFM. One thing added to master for survivability. M-900? Hmmm... I wonder.