aluc4rd

Advanced Helicopter FDM Feedback

I'm glad to hear you are trying to solve technical problem because right now seem the only time when it makes sense (post release heli DLC).Later down

the road comes marksmen and the expansion and priorities will probably lie elsewhere.The only real issue with AFM helicopters are contact with geometry.

Edited by enex

VRS is back in dev branch. Enjoy!

Yay! I can't wait to brutally die from my own unskilled landings!

But seriously, great news. The new flight model felt kinda empty with it gone.

VRS is back in dev branch. Enjoy!

Have the values changed at all, or are they the same?

Will the values to enter VRS be changed at all? If so, how so?

Can we get the exact values as they stand now?

Thanks!

PS: I'm glad it's back too!

I think you've misunderstood the roll-over explosions ;). It's not that we think the helicopters should explode on small collisions or when rolled over.

It's more of an technical issue and as far as I can tell a limitation of the AFM simulation vs. collisions, detection and physx. Simply put - you enter the geometry with a part of the helicopter, physical simulation detects it and gives you an adequate response.

Our engine and config guys are trying to tackle it.

This is reassuring, thank you very much for the clarification :) I wish them success then!

Sorry, but what means VRS?

I have are big issue with AFM. In editor, it just nice feature. But in real server, when your have 20 fps - just are hell. Input control is very important but what accuracy can be with 20 fps? I am just started Support misson,(and i have CPU 4600Mhz, large pages, trying different mallocs), but..this simple official mission is block my GPU on 40%. What? How people handle that? Or they not?

And whats wrong with this Support missions? They tells me that i need to support my team and fly somewhere and transport squads about 500! meters! All right, i am landing close to the target squad.... and they just run forward. I neen to use radio? Click somewhere? Wating for something?

Edited by Anachoretes

Vortex Ring State

Cant comment on the AFM in Multiplayer, since I never used it before (we still use addon choppers which don't support them)

And whats wrong with this Support missions? They tells me that i need to support my team and fly somewhere and transport squads about 500! meters! All right, i am landing close to the target squad.... and they just run forward. I neen to use radio? Click somewhere? Wating for something?

Please direct all you feedback regarding the Ground Support missions to this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?185007-MP-Game-Mode-Support-Feedback Thanks!

In regards to explosions of helicopter touching trees with skids, or slow roll overs and so forth.

Yorisyan: I think we're investigating possible ways of improving that, but we are partly limited by our third-party libraries for AFM for example. We'll update you on this if there's progress.

Edited by enex

AFM simulation is used always only for the human player pilot, so just one helicopter at a time. In MP it is simulated on client that is the pilot. Drawing frame rate should have no effect on simulation except really low frame rates.

Are there any plans to change the throttle step when using keyboard? It seems to work logarithmically at the moment, instead of linearly. This means that it's very hard to get a feel for your throttle without looking at it.

Drawing frame rate should have no effect on simulation except really low frame rates.

Right. But reaction for events is much worse. Sometime we need very smooth control but it's impossible if your framerate is low. I know, that the low CPU saturation is the known issue, but AFM is more demanding and we can detect the increased discomfort in the multiplayer modes.

Right. But reaction for events is much worse. Sometime we need very smooth control but it's impossible if your framerate is low. I know, that the low CPU saturation is the known issue, but AFM is more demanding and we can detect the increased discomfort in the multiplayer modes.

I agree.

In a multiplayer match with mods, I get 20-30fps. As soon as I get in a chopper, that drops to 14-20 fps immediately. It's less than comfortable doing a confined space landing under pressure @ 15 fps.

I agree.

In a multiplayer match with mods, I get 20-30fps. As soon as I get in a chopper, that drops to 14-20 fps immediately. It's less than comfortable doing a confined space landing under pressure @ 15 fps.

Just a hint, turning PiP off should help with bad fps in vehicles.

Just a hint, turning PiP off should help with bad fps in vehicles.

Did that. I've done everything I possibly can, the only exception being experimenting with mallocs.

PiP off, all filtering etc off, shadows off. Have gone step by step through every FPS improvement guide I can find. Adjusted settings meticulously and adjusted them while in game to note actual diffs. Have launch parameters set. All did very little.

The extremely annoying part is that my GPU is only running at 30% load, and my CPU never runs over 60% load on ANY one core, OR as a whole.... derp? Something is terribly wrong there.

As a last step I've over clocked both my CPU and GPU. CPU is an AMD 1055t hex core @ 2.8 and vid card is a GTX 560 ti 2gig @810. Have over clocked the CPU to 3.4 on all cores and the GPU to 920.

This was a huge improvement to the current 15-20 fps in moded multi player, as it was only 10-15 fps before. I have no idea how the game can possibly run so poorly, especially considering the load percentage.

It's a known issue that AMD cores run exceptionally poorly with ARMA 3. I really wish BIS would do some optimization, I know Im not the only one struggling with performance.

Sorry for slightly derailing the thread, it's relevant however, as I spend most of my ARMA time in a heli and 15 fps is rather flakey.

Have the values changed at all, or are they the same?
There are new values. Hummingbird can enter VRS aprox at 7 m/s, Ghost hawk 12 m/s (descent rates of rotor at 0 horisontal speed)

Okay, I have been experiencing this really annoying bug since the Sling loading was introduced (and still happens on the current Dev branch 1.35.128126, haven't tried the stable). It works only with Advanced FDM enabled, so I presume this issue should be in this thread.

In the editor place a flying chopper, make it's pilot playable. Place a Quadbike (or any liftable vehicle) somewhere near the chopper and issue a waypoint to the chopper to "Lift cargo" the vehicle. Place a player on the ground nearby and wait until the chopper lifts the vehicle. Then unit switch (default U) to the chopper pilot and wait 2 seconds or try to move a centimeter forward... the chopper falls down like a rock, instant death. It works well with any chopper, but I especially recommend to try this with Pawnee.

Anyone has also experienced this bug? Here is the link to the feedback tracker issue: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=21488

Edited by NumberFour

Okay, I have been experiencing this really annoying bug since the Sling loading was introduced (and still happens on the current Dev branch 1.35.128126, haven't tried the stable). It works only with Advanced FDM enabled, so I presume this issue should be in this thread.

In the editor place a flying chopper, make it's pilot playable. Place a Quadbike (or any liftable vehicle) somewhere near the chopper and issue a waypoint to the chopper to "Lift cargo" the vehicle. Place a player on the ground nearby and wait until the chopper lifts the vehicle. Then unit switch (default U) to the chopper pilot and wait 2 seconds or try to move a centimeter forward... the chopper falls down like a rock, instant death. It works well with any chopper, but I especially recommend to try this with Pawnee.

Anyone has also experienced this bug? Here is the link to the feedback tracker issue: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=21488

What happens if that after you switch with enabled Advanced Flight Model to an already flying AI controlled helicopter the simulation (RLib libraries) gets initialized and the default collective is applied. This "initial" collective is always the same and it's value has been tuned so that a helicopter inserted in the editor "as flying" (with no additional cargo, full fuel and full ammo) is in hover after the preview. The "default collective" is by far not sufficient to compensate the additional weight caused by a sling-loaded cargo. (TBC...)

What happens if that after you switch with enabled Advanced Flight Model to an already flying AI controlled helicopter the simulation (RLib libraries) gets initialized and the default collective is applied. This "initial" collective is always the same and it's value has been tuned so that a helicopter inserted in the editor "as flying" (with no additional cargo, full fuel and full ammo) is in hover after the preview. The "default collective" is by far not sufficient to compensate the additional weight caused by a sling-loaded cargo. (TBC...)

I understand, but this also happens if I as pilot sling load a vehicle, then switch to a unit on the ground and then switch back to the pilot. I guess the collective should be at least put back to the value which I have left before switching or something reasonable with regards to the sling-loaded vehicle.

Edited by NumberFour

Is it intentional that helicopters can't pickup vehicles with crews inside?

Is it intentional that helicopters can't pickup vehicles with crews inside?

They can pickup vehicles with drivers at least (like the quad bike).

Edited by NumberFour

They can pickup vehicles with drivers at least (like the quad bike).

Tried on invade and anex to transport marshall with a Huron (I was driver) and we were unable to transport it unless we were out of vehicle.

Tried on invade and anex to transport marshall with a Huron (I was driver) and we were unable to transport it unless we were out of vehicle.

You need to ask from the guy who made it possible to sling load Marshall with Huron. Not possible without scripting.

Where is official list of which vehicles are air liftable?Because I thought Marshall (IFV) is

transportable by Huron.

Where is official list of which vehicles are air liftable?Because I thought Marshall (IFV) is

transportable by Huron.

See Sling Loading thread - Huron can lift 10 tons, Marshall is 22,9 tons. MRAPs are maximum you can lift with vanilla implementation. For further SL discussion please use dedicated thread.