aluc4rd

Advanced Helicopter FDM Feedback

I have easy solution: pilot can enable controls on/off

If pilot is dead copilot get controls.

I have easy solution: pilot can enable controls on/off

If pilot is dead copilot get controls.

Sounds like a good solution.

not adding a feature because of troll fears. Is ridiculous. may as well forget letting people fly in the firstplace . Anyone can jump in a pilot slot/ seat. And be a troll. Anyone can jump in a ghosthawk , blackfoot gunner seat and be a troll. Should they romove that too?

Because I have seen more gunners kill people than co pilots messing.

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

It's a good idea. And should feature in the game. People are gonna be dicks either way. Making the game less enjoyable for actual players to cater to the dicks is not a solution.

About those wheel brakes; why can't we control them in the basic FM?

Becouse there are no wheels. The standard FM does not have the means to simulate wheels. Imagine they are just skids that look like wheels.

Thats one of the big advantages of the new flight model. Properly simulated wheels and even shock absorbers.

When I'm flying with my community, the pilot sometimes hands over the controls if he needs to do something. It's really useful. I think that the system we have now is great (pilot can unlock controls so copilot has option to take them if needed).

This new flight model is crazy but fun. Been playing around now for a while and it really is challenging. I find it almost impossible to land a heli pretty quickly from a 50+ meter height. Anyone have any tips or videos i can watch to practice different techniques? I use either keyboard and XBOX controller for controls. I know the setup isnt the best, but should be possible.

VRS

---

I am dying a lot from VRS or some effect that takes place when I am slowing to less than 10kph. I have noticed it in some of the choppers in the last build when I thought VRS wasn't enabled. Anyway it feels like VRS when you come into land slowly and you have to control the descent rate like a genius. I can manage this but sometimes I feel like I am being a genius and the wind changes and then I am a dead genius (I am going to have to blame the wind). It seems a bit over sensitive.

I also noticed the VRS effect in the Kajman while attempting to use auto-hover while finding targets. Switching into auto-hover from near perfectly stablised flight will too often drop me like a stone. A stone that explodes when it hits the ground.

I get a feeling that the VRS effect requires that the rpm model and torque model be running very consistently or the effects will occur too randomly. This is a complete guess.

The fat bird

---

It is shame the xH-9 are back to feeling heavy. Now they fly as if they are loaded up with soldiers even when they are empty. I haven't read any discussions about weight. Is carried weight and cargo modelled or do you just fly with a worst case scenario?

Wheel braking OR steering?

---

Are you using independent wheel braking for differential steering EVEN when the brake button isn't being applied. This might be problematic sometimes and lead to more exploding helicopters. I would suggest that if a particular helicopter uses differential steering, (use the rudder for input) and ONLY APPLY the steering when the the brake is applied.

On real aircraft with a button rather than an axis for braking there are likely systems that manage the braking power optimally. You could write controllers for each heli (this would be IDEAL because you could add stablisation to reduce the number of helis that roll over) BUT you could also make the wheel brake an axis and let people manage some of the stuff themselves.

Reverse taxiing is probably discouraged BUT seeing as we have no way to turn a chopper around in a hanger otherwise, consider the case of reversing choppers and how the differential brakes work with this situation.

Engine On Switch.

---

Love it to bits, feels cool to flick a switch on the HOTAS and spin up the blades. The only wrinkle is that the engine turns OFF when the pilot dismebarks. Annoying. If I want the engine to spin down I will turn it off using the SWITCH. Please consider.

Having sampled the Engine On/Off swtich I now want other things to turn off and on on the chopper. I would like a strobe that is daylight visible to attract attention to the chopper (on a server we might have a procedure that strobe on means leaving in 1 minute.

Eject

---

God .. let me bail out when the chopper is about to explode. Sometimes I nurse a helicopter with a damaged engine onto the ground (or onto water) without exploding ... but then I can't eject or bail out before it sinks or slowly rolls onto its side. Then Boom! Let me live!

Thats all. The helis are coming along nicely.

I have to agree vicx, the VRS is acting weird. I don't know enough about it but just hovering and defending at -1 or -2 per sec causes me to loose control and sink like a rock like you say. I think it needs tweaking…i thought it was just me :)

THIS is all I have to say about VRS.

Just kidding. :rolleyes:

In other words, big heavy aircraft shouldn't really worry about VRS that much.

A little bird (Provided measurements are accurate) needs to descend at about 1600 FPM to enter VRS; Whereas a Ghost hawk (Assuming the rotor diameter and weight are the same as a normal blackhawk with minimal crew) needs to descend around 2300 FPM. The rate of descent required to enter VRS gets higher as aircraft weight increases and rotor diameter decreases.

I have noticed it in some of the choppers in the last build when I thought VRS wasn't enabled.

VRS was implemented just a few days ago. It will likely not be in the first release of helicopters DLC at november 4, but will be added in a patch later.

I also noticed the VRS effect in the Kajman while attempting to use auto-hover while finding targets. Switching into auto-hover from near perfectly stablised flight will too often drop me like a stone. A stone that explodes when it hits the ground.

You need to control your collective better, so that you never loose any altitude when transitioning into hover. Lift decreases as you slow down. Compensate by increasing collective.

With that said, I noticed the Kajman was very sensitive to VRS when flying yesterday.

It is shame the xH-9 are back to feeling heavy. Now they fly as if they are loaded up with soldiers even when they are empty. I haven't read any discussions about weight. Is carried weight and cargo modelled or do you just fly with a worst case scenario?

The xH-9 recently had a bug that made it's wieght correspond to an empty chopper. The bug was fixed, and the current behaviour is the correct one.

Might have been mentioned somewhere before, but it would be really awesome, if server admins could force the advanced flight model (just like disabling 3rd person) on their servers.

Might have been mentioned somewhere before, but it would be really awesome, if server admins could force the advanced flight model (just like disabling 3rd person) on their servers.

Yes, it is (or will be) possible as far as I know.

really hope so. prevents just anyone from feeling confident on stealing all the choppers

It is possible: there is a parameter "forceRotorLibSimulation" (0 - default,options based; 1 forced On; 2 forced Off) for use in description.ext file.

It is possible: there is a parameter "forceRotorLibSimulation" (0 - default,options based; 1 forced On; 2 forced Off) for use in description.ext file.

That's in the mission though. What if a server admin wants to force RotorLib server-wide, regardless of the mission setting?

Kajman's VRS is overdone, as is Huron's. I like the DLC helos, but VRS in general needs quite a lot of adjustment. It shouldn't result in a plunge to the ground from a 1-2m/s descent. I was able to land (no autohover) the Kajman in the gunship showcase, but it was really, really hard. Getting stuff on the sling (and off it) is hard because of that, too.

I have to agree, Trying to Huron today seems to be a bit more solid then i was experiencing it with the other helos yesterday, but just hovering and slowly descending is causing problems. I think it has something to do with the wind though as well. Turning off the wind seem to affect it less, but still overdone IMO. Who knows though as i mentioned earlier....i have no experience with HELI SIMs so maybe shit like this really happens lol

Hi guys, sorry if this is deemed a cross post but I wanted to reach fixed-wing and rotor-heads with this idea. I just posted in the fixed-wing development thread a post that makes a feature request for Tacview export out of Arma.

I have been testing the Rotorlib Helis in the DEV branch and lately I have been crashing them and wondering what just happened. I would really like to review what I did wrong and know if it is my bad flying or a bad modeling at fault. Using Tacview could solve a lot of those mysteries by allowing you to playback a technically rigourous recording of what happened.

I have also been using Tacview to view my DCS: Combined Arms games and it models ground units and their actions just as well as aircraft. It is a great tool but it is also pretty fun just to watch a replay of a mission.

I struggle to enter VRS and find myself having to pull some very stupid/silly manouvres to enact it. I try decreasing collective and slowing down rapidly at various atltitudes but I've only managed to VRS on a very small number of occaisions.

Edited by Imperator_Pete

I struggle to enter VRS and find myself having to pull some very stupid/silly manouvres to enact it. I try decreasing collective and slowing down rapidly at various atltitudes but I've only managed to VRS on a very small number of occaisions.

You need to be pulling at least 20% torque (In theory) to go into VRS. If you mash the collective to the floor, you won't enter Vortex Ring State until you start to pull up on the collective.

One issue I've found is that upon entering VRS (Intentionally), the helicopter suddenly and violently rolls up to 90 degrees.

One issue I've found is that upon entering VRS (Intentionally), the helicopter suddenly and violently rolls up to 90 degrees.

I had this problem too, both in VRS and during normal flight. Especially the Orca seems to do this a lot.

With the civilian littlebird I had difficultys not to enter VRS while approaching an LZ slowly.

Do you also still have such a huge delay for your joystick inputs?

I am afraid that it is something that will never gets fixed, and it is a real game braking issue for me. I cannot hover since the 0.5sec delay is causing extreme oscillations. It is impossible for me to slingload, I cannot stay over the spot for the time I have to. In addition to that I am only able to land with a slow forward speed. Vertical landigs need me to hover, and this is simply not possible when you always have to wait 0.5sec until the helicopter starts doing what you want him to do.

It feels like the controls are made out of rubber.

I have input delay too, but it's not as bad as you describe. I don't even think about it. Sling loading "impossible"? Nope. Could not be easier in any way.

True, it has a delay of approximately 0.5, and this influences the time to make a steady under normal conditions. Another element to consider is the collective lever as it reacts very sharp and is very difficult to control the ascent and descent of the helicopter. Carrying a load of these problems are doubled and almost impossible to make a precision maneuver. Something has to change these settings at the official launch or launch later resetting parameters. This short delay causes the helicopter is moved forward or backward without precise control of the movement and as a result difficult to maneuver stationary.

Edited by Metralla