aluc4rd

Advanced Helicopter FDM Feedback

yep rotor overspeed crashed the game. i tried with few helicopters and same end, helicopter go to very high speed (+500.000km/h) and crash the game.

bug:

go to 1000m, cut throttle, go down in the direction of the ground,when the rotor makes a lot of noise, throttle max, straighten up and often the game crash

This has been noted previously in this thread and in bugs in the bug tracker. It isn't enough to just have a damage model for the transmission. Ideally excessive forces on the rotors should cause damage to the rotors.

Update to RotorLib 4.1.1 should be released with next dev branch update.

Edited by Dr. Hladik

From what little info I could find on the internet:

[RotorLib version 4.1.1] introduces significant model fidelity and run-time performance improvements.

Sounds promising.

yep rotor overspeed crashed the game. i tried with few helicopters and same end, helicopter go to very high speed (+500.000km/h) and crash the game.

bug:

go to 1000m, cut throttle, go down in the direction of the ground,when the rotor makes a lot of noise, throttle max, straighten up and often the game crash

Should be improved with the new RLib libraries we were provided. (The consequences may still be kind of... fireball-ish, but the game should no longer crash. Pls report back if it does.)

Update to RotorLib 4.1.1 should be released with next dev branch update.

And there it is. (no VRS yet)

18-09-2014

EXE rev. 127225 (game)

EXE rev. 127226 (launcher)

Size: ~94 MB

DATA

• Flight model values have been changed to RTD 4.1.1 standards

ENGINE

• RotorLib updated to 4.1.1

Maybe it's just a placebo effect (I can't find Rotorlib 4.1.1 changelog), but the helis without AFCS feel like they have some mass now, they feel better. Unfortunately flying those with AFCS (Hellcat and Orca especially) feel like I have to arm wrestle my joystick. I'm using X52Pro and sensitivity curve is completely messed up when it comes to rolling. Slightly leaning the stick I get almost no response, and heavier sends helicopter doing barrel rolls. There's very little room for fine control. When flying helicopters without AFCS, sensitivity feels great, steering an agile car feels a bit too sensitive, but manageable.

TL;DR Joystick sideways sensitivity for Hellcat, Orca, Mohawk and Commanche needs some adjustments. It's too low now.

You can adjust the axis in the options , I did that for my joystick when it was too sensitive side to side.

But the sensitivity is great for non AFCS helicopters, but not sensitive enough for self leveling ones. I'd have to change sensitivity every time I change helicopter.

Does anyone else have this problem, or is it only me?

Edited by Raven_JJ

What is VRS? I thought I recognize that acronym from some vbs vid I saw, but please enlighten me.

Edit;

Nvm you mean Vortex Ring State, my brain didn't put that together.

4.1.1 Rotorlib + Pawnee = no improvements to rotor torque, and RPM modeling. Ugghhh. A G loaded turn or pitch up should not result in a low RPM condition at speed. It should result in a rotor overspeed if anything.

The latest update with 4.1.1 made the helicopters (IMO) much more responsive and generally felt much smoother and more enjoyable to fly. The helicopters seem to react much closer to my inputs leading to less over-correcting. Or this could all be a placebo based on seeing an update ;)

While playing as zeus, when using the remote control on AI the advanced FDM does not work regardless of game settings.

Another small issue not directly related to the FDM, now that I'm spending more time with the helicopters (littlebird in particular) it's armor rating is far too low. A single round from a 9mm can effectively, and reliably disable the aircraft. To reproduce, shoot the back passenger seat towards the engine, or the hull near the engine. This will instantly turn the engine to yellow or red, both of which render the littlebird unable to take off. This leads quite often to falling out of the sky from a single stray round from any weapon.

I this a bug or a feature:

Some helos have some kind of autohover for the roll axis. In combination with the 0.5 sec. input lag I am unable to fly them, it just feels very weird. Why should a helicopter be stabilized on its roll but not on its nick axis?

I this a bug or a feature:

Some helos have some kind of autohover for the roll axis. In combination with the 0.5 sec. input lag I am unable to fly them, it just feels very weird. Why should a helicopter be stabilized on its roll but not on its nick axis?

It's a bug. I posted it way back on Aug 31st. It goes away if you enable auto-trim.

Can any one get an Orca off the ground? I can't. I crash the chopper, and crash the game in the process.

Just flew a bit with the AH-99 and it's really not in a flyable state imo. What's with the rpm? It's constantly fluctuating which makes flying quite unpredictable. Really small inputs make the rpm plummet. Anyone else?

The latest update with 4.1.1 made the helicopters (IMO) much more responsive and generally felt much smoother and more enjoyable to fly. The helicopters seem to react much closer to my inputs leading to less over-correcting. Or this could all be a placebo based on seeing an update ;)

While playing as zeus, when using the remote control on AI the advanced FDM does not work regardless of game settings.

Another small issue not directly related to the FDM, now that I'm spending more time with the helicopters (littlebird in particular) it's armor rating is far too low. A single round from a 9mm can effectively, and reliably disable the aircraft. To reproduce, shoot the back passenger seat towards the engine, or the hull near the engine. This will instantly turn the engine to yellow or red, both of which render the littlebird unable to take off. This leads quite often to falling out of the sky from a single stray round from any weapon.

It might be because BI used the civilian Hughes 500 instead of the military MH-6. It has no flares, the cockpit is weird, low armor rating, etcetera. Probably just a port from TKOH :/

It's a bug. I posted it way back on Aug 31st. It goes away if you enable auto-trim.

Can any one get an Orca off the ground? I can't. I crash the chopper, and crash the game in the process.

Yeah, I'm kind of concerned this still goes undressed by BI reps or dev branch updates.

I'm hoping BI isn't expecting everyone to just use auto-trim all the time, it really takes away a lot of the character from the flight models.

Heh, at least they take care of some better FM for Arma 3. The rest is BI speed, so just lean back ;)

Yeah, I'm kind of concerned this still goes undressed by BI reps or dev branch updates.

I'm hoping BI isn't expecting everyone to just use auto-trim all the time, it really takes away a lot of the character from the flight models.

To be fair I never filed a feedback tracker for it. Devs seem pretty active reading this thread, so I've only been posting issues here.

It might be because BI used the civilian Hughes 500 instead of the military MH-6. It has no flares, the cockpit is weird, low armor rating, etcetera. Probably just a port from TKOH :/

I just loaded up TKOH to do some quick testing... What I found is the civilian light heli's are nearly indestructible in terms of engine damage. 100 rounds from a machine gunner into the back/engine location did next to nothing (200 rounds and it blew up). It wasn't until I used another littlebird with mounted weapons before I was able to get a result... The heli bellowed smoke after a dozen or two rounds but still flew without much issue, and the instrument panel showed the engine was fine. There doesn't appear to be any bullet penetration into the engine block, instead all damage goes towards the overall hull. I don't think it's a direct port.

A balance needs to be found between TKOH's and Arma 3's littlebird damage system. In Arma 3 the hummingbirds are currently far to fragile to be considered for transport remotely near a firefight. Even taking pot shots at one from a distance can send it falling to the ground. Given the option, more times than not, I'd increase the weight by reinforcing the hull around the engine because a 9mm should not be a one hit kill.

Off the top of my head, my solution could be something along the lines of: engine and internal instruments can not be damaged until the hull is yellow, or red.

This thread is for the FDM so I don't think we should continue discussion of this here, it was more of an after thought to my previous post.

Agree with you since I prefer to fly with manual trim.

/KC