Rydygier

[SP] HETMAN: War Stories

Thx Rydygier for your work, i have some trouble with new beta, on this moment I not have time to long test play, weekend incoming :). Still In my opinion manually set position  forces in battle is good idea, and add option density motorized groups. But HWS is still one of the best things in A3, many thx.

sorry for my English.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 8:04 AM, Rydygier said:

Could be better on the smaller map though. 

not sure, if one can simply paste new scripts into old ports to update them. Maybe so, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

Tried porting to Fallujah and Livonia maps. In both cases initialisation failed due to insufficient locations found.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Rydygier said:

HWS wip2

PS also would be good to check, if/how latest code changes could break normal battles...

Tried some normal battles on Livonia (Looters vs Spetsnaz which works in 1.09) but the mission hangs at loading screen with this error

Spoiler

22:52:02 Error in expression <t (_vehClass >> _x >> "faction"));

if (not ({_fac == ((_x select 0) select 0)} >
22:52:02   Error position: <not ({_fac == ((_x select 0) select 0)} >
22:52:02   Error not: Type Number, expected Bool
22:52:02 File missions\__cur_sp.enoch\init.sqf..., line 1574

EDIT: Tried wip1 and wip2 missions on Altis for normal battles. wip1 works, it's just wip2 that doesn't work.

Edited by alky_lee
  • Like 1

Tried porting to Fallujah and Livonia maps. In both cases initialisation failed due to insufficient locations found.

OK, I'lll test with complete porting, including updated set of editor objects, first to Fallujah, can't test on Livonia though, I do not own Contact DLC, tight budget lately. 

Tried some normal battles on Livonia (Looters vs Spetsnaz which works in 1.09) but the mission hangs at loading screen with this error

This code adds unit class to the pool, if it is of one of chosen factions, so not bound to the map directly, but something with used units/factions. Again - can't test Contact stuff, but I'll check this code and will have my eyes open. 

Thanks for your feedback, it will help. 🙂

Before downloading I checked, how actually Fallujah map looks like. Seems, it indeed somewhat lacks locations.

hi, Rydygier! thank you for your continuing work on HWS. last WIP2 is brilliant! with its ability of easy choosing factions and simple portability it will be a source of endless fun! :yay:

"Whole map" + HAL - it's what I've been waiting for years.

first try was on Sahrani with SLA vs RACS+ION. both sides spawned with good variety of units. there were a few static weapons, heilys, havy and light armor. RACS was even lucky to spawn a ship: Clipboard02.jpg 

:)

this time I wasnt able to watch firefight, because of the starting positions of sides (RACS at NE part of island, SLA - at SW). fire contact in Corazol was not happened in 50 minutes of testing. but I was able to observe their actions to capture points.  RACS send small groups to all nearest points, while the main force remained motionless at the starting position. SLA moved a couple of infantry groups to Ortego by helicopters in the first few minutes. one group began patrolling the area, and the other occupied several buildings. then several more vehicles came up. but on this their activity ended. in the next 40 minutes SLA did not try to move to new points.

next few tests was RF vs PLA and RF vs US on Namalsk. well now managed to die already in first couple of minutes. :)) right after starting chinese arty covered our positions with heavy fire. :)

due to the opportunity of a quick change of factions, I decided to familiarize myself with CFP mod and accidentally discovered a small bug. in faction choice window, if you check 1-st faction in list, at the same time, the 33rd becomes checked too. so cursor marks N-th and N+32 lines simultaneously.

since my computer is also quite weak, I tried to test it on a dedicated server. if to comment out the first line in Init.sqf, then the mission can be run on dedi. in this case respawn and support menu (0-8) will not work, but it still possible to test mission in hardcore mode with only life. :)))

I will not complain about errors as I ran game with a bunch of other mods. just noted that HWS completely prevents Advanced AI Command mod from working. 

thank you! i`ll keep testing.

• Like 2

Hey, thanks for your feedback, appreciated. BTW not sure, should I treat that ship on the hill as bad thing or rather good one. 🙂

For now busy elsewhere, but let bug reports coming, guys, soonish I should be back to this. 

Hi, I just tried out wip2 and got the same errors as pointed out above. The mission just hangs with only CBA and HAL enabled.

Edited by bloodborne24

The mission just hangs with only CBA and HAL enabled.

Thanks for the report. To make this clear - do not play HWS with HAL enabled. It is like running Hetman twice - all sort of weird things may happen. HWS includes HAL.

Here's HWS wip3.

Changes:

Error in expression <t (_vehClass >> _x >> "faction")); etc. should be fixed now;

- corrected logic for finding a close land position near a location (some location positions, often for Tanoa harbours for example, can be actually located on the water) - it could sometimes cause infinite search/errorless stuck during loading screen (at 50%);

- tested porting using Tanoa - works, but used that opportunity to review the code searching for a landmass with biggest number of proper locations (to avoid spreading forces between more, than one sub-island on archipelago kind of maps).

So if in the "whole map" mode you notice armies are separated by the sea without any land connection - please, report with a screenshot - it's against intended logic. 

As for ships on the hill, figured, it's clearly a good thing, I mean - where else you can fight with a ship on a hill, right? And seriously - mods can do such jokes, so as long it is modded content, it has to be tolerated, scripts can try to differentiate between boats and land vehicles, but if some visually naval vessel is configured like, say, static weaponry, it will be treated by HWS as static weaponry. Unless you see vanilla boats spawned as land units - then it's a bug.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rydygier said:

- then it's a bug.

It’s not a bug ... it’s a feature.

• Like 1

"whole map" mode also doesn't work on several more maps. IceBreakr`s Pantera and Duala failed mission initialisation with msg "not enough relevant locations found". same for MSKE (four OFP islands in single map).

Edited by velzevul
missed same report about Falluja earlier.

I never could get WIP2 to load after the factions setup screen because it would hang and never finish loading. WIP3 loads just fine but I have issues with corrupt game saves. Some of them work just fine but others load to a black screen. That's with GM, all of RHS and 3CB Factions loaded. Custom faction mods are my primary reason for playing HWS so I really have no desire to play without them. On the positive side, the gameplay I've experienced so far playing as late Cold War US Army against the Soviet Army has been fairly epic. From the side of a hill I watched a massive battle take place in the distance. Very cool!

"not enough relevant locations found"

I'll check that, but it is possible. Whole map mode expects decent number of locations on the single landmass to make any sense. It also may depend, what kind of locations map creator put on his map, as script looks for only certain types of them. That being said, from what I recall from A2 times, Duala should have enough locations, so I need to modify code probably. 

WIP3 loads just fine but I have issues with corrupt game saves. Some of them work just fine but others load to a black screen. That's with GM, all of RHS and 3CB Factions loaded. 

Sadly, corrupted game saves aren't something, I could cause or fix with SQF scripts. It's something beyond my reach. HWS may at most create a circumstancies (like putting lots of custom content simultanously in fight), that trigger some flaws in the mods or game itself, which would result with what you are describing.  

BTW I've general policy in my projects to make my scripts working refering to vanilla. It's healthy rule. Mods can bring nearly any weird thing to the mix, impossible to predict, I would end up plain crazy or, worse, would hate scripting, if trying to make my scripts work with "all the mods out there". Futile anyway. Or even with only some of them in that matter. I do however sometimes test my scripts with chosen mods if that way I can discover some general flaws in my code (like it may be with the above issue with maps). 

talking about locations. may i spam some related questions? sorry if some/all of them are premature. 🙂 what sense of size and color of dots designating locations on map? does bigger dot mean more valuable target? any map has airports. is it possible to make capturing airfields would give access to spawn some faction aircrafts? is there any conditions of location capture? will the win conditions changed for "whole map" mode? for now game still ends with "loosing will of fight" by one of side disregarding number of captured locations. 

does bigger dot mean more valuable target?

Yes. Colors - purple/violet: not taken. Blue: taken by A side. Red: taken by B side. In the code both Big Boss sides creates own set of these markers though, so they overlap (and value may be subjective - not the same for both sides). Must to think about this overapping though. 

any map has airports. is it possible to make capturing airfields would give access to spawn some faction aircrafts? 

Not in current HWS logic. All is spawned once, at init. Such stuff is possible, but would need brand new code. Unlikely to happen, to be honest.

is there any conditions of location capture?

Long enough presence of certain number of units of one side in certain radius (300) with lack of hostile units in another radius (500) around it. Radiuses have nothing in common with marker's sizes BTW. Time (60 seconds) and number (1) was minimized here to speed up the progress. 

will the win conditions changed for "whole map" mode?

Since now there are two Leaders per BB side - yes. Should stay analogous, but checked for both Leaders together. I see, some code changes will be needed here though.

• Thanks 1

thank you for quick answers. good luck in further improving HWS. waiting for WIP4 or RC. 🙂

IceBreakr`s Pantera and Duala failed mission initialisation with msg "not enough relevant locations found". 

Downloaded Duala, prepared a port, tested - works! 12 locations found on the single landmass. Check here.

duala-hws.jpg

Especially, how you make a port in EDEN - EDEN objects are different now, and there's less of them. 

4 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Downloaded Duala, prepared a port, tested - works! 12 locations found on the single landmass. Check here.

this one works, but i`m totally confused. if i drag "RYD_WS_Caller" a bit aside the mission does not start and writes message about locations. https://i.postimg.cc/yNL6CwfS/Clipboard02.jpg

Does the coordinates of "RYD_WS_Caller" gamelogic object matter when porting to other map?

I see no reason, why game logic coords should change anything. I've tried same thing, and I got an error. Tried 3 times, at the third there was no error. Seems, it has nothing to do with Caller object (shouldn't definitelly), just coincidence. There's some other reason, why one try it works, other - it doesn't. Now, since I can repro the issue and see log about certain place in the script, I can investigate this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 3:15 AM, Rydygier said:

Sadly, corrupted game saves aren't something, I could cause or fix with SQF scripts. It's something beyond my reach. HWS may at most create a circumstancies (like putting lots of custom content simultanously in fight), that trigger some flaws in the mods or game itself, which would result with what you are describing. 

Thanks for the response. The issue seems to have resolved itself though. It may have just been a glitch caused by a mod or A3 itself not loading properly or perhaps something else. After a computer restart and reload of A3, everything seems to work fine now.

Good to hear. 🙂

Meanwhile, HWS wip4

Changes:

- problems with location choosing should be fixed;

- corrected battle end conditions code (requires tests though);

- improved objectves markers (no more overlapping, I hope).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rydygier said:

- problems with location choosing should be fixed;

yep, had no problems with porting anymore. thanks!

- corrected battle end conditions code (requires tests though);

encountered end condition that haven't been seen before: "both sides lost their HQ". does it mean that both officers on every side was killed? it is a fair condition, but behaviour of that officers is abit questionable. usually they acts like suiciders: tries capture frontline locations; travels alone, without any guarding units.

- improved objectves markers (no more overlapping, I hope).

about markers. not sure, but it seems, marker color didn't changed when point was captured. at start it was nearest "violet" location, marked as "current objective". after some time (much longer than 60 sec) of presence our units, marker "current objective" was moved to next location, but color of location remained violet.

is it possible to keep faction colors that choosen for playing for side? scheme "A - blue, B - red" is not confusing only in case A = WEST and B = EAST. what if somebody will play RESvsBLUE? 🙂 of course, this is not a priority thing at all, but it is just seems logical.

p.s.: any chance of fixing bug in factions choosing interface for "shitload of factions" maniacs? 🙂

does it mean that both officers on every side was killed? 

Yes, they might actually all be killed, sure, unless this is false due to some logic error in the code. Either way - I'll check. Making Leaders less vulnerable will be hard to achieve though. They need to follow "front line", too many stuff is calculated in relation to their position. HAL's legacy. And spending anyway scarce forces as body guards to keep them alive may weaken offensive to much (Hetman can use some SF groups in that purpose sometimes though, but nothing will save the Leader from arty). Best course of changes would be leaving Leaders far beyond the front, making them not follow their troops, but in that case there's serious work to do in the HAL code, including figuring out another reference point as main army "hub". Maybe it will happen, but not soon. 

after some time (much longer than 60 sec) of presence our units, marker "current objective" was moved to next location, but color of location remained violet.

Thanks, I'll check that too.

• Thanks 1

A simple and simplyfying workaround, that could be done fast regarding Leader's survivability may be making them invisible/invicible... It could be possibly fast to do temporary or permanent solution. Let's pretend, HQs are hidden far from battlefield, as probably usually is in real life. 

7 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

A simple and simplyfying workaround, that could be done fast regarding Leader's survivability may be making them invisible/invicible... It could be possibly fast to do temporary or permanent solution. Let's pretend, HQs are hidden far from battlefield, as probably usually is in real life. 

yes. maybe make "working officers" invisible and invicible for proper actions of whole armies and add one more officer to pretend HQ in safe, well guarded area. killing that one will trigger "loosing side HQ" win condition. is it possible in HWS mechanics?