Rydygier

[SP] HETMAN: War Stories

Has anyone else encountered a possible compatibility problem with HWS and The Unsung Vietnam Mod? 

I used to be able to use this Vietnam mod in HWS, but now it refuses to load any HWS scenario while Vietnam mod is uploaded (even if no Vietnam mod entities are involved in the chosen scenario).

I believe this seeming incompatibility may be somehow related to a recent update to Unsung Vietnam Mod, and not a problem based on Hetman or HWS, but since it's a popular mod knowing about this would save folks some time and from hours of frustration. 

Released HWS 1.07. Links:

HWS 1.07 (Dropbox)

HWS 1.07 (Dropbox) - open folder

Changes:

- removed some static weaponry as possible spawns (big AAA sets from Jets DLC etc.);
- more restrictive search for flat spawn area for helicopters;
- corrected broken animation for main setting menu scene (pure aesthetic thing noticeable only, if you wait 3 minutes till the end of main settings menu camera passage, most likely may be ignored in the ports, done via adding new dummy player object with one change in the code to delete it later on);
- changed background color for Advanced Setup window.

Workshop entry updated. 

If you note, so there are still spawned weird/big static weaponry (or any other weird one), please, let me know. Changes made in the init.sqf, WS_fnc.sqf, GUI files (version number updated) and in the editor (sqm file). The rest, including Hetman component not changed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rydygier for the update, appreciate all your work!

I would like to show you some erros i have been noticing in the RPT Logs with HWS, they have appeared consistently each time i port,test and play then.

1st Error

17:10:03 Error in expression <random (count _fcsA)));

selectPlayer _player;

RYD_WS_ForcesA = _fcsA;
RYD_WS>
17:10:03   Error position: <_player;

RYD_WS_ForcesA = _fcsA;
RYD_WS>
17:10:03   Error Undefined variable in expression: _player
17:10:03 File C:\Users\Romme\Documents\Arma 3\missions\HWS%20BrayDunes.SWU_Dunkirk_Bray_Dunes_1940\init.sqf, line 1492

2nd (this and the above aren't disruptive)

17:10:03 Error in expression <

if (RydHQ_RHQAutoFill) then
{
[] call RYD_PresentRHQ
};>
17:10:03   Error position: <RYD_PresentRHQ
};>
17:10:03   Error Undefined variable in expression: ryd_presentrhq

3rd (and the most important i think, seems to be the one crashing the mission loading on some terrains, and sometimes)

17:10:04 Error in expression <);
}
foreach _cluster;

_center = [_midX/(count _cluster),_midY/(count _cluster)>
17:10:04   Error position: </(count _cluster),_midY/(count _cluster)>
17:10:04   Error Zero divisor
17:10:18 Shutdown normally

Some notes and questions:

Certain terrains don't work well with HWS (the ones without proper config [it is terrain maker side job/fault anyway], i see that WS rely on natural markers "Cities,Villages,mountains, etc...") because of the way your script sees the terrain itself; Any improvement on how War Stories analises map, its strategic positions and spawns the battlefield around would be amazing :)

Maybe add the possibility to point on map wich strategic points the battle will be for? (point where obj1/Obj2/... and so will be [Hetman logic])

Well, indeed, some maps aren't suitable for HWS, which may result with the last error. Proper config, true, is crucial here, and HWS assumes, the map is complete and properly done. Locations, enough space etc. I'll try to analyze these errors, but don't know, if find anything, I could improve, if these errors occur only on certain ports, especially some wip maps - there's by definition no warranty. Hard to expect, the code will coopoerate flawlessly with anything, what one could throw at it, there are some requirements assumed. 

I could try to replace/supplement location-based perception of the map with some bare topography approach, as reserve, and/or even some manual pointing but not sure, how soon I'l make such attempt. 

• Thanks 1

Released HWS 1.08. Links:

HWS 1.08 (Dropbox)

HWS 1.08 (Dropbox) - open folder

Changes:

- Code should better tolerate poorly made/wip maps;

- errors handling - error messages in case of not sufficient map or no recognized properly faction classes instead of script errors on screen;

- in case of too few locations on the map, code will try to generate procedural locations layer across the map (based on topography, longer loading pause at around 50% progress);

- ability to choose freely/force manually battle location via new GUI button (map click) and/or via Advanced Setup: RYD_WS_BattlePosition = [x,y,0];.

Workshop entry updated. 

If you note, so there are still displayed script errors or new error messages on screen for certain maps/factions, please, let me know about these errors and for which map/factions it occured, so I could test these mods and try to fix the issue. Procedural locations layer wasn't tested in real gameplay, I'll be grateful for any feedback - please, try porting on the maps without (m)any locations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately i cannot play new version of this mission with RHS mods loaded, it goes stuck on load screen after side-chose screen every time. Without RHS there is no problem.

Thanks for reporting. With custom factions it is always a possibility (with any mods in general), because one can't never be sure, how creators designed their mod. Probably I'll check that out of curiosity, in case, I can improve somehow HWS code against such errors, but next RHS version may generate another conflict and so forth. Also, I didn't check RHS long time, but when I did last time, their faction classification was... far from classical, which anyway made HWS battles weird. Meanwhile, if you wish, show me RPT file from one of such attempts, some hints may be inside. 

HWS on Valtatie 5 (VT5) has started working, Fayshkhabur still is not. Many thanks for your job in HWS.

Thanks for reporting, I'll try to check this Fayshkhabur as well. 

The RHS problem seems to be here:

19:51:05 Error in expression <etText (configfile >> "CfgMagazines" >> _mag >> "ammo");

_isAT = (getNumber (co>
19:51:05   Error position: <_mag >> "ammo");

_isAT = (getNumber (co>
19:51:05   Error Undefined variable in expression: _mag
19:51:05 Error in expression <etText (configfile >> "CfgMagazines" >> _mag >> "ammo");

_isAT = (getNumber (co>
19:51:05   Error position: <_mag >> "ammo");

_isAT = (getNumber (co>
19:51:05   Error Undefined variable in expression: _mag
19:51:05 Error in expression <then
{
_ammoC = configfile >> "CfgAmmo" >> _subAmmo
};

_actHit = getNumber (_am>
19:51:05   Error position: <>> _subAmmo
};

_actHit = getNumber (_am>
19:51:05   Error >>: Type Config entry, expected String

The RHS problem seems to be here:

Thanks a lot. Makes sense. If something goes wrong with custom stuff, that would be usually due to unusual config. 

These errors pop up for variants of "grenadier_rpg" RHS units, I'm looking into it. Although in my case this didn't block the gameplay, battle started properly, so perhaps there's another issue too. Question is: which component of RHS was loaded when:

it goes stuck on load screen after side-chose screen every time

RPT could be helpful here as well. I was testing on RHSAFRF.

All right, it is due to different order, than in vanilla, inside "weapons" config entry. Was assumed, secondary weapon goes as second, but in RHS is fourth. Now I have to figure out, how to avoid such assumptions in the logic. Still, there have to be more issues, than this one. 

_ammoC = configfile >> "CfgAmmo" >> _subAmmo

So far I do not see this one. Seems code error in rarely used part of the code? Can't reproduce, but I'll correct the code anyway. I'm downloading rest of the RHS components to test more. First issue should be sorted out. 

But also I see, "simulation" of RHS vehicles isn't standard, thus for example RHS's helicopters aren't recognized as helicopters, thus not included at all. I start to think, RHS may be simply too different from vanilla, too alien to make HWS corrections an effort worthy of attempt, but I'll see, how it goes further. In any case,as for RHS I would suggest rather to use Advanced Setup and paste there old fashioned HAL's manually collected RHQ sets than rely on procedural autofill.

Some RHS factions are empty (no units tagged as belonging to this faction). Don't choose for example USA (USMC), but (USMC - W) or (USMC - D) instead. 

Still didn't encountered scenario loading-stuck error. 

Fayshkhabur

Is that even A3 map? I can't make it load properly, obviously requires A2 content. (nvm, somewhat works with CUP Terrains core)

As for Fayshkabur:

Reason, why there's no battle is, there's no troops spawned. Troops aren't spawned, because at each attempt every position is rejected as being out of the map boundry. It is so, because test, if position is in the map boundries, is based on "mapSize" config entry. In the config viewer I see, this value is 20480 for "Fayshkabur" class, which seems valid. But this:

_mapSize = getNumber (configFile >> "CfgWorlds" >> worldName >> "mapSize");

returns 2048, not 20480, so each coord > 2048 is treated as out of map boundries. It is because, worldName returns not "Fayshkabur" class, as one could expect, but also existing for some reason class "BMFayshkabur". In the latter class "mapSize" value is invalid: 2048. 

Bottom line is, HWS will not work on this map due to faulty map config, that I can't compensate with code logic. 

Well, maybe somebody will "refresh" Fayshkhabur someday. If you were very bored, add to the HWS battles in the form of a front line, once again, thanks for your contribution to Arma.

I try to make HWS work with Star Wars opposition but HWS stop loading after the choice of factions.

Tested with vanilla factions with the mod loaded and it's the same.

The sub window with the loading bar isn't there and I didn't find any errors in the rpt.

https://vk.com/swopposition

Also, could you find a way to create custom factions like Alive does but with more compatibility with HWS.

Factions created with Alive works but can't find a way to make HWS spawn helicopters or air transports.

Tested with mods like There is only war (Warhammer 40K mod)

Not sure, how Alive's custom faction works, never heard about it before. As far I can imagine such feature implementation... well, not trivial thing (dynamic config generation). Also frankly not quite convinced to the idea. As far, as I understood, what I just read about it, this tool doesn't create ready-to-use in game faction (that would be something...), but copies to the clipboard a complete faction config, that need to be pasted into an addon or description.ext, if possible, and that's too far from what HWS is. To me looks like hassle not worthy of required efford, so implementing such thing into HWS is unlikely. 

I'll try to download and test this Star Wars mod to see, what the problem is and, if possible, improve the code, although the mod seems a bit obcure - hard to find any downloads apart from the link, you gave. Maybe it is just "too wip"?

• Like 1

There is a custom AC3 + main

map pack is not needed

OPPOSITION ACE3
------------------------------—
Steam -> http://shrinkearn.com/SWOPACE3Steam
Google Drive -> http://shrinkearn.com/SWOPACE3

STARWARS OPPOSITION
----------------------------------------—
Main Pack :
Google Drive -> http://shrinkearn.com/SWOPMAINGoogle
Mega -> http://shrinkearn.com/SWOPMAINMega
Yandex Disk -> http://shrinkearn.com/SWOPMAINYandex

Maps Pack:
Google Drive -> http://shrinkearn.com/SWOPMAPSGoogle
Mega -> http://shrinkearn.com/SWOPMAPSMega
Yandex Disk -> http://shrinkearn.com/SWOPMAPSYandex

Alive orbat creator help create a faction with vanilla class names for mods that use custom names.

But it only works on group of units, not individual like Helicopters. 

I try to make HWS work with Star Wars opposition but HWS stop loading after the choice of factions.

Tested with vanilla factions with the mod loaded and it's the same.

Tested with vanilla factions chosen, and it worked for me, perhaps my latest, not yet released changes fixes also that. But when I'm choosing blue Empire vs Confederacy, initialization fails with "no force to use" message. I'm investigating that. 

BTW, I've strong suspition, that SW mod creators either have or will have trademark/copyright legal troubles...

Empire (blue) doesn't work, because faction name in its units' config doesn't match this faction's factual class  name. It is "BLU_F" instead (vanilla NATO, but these units not visible in editor's GUI). For other faction (Republic) I was able to play (although mod generated later more errors, like weird RHS config error message (No entry 'bin\config.bin.RHSUSF_BarrelRefractHeavy'), unwanted dependency or something). Anyway, nothing, I could fix on my end in this case, they just need to sort out their configs. 

<- post number 4000! :)

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, piter306 said:

try this

I tried Alive compat mod and it didn't work on version 1.06....affecting my own private map portings ( I don't know how to update them).

now that there have been several updates lately, I don't know if a problem in new HWS ports. 

Hey, is there a way to disable artillery spawns? If I use a custom faction the War Stories spawn something like 6 D-30s and M119 per side + couple of mortar teams and the arty is VISCOUS as hell. The arty spam is real.

Rather not. Maybe some hacky script injected via advanced setup window, that will wait till battle begin, then delete arty vehicles already spawned... Unless the mod holds arty models in separate pbos. Then you may try to move them out of the addons folder and see, if mod allows to play without them. However, according to the script, for normal sized battle there should be usually no more, than 2 static arty. If there's more, then for some reason at least some arty from that mod is classified as other, non-static kind of land force. No idea, why, but with custom configs of modded stuff all is possible.