Rydygier

[SP] HETMAN: War Stories

If I create my own map what fun is that if I already know what is here?

That depends. Editor allows tricks, so you can't be sure what and where is and what it does. Also you indeed may want to try HWS, it's an example of the unpredictable SP battle generator, not the only one. 

Guy said wonderful SP content created by company - he said nothing about user content.

Perhaps he liked Arma mostly for official content. Important is, if and why you could like Arma, not some guy in the store, right? IMHO the truth is, official content in Arma is just a foretaste. Real Arma begins, where users' creativity begins. This Forum is full of it. If you bought A3 just for the official content... well, maybe you'll like it, same, as that guy. But it's not, Arma 3 is primarily about. 

So I repeat the question - anyone please know a game which has SP like BF 2?

You may get more attention and valuable answers in the offtopic - games section than here, so as soon you'll be able to start own thread, I suggest you to go ask this question there, this thread is about particular A3 scenario, and here are visiting mostly people interesting in HWS only.

On player-created missions can AL skill be changed?

IF I download hardcore can I change skill so it becomes less that or medium?

There are ways. Above all, try Options -> Game -> Difficulty. There are some AI settings. Depending, what you consider as medium, you may want set them pretty low, especially precision, but you have to try yourself. 

So I just began playing this mission again for the first time since apex came out. I havent purchased apex so I have the demo units. Anyway I created a CSAT vs FIA 1:3 medium scale match and spawned as a marksman in a 5 man Chinese recon team, sitting in one of those new QingLing vehicles. No probrem, we get a recon task direct in the enemy area, so our sgt. commands our driver to head out. He yells nonstop chinese at the driver for the whole ride (great immersion) until 3 FIA guerillas run across the road and we hit the breaks. FIA manage to kill the sgt. the driver and the Qinlin swerved off the road. The gunner opened up and killed 2 FIA, then he got hit by a large round coming from across the valley. We drove right in the middle of the FIA assault.  I was hit too and bailed, crawled to some bushes to heal, and looked for the last guerilla who had run off. I was put in charge of the team, which was just me and pvt. Ping Yong Chang, who I ordered to take cover in the shack across the road. I hopped in the minigun to see if I could engage the trucks across the valley, but all I got was SHIFT+P, purchase apex now! I couldn't shoot the gun. At that point pvt. Chang was freaking out and refused to take over the minigun. We then got smacked in a huge grenade barrage and that was it. 

My question is, how can I limit the spawned units to vanilla a3?

Is there something I can type in the init to limit factions? The Apex CSAT faction is "OPF_T_F" I believe. 

:) Quite a war story. 

So, faction A/faction B settings doesn't work, as supposed and scenario uses APEX factions even if non-APEX was chosen? I see CSAT and  CSAT (Pacific) listed as separate factions, so if choosing CSAT gives Pacific units, it's a bug.

HWS wasn't touched pretty long time ago (long before APEX), so can't really remember details of the code, luckilly last weeks I was able to push forward my to do list, and HWS update is closer now, still not sure, when. Thing is, if official way to choose faction fails, then hard to say, what makeshift init code could fix the problem without full bug hunt investigation. Now I can only tell, there are defined two global variables holding both factions:

RYD_WS_FacA

RYD_WS_FacB

These are arrays looking for example like this: [0,"CSAT","opf_f"] (default for east side). So theoretically you could eg try to redefine them in the advanced setup window (RYD_WS_FacB = [0,"CSAT","opf_f"];), but may be first diag_log them into RPT to learn, how their content refers to actual chosen factions. If looks wrong, then try to redefine indeed with proper faction class (last entry, all lowercase), if however diag_log looks good, same, as you would redefine, still wrong faction is present - sorry, bug happens after advanced setup is executed and can't tell now, how to prevent if possible. 

Playing again this morning I saw in the asset lists that there are apex units in the Altis CSAT faction. These are the Qinlin cars, and predator-mask Chinese operators (viper). So its not an error with HWS faction select. Since my only issue with this is that I can't fire the apex guns, I guess there are a few options:

1. Somehow disable apex expansion

2. Stop specific units from spawning

3. Buy apex

Ad 1 - No clue, how. 

Ad 2 - possible only via direct HWS code editing (I'll try to do so at HWS update). 

Ad 3 - if you can afford - recommended. IMO Tanoa itself makes it worthy of these money. 

On 16.03.2017 at 0:37 AM, Rydygier said:

luckilly last weeks I was able to push forward my to do list, and HWS update is closer now

it is good news! :) cause, i liked this mission much. is it possible to make it playable on dedicated server?  as large-scale battles on local comp have turned my game in turn-based strategy. :) 

Not sure about dedicated - if or how to. Necessity of some code editing expected. In general, Hetman code should be run from the server. 

My free time over for now, but I'm much closer to HWS update, than before. Just required one more window of free time. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Necessity of some code editing expected. In general, Hetman code should be run from the server. 

hope, it will require only minor changes. i just wasn't able to begin mission because of absence of start options UI, when tryed HWS on my dedicated serv.

p.s.: thanks for your work on addons! FFE is in my "musthave" list forever! :)

Interesting. It wast just a week or two ago when I struggled with a very similar problem: I wanted to add an option to weapon shop which would hide all guns that are from DLC's player doesn't own. This proved to be a lot harder than it first looked like, as Bohemia hasn't done a great job on marking which assets belong to which DLC into the config classes themselves. Sure, there is 'DLC = "Expansion"' in _some_ classes here and there, but I've not found it to be very consistent unfortunately, at least I'm not seeing a clear pattern.
However, there is an asset list in (configfile >> "CfgMods" >> "Expansion" >> "Assets") for all(?) APEX stuff, the reference to a class is stored as an array in (configfile >> "CfgMods" >> "Expansion" >> "Assets" >> *THE_ASSET_YOU_WANT* >> "reference").

I've yet to find a great solution for using this in any meaningful way, but maybe some day...

Anyway, years later, I still freaking love this mission! This is probably the best way in SP to experience a true milsim kind of scenario. I can remember having so much fun with this, especially when RHS units used to work with it! =) Rydygier, you truly are an inspiration for all of us noobs trying to find our way with scripting. 

Hi,

Perhaps I've missed something however I can't work out how to call in Close Air Support, or Artillery or Transport.  I'm of course assuming these features are in the mission ?   Please assist, great fun to play otherwise.

It's not your call. :) It is silently assumed, any group in need is calling for support. If transport, artillery or air units are randomized to be present and fight on your side, then it is up to HAL's AI, when where and how to use them. So you may get such assistance, if your HQ so decides.

Thanks for your reply....

Interesting, I didn't realise it was controlled by my HQ (I'm a bit new to this).  I was in quite a firefight the other day and there was just my squad of 4 and we were pinned down.  Ended up getting slaughtered, would've been nice to have some air support or something at that stage ;)  Perhaps in future versions we may get some menu options for this.

Was also wondering if it's possible to have unit names shown on the map similar to how they are shown in your Hetman Artificial Leader mod ? 

Is it possible to remove the intro part of the mission ?  When the text is "typed" on the screen.   It takes forever, it types the words extremely slowly and can take almost 3 minutes to finish. 

If it types forewer, then something went wrong on your end, because normally it doesn't take long. No idea, what. To remove this part some changes in scripts are required (thus some scripting skills). Also lags may be still present, if not caused by typing itself. 

If you wish to try, edit init.sqf at lines 2154-2176, perhaps this way (not tested):

RYD_init_cam camSetRelPos [0,100,1000];
RYD_init_cam camCommit 0.5;

RYD_WS_Typed = true;

/*	[
		[
			[_briefing,nil]
		],

nil,
		nil,
		nil

] spawn RYD_BIS_fnc_typeText;*/

sleep 0.5;

[] execVM "RydHQInit.sqf";

RYD_init_cam camSetTarget _vh;
RYD_init_cam camSetPos ((_vh modelToWorld [0,-35 - (_maxHeight - _targetHeight),_maxHeight - _targetHeight + 10]));
RYD_init_cam camCommit 1.0;

sleep 1.0;

Tried making the changes to the init.sqf as suggested. Made no difference, is still woefully slow at this "intro" screen.  Please remove in future versions. My PC certainly has the hardware to run ARMA 3 without any problems. It's just the intro screen of this mission that slows it right down. In game it works fine.

8 hours ago, Pyjter said:

Port this mission to FayshKhabur, for me not working on this map.

I tried but the mission hangs at mission start on this terrain.

I've still yet to see any kind of support from "HQ" while playing this.   Can see plenty of radio calls from other troops requesting support however I've been pinned down numerous times now and have never received artillery or air support, or any chopper transport out.   How and when is this supposed to happen ??

Some general rules you may find in the HAL manual (see chapters 5.4, 5.5 and 5.11). Assuming, all works, as should. Apart from that, of course, proper support/arty unit must be present on the map, which is heavily random, but rather scarce IIRC, so even, if there is such vehicle, it's good chance, it's busy already. In general, due to many factors both scripted and dynamically appeared due to organized chaos of the course of events don't treat support as something sure, reliable, immediate etc. Likely many of the support calls, you saw, wasn't satisfied either. Rather be happy, if/when it happen. I think, most often you should see arty support, because they at least don't need to reach destination of supported troops. But then again, arty is rather rare, conditions of usage rather strict and possible targets often many to choose from. Using RydHQ_Debug = true;RydHQB_Debug = true; at least allows to see on the map currently prepared/conducted fire missions. 

An example. Just tried three times. 1st - no arty, no logistical support present (judging by military markers on the map), but there was some choppers. 2nd - no arty, one repair vehicle present, that's all. 

3rd time was with single Scorcher unit on our side. Enemy was far, took defensive position, my group was on recon before the attack. Knowing thanks to debug markers, where enemies are, I detoured a bit and personally spotted and (automatically) informed HQ about hostile truck. There was no other targets known and this one met all the conditions, so HQ soon assigned fire mission (radio message + green comm text on the map), rounds was shot, target was destroyed. Pretty satisfying. That's how it was looking:

ff_1.jpg

ff_2.jpg

ff_3.jpg

ff_4.jpg

This way it works in HAL/HWS. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed replied.  I'll just keep playing and see what happens.  Another quiestion for you...

How do Use this section "5.4 Cargo System/infantry movement of long distances" as described in the HAL document.  It says that it's disabled by default however I'm not sure how to enable it using the advanced config variables.

In HAL it is disabled by default, but for HWS I enabled it. This way, in the init.sqf: RydHQ_CargoFind = 1;RydHQB_CargoFind = 1;, so you don't need to enable it. 

Note however, even if at the moment there is some not busy cargo vehicle, all other conditions described in 5.4 have to be met. If so, then after your group is tasked with proper kind of mission, it will wait at some position till cargo vehicle arrive, then all should get "embark" order etc. Could be less reliable with aerial vehicles, for example sometimes they tend to go up too soon or even fail to land. 

Thanks again Rydygier.  Great mission, doesn't port to some maps unfortunately and that intro does run very slow at times however still a lot of fun. 

Another couple of ports. Both work with CSAT & NATO factions. Recommended to use extra vehicles on Lythium and you'll be lucky to find the officer on Taunus

Lythium Terrain - https://www.dropbox.com/s/vczd4f31fpzcrln/HWS_3_Lythium.lythium.pbo?dl=0

boEkxT8.png

and Xcam Taunus - https://www.dropbox.com/s/sny6jna9lr2vkew/HWS_2_Taunus.xcam_taunus.pbo?dl=0

RPZNVd7.png

• Thanks 2