Rydygier

[SP] HETMAN: War Stories

Specifics? What's that faction/mod? Some mods apparently makes problems when spawned under loading screen in big numbers - same is for Pilgrimage mission, not sure, what's the real reason, but it is accompanied by such huge delays. Also some mods doen't provide all, what's needed to construct a proper "army".

I just had crazy mission: infantry with light vehicles only, I died some time into mission and I took over a Hunter driver and it got crazy. Enemy had my guys pinned in the woods so without thinking I hammered the gas pedal and started running over dudes like nobody's business. I even took 40mm HE grenade and RPG-42 to the face, that last one killed the engine, so I got out and started throwing grenades like crazy. In the end I ended up running over 10 people (including enemy commander, launching like 50 meters forward) and killed 4 others with grenades, we won this time.

Hunter is damn beastly it seems.

OK. If not released, can't check it of course. However talking with the creator is good opportunity to try find out, what's the reason of these huge exec delays when using some mods, it's the biggest not resolved "known issue" for my Pilgrimage mission and apparently also here. So I look forward to test it ASAP. :) Of course, that may be also something different... HWS code is fragile to not typical config (mainly at units categorization, which is heavily based on the config values and in general assumes vanilla-like way of configuring, otherwise may not recognize eg infantry as infantry). So if it's wip with some gaps, it may not work reliably with such mod.

Edited by Rydygier

Me too. And at start of mission loading. And at save&exit. Every few tries, which is most annoying. But that affects every mission, including simple editor preview. Devs was said once about hardly possible to trace random physX crashes. Maybe that's it. Saw reports, where it was happening also in the middle of play for some people. Never to me though. Anyway, nothing specific to HWS and, the more, CTDs are nothing, I could do something about.

I have had this too; but only for HWS - not that I've been able to play much for most of the last year, so there may be other missions that behave the same way. Never happened to me while playing, though.

I use only Leight's Opfor Pack and RHS, HWS working very good, only sometimes mission not loading after setting.

Rydygier is whether it is possible to improve the performance of defense Hetman , stronger planting built-up areas , protection of important intersections , etc . It often happens that most of the combat units are withdrawn too deeply at the rear. Many thanks for this mission and HAC and HAL . I do not play anything else :) Jeszcze raz maksymalny szacunek :)

Jeszcze raz maksymalny szacunek

:) Dzięki (Thanks).

There is some philosophy and randomness behind the way, Hetman sets defence, but for sure there is a room for improvements. And most likely those and the other improvements will be made sooner or later.

Hi, is it possible to show the A:B ratio at mission start if i use the random option?

After the end of mission init phase on the map screen you may review the settings in the debriefing section. Result of randomization should be revealed there.

Edited by Rydygier

After the end of mission init phase on the map screen you may review the settings in the debriefing section. Result of randomization should be revealed there.

Hi, thanks. Didn't seen it before.

I have one more question. Is it possible to spawn Hunter, AMV-7 etc. without infantry and add them to the cargo pool?

The ai sometimes behaves very strange if infantry and vehicles are grouped together (on enemy contact vehicles are leaving the infantry far behind or or infantry is ordered to get in/out in an infinite loop). I have the same problem in other missions without Hetman, its not caused by Hetman/HWS itself.

Separating vehicles and infantry wouldn't solve the problem, that vehicles are leaving the infantry behind. But the get in/out loop doesn't occur with cargo missions.

You mean, all infantry on foot plus lots of combat-ready cargo "taxi"? Doable, but idea is a vehicle accompanying infantry in combat, while cargo is stricte taxi, as you mentioned will leave them alone kinda wasting it's firepower most of the time. I know, AI also here sucks in many situations, but I'm such a hopeless optimist, that prefer to wait, till they do something about than look for some makeshift weird solutions attempting to hide somehow vanilla AI flaws. :)

Were do i put the "RydHQ_MoraleConst (default = 1.1);

RydHQB_MoraleConst (default = 1.1);

RydHQ_OffTend (default = 1.1);

RydHQB_OffTend (default = 1.1);" ??? or the rush command?

Any such commands are of course optional, only if you want to modify default behaviours. Do it by pasting variable with its desired vaule into advanced setup window like this:

s052y3zlbb6s.jpg

In this example I'm using pair of variables to enable debug markers for both sides.

Note however, this is mostly for people, that know, what they're doing. Rush setting is enabled by default BTW.

Can you explain how you made "RHS Merge (RU) " Cause i'm trying to do the same thing for Iron Front in Arma 3

Can't be explained quickly with all details. You need to understand, how config works in general, which is quite broad topic by itself. If you do - best un-pbo the addon and see the files for yourself. Basically I had to define new faction (CfgFactionClasses), then assign to it every unit via modifying "faction" config value as high in the class "tree" as possible, which here means pretty low, which means quite a bit tedious work with this (CfgVehicles). Then I modified with new faction also the copy of RHS groups config (CfgGroups) - added new groups same, as RHS' own, just for that new faction. And voila. This was few RHS versions back though, while things are changing there, so even not sure, how well it is working now.

Edited by Rydygier

Can't be explained quickly with all details. You need to understand, how config works in general, which is quite broad topic by itself. If you do - best un-pbo the addon and see the files for yourself. Basically I had to define new faction (CfgFactionClasses), then assign to it every unit via modifying "faction" config value as high in the class "tree" as possible, which here means pretty low, which means quite a bit tedious work with this (CfgVehicles). Then I modified with new faction also the copy of RHS groups config (CfgGroups) - added new groups same, as RHS' own, just for that new faction. And voila. This was few RHS versions back though, while things are changing there, so even not sure, how well it is working now.

I use your merge it seems to work great except "Sometimes" it hangs the game for unknown reasons but, that's been noted before.

Just wanted to drop by and say this is still one of my fav missions :)

Just wanted to drop by and say this is still one of my fav missions :)

Recent improvements in AI have made these missions even better, although MRAPS no longer seem to explode and they don't dismount when the tyres get shot out anymore. The downside to this is if you are a tank driver the commander was still giving move orders when the tank was disabled. When it was destroyed and in flames I was still being ordered to get in and drive it.

I would have killed my commander just to shut him up but, luckily for him, a Sochor shell landed a nd killed me first.

When I first started I enabled the campaign mode. It didn't mean much at first, but now I have completed a couple of dozen missions it gives extra meaning to each battle as if they are no longer isolated battles but part of a war instead. e.g. NATO push the AAF out of the Molos Peninsula, next they have to hold Molos from a CSAT attack that is probing their defences.

I am really enjoying it at the moment whether it lasts 5 mins or over 3 hours like a recent battle did.

There was some preliminary discussion about HAL cooperating with ALiVE. Main problem, and I mean really BIG one is, HAL doesn't tolerate nor handle caching well, especially ALiVE's. To change that I would most probably need to expand it wastly by rewriting most of the code. As idea is very tempting, this may happen some day. Here is some conversation about this.

With all due respect to ALive, for the love of GOD do not go their way and disable SP save. Alive is a big tease for SP players who are non technical with all the setting up server stuff and registering on a warroom etc etc just to SAVE :/

Everyone who has tried HETMAN will never need to go anywhere else. :)

But yes, caching would be greatly appreciated in future ^^

Don't be affraid, if whatever will happen as for optional cooperation with other mods, it will be, exactly, optional. HAL by itself stays standalone.

But yes, caching would be greatly appreciated in future ^^

Zorrobyte made caching script dedicated to HAL-like mods, with Hetman's specificty in mind, and it has good opinions amongst Hetman users. Here it is. 

Don't be affraid, if whatever will happen as for optional cooperation with other mods, it will be, exactly, optional. HAL by itself stays standalone.

Zorrobyte made caching script dedicated to HAL-like mods, with Hetman's specificty in mind, and it has good opinions amongst Hetman users. Here it is. 

Simple and accurate. Amazing. I wanted to use Zorro's script but saw you mention at one place that HAL and caching dont go well hand in hand. So I was a bit sceptical. Anyway, now I will unleash WAR. lol