Rydygier

[SP] HETMAN: War Stories

because artillery is often positioned right in the front line

Well, that I could change also for SP artillery. For sure I'll not resign from using arty, I like it too much and it's simply too important part of any army to pretend, it not exist. Plus, imagine all those explosions to admire, when that new Blastcore arrive. :) Maybe instead I could tweak a bit its salvo aiming accuracy (it's more FO skill in fact). Truth is, hitting a group on the move isn't easy despite movement vector predictor, so in more than half cases arty is shelling nothing. In A2 it was better, there we had SADARM... In missions like Pilgrimage too accurate arty could be a curse, but here, in HWS, effective/more realistically accurate arty would be IMO welcome.

A request I made in another thread and wondering if anyone else is interested in the Smartcam from War stories as an addon...

I did a hackjob version and it works in begcti which i use to observe ai behaviour when looking at ai mods etc but would love an addon version or script version for some missions...

Rydygier said he may do it if there is enough interest...

anyone?

:)

HWS "dev branch" updated to 1.06 beta5. Probably last beta before 1.06 official release:

More restrictive code searching for flat LZs for the choppers;

more accurate artillery;

self-propelled artillery now located more reasonable, farther behind front line;

on/off fatigue effects switch under 0-8;

improved code to avoid permanent stalemate;

few code fixes.

Arty now fires whole savo without "adjust fire stage", than makes arty fire more dense. Improved accuracy.

A request I made in another thread and wondering if anyone else is interested in the Smartcam from War stories as an addon...

I did a hackjob version and it works in begcti which i use to observe ai behaviour when looking at ai mods etc but would love an addon version or script version for some missions...

Rydygier said he may do it if there is enough interest...

anyone?

I'm always looking for decent cameras.

Hi, any chance you could add some sort of respawn system in HWS? Even one for SP as in Flashpoint mission (where if you die you can "reincarnate" as another member of the blufor)?

Sometimes the mission just screws you over, esp. when you are not a team leader, and your TL does make stupid decisions (or the whole mission gets to a stalemate) and you die, it would be nice to be able to continue. Hetman (and Big Boss, which I gather is not implemented yet in this mission) would make a perfect SP (single player) experience for Arma, an ever changing scenario, if only it wouldn't end every time you die (possibly because of AI stupid decisions).

Another thing would be a UI in the briefing to select you as the team leader. It's pretty annoying and too slow sometimes following your TL's generated waypoints, sometimes the action ends before he gets to it, so a "become a TL" option would make sense...

Hi. All units are switchable. So, at least for me, at after-death menu is available switch option, and same in-game, so you can re-incarnate and at any moment choose your role to any other, including team leaders, excluding only the Leader himself. Additionally, under 0-8, there is option to re-randomize the role, if that sounds better to someone.

Big Boss isn't implemented. For now no idea, how to implement it to fit the mission. Big Boss is designed for whole/big part of map scenarios with, frankly, more units, than usual CPU can smoothly handle. Here idea is to limit battle area to the certain location and few clicks around, with appriopriate amount of units.

BTW I hope, latest beta should reduce permanent stalemate situations to minimum (after taking the objective victorious force should push forward towards guesstimated hostile leader position, while def-on-def situations shouldn't be permanent in any case).

PS reuploaded beta5 - added one more code fix.

Edited by Rydygier

Hi. All units are switchable. So, at least for me, at after-death menu is available switch option, and same in-game, so you can re-incarnate and at any moment choose your role to any other, including team leaders, excluding only the Leader himself. Additionally, under 0-8, there is option to re-randomize the role, if that sounds better to someone.

Sorry, *facepalm*, the problem has been with my configuration, I was running HWS wrong. Of course switchunit works. I will also try the latest reuploaded beta.

I still got into few stalemate situations (where the battlefield just stops and units only engage if I move into their eng. range), although that might have been due to other mods I used that are not listed as recommended in the first post.

Overall, very nice work! I have always wanted something like your original Hetman just more accessible for when I don't have time to set everything up myself.

Stalemates usually happen, when both Leaders see no reason to send own troops, where opponents may be encountered. It's design issue, not a bug. So most, what I do to prevent that, is such setting of objectives and offensive tendency, so encounters should be as probable, as possible. I hope, after last changes, the only circumstance for temporary stalemate should be if one army is defending, and second goes defensive due to low morale/enemy advantage. IMO it isn't nothing very wrong, such situations for sure happen sometimes too, still situation, where nothing at all is going on, doesn't provide too much fun, and not all players are patient enough to wait out such periods...

HWS updated to 1.06:

- New morale formula;

- mission ends also due to very high losses (75% or if there is not enough proper combat units to take an objective);

- more restrictive code searching for flat LZs for the choppers;

- more accurate artillery;

- self-propelled artillery now located more reasonable, farther behind front line;

- on/off fatigue effects switch under 0-8;

- improved code to avoid permanent stalemate;

- reduced chance, Leader will switch to/stay in defensive mode, if not "defend" mission;

- reduced by 10% morale fluctuations;

- new variables for advanced setup:

morale stability:

RydHQ_MoraleConst (default = 1.1);

RydHQB_MoraleConst (default = 1.1);

tendency to keep offensive stance:

RydHQ_OffTend (default = 1.1);

RydHQB_OffTend (default = 1.1);

- for "attack" mission Leader will push forward towards enemy starting positions after taking the main objective named in the briefing;

- code improvement to avoid placing units on the off-map areas;

- code improvement for better handling of some not typically configured custom content;

- added info about player's unit to the "situation" entry in the map screen;

- various code fixes.

New morale formula (controlling in complex way morale changes in time due to factors like losses or known enemy forces count) probably will need some more calibrating (because it is brand new), but should be roughly OK. I thought, my previous morale formula is just fine, but analyzed it closer and found a flaw, reason to replace it completely with new solution.

BTW workshop update delayed or blocked permanently due to repeating update failures. I'll try again later, but in fact, who cares about Workshop...

^ lol what is this workshop you speak of? :p

Hey Rydygier, I'm not sure if there's an issue from my side, but HWS 1.06 just doesn't seem to work for me. For some reason both sides of the battle seem to linger in their staging areas without any objectives being issued. Might it be because my version of ARMA 3 is only updated to 1.24? Otherwise HWS 1.05 still works without a hitch. With that being said, I can't praise this scenario enough. It's extremely simple, but there's something in that simplicity that draws you into the whole engagement. You absolutely cannot guarantee what type of experience you'll have when initiating a battle. Yes, there are times when you think "bloody hell I wish something would happen", but when it it happens, it HAPPENS. To me, the random mix of quiet contemplation and unexpected urgency makes for an awesome experience. GOOD JOB!

Edited by Michael_EK

Thanks. :)

I stronly suggest keep Arma up to date. Can't recall exactly, but quite possible, I used for 1.06 scripting commands not present yet in 1.24, like pushBack or something.

Hi All-

I've taken the DEV version of HAL HWS and ported over to a couple maps. I've ported them to others but still testing as it seems to be running into issues.

Currently these are the ported maps:

Takistan

Chernarus

Daryah

Sangin

DROPBOX Download

As newer versions come out, just replace the folders in the mission folder with the new version. I'll try to keep these up to date as well, along with releasing other maps. Thanks

BIG THANKS to the owner of this awesome mod/script/mission making this possible. Bravo my friend.

Is this "side-project" still alive/updated?

I don't know if JCae2798 keeps an eye on HWS updates but it is quite easy to bring HWS to others map. As explained in first post it can be done in 5 minutes. The only difficulty if you have not done it, is to find how to de-PBO (I use cpbo).

Here is what I have done this weekend, HWS 1.06 ported to Chernarus summer - Takistan - Zargabad. Requires CBA_A3 and AiA_TP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sycsqacur5kzev2/HWS_106_ported.zip?dl=0

Besides, I have a question for Rydygier : do you know a simple way to call for two (or more) factions for one side in your mission ?

I explain : I came back to your HWS mission with the RHS Escalation coming. But the problem is that for russian side, infantry, tanks and artillery are in 3 different factions (or groups, don't know how to call that). I would like to play against a unique US Army faction (West) using at the same time units from three different factions at the East side (MVS, TV, RVA). Is it possible using for example the scripting window on the launching menu ? Or anything else (even if I have to de-PBO...) ? Thanks

Edited by Tawah

Well, if they have each kind of forces as separate faction, it's IMO bad idea (wonder, for what reason it's designed such way). They definitelly should reconfigure to have all kinds of forces in one faction, if you ask me...

Anyway, there is no really easy way to spawn more factions for one side in HWS. That means code editing, and most probably not trivial, as "one faction per side" is deeply rooted into code design. Sorry. Even to handle manually included exceptions, I have to redone first major parts of some functions.

Ok, thank you for this explanation.

I think I will have to wait for a config file that merges the three RHS factions I need into one (I remember that someone on your HAL thread has been talking about that... maybe I am wrong).

I think, they are talking about RHQ config. That will change nothing here, I'm affraid. Such merging must be done either by RHS addon creators or by some another modder willing to mod RHS config this way. Optimal IMHO would be optional pbo making that change included in RHS package. I don't know. Maybe someday, if appear more such weirdly configured addons, I'll rework HWS code, so will handle properly at least manual exceptions for multi-faction side, but frankly don't like such idea much.

I don't know if JCae2798 keeps an eye on HWS updates but it is quite easy to bring HWS to others map. As explained in first post it can be done in 5 minutes. The only difficulty if you have not done it, is to find how to de-PBO (I use cpbo).

Here is what I have done this weekend, HWS 1.06 ported to Chernarus summer - Takistan - Zargabad. Requires CBA_A3 and AiA_TP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sycsqacur5kzev2/HWS_106_ported.zip?dl=0

Besides, I have a question for Rydygier : do you know a simple way to call for two (or more) factions for one side in your mission ?

I explain : I came back to your HWS mission with the RHS Escalation coming. But the problem is that for russian side, infantry, tanks and artillery are in 3 different factions (or groups, don't know how to call that). I would like to play against a unique US Army faction (West) using at the same time units from three different factions at the East side (MVS, TV, RVA). Is it possible using for example the scripting window on the launching menu ? Or anything else (even if I have to de-PBO...) ? Thanks

You nailed it. If someone has a specific request i can do so. Also it seems the updates had slowed a bit so i can rework all of the versions to be up to date. I'll see if i can find some time to do so. Thanks

How do you skip the "Tell Me A Story" text that it types out? sometimes it lags even tho the game is not lagging.

No way to skip it. Even if possible, you can't just "skip" lagging. Lags means, CPU can't keep up with calculations at the moment. Especially at init there is some heavy stuff to calculate, most hidden under loading screen, but some, engine-level, simply have to be done under pending simulation. What hardware do you use and what do you mean exactly by lagging? How bad and how long? If PC can't keep up, perhaps try smaller battles? Less mods? Typed text itself doesn't cause any lags anyway. It's a SQF script, so unable directly to affect FPS - is scheduled. If typing is slowed down, it only indicates, CPU is too busy to do all scheduled script calculations on time.

Edited by Rydygier

My game does not lag. The text that says "(NAME) we were headed from (place.) enemy forces came from (Place)" sometimes last for 5-20 mins. I can see my guy but can't control him watching him die by tank or something else in 60fps.

5-20 minutes means only one thing: something is totally broken and it's not that text. Similar problem may be caused by certain mods adding units. Your problem appears for A3 vanilla, or some mods are used? If there are any mods, try vanilla to see, if problem will appear again.