Sign in to follow this  
BL1P

Displaying the Scoreboard on a Sign in base ?

Hello.

I ran a search and didn't find any results.

So my question is can you :-

Display the Scoreboard on a Sign in base ?

We have the ingame scoreboard off so that you cannot press to see if that enemy you shot at is dead or just prone behind that wall.

But it would be cool for players to be able to see their progress at a scoreboard back at base especially as the mission we play normally last 4-6 days.

Hopefully.

BL1P

No idea about rendering text to a sign but couldn't you use arma font as a texture on a sign?

Like making your own alphabet texture library ("A.paa" would represent an "A" in game, "a.paa" would be "a" and so on)

Then you could go through horrible nightmares trying to figure out a system that evenly distributes textures on a sign and use some function like splitString to split up usernames into single letters, which then loads them onto the sign, basically representing the scoreboard.

Get my idea?

We could so do with a render to texture for dialogs. Im not even talking interactive just a plain old send a dialog to be rendered as it is. Although down the line some sort of interactivity would be great i mean the possibilities would be endless, interactive MFD's in vehicles, door entry keypads etc.

I found THIS feedback by Nou asking for the same thing with a reply from Moricky stating that it was looked into during Take on Helicopters but would require huge changes in the engine to accomplish. I must admit im with Nou at my surprise that a static render of the final GUI display is not possible. I can imagine that an interactive GUI in world space could be a huge undertaking but not being able to send the final render of one frame of a GUI to RTT is disappointing.

This would be ideal for what your asking Bl1p. Create your scoreboard Display, process it with the information e.g text and pictures and send output to RTT and then setObjectTexture to the sign/white board.

@GOT Im sure ive seen something like your idea here on the forums. Think it involved 1m textures displaying single characters with transparency and lining them up to output given text to a sign. I have no link just rings a bell.

This is another thing in Arma that bugs me why do we have no model scaling commands. OK doing anything complicated like a person which would then have to have other lods and animations scaled to fit (dependent on their relationship) could be a bit of work but things like 1m 5m 10m (what ever the numbers are) user textures (which are two bloody triangles) or simple things like the helper spheres and arrows would be so more helpful if we could scale simple things like that rather than relying on multiple configurations. /rantoff

Edited by Larrow

I saw that post when people were discussing it Nimrod_Z. Definately a cool feature to be able to project ctrl's onto a rendered object.

Shame the object cant be manipulated though e.g moved , turned , zoom etc once rendered. Was thinking of a really nasty hack if it could by trying to line up a rendered object with the real world object making it look like the dialog was in world space :).

I saw that post when people were discussing it Nimrod_Z. Definately a cool feature to be able to project ctrl's onto a rendered object.

Shame the object cant be manipulated though e.g moved , turned , zoom etc once rendered. Was thinking of a really nasty hack if it could by trying to line up a rendered object with the real world object making it look like the dialog was in world space :).

This would have confused many, in terrible ways.

This would have confused many, in terrible ways.
Maybe :evil:

I mean you would not have to have a visible object just the papir setup to align with a real world space. Ok there would be problems like someone standing between you and a sign post would be rendered behind the GUI but i think it would behave more like VE (think thats the right term Virtual Enviroment) so like the envisioned use of google glass and the like overlaying virtual information at real world points you are looking at. meh :)

@ Bl1p (sorry derailed your thread a little with my day dreaming)

Had a quick flick through the configs and although i could find the scoreboard it is buried inside another dialog/class and it has no idc. Looks like its display maybe handled engine side and i was unable to find an reference to be able to get it to display just so you could have that pop up when near the sign. Maybe some else can come up with a way to display it but for now its eluding me.

You could probably build some kind of arma holodeck inside arma with that.

That would be insane...

So basically it's impossible to return the scoreboard data?

Was always wondering about where the killcounts were stored.

Thanks dudes.

Ill keep trying and looking, but to be honest if Larrow cant figure it out Hell will freeze over before I figure it out :)

Edited by BL1P
Thanks is spelled with an s

Had a chat with Benny about this.

He suggests keeping track of all score events and creating my own GUI, rather than trying to take the info from BIS scoreboard.

Doesn't the server create a text file with the score info for players?

I think its Ranking.log depending on if you use TASDT or not.

It might be able to be parsed on cue and use that for the gui....I don't have one handy to test it out.

That sounds like a lot of killed eventhandlers, heh.

yes it does and it seems a shame to do it twice considering the engine already does it for the scoreboard system. :(

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Doesn't the server create a text file with the score info for players?

I think its Ranking.log depending on if you use TASDT or not.

It might be able to be parsed on cue and use that for the gui....I don't have one handy to test it out.

Yes you can create a ranking file using the param -ranking=location/name.log in the servers startup.

I will run this on our server for a few nights to see what the output is like and if it can be used in a GUI.

Thanks m8.

I was also thinking maybe it is possible to turn on netStats but disable the key input for show score unless you are in the allowed zone ?

Edited by BL1P

I was also thinking maybe it is possible to turn on netStats but disable the key input for show score unless you are in the allowed zone ?

Could be possible, might be the same way as KK achieved the override of the left mouse button:

http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-how-to-override-lmb/

Which would also do for a great "weapons safe in base" tool, finally getting rid of that "don't fire in base" hint on the fired eventhandler...

You can use the score command to get scores of individual players. Note: score only returns the total and doesn't split the points into each category like the in-game scoreboard.

Something like:

scoreArray = [];

{
   scoreArray set [count scoreArray, (score _x)];
} forEach allUnits;

would take all the current player scores and store it in an array. Although this is just an example, something more complex would need to be designed in order to efficiently keep track of player scores. If the server handled this, then the data would need to be sent to each player. However, directly updating a custom dialog locally would eliminate the need to send data over the network and might eliminate the need for an array.

If anyone is curious, try throwing this in a mission and create a LAN server (editor will not work for testing score):

while { true } do 
{
hint format["Player score: %1", score player];
sleep 4;
}

Add a couple of AI and kill them.

Edited by norybiak

Thanks norybiak.

I already add to and remove from the player score / side score within the mission for things like medical revive , and respawning.

I collect and create score info behind the scenes atm like :-

total AOs completed

total Medic revives

total heals at medical vehicle

total none medic revive attempts

total suicides (respawn from incapacitated)

total friendly fire

These are just stored and reported to the rpt when an objective(AO) is completed, at the moment.

The thing with player score or side score, is that for my needs its too limited, not enough detail.

but the scoreboard offers details like.

killsInfantry = ;

killsSoft = ;

killsArmor = ;

killsAir = ;

killsPlayers = ;

customScore = ;

killsTotal = ;

killed = ;

on each player score

Which is why I wanted to alow the ability to see the scoreboard info while at base but not while out in the field, where it can be used to see if you just killed that AI or not.

So...

I now have the game telling me I have pressed the show score button :)

I placed this in my Init_Client.sqf

player addAction ["", {player sideChat "NetworkStats button pressed";}, "", 0, false, true, "NetworkStats"];

All it does is tell you the button was pressed it does not stop the display of NetworkStats.

Works even if NetStats=0; is set in the profile of the server.

I am now going outside to flog this dead donkey as i think i will get further with that :)