Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Microwave thrusters - NASA validates 'impossible' space drive

I don't usually post or participate in these kinds of discussions, but this news has me cautiously excited. Here's a link to the article on Wired.co.uk and a link to NASA's test results (abstract).

The TL;DR of the story: It seems that someone has found a way to create thrust using only electricty, without the need of reaction mass / propellant. If this is true, it could be a huge game-changer for space exploration. As the article says:

A working microwave thruster would radically cut the cost of satellites and space stations and extend their working life, drive deep-space missions, and take astronauts to Mars in weeks rather than months.

And from the NASA's test:

Test results indicate that the RF resonant cavity thruster design, which is unique as an electric propulsion device, is producing a force that is not attributable to any classical electromagnetic phenomenon and therefore is potentially demonstrating an interaction with the quantum vacuum virtual plasma. Future test plans include independent verification and validation at other test facilities.

I hope this isn't another fluke, like the "faster than light neutrinos".

Edited by MadDogX

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasa-approves-impossible-space-engine-design-that-apparently-violates-the-laws-of-physics-9646865.html

Although The Independent is fairly prone to writing hyperbolic articles (the above headline being evidence of that) it is interesting that a mainstream British newspaper has decided to pick up this story on its front page.

Incredible breakthrough once again pushing our understanding of what is possible in physics. Shall we imagine what it's going to be like when the technology matures and how it can be applied in other areas? ( haven't got a clue really :) )

nothing that new, especially the UK guy had promising results 2005-2006 and Chinese had working prototype of EM drive 1.5 year ago ...

the question is more - why it's not already deployed ;)

Wired has posted a follow-up article on the subject, answering some questions that arose after the last one.

It's so hard not to get too excited about this...

nothing that new, especially the UK guy had promising results 2005-2006 and Chinese had working prototype of EM drive 1.5 year ago ...

the question is more - why it's not already deployed ;)

It probably won't be fully verfied until they actually try it in space. If/when that happens, I'm going to throw a party.