or

while {true} do {
  if (a == 2) then {
     bla;
  };
sleep 1;
};

Well...

Can we assume that "a" is always 2? Your example is kind of vague. With that code it depends on what "bla" does

The performance hit of a simple loop with a 1 sec sleep is negligible. The main difference between the code you have pasted is that first one will run bla until a!=2, and will not run again after that no matter what. The second loop will run bla if a==2, stop running bla if a!=2 , but start running bla if a==2 again.

For unknown reasons, seems conditions in a while loop are not reliable... I recommend allways a while {true} and inside of it, a condition with exitwith if no eternal loop is needed.

I noticed that in a script like this:

_pos = whatever position;

while {surfaceIsWater _pos} do

{_pos = whatever method of searching a new pos;

sleep 1};

The results of that where position in water, don't ask me why, instead of that I had to do this:

while {true} do

{if (!surfaceIsWater _pos) exitWith {};

_pos = whatever method of searching a new pos;

}

For unknown reasons, seems conditions in a while loop are not reliable... I recommend allways a while {true} and inside of it, a condition with exitwith if no eternal loop is needed.

I noticed that in a script like this:

_pos = whatever position;

while {surfaceIsWater _pos} do

{_pos = whatever method of searching a new pos;

sleep 1};

The results of that where position in water, don't ask me why, instead of that I had to do this:

while {true} do

{if (!surfaceIsWater _pos) exitWith {};

_pos = whatever method of searching a new pos;

}

Weird, never had that happen, ever.

I discovered this on Antistasi, I use that snippet to spawn groups in random positions around a marker.

After a few checks I noticed 1/5 times units were spawning in water.

Asked in the forums and that was the answer: no reliable. Changed to way of doing this and no water spawning since. Don't ask me why, but as performance wise it is almost the same, no worries...

I also find the while conditions unreliable and I find that placing the if exitwith command before or after code executes is quite handy.