Sign in to follow this  
MarutiaOrtia

So desired but very disappointing game that you have ever played?

Can't disagree more on the GTA 4. GTA 4 and SA are on par, both are one of the best games ever released.

- Every Red Faction game since the first one (number of reasons, but the most important one being not even half as good as the first one)

Oh god yes, promote that man. The first one was awesome, the rest? Urgh.

GTA4 is a great game. Yes it is more serious than SA, but I still had lots of laughs. The driving was awesome, best driving in any GTA ever!

Splinter Cell Conviction.

After Chaos Theory I really thought they found their tune. I loved it. Sadly Conviction was a disaster, a real disappointment. The gameplay was ok, but everything else really dragged that game down. Specifically the odd story and the way it confusingly was told. I haven't bought a Splinter Cell since then.

Oddly enough I feel they usually given up series after a remake/revision version doesn't fall good with the old fans. Probably not true though, but Age of Empires came to mind and kinda Red Alert.

Anywho, I'm really glad I didn't Rome 2, that would have been a disaster. I had a feeling it was terrible to be quite honest. Just the look of the first gameplay video they released.

Pickup Splinter Cell: Blacklist on sale. It's very much a return to something closer to Chaos Theory and much better then Double Agent/Conviction.

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

- Every Brothers in Arms game (first two without mods were unplayable, also... it's rather shit compared to what they promised)

I thought the first two were great and was able to play them without mods with no problem.

Headshotting the Jerry from Garand at point-blank range and having him walk it off certainly doesn't count as "realistic". A german who refuse to take damage because of the invisible lead-blocker, just as much. Also, these games were much more limited and shallow than it was presented as first.

They were "acceptable", but truely enjoyable only with Ultimate Realism Mod or whatever it was called. It removed the blocker, changed damage values, etc.

I lost my patience with Earned in Blood and never really got myself into going back after Hells Highway.

Edited by JonPL

Ah... BiA.... it was a really good game. No wonder I had no problem with ARMA3 sway... because BiA already had that... and it was really hard to kill the enemy in that game... You literally have to suppress, fix and outflank them. And sometime overrun them.

Red Orchestra 2, bought it preorder deluxe edition to get the Stg44 unlocked on game release, ive played the first one with over 1000hrs and loved it, but played the Beta and although there was a few things i didnt like i decided you can't really judge a game wholly by being a beta and was told issues will fixed and the gameplay will change bla bla bla what a bunch of bullshit. On release day i had no unlocks even tho i paid for the DE and no refund, the game ran awful, the gameplay was awful, everything was awful none of the issues which were brought up in the beta were fixed infact nothing was fixed it was almost the same as the Beta the gameplay never changed and i felt utterly ripped off and still do.

The other being BF3, i was into BC2 its a awesome MP game. So i thought il buy BF3, bought it on release day and had to drive to 3 stores to get a copy got home and it decides to fucking download the game thru origin even tho i had a dvd i still had to wait fucking 2 hours for it to download. Got ingame wasnt impressed whatsoever it was gadgets fucking everywhere, snipers everywhere, children everywhere. The guns were utter crap, the gameplay was utterly shit. I was well gutted.

Headshotting the Jerry from Garand at point-blank range and having him walk it off certainly doesn't count as "realistic". A german who refuse to take damage because of the invisible lead-blocker, just as much. Also, these games were much more limited and shallow than it was presented as first.

They were "acceptable", but truely enjoyable only with Ultimate Realism Mod or whatever it was called. It removed the blocker, changed damage values, etc.

I lost my patience with Earned in Blood and never really got myself into going back after Hells Highway.

All things considered, it was a fairly tactical and realistic game, especially compared to the mainstream crop of games. I found the fix, suppress, and flanking mechanic to be very original and fun. There were some really great firefights in that game.

I enjoyed the story as well.

Hell's Highway was ok, but the console influence kept it from being better.

My Wargame thing is more a symptom of my tastes than anything wrong with the game itself. I was more disappointed that I just couldn't find myself enjoying the game. My main RTS squeeze is Close Combat- much slower paced and much more personal.

That really surprises me then. I feel like Wargame is the closest thing to Close Combat other than Close Combat. I view it as a mix between Close Combat and Supreme Commander which up until Wargame were my favorite RTS games. I think that the fact that it is Cold War probably really helps my case with it though. I am a huge Cold War fan. To each their own though.

Good question! I don't know if it's because I usually inform myself a lot before buying a game or maybe cuz I try to not expect much, but I can't recall any title that I really wanted but became a big disappointment when I played it.

Well you do the best thing as you investigate each game title prior to buying it :) I would do the same, but I don`t have so much time :)

I bought a new computer in anticipation for avp2 as I love avsp gold (still love it). Avp2 was my biggest disappointment. Looked like CS... (Luckily I found a game called OFP which changed my life).

Than ofcourse colonial marines. Looked very promising but I will never buy it

I need a good aliens game!

I need a good aliens game!

I hope Alien Isolation will turn out good.

Time to add more.

- THIEF.

This game is so disappoint to a long time fan, had some potential but this poorly executed game with lack of climate from previous games.

- COD (everything that's past Modern Warfare)

Everybody knows what I'm talking about. Overload of ridicule in every term. Overblown weak game.

- Operation Flashpoint by Codemasters. Just forget about it...It didn't happen.

- Colonial Marines & Aliens Vs Predator 2010.

Short and weak and too "consol-ey" These titles can't match to classic AvP series.

- Call OF Juarez: The Cartel. After really good wild-western set Bound in Blood, modern day Cartel looks like a cheap shooter made by budget studio. This game is ugly, bugged, with dump AI and drenched in foul language. I don't mind hearing swear words; I like them, they add taste, but here everything is overloaded with profanity. This game gives cancer!

I disagree about Aliens: Colonial Marines being console-y, apart from the retarded, broken matchmaking.

It has a decent controls, FOV slider, no problems with mouse acceleration and medkits \ armor system instead of the health regen.

It's a fun shooter, too short tho and the usual price is outrageous.

The Cartel IMO had a good story, had a lot of "The Mexican" \ Tarantino vibe, too bad technically and gameplay-wise it was a shit port.

But worth completing, with friends of course.

Flashpoint by Codemasters - apart from the franchise theft, GFWL, mr Ass-mouthed-Jamie-Foxx-Wannabe and the overall "Codemasters" feel, Red River* is not a bad game. It's a fun coop shooter: enemy AI is decent enough and when (annoying) friendly AI gets replaced by Your friends, You don't need much more. Randomized single missions, level system and the ability to grind it, open maps and a cool campaign (I mean, really: it had more CWC feel than the ArmA2's campaign and some missions were really atmospheric) were really great - gun handling was ok, much better than in Dragon Rising. And during many, many hours of the playtime I happened to find only 2 bugs (SSgt. Knox one time got stuck in a mission, it happened only once; The other was a sporadic anim desynchro in MP that usually ends up in You blowing yourself up with SMAW or M203 hitting the sandbags or other cover behind which You hid).

So it's not that bad and if You'd give me Steamworks instead of GFWL and a mission editor, damn, that'd be one of my favourite games.

*Dragon Rising, on the other hand, was simply retarded in most of the aspects and simply annoying.

Edited by JonPL

I disagree about the CoD and BF games. I was an avid CoD player for quite a while, and only stopped playing them because I got into ArmA and lost interest. They're not terrible games. They're over-the-top and ridiculous, but the developers/publishers make no effort to conceal this fact. They actually advertise it rather blatantly. I played quite a bit of Black Ops, MW2, WaW and CoD 4, and feel like I got my money's worth out of each.

Similar story with BF3 and 4. Like many others, I was disappointed that BF3 wasn't going to be like BF2, but in many areas it's quite an improvement over its predecessor. I'm not too happy about the technical issues or the price for a full game + premium, but that isn't enough for me to write the games off as huge disappointments. They're still very fun.

That really surprises me then. I feel like Wargame is the closest thing to Close Combat other than Close Combat. I view it as a mix between Close Combat and Supreme Commander which up until Wargame were my favorite RTS games. I think that the fact that it is Cold War probably really helps my case with it though. I am a huge Cold War fan. To each their own though.

I'm a big Wargame fan and I've had hundreds of hours of fun with both Airland Battle and Red Dragon, but I have to admit the games are a bit flawed. I still consider them well-worth the money, but they really have an air of unfulfilled potential about them. They're great games but they gave me a strong impression that the developers do not play their own games. The game modes leave much to be desired, only about a quarter of the maps are actually enjoyable to play on, and far too much development time was wasted adding in naval combat in RD.

The actions of the Wargame developers on their forums also do not amuse me.

I'm a big Wargame fan and I've had hundreds of hours of fun with both Airland Battle and Red Dragon, but I have to admit the games are a bit flawed. I still consider them well-worth the money, but they really have an air of unfulfilled potential about them. They're great games but they gave me a strong impression that the developers do not play their own games. The game modes leave much to be desired, only about a quarter of the maps are actually enjoyable to play on, and far too much development time was wasted adding in naval combat in RD.

The actions of the Wargame developers on their forums also do not amuse me.

Despite I like WG very much I have to agree with this here.

I disagree about Aliens: Colonial Marines being console-y, apart from the retarded, broken matchmaking.

It has a decent controls, FOV slider, no problems with mouse acceleration and medkits \ armor system instead of the health regen.

It's a fun shooter, too short tho and the usual price is outrageous.

The Cartel IMO had a good story, had a lot of "The Mexican" \ Tarantino vibe, too bad technically and gameplay-wise it was a shit port.

But worth completing, with friends of course.

Console generation, 100% lol

Are You directing this at me, or something? Even if it's a joke, I find it offending...

Metro: Last Light. I was told it's like Fallout. Can you imagine even less interactivity than CoD? This game has it. I gave it 2 hours in total and I'll never give it more.

Nobody said Crysis 3 yet? The first one was amazingly good, way ahead of it's time. Specially with the Turkish voices and developers it was hyped all around here in Turkey. Then Crysis 2 happened and the "EA Effect" came in. See what I did there? Effect? Mass Effect? That damn kid... Ugh so yeah second one was still a good game, had some originality left in to it even though Crytek scrapped the make-your-choices feeling out of it. Crysis 3 was same with Crysis 2, story got really mainstream and honestly without psycho I whouldn't have finished it. Maps and visuals only had more green than gray. Multiplayer was empty and unoriginal, can't even remembers most maps or game modes, nothing memorable, or not really an environment I want to go back to. No wonder it's getting all the price cuts and sales now.

Metro: Last Light. I was told it's like Fallout. Can you imagine even less interactivity than CoD? This game has it. I gave it 2 hours in total and I'll never give it more.

You really missed something then! The first part of the game is indeed extremely linear but it really opens up later on. In the end it´s still a corridor shooter, but definately one of the best with the best atmosphere!

Lol, someone told you it's like Fallout? Like... sandbox? No offense, but I actually feel kind sorry for you for believing that. :D

That game is nothing like Fallout. It's a postapocalyptic shooter, heavy on atmosphere, shooting and story. How could you actually expect something like Fallout 3?

Lol, someone told you it's like Fallout? Like... sandbox? No offense, but I actually feel kind sorry for you for believing that. :D

That game is nothing like Fallout. It's a postapocalyptic shooter, heavy on atmosphere, shooting and story. How could you actually expect something like Fallout 3?

It's not such a great embarrassment as you're (for some reason) trying to imply. I also thought it was a kind of sandbox type game. Why? I saw the map, and it seemed to be that it might have been the kind of gameplay we get in the underground sections of Fallout3. Linear shooters don't normally get maps.

Last Light is kinda weird though, the first one has better story, atmosphere and gunplay IMO. Something just felt off about the second one. I still like both and they achieve what they are trying to be: Linear, story driven FPS.

Anyway: Fallout3. I loved Fallout2 but i get the feeling that Bethesda just didn't grasp the atmosphere of the previous games. The design is very kiddy, the combat is boring and i just didnt get into it at all. It also suffers from a bad case of 'frosting shader' making the graphics look shitty. Though i guess i am the only one who feels this way.

Edited by NeMeSiS