Sign in to follow this  
MarutiaOrtia

So desired but very disappointing game that you have ever played?

Guys,

What was the most desired game that you eagerly wanted to play but became a great disappointment later? What was the most annoying thing about it?

What made you to dislike it: the short or dull story, the inability to be played even on the most advanced hardware, the poor graphic or something else?

For me it was the Rebel Assault because the game featured groundbreaking full motion video sequences, but played poorly on even the most advanced hardware, with blocky, pixelated images and jumpy frame rates, short and relatively dull story and etc.

Please comment.

Since I only buy games through sales since a few years, I recently bought Mass Effect 3 (Amazon, 6 €) and the last Splinter Cell part (Steam Sell, I think 8 €). I didn't play SC for a few years (probably 6 or 7) and didn't touch the game again after 2 missions. The whole design had nothing to do with what I remembered SC being like in the first 2 parts.

Same goes for Mass Effect 3. I think I played like 1/3 of the game, but it was dull and boring and in every way a step back from ME2...

Since I only buy games through sales since a few years, I recently bought Mass Effect 3 (Amazon, 6 €) and the last Splinter Cell part (Steam Sell, I think 8 €). I didn't play SC for a few years (probably 6 or 7) and didn't touch the game again after 2 missions. The whole design had nothing to do with what I remembered SC being like in the first 2 parts.

Same goes for Mass Effect 3. I think I played like 1/3 of the game, but it was dull and boring and in every way a step back from ME2...

It is very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

Recently only 2 titles,Rome 2(man what a derpfest this turned out to be) and X-Crapbirth.After I've sunk so many hours in X2 and X3TC I was expecting improvements in all areas and instead we got...that thing with grannies in space.Good thing Youtube exists,saved my cha-ching card quite a few times.

The lesson these days is that even good devs could screw up bad and pre-order is a very bad habit.

Total war Empire. Paid full price on release day and was very dissapointed due to false advertising. It took a very long time until patches and the Darthmod made this a very good game

I didn't buy Rome 2 since it still seems to be quite shit due to very poor design decisions.

GTA4 bought the pc version on release and it barely worked due to very poor optimisation.

Recently only 2 titles,Rome 2(man what a derpfest this turned out to be) and X-Crapbirth.After I've sunk so many hours in X2 and X3TC I was expecting improvements in all areas and instead we got...that thing with grannies in space.Good thing Youtube exists,saved my cha-ching card quite a few times.

The lesson these days is that even good devs could screw up bad and pre-order is a very bad habit.

Very good habit and idea :)

For me I think it was GRAW.... because it's actually a corridor shooter in disquise. For example, mission one where you have to go through that plaza area - you HAVE to fight through it, there's no bypass that plaza... then you also can get the enemy's dropped g36 mag... well, maybe not a bad idea since we can do that and more in ARMA (enemy squad got pounded by mortar and look, the rifles and stuffs are in one piece). It's just not Ghost Recon... GR really dies that day for me... from that day on, GR is known as OGR (original ghost recon)

Splinter Cell Conviction.

After Chaos Theory I really thought they found their tune. I loved it. Sadly Conviction was a disaster, a real disappointment. The gameplay was ok, but everything else really dragged that game down. Specifically the odd story and the way it confusingly was told. I haven't bought a Splinter Cell since then.

Oddly enough I feel they usually given up series after a remake/revision version doesn't fall good with the old fans. Probably not true though, but Age of Empires came to mind and kinda Red Alert.

Anywho, I'm really glad I didn't Rome 2, that would have been a disaster. I had a feeling it was terrible to be quite honest. Just the look of the first gameplay video they released.

I would say BF4 buuut

Ace Combat Assault Horizon.

After waiting almost the entire life cycle of the PS3 for a new Ace Combat game to play, I was so excited to finally see one coming. The trailers looked promising, the DFM mode looked fun. But ultimately it all turned out to be just a mess. The new helicopters were just a joke. The DFM mode was repetitive and heavily scripted. Online mode was just bad and no teamwork at all.

The series has had a new lease of life with AC: Infinity. But give me a HD remake of 4,5 and Zero and you may as well have given me the love of my life.

What was the most desired game that you eagerly wanted to play but became a great disappointment later? What was the most annoying thing about it?

Good question! I don't know if it's because I usually inform myself a lot before buying a game or maybe cuz I try to not expect much, but I can't recall any title that I really wanted but became a big disappointment when I played it.

I feel like if you would've asked this back in the the OFP days a lot of people would've said Söldner: Secret Wars. Apparently people had a lot of hope for it but it was terrible. Other than that, I am very picky about what I buy and don't recall anything really letting me down.

Total war gets mentioned a lot. Their false pre release advertising is the main reason for that. False statements, shoped Screenshot, heavily scripted gameplay videos.And then people are pissed when they see the truth. Sega is generally guilty of stuff like that.

X-Rebirth , all the way... The biggest letdown since year 2000.

F.E.A.R 2, 3

Thief

BF3

BF4

Basically all the games that started out great and got dumbed down, consolized.

I'm especially disappointed when awesome game engines like Frostbite are wasted.

Edited by jblackrupert

Well, I just found my example: Sacred 3.

All I had seen before today was a trailer, and that looked pretty good. I was pretty much expecting another Sacred 2 but with better graphics, which would be totally fine with me. Dropped 150€ on three copies - for myself, my girlfriend and my sister - in pre-order and we were planning to start playing it together today. We did the same a few years back with Sacred 2 and had a blast.

Then, literally minutes ago, I decided to check out some reviews... and died a little inside. No loot / inventory system, no open world gameplay, bland linear levels, shitty UI design and generally shitty game design choices all around. According to RPS, it's essentially a mindless button basher that has absolutely nothing in common with the previous games.

Does anyone have any experience with refunds on Steam? If so, please PM me. I know they issue them in rare cases.

The game was released ahead of time while review embargos were still in effect, that was done to make it impossible for people to cancel their preorders. You can u se that as an argument when contacting steam.

Colonial Marines.

How the hell can you possibly screw something that's been so damn wanted by the gaming community so damn badly?

I blame consoles.

IL2 Sturmovik- Never lived up to the hype for me, I came from the Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator games so I was used to a slightly more relaxed flight model, but it's also a dull, lifeless experience... The community is AMAZING though, still actively modding and updating the game after all these years! I still just cannot enjoy the game though.

Call of Duty after the second game... Remember how great the first two games were?

GTR Evolution/RACE 07'- A step back from GTR 2 and GT Legends.

Rainbow Six: Raven Shield- I think it'll be a pretty common theme in this thread, Ubisoft taking a franchise people love and ruining it.

Wargame: European Escalation- It looked cool, I never got into it and enjoyed it. I bought Airland Battle, same story.

Vietcong 2- Didn't live up to the first game at all. Except in terms of bugginess.

I think my winner for biggest letdown game was... Call of Duty: Black Ops. I know, right? How could I expect anything from Activision's cash cow? Here's the thing, I've wanted, for YEARS, a good Vietnam war era FPS. The first Vietcong tried, so hard, it had so many awesome moments in the single player campaign. It had AMAZING atmosphere. But... It was almost unplayable, it was so buggy. It made ARMA look like a well behaved, polished game. And it was a corridor shooter too. Still, I loved it, but I wanted something better.

Black Ops came along, promising a CIA thriller with the 60's as a back drop. The Bay of Pigs, MAC-V SOG in Vietnam, all that. John Plaster, former SOG Recon man and author was supposedly a consultant on the game. And what did that game do? It completely ignored it's backdrop. It wasn't just typical over the top Cowadooty bullshit, it stars a 2010 Jeep Wrangler! It's got 1970's and 80's weapons in 1962-1969! (When you crash the Embassy during Tet with a SPAS12 packing "Dragonsbreath" novelty shells... Kind of a microcosm of how offensively silly the game is.) It's got a Mi24 HIND in Vietnam! It's got a SR-71 Blackbird using Thermal imaging to provide drone-like overwatch for a Special forces team! It had ONE Sixties track in the whole game!

And the story is dreadful... I mean. Your character is the assassin that kills JFK. Just. I don't even know. It's remarkable how much I hate this game. And we may never get a really good Vietnam War era shooter.

Edited by lesscubes

And we may never get a really good Vietnam War era shooter.

Might not be your cup of tea, but I found Bad Company 2's Vietnam expansion pack to be a thoroughly enjoyable shooter.

Might not be your cup of tea, but I found Bad Company 2's Vietnam expansion pack to be a thoroughly enjoyable shooter.

I enjoyed it quite a bit actually, but I'm looking for a single player thing. Bad Company 2 was a whole lot of fun as a whole though. My only complaint was that it's an EA title so I had to deal with origin in addition to Steam.

For me it was these games:

Mafia 2 - it was nothing as it was presented , no near to perfect mafia 1 , also devs from 2K Czech they had to cut alot features out (alot similiar to GTA - side missions , buying cars and property)

still it was fun game but the unfinished story&cheap dlcs were really bad , mainly the ending heh

Hitman: Absolution - as a hitman fan i was expecting more like modernized Blood Money like sequel instead i have got a consolized dumbed down hitman game that the story is more ridiculous than cod black ops had

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight - i have to say anything to this? :D

Edited by RobertHammer

Wargame: European Escalation- It looked cool, I never got into it and enjoyed it. I bought Airland Battle, same story.

I can't disagree with you more on that. I love that game. I have Airland Battle but I haven't got around to playing it yet. I expect I will like it even more.

It's got a Mi24 HIND in Vietnam!

Vietnam had hinds. Probably not many... Just looked it up I stand corrected. Damn good point. Agreed with you on the other crap they had in there before its time too.

And the story is dreadful... I mean. Your character is the assassin that kills JFK. Just. I don't even know. It's remarkable how much I hate this game. And we may never get a really good Vietnam War era shooter.

Yeah I played up until the Vietnam mission and never was a huge fan. The prison break level wasn't too bad until the end though. Certainly had some cool moments. Same with the "launch" mission. But overall I wasn't a fan. I never buy CoD games. My brother bought it and I was bored one day and gave it a shot.

I can't disagree with you more on that. I love that game. I have Airland Battle but I haven't got around to playing it yet. I expect I will like it even more.

My Wargame thing is more a symptom of my tastes than anything wrong with the game itself. I was more disappointed that I just couldn't find myself enjoying the game. My main RTS squeeze is Close Combat- much slower paced and much more personal.

- LetDown: Lie Sabre (a broken product that never got repaired. Shitty PR and abandoning product despite the promises is a lousy act of cowardice)

- Company Of Heroes 2 (I mean... what the f... :| one of the worst sequels EVER. The only thing that was done rather well was the SP campaign...)

- SEGA's Company Of Heroes (when CoH2 turned out to be pile of crap, SEGA decided to hit the CoH1 mod playerbase. These assholes broke CoH1...)

- Medal Of Honor: Warfighter (crap gunplay, crap missions, crap technical side, in overall it was supposed to be better than MoH 2010. After all, it was much, much worse)

- Every Brothers in Arms game (first two without mods were unplayable, also... it's rather shit compared to what they promised)

also:

- FEAR 3 (FEAR 2 was nice, what the hell the 3rd one was supposed to be, anyway?)

- GRID 2 (BOO-HOO, no FPS view. Total deal-breaker)

- CoD: Black Ops (no, it wasnt a bad game. In fact, the SP part was great and even MP wasn't THAT bad. There's only one unfulfilled promise... WHERE'S THE GODDAMN MOD TOOLS? PS: people who cry over the mash-up concept and the not-serious approach are rather sad)

- Jagged Alliance: Back In Action (crap real-time something that has nothing on the classic JA2)

- Every Red Faction game since the first one (number of reasons, but the most important one being not even half as good as the first one)

- Warface (was supposed to be a great coop shooter, is heavily meh and a pay2win in PvP)

- Heroes and Generals (few unbalanced gameplay elements and too few maps, very slow progress since open beta)

- Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2, GR Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2, Future Soldier (I can stand turning sim's into action shooters, but FFS, do it right...)

- Mafia 2 (No, the ending was very good. It was the already mentioned content-cut and shit DLC's that damaged it)

- Wargame: EE, Wargame: AB (the infantry part was a bad joke)

- Men Of Valor (crap console port, not really fun)

- ShellShock '67 (crap console port, not really fun)

- every MGS, Killzone, Syphon Filter, Time-Splitters and Perfect Dark game (for being great games... THAT AREN'T ON PC)

I also tend to quietly weep at night over the "pick your units" screen that just "isn't there" for CM: Shock Force...

Also, how can You say Vietcong 1 was buggy? Played since release and never really ran into anything game breaking. I call bullshit on this one.

Edited by JonPL

GTA4, even today it runs like shit. Ignoring the performance issues, it doesn't feel like a GTA game should have (SA for example); vehicle handling sucked, the world was boring and colourless.

I haven't tried GTA 5 yet, hopefully it improves upon 4 though.