ruthberg

Advanced Ballistics (WIP)

Ah, I see now. What I'm trying to do though, is to have all of these, so that it can work with your AB and the Atrag. I don't know entirely on how to create a new gun profile, putting in all the separate variables for, say, the .338 Lapua that is in Massi's weapon pack. Or for 5.56 in the Design Mastery. From what I understand, modders use Spartan's data, and puts them into their weapons mods, and it SHOULD be ballistically (real word?) correct. I use Massis' weapons, Robert Hammer's pistols, and the Design Mastery pack. From what I understand, they use his ballistic data. But, when I'm doing some long range shooting, with Massi's pack, and use your AB and Atrag, I don't see a gun profile for .338 (8.6/8.58x70mm) or like a .300 Blackout gun profile for something in HLC's weapon pack. So my question I guess, is how do I add them to your Atrag?

Hi Goblin :) I'm interested in your Sniper mod as well. How can i run your mod along with Advanced Ballistics? ;)

Just have my mod enabled. Nothing else is needed for the WeaponSway option. Its all automatic. Just tested with AGM and CSE. Works great. No keypress needed. Just go prone for zero sway. Its detects automatically. (as it should) The the lowest crouch, is also automatic.

Also check out my Sniper practice area in the included Map/Mission. I have custom Human-Sized Targets that have hit-location! You can use Radio Triggers to set or randomize wind, and randomize the Target range out to 1000m.

If it goes anything like the Heli DLC it will be good game play features and more futuristic weapons.... I to hope they don't break advanced ballistics. My guess its they will break every weapon addon with the DLC when it first comes out.

What do you mean by "futuristic" like rail gun futuristic or like very near future futuristic?

The magnification of LRPS is obviously not 18-75x but more like 10-25x

Hello TiborasaurusRex,

I don't have your expertise but, in ArmA3, it can't be these values, or more exactly, one of these two values is wrong.

Why ?

Before, some conditions :

First : i assume that the BI MilDot reticle is correctly calibrated : 1 meter for 1000 meter (6283,2 mRad or ~ 6400 mils), it seems to be.

Second : fovTop=0.75;

We have 2 zooms in game with our sniper-scopes : an opticsZoomMin = 0.01; the biggest and an opticsZoomMax = 0.04; the smallest.

So the zoom ratio for these scopes is 1 for 4.

If you estimate at 10x magnification the smaller reticle, the second must be a 40x reticle

and viceversa with the 25x magnification, the scope will become a 6.25 - 25x magnification.

Make your choice.:p

Because my english is bad, i hope that is comprehensible for you and you will understand that 10-25x is partially wrong.

My evaluation on my 23.5' 16/9 monitor (7.5-30x magnification) is just empiric and subjective

and this "0.3" must be seen as a compromise between game design, game-play and hardware.

I'm not sure that a absolute "unit of zoom" exists because ArmA3 is just a game and we don't have the same monitor

but i'm sure that "0.3" could be better than the BI "0.75" or "0.375".:p

Good Sunday for all. :)

You may find some claimed BC's kinda different from the actual ones. You plug all the correct parameters but your shot is still off. Therefore, i'm planning on getting the actual (in-game) BC's of all AB projectiles and sharing it with you all :) i'm gonna use some of my Truing tools to get the actual BC's, hopefully they'll work for AB, so stay tuned ;)

Dear Ruthberg :)

As i promised before, i've calibrated all your long range bullets parameters and managed to obtain the Actual (in-game) BC's & Mv's :yay:

i literally spent last two weeks busting my b*tt pretty hard on this calibration and now i proudly present this:

AB Calibrated Ammo Parameters (Actual BC & MV)

Please Ruthberg, i'm hoping you don't mind posting it on the front page coz this calibration will certainly help everybody deliver accurate shots :)

I included all the ammo parameters (claimed & actual BC, MV, Caliber, Length, Mass. etc) so everybody can just plug them into the AtragMX, let it come up with some super-accurate firing solution, and then send some dead-on shots to the target ;)

Worth noting that:

1. I was running Arma 3 v1.36, Advanced Ballistics v3.1.1, & VTS Simple Weapon Resting while calibrating those projectiles (No AGM, CSE, Von Quest, SpookWar, etc)

2. I calibrated those projectiles only in Altis at sea level (1013.25 hpa, 21 C, 50% humidity), didn't calibrate them in low-pressure/high altitude area like ClAfghan but i'm pretty sure it'll work just fine in any area

3. I only used Vanilla & Trixie's guns, didn't calibrate them with other weapon mods

4. I zeroed all the guns at 100 m only to minimize the Zero Point of Impact Error (500 m zero is too far for me) & i highly recommend you to do the same :)

5. I obtained the Actual (in-game) BC's of those projectiles using Calibration Tool provided by a reliable ballistics app called Exterior Ballistics Calculator

6. I managed to test the obtained BC's by shooting them at 100 m - Max effective range in order to prove them right (it seriously took a lot of my time :cryy: ) and yeah this calibration totally worked perfectly awesome. :bounce3:

if you guys are not satisfied with my calibration, you can actually calibrate the BC yourself by doing these:

1. Make sure you've input all the parameters correctly

2. Set up a target at your bullet max effective range (e.g., M118LR at 800 m, .338 LM at 1500 m, .408 CT at 2100 m, etc)

3. Shoot some rounds at the target

4. Find the difference between where you aimed (current elevation adjustment) and where your bullets actually hit (the actual bullet drop).

5. True or change the BC in the solver to match the results of what you just shot. There are 2 ways:

A) Old school - If it's low, you lower the BC. If it's high, you higher the BC. you keep tweaking the BC until your solver matches the actual bullet drop.

B) New school - you can use Ballistics Calibration/Truing tool through some apps like EBC, Applied Ballistics, StrelokPro, etc. they're all really accurate.

6. After you come up with the new BC, test it out at uprange and midrange to check if it works for all ranges.

7. After getting the actual BC, please share it with us all in this thread

May dear God in Heaven bless you all!

-Rex-

Edited by TiborasaurusRex

I would like to get Ruthberg's attention regarding a devbranch update made today. I don't know exactly how Advanced Ballistics works but maybe there could be a compatibility problem here. Might be worth looking into, eh?

Added: Weapon muzzle velocities are now correctly defined per weapon and not per magazine as before (backward compatibility is maintained as magazine initSpeed is now considered when there is no initSpeed defined in the weapon, while a weapon defined initSpeed overrides the magazine defined value)

@TiborasaurusRex, thanks again for your hard work! I appreciate it very much.

@Brisse, I will take this into account when I release the next version. Thanks for bringing this up.

Edited by Ruthberg

@TiborasaurusRex, thanks again for your hard work! I appreciate it very much.

You're most welcome Ruthberg :) i'm the one who should thank you so much for creating such a wonderful shooting simulation :D i just can't stop loving it :) AB is way too awesome \m/

But i'm really worried the latest devbranch update will mess things up again >_< Will it affect your ballistics again? :'(

I would like to get Ruthberg's attention regarding a devbranch update made today. I don't know exactly how Advanced Ballistics works but maybe there could be a compatibility problem here. Might be worth looking into, eh?

OMFG is this for real? I just done calibrated all AB ammo parameters and BI already messed AB up with the latest update again?! Damn, i'm gonna end up having to re-calibrate the BC's all over again >_< Seriously guys i'm quite sure everytime a devbranch update shows up, i get a feeling that the ballistics (especially the BC/AirFriction value) gets affected somehow :'(

Don't u feel it too, Ruthberg? Forgive me for my OCD but i just want my shots to be accurate :') Is there any possible way to maintain the current ballistics so i don't need to re-calibrate the BC's over and over again? :(

hmm i think i'm gonna stick to v1.36 for a while...when you come up with new AB, i'm gonna try to check out the trajectory whether my calibration still works or not. If it doesn't work, damn i'm gonna re-calibrate again! Yihaa!!! :D

I think you are exaggerating slightly :)

If it does affect AB then I'm sure Ruthberg will easily fix it so that everything will work as we expect. I can't even say for sure that there is a problem.

@Ruthberg, Thank you so much for making this mod. It's the next best thing to actually going to the range(and cheaper). Also your 360 course is tons of fun too.

I have a few Ideas and figure it's best if I get it out of my system now.

1. It would be pretty awesome to see a system where one could input their own gun/ammo data. The model of the weapon doesn't matter(some placeholder) but barrel length, muzzle velocity, twist rate, etc would be accurate(an in game gui. Same with bullets. Thinking about all the variables it sounds like this would be quite the undertaking so maybe down the road...or never lol.

2. Maybe a shooting sling were it helps reduce sway(specifically in the sitting or standing positions).It could just be in the persons inventory (or more accurately in the persons "uniform" slot. Not necessarily on the rifle.

3. Implementing Natural Point of Aim in some capacity. I don't know how one could implement this or if it would enhance game play or just be annoying. Again just an idea.

@TiborasaurusRex, Thanks for the updated BC/MV. I'm still messing around with them but I can say the updated .408 BC is PERFECT. I am getting consistent hits beyond 2500 Meters (On VR map, no sway mod, no wind). :D

That's all I got. Hope I added to the conversation. Thanks to all who helped make this mod.

@TiborasaurusRex, Thanks for the updated BC/MV. I'm still messing around with them but I can say the updated .408 BC is PERFECT. I am getting consistent hits beyond 2500 Meters (On VR map, no sway mod, no wind). :D

@BADJuJu308: Thank God my calibration seems to work! :bounce3: Thank you so much for giving it a try :yay: It' s working best especially for the v1.36. I calibrated those bullets only on Altis' beach (at sea level, 1013.25 hpa) but hopefully it'll work on any other map as well :) Would you mind testing all the updated BC/MV just to make sure they all work perfectly fine (especially on low-pressure map like Chernarus, Takistan, Clafghan, etc)? and it'd be nice if we could just put it to the test using the latest v1.38 update & the upcoming AB release...i'd be most grateful if it really worked for the v1.38 :)

i hope this calibration will help you guys shoot better and more accurately :) just plug all the parameters right into the AtragMX and dial whatever firing solution it produces...if it's still off, just the tweak the BC a lil bit (if your shot's still low, just lower the BC. if your shot's still high, just higher the BC)

1. It would be pretty awesome to see a system where one could input their own gun/ammo data. The model of the weapon doesn't matter(some placeholder) but barrel length, muzzle velocity, twist rate, etc would be accurate(an in game gui. Same with bullets. Thinking about all the variables it sounds like this would be quite the undertaking so maybe down the road...or never lol

this is such a badass idea, we could just plug our loadout data and the game would simulate whatever guns & bullets we like to use :bounce3:

Ruthberg once came up with this Sandbox Mission which allows us to modify the muzzle velocity, drag model, ballistic coefficient, etc. But i haven't dug this mission yet coz i still don't know how to run it properly :(

Proof-of-concept sandbox mission:

AdvancedBallistics_Sandbox.Altis.pbo

AdvancedBallistics_Sandbox.Stratis.pbo

http://abload.de/thumb/arma3_2014_12_14_16_5zruq7.jpg

You can modify the muzzle velocity, drag model and ballistic coefficient on-the-fly by executing the scripts shown in the screenshot. The example represents a 6.5x47mm Lapua 139gr HPBT Scenar bullet.

Example script code:

AB_Custom_MuzzleVelocity = 820;
AB_Custom_DragModel = 7;
AB_Custom_BallisticCoefficients = [0.29];
AB_Custom_VelocityBoundaries = [];
AB_Custom_AtmosphereModel = "ICAO";

Edited by TiborasaurusRex

@TiborasaurusRex yeah I tested the .300 Berger WM, .408, MK248 M1, and M118LR on Takistan out to their effective range and they're all right on. :) I was using v1.36 I haven't tried v1.38 though. Is there another link to those missions? It said "File has expired and does not exist anymore on this server" :(

@TiborasaurusRex yeah I tested the .300 Berger WM, .408, MK248 M1, and M118LR on Takistan out to their effective range and they're all right on. :) I was using v1.36 I haven't tried v1.38 though. Is there another link to those missions? It said "File has expired and does not exist anymore on this server" :(

Splendid! :bounce3: thank you so much BADJuJu! ;) i've tried to test them myself on Stratis and they seem dead-on :yay: I haven't done it on other maps too coz all links to 360° Course v1.2 have expired sadly :( I'm still using v1.36 as well...anybody has tried the v1.38 yet?

Splendid! :bounce3: thank you so much BADJuJu! ;) i've tried to test them myself on Stratis and they seem dead-on :yay: I haven't done it on other maps too coz all links to 360° Course v1.2 have expired sadly :( I'm still using v1.36 as well...anybody has tried the v1.38 yet?

Just open the editor on whatever map you want, place your player and whatever else, save it to your missions. Then open up your 360 course folder and take everything except the mission.sqm file and copy it to your newly saved mission. This should add all the 360 course functionality.

If your 360 course mission is in .pbo format, you will need something like "PBO Manager" to open it and get the files.

Seriously

Seriously what ? It's sarcastic ?

Sorry but i don't understand, i have missed something ?

Hello! Very thank you for your Advanced Ballistics mod! It's awesome)

Our team deals a project at Arma 3, maximally hardcore for players. Attendance of the project 160-170 players at a time. And your ballistics came in very handy. At the same time on such a number test have shown excellent optimization of your mod.

There were a few problems that I will try to describe here:

1. We use the AGM at our games (disabling their ballistics and wind because it's conflicting with yout mod) and faced that after AGM 0.95 version of their overheating module adversely affects your ballistics. Using the module of overheating weapons version 0.95 solves this problem. Maybe you can fix it or contact with the guys from AGM. Many players use both of these together mod and I wonder if a problem has not yet been reported.

2. We have tried to link your ballistics to grenades used in HMG, but to them it is not affected. We took the identical configure like bullets. This is our problem or how it should be?

Hello! Very thank you for your Advanced Ballistics mod! It's awesome)

Our team deals a project at Arma 3, maximally hardcore for players. Attendance of the project 160-170 players at a time. And your ballistics came in very handy. At the same time on such a number test have shown excellent optimization of your mod.

There were a few problems that I will try to describe here:

1. We use the AGM at our games (disabling their ballistics and wind because it's conflicting with yout mod) and faced that after AGM 0.95 version of their overheating module adversely affects your ballistics. Using the module of overheating weapons version 0.95 solves this problem. Maybe you can fix it or contact with the guys from AGM. Many players use both of these together mod and I wonder if a problem has not yet been reported.

2. We have tried to link your ballistics to grenades used in HMG, but to them it is not affected. We took the identical configure like bullets. This is our problem or how it should be?

1) This problem already has been reported by me. I already contacted the AGM Team but they won't do anything on their part to fix this issue. I already had a chat with Ruthberg about the source of the problem. AGM_Scopes and AGM_Wind must be removed which is obvious. AGM_overheating brakes the zeroing of the scopes and alters the muzzle velocity of the bullet which is already done on ABs part. AGM_recoil may cause problems when firing in semi-automatic mode since then again it can brake the zeroing of the scopes. AGM_ballistics doesn't have an effect on AB. When using AGM_Firecontrolsystem you need to make sure that in AB the vehicle function is disable otherwise AGM_FCS is rendered useless.

Seriously what ? It's sarcastic ?

Sorry but i don't understand, i have missed something ?

I'm agreeing with you, no sarcasm intended.

do we have any info on the effect the marksman dlc will have on this mod?

Hopefully it does not mess it up.

Or

Maybe marksmen dlc does everything this mod does right from the engine but that is just me being hopeful.

Either way this mod is amazing and what it does for gameplay is fantastic.

Unless you have an on/off button as for the helicopter DLC I guess the marksman dlc will have a tremendous effect on AB. Let's hope BIS doesn't do anything by halves.