ruthberg

Advanced Ballistics (WIP)

@gienkov, Brisse, sttosin: Advanced Ballistics is totally the most realistic shooting simulator i've ever seen!

Agree. One can have a ton of fun, just using it as a ballistics simulator while ignoring the rest of the game. I'm not saying I ignore the other parts of it, but I imagine some people might.

I have yet to see BIS include community made content though. It did happen in the racing sim of Assetto Corsa, where a modder made a car which was so good it got the devs attention, and they came to some sort of agreement, refined the car slightly and included it in the game.

That's what BIS should do with Advanced Ballistics, they should include it in the new DLC Marksmen, and instead of spending time in doing something that's already an A+ work, start working on something else. New.

Bug: Shooting at Panthera causes the game to freeze

Fault address:  212D2FA6 01:00001FA6 D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\AdvancedBallistics.dll
file:     
world:    Panthera3
Prev. code bytes: 0F 2C D2 F2 0F 10 94 24 88 00 00 00 F2 0F 5C D7
Fault code bytes: 0F AF 51 28 F2 0F 59 D5 0F 54 E2 0F 28 C2 0F 57

Registers:
EAX:00000000 EBX:FFFFFFFF
ECX:00000000 EDX:00000031
ESI:7A3B8778 EDI:00000000
CS:EIP:0023:212D2FA6
SS:ESP:002B:0254C2F8  EBP:0254C514
DS:002B  ES:002B  FS:0053  GS:002B
Flags:00010202

Changelog Version 2.9.1 (Hotfix):

-DLL Extension: Fixed incorrect terrain initialization on some terrains

Edited by Ruthberg

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Another thing about the dll. I think the location of the dll doesn't really matter as long as the folder where it resides is included into the launch path.

hi Ruthberg,

i've just tested your .50 BMG A-Max & .416 Barrett, they're both totally awesome \m/ the A-Max is really neck and neck with .408 CT, their trajectories are very close!

But .408 CT is slightly more stable in producing tight 10-shot group. According to my solvers, the exact BC of your .50 BMG A-Max & .416 Barrett are actually 1.01 and 0.755 :) I'm still using AB v2.7 though...

Anyway, i wanna ask you guys a question about latest game update (v1.36) on Steam. I'm currently using the Legacy Build (v1.32) and I don't wanna download the v1.36. I wanna stick to v1.32 coz it's the best version for Advanced Ballistics.

But my Arma 3 suddenly updated itself :'( Fortunately I managed to pause it by going offline and miraculously still able to play the v1.32

My Steam already downloaded 2% though and i paused it. That 2% is not written to my Arma 3 directory, right?

In case my Steam keeps updating my Arma 3, is it possible for me to revert it again back to Legacy Build (v1.32)? how?

Yes, 1.32 is still available. Use access code: "MakeArmaNotWar"

For 1.34 use: "Arma3Legacy134"

Hi Ruthberg,

an acquaintance of mine told me that he had a hard time playing your mod together with AGM even though he already disabled AGM ballistics completely, he said that AGM scope adjustment didn't work well to compensate for the AB trajectory. He said that his shots always fell short when using AGM scope. Is AGM scope not suitable with AB? or is it because AGM scope uses MoA? Well he did mistakenly dial in Mil so i told him to set the AtragMX to MoA and dial in MoA but then his shots became too high :/ what's going on here?

but i assume he just did some of these "newbie" mistakes:

- The BC he was using might be incorrect

- maybe he input wrong ammo & gun parameter into his solver

- maybe he input the wrong MV (perhaps he didn't take MV shift due to ammo temp into account )

- maybe he didn't measure the atmospheric condition right (air pressure, temp, humidity)

- maybe he didn't consider strong headwind which can affect velocity lapse and cause the bullet to fall short

he never clarified it though...

any thoughts on this?

Edited by TiborasaurusRex

I have never actually tried it, but in theory the AGM scope adjustment should work just fine with AdvancedBallistics. The scope zeroing, however, is going to be off quite a bit. He needs to keep that in mind, when he uses the ATragMX default profiles. AGM sets the scope zeroing to 1 m, if I am not mistaken.

The scope zeroing, however, is going to be off quite a bit. He needs to keep that in mind, when he uses the ATragMX default profiles. AGM sets the scope zeroing to 1 m, if I am not mistaken.

omg this could be it! so it means AGM scope zeroing doesn't fit AB, ain't it? maybe you could try to contact KoffeinFlummi (AGM creator) to clarify this issue?

i want to help on this but me and that guy already got beef, some time ago i kinda pissed him off lol XD

AGM scope zeroing should work as long as you tell your ballistic solver (e.g. ATragMX) the correct zero range.

I just checked the AGM code. It is as you said: The default zeroing is set to 1 meter for all scopes in AGM

https://github.com/KoffeinFlummi/AGM/blob/master/AGM_Scopes/config.cpp

See scope starting at line 89, discreteDistance is set to 1.

zeroed at 1 meter? lmfao XD eww dear AGM so much for authenticity...okay, we can just tell our solvers to zero it at 1 meter but that's really odd XD can we just re-zero AGM scopes at 25 meter at least?

Typical zeroing for Pistols is 25m, typical SMG is 50m, typical AR is 100m and everything after that is generally 100-200m zeroing in RL. Now this can all change with different ammunition and calibers.

I really want proper ballistics, but at the same time i don't want inconsistencies. This mod should honestly be merged with AGM.

Besides, while i can make config patches for some weapon mods missing the required lines to properly support Advanced Ballistics, i have absolutely no idea how i'm supposed to fine certain data ( like bullet caliber in inches, or barrel twist ) and i can't be arsed to go through various military websites and PDF to find an answer on a subject i'm not really interested in, in the first place.

I appreciate the work you guys are trying to do, but i just can't see this mod being applied in a modpack without massive inconsistencies and issues.

If there is any weapon pack you would like to have config data for, then just ask in this thread and I am most likely going to include it into the next release version. But it should also work pretty well without any additional config data. As long as the vanilla configs (initSpeed and airFriction) are fairly reasonable.

Typical zeroing for Pistols is 25m, typical SMG is 50m, typical AR is 100m and everything after that is generally 100-200m zeroing in RL. Now this can all change with different ammunition and calibers.

exactly, you can't just zero your gun at 1 m lol XD the shortest typical zero range is 25 m. Can someone tell KoffeinFlummi (AGM creator) about this? it'd be nice if he was humble enough to implement AB into his mod. i've tried to convince that guy to do so but he cockily refused :(

I really want proper ballistics, but at the same time i don't want inconsistencies. This mod should honestly be merged with AGM.

I appreciate the work you guys are trying to do, but i just can't see this mod being applied in a modpack without massive inconsistencies and issues.

that's why we gotta convince KoffeinFlummi to implement AB into his AGM.

Dear Ruthberg, I should be most grateful if you would persuade KoffeinFlummi to do so :)

We can't force them to do it. However, they are allowed to do it if they change their minds on this topic.

Besides, while i can make config patches for some weapon mods missing the required lines to properly support Advanced Ballistics, i have absolutely no idea how i'm supposed to fine certain data ( like bullet caliber in inches, or barrel twist ) and i can't be arsed to go through various military websites and PDF to find an answer on a subject i'm not really interested in, in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not aware of how broad the scope is of various mods that alter ballistics, but aren't any inconsistencies you are talking about going to be unavoidable unless every mod maker uses the same exact ballistic data? I assume an example of an inconsistency you are talking about would be something like gun A and gun B, which both shoot the same cartridge, have a different amount of drop at 500m? In case it's not, what is an example of an inconsistency you are referring to?

I don't know about you, but long range shooting was dull as can be without this. Having the experience dumbed down to simply hitting page up/down to the target distance and making a shot even a mile away was ridiculous. Now, to even have a realistic chance at making first round hits at extreme long range you got to have your Kestrel, a ballistics calculator and an understanding of what it all means. For me it's all about the process of arriving at an accurate firing solution, and actually "dialing" it into the scope. This mod does nothing short of creating the most realistic shooting experience I've seen in a game by a long shot (pun intended, or is that a double entendre? lol). I suppose if you already use a mod that simulates varying conditions that effect projectile flight to a complexity you are satisfied with, then you don't really have much to gain with this mod.

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

If there is any weapon pack you would like to have config data for, then just ask in this thread and I am most likely going to include it into the next release version. But it should also work pretty well without any additional config data. As long as the vanilla configs (initSpeed and airFriction) are fairly reasonable.

If I could make a suggestion, a finer input in the atrag for wind direction. It's not a deal breaker, but for long shots and wind values in between I find myself calculating for each "hour" on either side and indexing the scope something in the middle.

As far as adding weapon configs (if they aren't already added):

A rifle I stumbled upon recently and liked was Trixie's M40 - I'd like to make this my mid-long range rifle, and I thought I saw that you added configs for that pack, but I noticed it shot really fast and flat and I wasn't able to come up with anything to get good firing solutions for it. Someone also needs to come up with some good bolt-action animations for crying out loud, lol.

The original .408CT is too dang good and matches too closely with my calculations for those really long shots to use anything else at this point. If you can tell me other guns you have gone over, config'd and found to be trustworthly for extreme range, then I'd rather hear about them, rather than suggest a bunch of additional configs.

It might be time to bust out Blender though, because I think we need more sub .400 cal long-range calibers like .338 LM, .300 WM, .260 Rem/6.5 CM, maybe even .243 WIN, and I have some experience modelling/texturing. I was thinking about doing a pack based on a R700 with various stocks/chassis and some popular optics. Anyone else a master of getting things into game want to team up? ;)

One last thing... All of us who are into this need to get together and do some precision rifle shooting every now and again. Ruth, are the features of your 360 course fully MP compatible?

One last thing... All of us who are into this need to get together and do some precision rifle shooting every now and again. Ruth, are the features of your 360 course fully MP compatible?
No they're not. But I'm open for feature suggestions in the 360 Degree Training Course thread.

If I could make a suggestion, a finer input in the atrag for wind direction. It's not a deal breaker, but for long shots and wind values in between I find myself calculating for each "hour" on either side and indexing the scope something in the middle.

it'd be very nice if wind direction input is in degree instead of hour. well it's not a big deal though...

A rifle I stumbled upon recently and liked was Trixie's M40 - I'd like to make this my mid-long range rifle, and I thought I saw that you added configs for that pack, but I noticed it shot really fast and flat and I wasn't able to come up with anything to get good firing solutions for it.

perhaps you still use the old version of trixie's? have you tried the modified version of Trixie's Sniper/Marksman Pack that makes use of the new AB ammo types (the included M107s are now able to shoot .416 Barrett and .50 BMG Hornady A-MAX)? Modified Trixie's

The original .408CT is too dang good and matches too closely with my calculations for those really long shots to use anything else at this point. If you can tell me other guns you have gone over, config'd and found to be trustworthly for extreme range, then I'd rather hear about them, rather than suggest a bunch of additional configs.

.408CT is extremely accurate even beyond its max effective range. it's advertised to be able to stay stable even at transonic or subsonic range, but i've never shot that round in real life though lol XD With the AB, my longest .408CT shot is 2600 m, first round hit. AB's 408CT has very small dispersion, able to produce super tight shot group even at extreme range \m/

It might be time to bust out Blender though, because I think we need more sub .400 cal long-range calibers like .338 LM, .300 WM, .260 Rem/6.5 CM, maybe even .243 WIN

totally agreed :D

Does anyone have some ballistics data on something similar to the "7,62 mm sk ptr 10 prick"?

t_psg90_underk.jpg

http://www.soldf.com/psg90.html

I'm trying to make a certain "forces pack" take full advantage of Ruthberg's Advanced Ballistics, and this is the last thing standing in my way.