ruthberg

Advanced Ballistics (WIP)

Have you ever considered pushing the time critical and heavy computations to an external program which you access via a .dll?
Yes, I actually did. Let's see what I can do for the next version.

What? Where? Where is this Android app? :)

EDIT: Ah I see, it's in the play store... I was under the impression Ruth developed this as well...

these are awesome & reliable commercial ballistics calculators which i use for real life shooting and for Ruthberg's Advanced Ballistics:

Applied Ballistics

Shooter

External Ballistics Calculator

Sierra Infinity 6

Ballistic: Advanced Edition

they're all completely applicable to Advanced Ballistics and surprisingly a bit more accurate than his AtragMX :)

or if you don't wanna spend any money, you can try some of these free ballistics calculators like:

JBM Ballistics → really awesome & reliable!

→ really awesome & reliable!

GNU Ballistics → really awesome & reliable!

Strelok → this is kinda garbage though lol

Edited by TiborasaurusRex

Hi Ruthberg. I've been looking over various mods I use and noticed in your change log - "Added config data for RHS (AFRF and USAF), TMR and the new HLC MP5 pack". Concerning TMR, I'm assuming this has to do with its ballistic modifications, but I'm not sure what all is involved here. In any case would it be best to just remove the TMR ballistic pbo to avoid redundancy/compatibility issues if I'm looking for consistency across all weapons, or would I be missing out on something by removing TMR's ballistic files?

You don't need to modify any of the mods you mentioned.

"Added config data for mod X" simply means, that AdvancedBallistics is now fully compatible with mods X.

Version 2.8 Changelog:

-Performance improvements

-Added an optional AdvancedBallistics.dll (huge performance increase)

-Added a userconfig setting that allows you enable/disable the use of dll extensions

-Added G1 drag coefficient to the russian 12.7x108 mm cartridge

-Added config data for the Community Upgrade Project - Weapon Pack

I've been curious about these performance increases since brainslush made his suggestion. I wasn't aware of any performance degradation from your mod, but is this something we should notice? I wouldn't have thought the calculations were all that intensive for the CPU unless maybe the mod applied to AI fire as well. At any rate, I'll be giving all the updated stuff a go today. Faster/more efficient is always better.

@DGeorge85, in multiplayer sessions with many players and on lower end computers, there were noticeable frame drops, which are now most likely gone. Feel free to not use the dll if you don't experience any performance problems.

@DGeorge85, in multiplayer sessions with many players and on lower end computers, there were noticeable frame drops, which are now most likely gone. Feel free to not use the dll if you don't experience any performance problems.

Ah, I see. I don't know why I wouldn't use it, unless you can give me some sort of drawback? It sounds like a free lunch, however big or small it may be.

I got all the updates and jumped in my edited 360 course to mess around, and I'm not getting any wind speed, temperature, or humidity.

Edit: I suppose it's an issue I'm having with the Kestrel because it appears the bullets are drifting, and shift+K shows a wind direction, the Kestrel is just not picking it up along with the temperature and humidity. Pressure is showing though.

Edited by DGeorge85

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hello Ruthberg,

as mentioned by DGeorge85, when i use your mods as the same time and open the Kestrel , i have a message : "Script advancedballistics\fnc_calculate_wind_speed.sqf not found"

the Kestrel don't work correctly.

As usual, thanks a lot for your works and congrats for this update and your missions.

Best regards.:)

Edited by J3aLeiNe

Version 2.8 Changelog:

-Added config data for the Community Upgrade Project - Weapon Pack

Awesome, thank you for adding this. I was tempted to make a quick config to allow this, but I'm glad you tackled it so quickly!

Hey Ruthberg,

I absolutely love this addon, however since the last update of AdvancedBallistics, whenever I access the Virtual Arsenal from a mission, it just freezes on the loading screen.

I confirmed it's AdvancedBallistics since I tested it with no other mods running, other than CBA. When AdvancedBallistics isn't running, I can access the Virtual Arsenal just fine.

I'll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.

Edit1: This seems to be related to the newly added terrain initialization script. I'll see what I can do about it.

A quick fix for this would be to not use the AdvancedBallistics.dll, or to disable its use in the userconfig:

#define AB_EXTENSIONS_ENABLED false

Edit2: It's not directly related to the use of the extension, but it should be fixed with version 2.8.1.

Edited by Ruthberg

Is the DLL client side or server side ? Or both ?

At the moment, I can connect to my server using the DLL without having it in my /dll folder.

The AdvancedBallistics.dll extension is an optional feature. It's only used client side to speed up the calculations.

I can connect to my server using the DLL without having it in my /dll folder.

The dll will only be used if you put it into the root folder of your ArmA 3 installation (...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\AdvancedBallistics.dll).

Edited by Ruthberg

I'll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.

Edit: This seems to be related to the newly added terrain initialization script. I'll see what I can do about it.

A quick fix for this would be to not use the AdvancedBallistics.dll, or to disable its use in the userconfig:

Hm, I'm not using the .dll. I tried the userconfig thing, but it still freezes.

I think I found the issue(s), I'll release a hotfix for this later today.

Edit1: @TSean, you're right, the bug seems to always occur.

Edit2: I release a hotfix, please let me know if you still have the problem.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Version 2.8.1 Changelog:

-Fixed extension initialization freezing the game in some circumstances

-Fixed extension initialization being run even if no extension was used

@Ruthberg: I can read minds, yeah! Have you measured the performance increase? It probably varies from machine to machine and also depends if you did some performance enhancing programming but still

I've been curious about these performance increases since brainslush made his suggestion. I wasn't aware of any performance degradation from your mod, but is this something we should notice? I wouldn't have thought the calculations were all that intensive for the CPU unless maybe the mod applied to AI fire as well. At any rate, I'll be giving all the updated stuff a go today. Faster/more efficient is always better.

You specially noticed it when multiple vehicle MGs or automatic rifles were fired in MP. Usually the framedrop is negligible but in Arma one always appreciates some extra frames since either one or the other way you always will find a point where you could use some more frames.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Have you measured the performance increase?
Yes I did. The code (which is executed once per bullet per frame) is running ~5 times faster on my machine, when I use the new extension.

So to be sure, we need v2.8.1 and the ATrag and Kestrel from the links you posted on the last page, correct?