ruthberg

Advanced Ballistics (WIP)

Velocity shift in feet/s from 0 °F to 100 °F in 10 °F steps:

[-91, -86, -78, -68, -57, -42, -23, 0, 29, 65, 110]

NOW that makes sense. I thought why mv shift was so huge..

Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

Would you consider using SI units in configs? Please?:D

@Ruthberg: wow thanks a lot for the loadout parameters! :D ohh one more thing bro, i just installed ASDG Joint Rails & ASDG Joint Muzzles for EricJ weapons mod, will they affect my muzzle velocity and trajectory? will they conflict with your mod?

ASDG JR definitely not and also ASDG JM shouldn't make any trouble since both are only class defines to make weapons attachments and silencer compatible for different addon packs containing weapons, optics, bipods and what so ever which infact are all using the same rail system in real life.

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

That's what I thought.

@Brainlush: thanks for the clarification :D now i can use those mods in peace lol XD

@Blu3man: yes converting the Celsius to Fahrenheit and converting the Feet/s to Meter/s are pretty tricky especially if you don't have any calculator lol XD you can just use the imperial system on the AtragMX but unfortunately it's still buggy...sadly the AtragMX only works for Metric system :( here's how to convert those units:

1 feet/s = 1 x 0.3048 = 0.3048 meter/s

1 meter/s = 1 : 0.3048 = 3.3 feet/s

1°C = 1 x 1.8 + 32 = 33.8°F

1°F = (1 - 32) x 0.56 = -17.1°C

@Ruthberg: it'd be nice if the AtragMx Imperial system also works fine like the Metric system :) plus it'd be awesome if the Kestrel could convert the Celsius to Fahrenheit like it does in real life ;)

Edited by vekongmaster

A summary of our last test.

1. It seems that the wind doesn't apply for firing from vehicles on dedicated servers but in the editor it does work. We will check that again.
  2. Having multiple people firing at once using machine guns doesn't cause any noticable framedrop
  3. Is it intended that the Kestrel and the AtragMX can't be opened when they are located in the backpack? (I like it)
  4. It seems that sometimes the bullettrail takes a different path than the bullet but this needs more testing
  5. The impact points are synchronized

Edited by brainslush

Thank you very much for spending your time on testing this.

1. I was able to reproduce the bug. Will be fixed in the next version.
  2. Great news.
  3. Yes that's intended.
  4. The bullet trace is only visible when the bullet is flying faster than 600 m/s. This might lead to a misconception of the trajectory.
  5. Great news.

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

Yes, I will change it in the version.

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

Version 2.1 Changelog:

-Fixed newly introduced advanced ballistics for rounds fired from vehicles not working on multiplayer clients

-Fixed config setting AB_DISABLED_IN_FULL_AUTO_MODE not working correctly for burst- and custom fire modes

-The muzzle velocity shift array (AB_ammoTempMuzzleVelocityShifts) is now using SI units

Edited by Ruthberg

-The muzzle velocity shift array (AB_ammoTempMuzzleVelocityShifts) is now using SI units

well done Ruthberg, no need to convert things no more :D so what's the Muzzle Velocity shift (in Meter/s from 0°C - 100°C)?

For muzzle velocities around 865 m/s:

mv_c_graphntkrx.png

[-26.55, -25.47, -22.85, -20.12, -16.98, -12.80, -7.64, -1.53, 5.96, 15.17, 26.19] - MV shift in m/s from -15 °C to 35 °C

For muzzle velocities around 900 m/s:

mv_c_graph2uzny.png

[-27.20, -26.44, -23.76, -21.00, -17.54, -13.10, -7.95, -1.62, 6.24, 15.48, 27.75] - MV shift in m/s from -15 °C to 35 °C

Edited by Ruthberg

okay i see, MV shift in Meter/s in 5°C steps (-15°, 10°, 5°, 0°, 5°, 10°, 15°, 20°, 25°, 30°, 35°):

[-26.55, -25.47, -22.85, -20.12, -16.98, -12.80, -7.64, -1.53, 5.96, 15.17, 26.19] m/s → when the basic MV (at 21.3°C or 70°F) is close to 865 m/s

[-27.20, -26.44, -23.76, -21.00, -17.54, -13.10, -7.95, -1.62, 6.24, 15.48, 27.75] m/s → when the basic MV (at 21.3°C or 70°F) is close to 900 m/s

anyway i notice on the config data you gave me yesterday (version 2.0), the .50 cal Russian (12.7x108mm) doesn't seem to have the airFriction, Ballistics Coefficient, transonicStabilityCoef, etc. while other calibers have those values. The .50 cal Russian only got this:

class B_127x108_Ball

{

AB_caliber=0.511;

AB_bulletLength=2.520;

AB_bulletMass=745;

AB_ammoTempMuzzleVelocityShifts[]={-91, -86, -78, -68, -57, -42, -23, 0, 29, 65, 110};

AB_muzzleVelocities[]={840};

AB_barrelLengths[]={28.7};

is that supposed to be like that? coz i've been testing that caliber and it feels like it's not as accurate as the .408 & .50 BMG :/

the .408 & .50 BMG matches my solvers perfectly & always dead on for i input the exact parameter from the config :)

for the .50 Russian, i've input a BC of 0.7 (got it from your Atrag) and a MV of 840 (depending on the temp) but the shot is never dead on :(

Edited by vekongmaster

hi everybody, i'm still a newbie to sniping, got a hard time with wind reading

how do i read the wind from the Kestrel? what wind page on the kestrel i should pay attention to? Wind spd, Headwind page, or Crosswind page?

does the Kestrel already give me the final wind value like Arma 2 ACE kestrel? or i still need to multiply it by its direction, 0.5, 0.7, etc, based on the wind arrow sign in the top left corner?

what really confuses me is that when headwind/tailwind occurs (↑ ↓) the crosswind value on the kestrel will escalate :butbut: while when crosswind occurs (↠→ ↖ ↗ ↘ ↙) the crosswind value on the kestrel will de-escalate even to 0 m/s :butbut: Shouldn't it be otherwise? :confused:

does the Kestrel already give me the final wind value like Arma 2 ACE kestrel?
Yes, but only if your have set your reference heading correctly and are facing the wind while you measure.

The WIND SPD page always outputs the effective wind speed from the direction you are looking at.

The CROSSWIND page outputs the crosswind relative to your reference heading (target direction).

The HEADWIND page outputs the headwind relative to your reference heading (target direction).

You can set your reference heading by clicking the center button on the cross- or headwind page.

Your wind speed reading will be incorrect unless you measure directly into the wind. Obstacles (houses, walls, stones, trees), sloped terrain and height above ground also affects your measurement.

can you give me some tutorial on what to do and how to do for making a good shot, i'm kinda noob here, still not having a good grip on this mod...

please someone teach me...

can you give me some tutorial on what to do and how to do for making a good shot

here let me sum it up for you:

1) input loadout parameter on the solver

open up the AtragMX (Break key) or use your own solver to input these things:

- Ballitics Coefficient - how aerodynamic the shape of bullet overcome the Air Friction to retain its velocity

- Muzzle Velocity - initial bullet velocity which always varies depending on the Ammo Temp!

- Bullet mass, Bullet diameter, Bullet length

- Zero Range

- Scope Height, etc

2) measure the Air Density or Atmospheric Condition

open up the Kestrel (Scroll lock key) & measure the Air pressure, Air Temp, Humidity, then input them on your solver

3) Range the target

use your Rangefinder (B key)

4) measure the Angle of Firing

open up the protractor (ctrl+shift+k) to measure the Inclination Angle, then input it on the solver

5) Spin Drift & Coriolis

the AtragMX won't show it so use your own solver (if you have lol)

spin drift is due to barrel rifling twist, bullet length

coriolis is due to ToF, latitude, and azimuth

but those won't matter too much unless you're doing extreme long range shooting

6) do the Wind Call

- get wind direction (shift+k)

- measure Uprange Wind through kestrel

- measure Downrange Wind through Mirage (but you can barely see it lol)

- input them on your solver

7) let the solver do the math and come up with the Firing Solution (Drop & Drift in Mils or MoA)

8) go prone and deploy your rifle on a bipod to steady your aim

9) to compensate for the drop & drift, you can hold it off (aim above the target & aim into the wind) or dial it in on the scope adjustment

Elevation adjustment is up & down arrow key (↑ ↓), Windage adjustment is right & left arrow key (↠→)

i prefer dialing the elevation and holding the windage (since wind is changing like crazy lol XD)

10) relax, hold your breath (in a second), then pull the trigger gently to send it! BAANNGG!!!

you're welcome :) hope this helps ;)

feels too hard and no fun? well...professional shooters do this in real life :D no room for quickscoping coz this ain't no CoD or BF lol XD

Edited by vekongmaster

Version 2.2 Changelog:

-Fixed a minor bug in the muzzle velocity calculation (sometimes caused RPT errors)

-Refined and expanded the ammo config (added .303 British, Mk318 and Russian M43)

-Userconfig setting AB_VEHICLE_GUNNER_ENABLED is now true by default

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

As mentioned before, i can be reached by PMs, but please do not ask for updates, fixes or anything of the sort as i'll be unable to provide them. If you need my permission to include anything in your modpack/mods etc you have it, provided you credit/seek permission from all other authors involved.

Players who use Trixie's weapon packs might be interested in the following pack of config data.

Trixie.zip

The config.bin files contained in this pack can be used to replace the original ones in Trixie's weapon packs. You can use PBO Manager to do that.

Or - if you don't mind the big files - just download the whole (modified) packs:

@trixie_britishweapons

@trixie_recon

@trixie_rifles

@trixie_xm8

Edited by Ruthberg

ATragMX v0.9 introduced user editable gun profiles. They are stored in the profileNamespace.

You can create new profiles by doing the following:

1. Open the GunList
  2. Click "Add New Gun"
  3. Enter a profile name
  4. Click "OK"
  5. Select your newly created gun profile
  6. Click "Open Gun"
  7. Enter BH, BW, C1, MV and ZR
  8. Press 'Enter' while your cursor is in the ZR input
  9. Open the GunList again
  10. Select the newly created gun profile
  11. Click "Save Gun"

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

AB_338_Ball represents Sierra, 0.388 cal, 300gr, HPBT MatchKing

Using a ballistic coefficient (C1 in the ATrag) of 0.760 will get you pretty close.

Version 2.2 Changelog:

-Fixed a minor bug in the muzzle velocity calculation (sometimes caused RPT errors)

-Refined and expanded the ammo config (added .303 British, Mk318 and Russian M43)

-Userconfig setting AB_VEHICLE_GUNNER_ENABLED is now true by default

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

Players who use Trixie's weapon packs might be interested in the following pack of config data.

Trixie.zip

The config.bin files contained in this pack can be used to replace the original ones in Trixie's weapon packs. You can use PBO Manager to do that.

Or - if you don't mind the big files - just download the whole (modified) packs:

@trixie_britishweapons

@trixie_recon

@trixie_rifles

@trixie_xm8

Does this mean you've fixed the few config issues that didn't allow some of the ammo to load into some of the weapons as well?

I tried to make sure that everything works like you would expect, but I did not pay particular attention to the issue you mentioned. The modified packs however, require AdvancedBallistics or it will not work.

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

I will pay attention to the weapon <-> magazine dependencies when I update Trixie's configs the next time.

I will pay attention to the weapon <-> magazine dependencies when I update Trixie's configs the next time.

would you kindly also include the LEA config for Trixie's weapons as well? coz it'd be lotta easier for us to use Trixie's if we got the LEA config :)

please bro, i beg you, i always wanna try Trixie's but can't do without LEA (yes i'm too spoiled lol XD)....

or is there any of you guys having a LEA config of Trixie's and kind enough to share it with me? please, it'd be delightful :)

Edited by vekongmaster

@vekongmaster, did you try using the virtual arsenal feature that comes with LEA?

"Apply loadout" -> VA

@vekongmaster, did you try using the virtual arsenal feature that comes with LEA?

"Apply loadout" -> VA

nope, i'm not familiar with the VA :'( i know this is kinda offtopic but could you kindly explain me how to use it? please, i'd really really appreciate it...

Edited by vekongmaster

I have just created a ballistics table for the .408 CheyTac / CheyTac Intervention combination:

.408 CheyTac - scribd - docdroid - zippyshare

(mind the reference barometric pressure (station pressure) of 1013.25 hPA)

This was done by combining output data from JBM Ballistics with an xls template from TiborasaurusRex.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

nope, i'm not familiar with the VA :'( i know this is kinda offtopic but could you kindly explain me how to use it? please, i'd really really appreciate it...
I don't know much about it either, but you will find some basic information here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arsenal

It looks like this, once you opened it:

arma3_2014_10_07_17_2x4jwo.png

Edited by Ruthberg