ruthberg

Advanced Ballistics (WIP)

This is awesome man, thanks so much for getting that added before you had to take off for a couple of weeks. So I'm guessing the 'drag model' portion denotes either G1 or G7 being 1 and 7 respectively? And then the barrel lengths section denotes with barrel lengths will fire that particular bullet configuration? Just wanting to make sure. From what I can tell the 24 inch barrel for 7.62 shoots the the M80 ball equivalent. At least that seemed to match up with by shooter app pretty darn well when I used that data for the M14 equivalent in game.

As long as I'm not just making that up it might be best to pretend the M14 is a 20 or 26 inch barrel just to get it to fire the m118lr ammo. Otherwise its rather inaccurate vs what it should be. Where are you getting your ammo statistics from? I'm just curious cause I see things like 146 grain vs 147 for m80 ball, and 410 grain vs 419 grain for the cheytac. Unless of course these are legitimate different rounds that I don't recognize. (Do I need to bust open the PBO to find the config files so I can tweak for my own use? Sorry, I just have no idea where these text files are. >_< ) I can start compiling a list of the bullets from Bryan Litz's g7 list for the common ones. And even start figuring out which bullets you'd need for some of the big weapon addons. I can understand of course if you want me to shove off and let you do it. :p

But regardless of all that, so much awesomeness. Thanks a million for your work. Even without any further changes you've just pushed Arma into the sim range for long range shooting. And for that I applaud you. :notworthy:

Edit: Found the mission, being used.

Regards,

BakaEngel

Edited by BakaEngel

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

So I'm guessing the 'drag model' portion denotes either G1 or G7 being 1 and 7 respectively?
Yes.
And then the barrel lengths section denotes with barrel lengths will fire that particular bullet configuration?
No. The muzzle velocities / barrel lengths section tells the engine how the muzzle velocity varies with the barrel length.

In Arma every weapon accepts arbitrary amounts of magazine types and every magazine contains exactly one type of ammunition. My addon does not change this behaviour.

Where are you getting your ammo statistics from? I'm just curious cause I see things like 146 grain vs 147 for m80 ball, and 410 grain vs 419 grain for the cheytac.
Mainly from the TM43-0001-27 manual and from the JBM ballistics website.
(Do I need to bust open the PBO to find the config files so I can tweak for my own use? Sorry, I just have no idea where these text files are. >_< )
Yes. You need to modify the PBO (PBO Manager) in order to tweak those configs.
I can start compiling a list of the bullets from Bryan Litz's g7 list for the common ones. And even start figuring out which bullets you'd need for some of the big weapon addons.
That would help me a lot.

hey Ruthberg, nice mod

i know you're not planning to port this mod to Arma 2 :cry2:

but is there any possibility for Arma 2 engine to simulate dynamic atmospheric condition & real air drag?

is Arma 2 engine capable of doing what your mod does?

if so, would you kindly share the knowledge on making this?

please bro, some Arma 2 modders are willing to implement this into Arma 2...

Just updating before my class starts. So for now I'm collecting data for the following,

9mm, 40 cal, 45 cal, 50AE, 223, 556, 762Nato, 762Russian, 762 Russian Rimmed, 300WM, 338L, 30-06, 9.3x62 CZ, 50 NATO, 50 Russian, 416 Barrett, 6.5Grendel (To represent the caseless), 6.5x55 and 6mmBR (maybe we can get some 270's, 7mm, etc and make a bench rest comp. :P )

@Ruthberg & BakaEngel:

here's a list of Projectiles with their G7 BC (got it from Litz's book)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdf6ak1xk9udv2k/All%20Bullets%20BALLISTIC%20COEFFICIENT%20Data%20Base.pdf?dl=0

here's one of my excel ballistics solvers with a huge Projectile Database containing +2100 bullets

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4fcp0ecpbuo6ho/Ballistics_v3.0.7.xls?dl=0

here's a list of Barrel Twist of all rifles

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wory7lf09t3x74w/RIFLE%20TWIST%20Table.pdf?dl=0

you're welcome guys ^_^

Edited by vekongmaster

Thanks a lot man. That'll help a lot after I've compiled a list of the ammo used. Many of these rounds are in use in the military so I'm trying to match that up. Ie: Mk262 for the SPR type rifles, M80 ball, M118LR, etc. (As opposed to giving everything the best BC option out there.) Some of the rifles in game that aren't based in reality need to have an arbitrary barrel twist assigned to them, but I'm sure our esteemed leader can pick something good. But for the most part I'd like everything to be accurate. (Now if only I had a ton more 3D modelling skills and I'd start making some benchrest/varmint rifles. XD )

In addition the above I figured I should get the .300AAC/BLK and .303 British round. I'm trying to get everything we had in base Arma 2/OA since those have already been ported and anything else that is common in weapon addons. If there's any other calibers that I missed please post it. :)

I've already got solid data on all the 5.56, 7.62Nato, .338, .408, .416, etc. Basically for all the common calibers I have good data on which ammo is used in the military for the rifle, and thus which bullet. For some of the less common or civilian ammo (or just no longer used by the military) we'll just have to figure out a solid choice or pick a 'surplus' round that could be theoretically common. Compiling a list of barrel twist rates is gonna be a bit more difficult beyond the vanilla Arma 3 weaponry. There are so many addons that have a rifle with the same caliber that run different twist rates, particularly between different countries.

It'd be nice if some of the weapon addon makers were interested in this and could give use a more definite list to work with but really I don't care at this point. I've been wanting this exact mod for so long anything I can do to make it better is good enough for me. (I just hope I don't start annoying Ruthberg. XD )

Aight I gotta eat lunch and head back to class. Yay...

Baka

Hi, Ruthberg; Outstanding achievement with this mod; Kudos. I´m using it and it works excellent. Thanks a lot for your effort!

Just for our technical curiosity enjoyment, ¿would you mind to introduce a short explanation about how do you make this conversión from the real life BC tables to the Arma AirFriction value for calculating the retardation? I´m fond about physics, formulae, and external ballistics, but I haven´t a clue about programming..(My english is neither perfect :o )

I suppose you have in your mod the G1 and G7 tables arranged for velocity values, you read in each time interval the current velocity, then search for the proper G value, apply the BC coefficient to have the real drag, then convert this value to a suitable ArmA airFriction and let the engine calculate the retardation; This is repeated for the next time step . ¿Is it so?

Awesome mod Thanks for your work.. but of course there is another reason im posting.

when i launch your mod with the latest version i get a pop up error " no entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556X45_B_MK262.model' and this is spammed in my rpt

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.model'.

Warning Message: '/' is not a value

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.simulation'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.cost'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hit'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.indirectHit'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.indirectHitRange'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.underwaterHitRangeCoef'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.explosionForceCoef'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.maxControlRange'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.maneuvrability'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.trackOversteer'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.trackLead'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.thrust'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.thrustTime'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.initTime'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.explosionTime'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.fuseDistance'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.maxSpeed'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.sideAirFriction'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.simulationStep'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.typicalSpeed'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.visibleFire'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.audibleFire'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.visibleFireTime'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.irLock'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.laserLock'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.nvLock'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.artilleryLock'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.manualControl'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.explosive'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.caliber'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.deflecting'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.lockSeekRadius'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.weaponLockSystem'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.cmImmunity'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.lockType'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.airLock'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.directionalExplosion'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.explosionAngle'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.minimumSafeZone'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.explosionEffects'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.craterEffects'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.craterWaterEffects'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.HitEffects'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.effectsMissile'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.effectsSmoke'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.effectFlare'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.effectFly'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.mineJumpEffects'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.timeToLive'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.minTimeToLive'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.submunitionAmmo'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitGroundSoft'.

Warning Message: Size: '/' not an array

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitGroundHard'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitMan'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitArmor'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitIron'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitBuilding'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitFoliage'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitWood'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitGlass'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitGlassArmored'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitPlastic'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitConcrete'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitRubber'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitMetalplate'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitMetal'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitWater'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.hitDefault'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactGroundSoft'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactGroundHard'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactMan'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactArmor'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactIron'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactBuilding'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactFoliage'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactWood'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactGlass'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactGlassArmored'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactPlastic'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactConcrete'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactRubber'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactMetalplate'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactMetal'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactWater'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.impactDefault'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.grenadeFireSound'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.grenadeBurningSound'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.explosionSoundEffect'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.soundFly'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.soundEngine'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.supersonicCrackNear'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.supersonicCrackFar'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.soundFakeFall'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.tracerColor'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.tracerColorR'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.explosionType'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.simulation'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.icon'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.whistleDist'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgAmmo/RH_556x45_B_Mk262.whistleOnFire'.

can you set it up so that if it doesnt detect that class/name of mod or weapon it will not initiate/execute any scripts? maybe not in the cfg though ... so i donno just wondering.

and the second error :

Error in expression <ity select _month) / 100;

AB_Humidity = AB_Humidity + AB_humidityShift;

if (rai>

Error position: <AB_Humidity + AB_humidityShift;

if (rai>

Error Undefined variable in expression: ab_humidity

File advancedballistics\fnc_climate_simulation.sqf, line 109

when ever using a map outside the @A3MP. like @MCN_Hazarkot, @Sangin_A3_public, @thirsk.. any map other then default arma 2 ones. I went in an added some maps i frequent and still got the error. any who Thanks for the mod

Version 1.7 Changelog:

-Improved air density calculation (ICAO and ASM atmosphere models are now correctly implemented)

-Fixed AB_dragModel config entry not being read from the config file

-Temperature, Pressure and Humidity synchronization no longer requires the server to run the addon

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Version 1.8 Changelog:

-Fixed server initialization not being excecuted

-Fixed bullet trajectories not being coincident on every client (when the scope turret adjustments were used)

when ever using a map outside the @A3MP. like @MCN_Hazarkot, @Sangin_A3_public, @thirsk.. any map other then default arma 2 ones. I went in an added some maps i frequent and still got the error. any who Thanks for the mod
I can not reproduce this bug. Are you using version 1.6 or newer? Can you describe what you do until you get this error?

but is there any possibility for Arma 2 engine to simulate dynamic atmospheric condition & real air drag?

is Arma 2 engine capable of doing what your mod does?

You can do the same with ArmA 2, but performance will be worse.
Just for our technical curiosity enjoyment, ¿would you mind to introduce a short explanation about how do you make this conversión from the real life BC tables to the Arma AirFriction value for calculating the retardation? I´m fond about physics, formulae, and external ballistics, but I haven´t a clue about programming..(My english is neither perfect :o )

I suppose you have in your mod the G1 and G7 tables arranged for velocity values, you read in each time interval the current velocity, then search for the proper G value, apply the BC coefficient to have the real drag, then convert this value to a suitable ArmA airFriction and let the engine calculate the retardation; This is repeated for the next time step . ¿Is it so?

Almost exactly like that. But you can only manipulate the velocity vector of the projectile, not the airFriction value.

I see...so, it is an entirely alternative cycle that overrides AirFriction; or maybe you apply the "+/- supplementary" amount of friction after the ArmA engine AirFriction cycle has been completed.

Whatever it is, I have to say once more that is an amazing addon this one that you have here....:D.

I undo the retardation that the core engine applies and then add my own:

[color="#B22222"]_dragRef = _deltaT * _airFrictionRef * _bulletSpeed * _bulletSpeed;
_accelRef = (vectorNormalized _bulletVelocity) vectorMultiply (_dragRef);
_bulletVelocity = _bulletVelocity vectorDiff _accelRef;[/color]

[color="#006400"]_drag = _deltaT * ([_dragModel, _ballisticCoefficient, _trueSpeed] call AB_calculateRetardation);
_accel = (vectorNormalized _trueVelocity) vectorMultiply (_drag);
_bulletVelocity = _bulletVelocity vectorDiff _accel;[/color]

Version 1.9 Changelog:

-Refined the ammo class configs

-Fixed some minor flaws in the ammo class configs

Edited by Ruthberg

Ruthberg, skimming your code I found that you set the lattitude and longitude manually. You can also read it from the map config using

_latitude =getNumber(configFile >> "CfgWorlds" >> worldName >> "latitude");
_longitude =getNumber(configFile >> "CfgWorlds" >> worldName >> "longitude");

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:56 ----------

Sorry for double post but on side note for the bullet trace. You bound it to only work with "Binocular", "Rangefinder" and "Laserdesignator" in particular and not with any inheriting subclass. To make it compatible with other mods I suggest you use iskindof.

- How should I use parallax adjustment? I see no difference while adjusting that from 300 to infinity.

- Does bullet shock cone effect depend on pressure or temperature? its visible only sometimes...

- How does mirage looks like, I'm might be mistaking that with graphical glitches?

Awesome mod btw ;)

Edited by nsnipe
haven't slept too long...

The bullet shock cone is only visible for supersonic speed and if you look through a binocular or laserdesignator.