ruthberg

Advanced Ballistics (WIP)

At the moment there is a simple white list with all the class names of compatible scopes. But I will search for a better solution. A better graphical/audible feedback for clicking the turret is on the TODO list as well.

is this something we could edit ourselves, till you come up with another solution?

Just a thought but it could be really cool to see you allow each feature to be enabled or disabled so that during training you could see exactly what each thing did and maybe help give a better understanding of how everything works together. Plus I just think it'd be interesting! :)

Great mod. Can't wait to use it!

Can this be used with ballistic mods that up the damage of 5.56 and 7.62 rounds or does this mod adjust that as well?

The wind seems a little nuts, I have never shot long distances in real life but the wind seems to change with every shot. This makes it difficult to adjust for as by the time you make your turret adjustments the wind has already changed.

Regarding the Kestrel: Headwind and Crosswind will always be relative to the direction you are facing, correct? But how do you know which direction it is blowing I.E. east to west or west to east, etc? Also what is the smaller readout on those sections that reads something like 0.5 @ 40?

Using the vanilla zeroing is definitely broken, I don't know if it was the weapon or the scope I was using but I was shooting at a 1000m target with a zero of 2300 meters and landing extremely short. I should be flying way over the target. Is this intentional? If you leave the vanilla zero alone and dial it in using the turrets then the accuracy is fine with no wind.

Also have you thought about range cards? Arma 2 ace had them with suggested mils in 100m increments with a wind of 4 m/s. There was also a second mod that allowed you to create your own cards in game for rounds that weren't supported by ACE, and I liked that one a lot. It would be nice to have your own range book that you can leave notes and adjustments on like real snipers have.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Just a thought but it could be really cool to see you allow each feature to be enabled or disabled so that during training you could see exactly what each thing did and maybe help give a better understanding of how everything works together.

You can enable/disable everything separately in the userconfig file (...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\Userconfig\advancedballistics\advancedballistics_config.hpp).

Great mod. Can't wait to use it!

Can this be used with ballistic mods that up the damage of 5.56 and 7.62 rounds or does this mod adjust that as well?

This mod only changes the flight path of the bullet. It can be combined with other mods that add new rounds or modify existing ones.

The wind seems a little nuts, I have never shot long distances in real life but the wind seems to change with every shot. This makes it difficult to adjust for as by the time you make your turret adjustments the wind has already changed.

Until now (version 0.2) this mod is based on the official wind system. It is entirely up to the mission maker to decide how the wind should be. You can set a new wind value with setWind.

I would also recommend not to dial in any wind corrections, but to hold off instead. Just dial in corrections for spin- and coriolis drift.

Regarding the Kestrel: Headwind and Crosswind will always be relative to the direction you are facing, correct? But how do you know which direction it is blowing I.E. east to west or west to east, etc? Also what is the smaller readout on those sections that reads something like 0.5 @ 40?

The Kestrel is supposed to work like the real one. Official manual: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0084/9012/t/1/assets/K4500_Instruction_Manual_English.pdf.

I will gradually improve it so we get as close as possible to the real one.

Head- and crosswind are relative to your reference heading. You can set it by clicking the center button while you look at your target. Then you turn into the wind and read the crosswind value. "0.5 @ 40" means the kestrel reads a wind speed of 0.5 m/s blowing from 40°.

I will add a shift+k wind info similar to the one we had in Arma 2 ACE. For now you can use VTS Simple weapon resting.

Using the vanilla zeroing is definitely broken, I don't know if it was the weapon or the scope I was using but I was shooting at a 1000m target with a zero of 2300 meters and landing extremely short. I should be flying way over the target. Is this intentional? If you leave the vanilla zero alone and dial it in using the turrets then the accuracy is fine with no wind.

Like in real world, the zeroing will only be spot on in "standard" conditions. For this addon the standard conditions are:

Temperature: 15 °C (59 °F)

Humidity: 0 %

Pressure: 1013.25 hPA (29.92 inMg)

Also have you thought about range cards? Arma 2 ace had them with suggested mils in 100m increments with a wind of 4 m/s. There was also a second mod that allowed you to create your own cards in game for rounds that weren't supported by ACE, and I liked that one a lot. It would be nice to have your own range book that you can leave notes and adjustments on like real snipers have.

This is on the TODO list. I need to do some research about how to implement a range book like you suggested. I would love to have that. In case that does not work I will stick with range cards like we had in Arma 2 ACE. For now you can use this: http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi to get a feeling for it.

Edited by Ruthberg

I think I found a nasty bug. It's a gamebreaker becouse the projectile (in this case it's 6.5mm) does not travel further than about 20-30 meters.

Here's a screenshot with an error which must be related I guess:

http://i57.tinypic.com/5apb86.jpg (139 kB)

Turns out this may have been my own fault. I had an old version of CBA. After updating the issue went away.

Thanks for letting me know Brisse.

is this something we could edit ourselves, till you come up with another solution?

You would have to unpack the .pbo, edit line 6 in fnc_adjust_turrest.sqf and line 7 in fnc_apply_turret_adjustments.sqf and repack it. Should work with pbomanager.

It will work with every sniper optic in the next version.

Edit: It works with every high power scope since version 0.3

Edited by Ruthberg

Error: "Include file userconfig\advancedballistics\advancedballistics_config.hpp not found"

BTW: same error comes up for the Kestrel 4500 you've made.

I'm using CBA 1.0.8.140725 (latest CBA according to PlaySix)

You need to copy the userconfig folder provided in the zip archive to "...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\".

hi,

sorry for hijack this thread for answering my question.

is it regardless if the userconfig-folder for ar mod in \steamlibrary\steamapps\common\arma 3\userconfig\...

has a subfolder or not?

which one is right:

...\arma 3\userconfig\advancedballistics\advancedballistics\advancedballistics_config.hpp

...\arma 3\userconfig\advancedballistics\advancedballistics_config.hpp

or does it work in both ways?

thnx

Like in real world, the zeroing will only be spot on in "standard" conditions. For this addon the standard conditions are:

Temperature: 15 °C (59 °F)

Humidity: 0 %

Pressure: 1013.25 hPA (29.92 inMg)

I will try to get some videos of what I mean, something doesn't seem right because even with wind set to 0 my rounds are all over the place and are not consistently off like you would expect with spin drift or the coriolis effect. (was also shooting facing almost north so coriolis should be minimal no?)

One round can be dead accurate and the next will by high left, and the next low right, and the next one high top, and the next one almost center. I was shooting a .50 cal at 1000m with no wind but other weapons do the same thing.

Also, is it intentional that you can't use the BI zeroing and then use the turrets to adjust? I tried doing that but almost every shot fell way short unless I left the default zeroing alone and just used the turret to increase elevation.

How will this mod effect ammunition not specific to BIS. Like Spartans ballistic values (which weapon modders add special magazines using his ballistic values, IE: HLC,RH,etc)

Are you using version 0.3?

I updated this morning. I think VQI's wind deflection was interfering because after turning it off my shots don't go as wide when they miss now and hit relatively consistently.

The one thing that would be nice is if it was possible to see the vapor trail of your shots or some kind of tracer you can see in the day because sometimes it's impossible to figure out where your round has hit, but that's more of a BI thing.

@jakeryan760, it works just fine with 3rd party ammunition. For now the addon only reads the muzzle velocity and airFriction value from the config. Later it will also try to read the Stability Factor and information about the muzzle velocity variance due to ammo temperature changes.

@ghostnineone, I will try to add vapor trails and mirage, if I can come up with a good way to visualize them.

Hi Ruthberg,

this looks like a very cool mod, since the vanilla ballistics aren't that challenging.

One thing that you might want to add (if you didn't) would be different parameters for tracer and no tracer ammo. As far as I know they have different weights in real life, which would result in different flight paths and damage values.

Vapour traces would be an awesome addition, if that is possible. You may want to work with the heat haze effect that you can see on the exhausts of Arma 3's aircrafts and ground vehicles.

Hope to see you back on the TF47 servers, maybe with your mod on the upcoming Arma 3 server ;)

Hello. We have tested this addon on our dedicated server, and I must say some things about it.

First of all you did great job, bullets dispersion is just awesome to watch.

Second, this addon makes frames drop A LOT. I have grab an M240 and started shooting at skies, frames went from 60 to 10. I think it is caused by all these calculations etc. It's just not applicable for high fire rate guns.

Third and last, effects of this addon are not visible for other players. What I mean is bullets are just not synchronized between players. You see effects only when you shoot, others bullets just drop normally. I don't know if this is even possible to synchronize bullets, that would cause a lot of lag when in big firefights. That is something that should be inside engine to be good.

Anyway, congratulations for making it that great ;).

Nice work. :)

About the above, it should be possible to sync all effect and also get away form the peformance lag. We had these mods in all titles up to A3 and they worked fine. Maybe in A3 BIS changed things around. Like with wind for example. That mission makers have to add wind by hand which is weird. Never had to do that in previous titles. Pop a mod in that had wind grabbing the bullets and it worked in any mission/editor. Now you have to define wind in each mission or the wind will be from 1 angle all the time or completely "bugged out". That BIS did this make these mods a gamble when grabbing new missions. You just dont know if the mission maker added wind or not. Hope a fix comes with the marksman DLC. The wind command can still be used even if wind is "on" from start.

Regarding performance issues again, i hope it can be adressed. A3 AI has major impact on my cpu so if this drags it down even more then i wont be able to use it during fire fights.

Anyway, this and better/harder penetration of soldiers is exactly what we need. Simplistic ballistics and having to spend half a mag to take an AI down kills the immersion. ;)

Thanks.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

This looks absolutely great!

Just an idea: have you considered collaborating with the guys from the AGM mod?

Keep up the good work!

I will address the performance issue in the next version. And think about a proper way to synchronize the bullet flight path between players who use this addon.

In the latest AGM changelog:

Realistic ballistics including wind and humidity

Did you collaborate with them Ruthberg, or did they come up with their own code? How is this going to affect compatibility between your mod and AGM? Is there any point in running both at the same time?