Drongo's Command Enhancement

Version 021 released

UH1R8mS.png

DCE greatly enhances control over your AI squadmates and lets you take command of large-scale combined ops, letting you switch to any unit at any time.

DCE delivers a huge array of vital enhancements to Arma 3 battles in SP or MP:

• Streamlined and expanded squad control
  • Command large scale combined-arms operations (platoon, company or even battalion)
  • Detailed information sharing (contact reports, map-markers for enemy and friendly units, casualty reports)
  • Many vital quality of life features

Squad dialog:
mXoGCsn.jpg

Command dialog:
kyt8BKk.jpg

Version 21 trailer:

Overview:

Squad Engine
If you're reading this, you've probably at one point been tempted to headbutt your monitor in rage at your insubordinate AI or the cumbersome vanilla command menu ("F5, F6,0,0,7, argh I'm dead!"). With a single intuitive click DCE lets you control:

• formation
  • stance
  • behaviour
  • combat mode
  • and more

DCE also expands control of your squad with commands such as:

• quick-posture (Contact!, Patrol, etc)
  • deploy/undeploy statics
  • garrison structure
  • heal self/others
  • dismount cargo only
  • eject all
  • all/dismounts only/vehicles only halt/follow
  • and more

Command Engine
DCE seamlessly brings all the elements on the Arma 3 battlefield together for that only-in-Arma combined arms experience. Command your tank platoons forward, order your infantry to secure buildings, call in gunships for search and destroy missions, insert your spec ops with via helo. Play Arma 3 as a real-time tactics wargame with a first person option. Control AI groups with single-click orders controlling:

• waypoints (add, change type, delete, etc)
  • mount/dismount vehicles
  • crew/decrew vehicles
  • formation
  • combat mode
  • behaviour
  • speed
  • altitude
  • landing (helos only)
  • deploy statics
  • formation direction
  • searching
  • garrisoning
  • and more

Take control of any unit on your side to get into the action yourself.

InfoShare
Maintain situational awareness with friendly chatter and reports:

• Contact reports (reporting enemy composition, size and position)
  • Map markers for friendly elements
  • Map markers for spotted enemy elements
  • Casualty reports

Quality Of Life
We've all been there. You're engrossed in the thrill of capturing that a bitterly-contested town when suddenly a "friendly" APC rear-ends your tank and now your MBT is sitting in the middle of the vital crossroads on its roof. A quick dash of DCE magic sees everything put right. Other blood-pressure reducing features include:

• Teleport (great for when AI groups just don't want to move)
  • Dynamic view distance settings
  • Enable/disable Dynamic Simulation at any time
  • Clean up dead vehicles
  • Animation fixer
  • FPS counter
  • and more

DCE also offers 14 function keys which can be assigned to any script by mission makers. This is extremely useful when testing or when you want to make a custom mission but don't want the hassle of writing a dialog from scratch.

Using in game
To bring up the menu, hit your DCE key ("Window App" by default, change under CONFIGURE > CONTROLS > CONFIGURE ADDONS in mission). Most of the buttons and functions are self-explanatory or can be learned by playing around in the editor for a few minutes.

Known Bugs

• Not a bug, but a limitation: Only a single group at a time can be given dialog orders (in HC you can select multiple groups and give orders)
  • Using the Switch button from the Command menu seems to disable the AI of the unit switched to

Future Plans

• Make units report when they are under fire with no casualties
  • Scripted modules for quickly setting up company-scaled combined arms missions with objectives, end-game conditions and automatically generated enemy forces

Permissions

• You may not adapt the dialogs for your own usage.
  • The rights of any 3rd party scripts used in this work belong with the owner. I do not and have never claimed ownership over the work of other people. All 3rd party scripts are used in good faith.
  • You may NOT reverse-engineer this addon for your personal use without my written permission.
  • You may NOT publicly distribute altered versions of this system without my written permission.
  • You may NOT use this system or any derivatives thereof in any way for monetary gain.
  • You may NOT use this system or derivatives thereof as part of any submission to any contest of any kind.

Credits
Thank you very much to SaMara and Tonic-_- for allowing me to use their dialog code in earlier releases.
Drongo69: concept and coding.
Chops:  testing and input.
RootLocus: testing DT for OFP.
Sanctuary: help with DT for OFP.
Macser: help with DT for OFP.
Vektorboson: help with DT for OFP.
Grumpy Old Man: for letting me use his code for spotting and reporting units.
Kenoxite: icons idea, some icons
BIS: some functions

Requires CBA

Download version 21 (~402 KB)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Drongo,

Fantastic to see this released and I can't wait to give it a whirl when I get back from holiday (why is it always the case the stuff your itching to test comes out when you're nowhere near your computer)?! Also delighted to see that you got Grumpy Old Mans spotting and Reporting code in there, should make SITREPs that little bit more involved.

Thanks for the mirror Foxhound.

The reporting is not as detailed as Grumpy Old Man's system, it doesn't report the number of men and vehicles in the group. This may change in a future version. It does however give the coordinates and info such as "in the open", "near a building" etc. I haven't played a long mission with this yet, so I'd be interested to see if it becomes as laggy as DT, feedback appreciated.

Error in expression <_ln","_i"];

_str = "";

_arr = [];

_la 0;

_old = "";

_new = "";

_na = [];

_lo =>

Error position: <0;

_old = "";

_new = "";

_na = [];

_lo =>

Error Missing ;

File DCE\Scripts\Core\Functions\KRON_Strings.sqf, line 182

Error in expression <_ln","_i"];

_str = "";

_arr = [];

_la 0;

_old = "";

_new = "";

_na = [];

_lo =>

Error position: <0;

_old = "";

_new = "";

_na = [];

_lo =>

Error Missing ;

File DCE\Scripts\Core\Functions\KRON_Strings.sqf, line 182

Warning Message: Script DCE\Scripts\Command\Waypoints\MapClickEditPos.sqf not found

---

the key is still windows even though i already changed it to tab

Edited by xrook

First post updated with version 011. Changes:

• Added air units to spottable enemy units in DCE\Scripts\Command\Reporting\Spot.sqf
  • Fixed a bug that disallowed changing dceKey preference
  • Removed the reference to obsolete script DCE\Scripts\Command\Waypoints\MapClickEditPos.sqf

I'm not sure that I even need Kronzky's script anymore, when I have time I'll do some proper testing.

massive spam of

Error Undefined variable in expression: _gear

File DCE\Scripts\Command\CommsClient.sqf, line 12

Error in expression <ssignedItems player;

if ("ItemRadio" in _gear) then {_hasRadio = true};

if ((sid>

Error position: <_gear) then {_hasRadio = true};

if ((sid>

if ((sid>

if ((sid>

if ((sid>

if ((sid>

---

same issue as before, the menu wont open anymore when loading a saved game

---

trying to let my medic heal me

_man = _this select 0;

if (isNull _man) exitWith {hint "No unit selected"}>

Error position: <_man) exitWith {hint "No unit selected"}>

Error Undefined variable in expression: _man

No speaker given for Hasan Hoxha

Cannot load sound 'a3\ui_f\data\sound\new1.wss'

Cannot load sound 'a3\ui_f\data\sound\onclick.wss'

---

issue with x38's map markers and your mod

after alt-tabbing to go to the forums i cant Alt-left click on my map anymore to open up the map markers menu, the issue disappeared after deactivating your mod

(the hotkey to open up your menu is at windows at that time)

Edited by xrook

I know this is working via a module, but could you have it auto start as a full addon? Otherwise we have to go into a mission and add it in ourselves. Possible?

@xrook

Thanks for the error reports. I have fixed the CommsClient and heal errors. I'll give it a few more days for other error reports so that I am not spamming updates. I haven't looked into the savegame problem (it is low priority for me personally), but if anyone has ideas on how to fix it, please let me know. The map markers thing might be due to another mod using onMapSingleClick commands. The only thing I can think of is logging off the command menu, or going back to squad, then command again. That may help.

@Kremator

I intentionally made the command aspect require a module to prevent possible cheating or griefing. To change this, de-PBO the mod and look at DCE\Scripts\Start.sqf. Find the line dceEnableCommand and set it to true. Then pbo it and command will work every time with no module.

Cool mate ... thanks for the info. I understand your reasons for not auto-enabling.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

Thank you for the release.Have been waiting patiently for this.

Will exhaust it tonight.

New update v0.1.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@dce.png

@ Drongo69;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

BI could learn a thing or two from you Drongo ;)

BI could learn a thing or two from you Drongo ;)

Agreed,Just tried it out.

Very streamlined update,thanks again.

This is really good stuff. I play single player and I like the idea of using this to control my units without the units actually being in my squad. Great to be able to call a chopper, have him take us wherever and then send him away. I was wondering if there is a way to set waypoints and commands for members within the squad, not just the squad leader? And also, will you be able to say not only set waypoints but to order commands such as attack? Thanks again man and either way I am glad I tried this one.

Thanks for the kind words fellas, I appreciate it.

@Kremator

I hadn't seen Zapat's work before, his system and mine should complement each other very well.

@Dav

As Kremator mentioned, Zapat's Black Rain Project may be what you are looking for.

I'm currently working on a simple air support system (similar to my DAS addon for OFP). After that I want to make a dynamic campaign based on my Random Displacements system where you lead your platoon or company across the map over several missions, with your victories and defeats contributing to an abstracted operational momentum. Losses causing delay or defence missions, victories leading to advance and assault missions. Kind of a combination of M1 Tank Platoon and Steel Panthers (am I showing my age here?).

Had time to try this mod tonight, its brilliant. The way I am using it is by:

My player being the commander on the map, I then have an 8 man squad all set to playable. I then place down whatever vehicles I like either armoured, transport, or CAS. I absolutely love this mod, I love having control of my vehicles without having to play as them, thank you so much, adds a whole other depth of gameplay and strategy for a single player buff like me. If my men need transport, I send it in, if they are getting wiped out I call in the CAS, thank you man, simply amazing. Well worth putting the time into the interface.

Drongo,

are the map icons for friendlys supposed to be visible before you press "command" ?

Also,is there any way for certain groups from your side,to not be registered on the DCE?

@redarmy

No, the group marker behaviour is entirely handled by BIS High Command. The HC bar is activated when the Command dialog is opened and that is what allows the markers to be seen.

Also,is there any way for certain groups from your side,to not be registered on the DCE?
I can add this in the next version.

@Dav

Happy to hear you like it so much, I've put a lot of work into this.

@redarmy

No, the group marker behaviour is entirely handled by BIS High Command. The HC bar is activated when the Command dialog is opened and that is what allows the markers to be seen.

I can add this in the next version.

@Dav

Happy to hear you like it so much, I've put a lot of work into this.

Cheers drongo,

that would be a good feature as many groups arent n always needed and just clutter the interface.

Also,i mentioned the group marker because sometimes groups do infact show on my map,but not always.Could have been a mod conflict such as mcc maybe,il try narrow it down.

Drongo,since last update from drongos toolkit,i noticed mounting units onto non same faction veihicles works well now.In fact it never did work with DT.

Possibly just on my end.

I have another suggestion if you ears...

When looking at the group tab and all the group names,would it be possible that a double click on a group call sign,could send your map cursor position to that unit?,in much the same way as double clicking on task,sets map position to task target if its available.

Also i have a general question regarding high command markers (im not sure if the ones you use are bis defaults as i never used HC b4).Well the reason i didnt is because after looking at the map,and then looking at it again,my HC group markers dissapear,as it does also with your mod installed.Im wondering if this happens to you or anyone who uses this mod.I can still see the white brackets atleast,so i can tell where a unit is,i just dont have details drawn out for that unit without having to look in the scroll menu.

Small issue,was just wondering if its happened to any one.

First post updated with version 012. Changes:

• Fixed a bug with the Heal Other command
  • Added the ability to exclude groups from command (using an array dceExcludedGroups). Note that HC will still show the unit's marker
  • Removed obsolete scripts DCE\Scripts\Command\CommsClient.sqf and \CommsPlayMessage.sqf
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the behaviour and formation of a group displaying in the command menu
  • Unexciting overhaul of group display and selection in the command dialog
  • Went through all of the core scripts to try to fix undefined variables and other misc bugs
  • Various small tweaks and bugfixes

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.