Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

I disagree, I say release it, People will always have something to complain about. If it's only spawned explosions I see no huge deal. Yes people will complain but as you said it's out of your hands. If you don't want to release it then don't. But I honestly believe this is something that should not stop a release as it's a engine limitation that can not be supported until fixed. No need for all of us to suffer to wait for this implementation... who knows how long that would take?

I disagree, I say release it, People will always have something to complain about. If it's only spawned explosions I see no huge deal. Yes people will complain but as you said it's out of your hands. If you don't want to release it then don't. But I honestly believe this is something that should not stop a release as it's a engine limitation that can not be supported until fixed. No need for all of us to suffer to wait for this implementation... who knows how long that would take?

Yeah spawned explosions aren't that big of a deal - even then there's some work arounds (like hijacking the scripts spawning them)

Though I do completely agree with you on this. Ugh, I guess it just comes down to what LJ wants anyways lol.

Might as well release and get bugs and such out of the way while we wither away waiting for engine implementations... ;) but its up to you LJ :) keep up the good work!

Yes, it's up to me and I don't want to release it like this!

On the other hand I don't want to make people regret joining this thread, waiting patiently for this mod, and kinda not keep my not really made promises. It's a weird situation.

Actually, I'll got in contact with BI for a while now, let's see what I can get for informations in a chat with them and then I decide what to do...

LJ

LJ, I suppose the question is; what would you do if BI never implements the changes that you require.. and how long are you willing to wait before taking any sort of action in this regard? I don't think it necessarily is wise to completely depend upon BI to make the specific changes that you require (of course, I could be mistaken and ignorant to a prior announcement or whatever.. if that is the case, disregard this message). I understand the benefits of both releasing before it is complete and waiting till its completion, but I think the circumstance completely changes when the dependency of its release falls onto anyone but yourself. I think you should make decisions under the presumption that the engine implementations you require may never be carried out. Realistically, regardless if the mod is 99% done or 100% done, you are going to get pathetic, arm-chair warrior haters spitting their BS all over your profound work; the fact of the matter is, you've done absolutely amazing work that thousands of guys WILL appreciate regardless of its level of completeness.

I certainly fully support whatever decision you conclude with; just know, you have a massive community behind you on this and we are thrilled for all your hard work.

+1

And it could be a year before BI do what you need them to do LJ.

I wonder how long you could reasonably wait for BI to implement the needed features, if they even do it at all. I hope LJ could come up with a workaround in this case. And while we wait for BI to stop sitting on their hands it could just be called JSRS Dragonfyre v0.9999 JustWaitingForBIToAddAmmoEventHandlers

On the one hand, you could be waiting a year or two years for the event handler to be added, if it ever is; on the other hand, people complaining that your mod is finished but can't be released without this might encourage them to fix it sooner. Perhaps if we all emailed them politely and encourage them, separately from signing the tracker thing...

(I am biased and want it released as we rarely if ever use spawned explosions - no Zeus, no virtual artillery, etc, but totally understand why you'd want to hold off)

If I were on management level at BI I would defo make sure people was working on it. The vanilla game's achilles heel is its sound. And for me sound is 50% or more of the total feeling in a game. So when a group of users is spending so much time on a sound mod which the original game should already have I would make all things possible for it to be good.

JSRS always felt like a true addition to Arma and it'd be shame to see it missing due to Ammo EHs not implemented yet.

I assume BIS has its resources properly distributed for production and their schedule is quite tight to match the deadlines / upcoming plans.

would be nice if your BI contacts gave you a yes/no ETA engine fix which could then help you to decide whether to release now or not.

would be a shame to have a 99% completed project gathering dust for months.

I understand that you want to release a finished mod but again what if it takes months or years before BI implement the feature.

I mean if you feel that you are finished at least 90% I would suggest that you release the mod and in the mean time we can all work as beta testers.

Regardless of your decision you got my support :)

all the hobby dev's should link up and make a3 better.. I cannot play without a soundmod like jsrs, cause the default weapons sound like cheap sewing machines from china.. This game could be so nice.. Also that decrease of server fps after playing for a while, really bad.. I had A3 uninstalled in my steam library and I know why.. Your soundmod cheers me up again dude, just release it and make me happy ;)

I understand that you want to release a finished mod but again what if it takes months or years before BI implement the feature.

I mean if you feel that you are finished at least 90% I would suggest that you release the mod and in the mean time we can all work as beta testers.

Regardless of your decision you got my support :)

Yes that is that what i mean would too, release this baby and when BI finally ready is with this soundproblem then give him the residual ;)

Been talking to Dwarden today, he created an internal ticket about it and I tried to explain the issue to him. He will give me a hint if there is anything happening concerning this ticket. I hope he can give me any kind of info later today.

LJ

Been talking to Dwarden today, he created an internal ticket about it and I tried to explain the issue to him. He will give me a hint if there is anything happening concerning this ticket. I hope he can give me any kind of info later today.

LJ

Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm the type of person that likes seeing features added on a go forward basis. It allows the person to appreciate the changes more. However i do agree putting out a feature that breaks other working (limited) things is annoying. However it sounds like the issue here is that the sound isn't actually disabled, but just not heard unless within damage distance? Still annoying but i don't think a deal breaker. I do hope however that this can be addressed by BI. Anyways can't wait man, been looking forward to this for a long time :)

I'm not that type of person that tries to hurry a project. I can see that some things may take a while. (Its like good wine (I don't drink any alcohol at all but it fits xD))

There are only two mods I'm really hyped about right now: JSRS Dragonfyre and Blastcore Phoenix. (Both seem to be nearly finished >.<)

But in this case I guess - like the majority says it - a release with out the last 1% would be justifiable due to the fact that waiting for BI to implement the highly requested function wouldn't be the best idea. As said by jimbop:

would be a shame to have a 99% completed project gathering dust for months.

Actually it's in BI interest to fix this issue. JSRS Dragonfyre is free advertisement of the game and it will actually make more people buy the game after watching some youtube videos.

So please BI fix this and a lot of people will be thankful.

There's a lot of interesting feedback here... It'd be fine without CFG handelers, but that's not the way it was meant to go. It's meant to be with that feature, but BIS's likleyness to impliment something, and when, is certainly unknown. Hopefully LJ can get some important feedback from BIS themselves. Until then, however...

This is NorthPoint Actual, and we have the Initiative!

Sign the petition, read the info!

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?186460-Petition-to-add-eventhandlers-to-ammunitions-defined-in-cfgAmmo

There's a lot of interesting feedback here... It'd be fine without CFG handelers, but that's not the way it was meant to go. It's meant to be with that feature, but BIS's likleyness to impliment something, and when, is certainly unknown. Hopefully LJ can get some important feedback from BIS themselves. Until then, however...

This is NorthPoint Actual, and we have the Initiative!

Sign the petition, read the info!

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?186460-Petition-to-add-eventhandlers-to-ammunitions-defined-in-cfgAmmo

Sometimes I'm out of words when I see the family-feeling floating through these forums! :o You guys are too kind! :)

LJ

Even if BI decides to implement that feature, there's no telling how long it might take them to do so. I don't know what's involved in releasing a patch for the mod once that feature is added, so I can't say LJ isn't justified in only wanting to do one release, but it just seems like that is nothing compared to sitting around a with a finished mod for a few months waiting for a feature to be added that might not even be added.

I went ahead and signed the petition all the same.