Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

Environmental rain effects, outstanding. Really adds to the atmosphere. I think the only other environmental sound that isnt JSRS quality is wind now. Hats of JSRS Team, another stunning video, showing off your magnificence! Good luck guys.

Here we go:

You can hear new rainsounds based on terrain, new rainsounds on and inside vehicles, new crash sounds and some tweaked helicopter sounds.

Enjoy,

LJ

Those crash sounds (both vehicle and helicopter) are fantastic. Definitely digging it.

Sounds amazing :D

But I think the rainsounds inside the helicopter are a little too loud.

Well I guess having rain fall on a near horizontal glass directly abover your head is loud....

Yeah, but it's not that loud. Even on horizontal plexi and aluminum, it's not that loud.

Small suggestion for the helicopter crash souds. When the rotors fly off the heli turbine should go into very high RPM, not become silent. Can you overlay those new sounds with the high pitch turbine noise you had before? I think that would sound amazing.

I'm really digging what he's got. Something to keep in mind is that, yes, after the rotors depart, it's going to go hi RPM, but only for a very short time and either the overspeed system will engage or the crash will trip the fuel shutoffs, so I can live with the current iteration.

Yes it is, but at the moment I realized that I was already in recording mood and thought about fixing it later. All of that is WIP as always :)

LJ

Of course, but a very good WIP!

Here we go:

4jUJJhD3Yow

You can hear new rainsounds based on terrain, new rainsounds on and inside vehicles, new crash sounds and some tweaked helicopter sounds.

Enjoy,

LJ

YUS! I love you. No homo. :cool:

:butbut: Well done that all is 100x better then stock ARMA! Well done sir I'll be drinking to your progress tonight ;)

Hate to be a critic but I agree that a little high RPM briefly would help complete the effect I think give a little extra, that and I agreed with whoever it was suggesting a little beefier thud on the vehicle collision sounds. The ones you have still sound great though its great progress just trying to help not discourage! I LOVE your work and appreciate your effort into making this.

Edited by PvtDancer

awesome new sounds! agree with the crash sound being too light and rain volume.

looking forward to this big time!

As always, quality work LJH. To add to what was said and give you a little guidance for the road to perfection:

1. Rain effects while in the heli where a tad too loud, they need to have a bit more bass and lowered in volume.

2. Vehicle crashing into walls/tress/bushes: The impact hits against other vehicles and walls sound good, however there needs to be a noise when the walls come down, bushes are run over, and trees knocked over.

3. Heli crashes: It's still lacking some of the additional chaos that ensues when you hit something with your rotors. Engine RPM shoots through the roof due to a loss in torque from the blades (due to no blades), the blade noise also changes (more of a decreasing thud noise). I hate to use youtube references but here are 2 good crashes that illustrate my point:

and

Hehe, no offense guys... but... its always "interesting" what I HAVE to do seeing your posts lol

All I say hehe. No worries, I took your suggestions and criticism in account already and tweaked alot of the stuff.

LJ

Hehe, no offense guys... but... its always "interesting" what I HAVE to do seeing your posts lol

All I say hehe. No worries, I took your suggestions and criticism in account already and tweaked alot of the stuff.

LJ

Great, because the rain drops on the Kajman are too loud. Lol, also, the sound of the rain on the fuselage should be drowned out by the engine and all during flight, or just barley noticeable. Love the addition though.

LJ

Just to let you know LJG, I'm a military aviator and have been in everything from turboprop fighter planes to large cargo planes to several different types of military helicopters. Many of the comments on here are pretty accurate. The other thing I should mention is that from a pilots perspective, the loudest thing I hear is radio/voice communications due to the ear plugs and noise cancelling headphones EVERY pilot (and crewmember) wears. The 2nd loudest thing in any aircraft is the engine, and that drowns out EVERY noise that's not above an explosion. So in short, I fly in South Florida (where it rains a lot) and even under the heaviest storms, I can barely hear the rain hitting the aircraft (unless my hearing protection is off and we're sitting on the tarmac).

BTW, talking about hearing protection...ARMA has aviator headphones that you can wear, I wonder if it's possible for someone who wears them to muffle outside sound?

BTW, talking about hearing protection...ARMA has aviator headphones that you can wear, I wonder if it's possible for someone who wears them to muffle outside sound?

I'm sure it's possible, since there are already several mods released that includes functional earplugs.

I think it's good.

From within the cockpit you hear the bangs and dings, outside you hear the boom. Jarhead, I'm assuming the audio used is going to be dependent on the type of crash?

i.e. a shot down helicopter is going to explode when it hits the ground vs one that just crashes on terrain and the angle/speed at which they hit?

Just to let you know LJG, I'm a military aviator and have been in everything from turboprop fighter planes to large cargo planes to several different types of military helicopters. Many of the comments on here are pretty accurate. The other thing I should mention is that from a pilots perspective, the loudest thing I hear is radio/voice communications due to the ear plugs and noise cancelling headphones EVERY pilot (and crewmember) wears. The 2nd loudest thing in any aircraft is the engine, and that drowns out EVERY noise that's not above an explosion. So in short, I fly in South Florida (where it rains a lot) and even under the heaviest storms, I can barely hear the rain hitting the aircraft (unless my hearing protection is off and we're sitting on the tarmac).

Wow that is a great thought! Not sure if this is in the scope of LJH's quest for worlds most beloved modder... but it would be cool if pilots headphones did just that and all ARMA voip came through like normal while other sounds muffled like in an armored vehicle.... I wouldn't be upset if it didn't happen but it would be cool!

@LJH I'm glad to hear you accept our suggestions\thoughts thanks again for making this mod its coming together great! Now hopefully Nov, 4th's DLC\Platform update doesn't screw you up too much!!! ;)

Wow that is a great thought! Not sure if this is in the scope of LJH's quest for worlds most beloved modder... but it would be cool if pilots headphones did just that and all ARMA voip came through like normal while other sounds muffled like in an armored vehicle.... I wouldn't be upset if it didn't happen but it would be cool!

@LJH I'm glad to hear you accept our suggestions\thoughts thanks again for making this mod its coming together great! Now hopefully Nov, 4th's DLC\Platform update doesn't screw you up too much!!! ;)

Yeah, lets hope about that, but we'll see. Tho, there was no patch so far that made me NOT coming back. :)

Yeah I guess its IS kinda possible, like a few mods does, but in JSRS DFyre I took the "headphone/ear plugs theory" already in account. All sounds for vehicles in first person are at 50% volume. So if you use TS or VOIP or what not you just have to stay in first person in a vehicle and you can understand your friends good enough I guess.

Second good news... well, its was a long day in the office, hehe, LAxxmann and I implemented the Urban script from L_ES into JSRS_DragonFyre. For those of you who does not know what that is: Its basically a script detecting buildings around the shooter and reflects reverbs/echoes from those buildings. Make a firefight in the city much more intense. The first results are really cool and promising. Tho I realized the script is not well detecting ALL buildings, a few are left out and it mostly just works when you get to the core of a city. But more about that later.

From tomorrow till sunday I'm out of business anyways, so I wish you are good week and a happy weekend, guys ;)

Thanks!

LJ

Yeah, lets hope about that, but we'll see. Tho, there was no patch so far that made me NOT coming back. :)

Yeah I guess its IS kinda possible, like a few mods does, but in JSRS DFyre I took the "headphone/ear plugs theory" already in account. All sounds for vehicles in first person are at 50% volume. So if you use TS or VOIP or what not you just have to stay in first person in a vehicle and you can understand your friends good enough I guess.

Second good news... well, its was a long day in the office, hehe, LAxxmann and I implemented the Urban script from L_ES into JSRS_DragonFyre. For those of you who does not know what that is: Its basically a script detecting buildings around the shooter and reflects reverbs/echoes from those buildings. Make a firefight in the city much more intense. The first results are really cool and promising. Tho I realized the script is not well detecting ALL buildings, a few are left out and it mostly just works when you get to the core of a city. But more about that later.

From tomorrow till sunday I'm out of business anyways, so I wish you are good week and a happy weekend, guys ;)

Thanks!

LJ

lol Well that's good!

Nice! makes since kinda seemed like you did but I wasn't very sure, thanks for the clarification.

ANNNNNDDDD That is awesome! Makes me super happy you and Lex teamed up, that just adds a whole new layer to the awesomeness... Have a good trip!!!

...LAxxmann and I implemented the Urban script from L_ES into JSRS_DragonFyre. For those of you who does not know what that is: Its basically a script detecting buildings around the shooter and reflects reverbs/echoes from those buildings. Make a firefight in the city much more intense. The first results are really cool and promising. Tho I realized the script is not well detecting ALL buildings, a few are left out and it mostly just works when you get to the core of a city. But more about that later.

Hmm, I wonder if this will work for vehicle engines and rotor "chopping" sounds? Now that would be intense. Urban helicopter insertion with the sound of the rotors bouncing off the buildings... I'm sure you've already thought about this :P

Second good news... well, its was a long day in the office, hehe, LAxxmann and I implemented the Urban script from L_ES into JSRS_DragonFyre.

Haha, yus, desperately tracking down an error for two hours just to find out that I've been calling the wrong function... yeah, that's fun! :D

Hmm, I wonder if this will work for vehicle engines and rotor "chopping" sounds? Now that would be intense. Urban helicopter insertion with the sound of the rotors bouncing off the buildings... I'm sure you've already thought about this :P

Nope, absolutely not how it works.

But the idea doesn't sound too wrong, I'll check it out sooner or later.

Haha, yus, desperately tracking down an error for two hours just to find out that I've been calling the wrong function... yeah, that's fun! :D

Nope, absolutely not how it works.

But the idea doesn't sound too wrong, I'll check it out sooner or later.

We might have to kinda tweak that script out a notch. Smaller villages wont get any detection at all. Thats kinda sad right now. But I guess we'll getting there eventually ;)

LJ

We might have to kinda tweak that script out a notch. Smaller villages wont get any detection at all. Thats kinda sad right now. But I guess we'll getting there eventually ;)

LJ

I see, I see.

Change the 8 in the house detection stuff to 4 our so, should be fine :)

Ah ok, let me try this then ;)

Hmm, wasn't I on vacation or something? :P

LJ

Heads up: Devbranch implemented sounds for sling loading (both when the cargo is hooked and when it snaps).

Will DFyre also cover this?

Also, a question for posterity: Will Dfyre also cover the new helos added (Huron, Taru and civvie Littlebird)?

Heads up: Devbranch implemented sounds for sling loading (both when the cargo is hooked and when it snaps).

Will DFyre also cover this?

Also, a question for posterity: Will Dfyre also cover the new helos added (Huron, Taru and civvie Littlebird)?

Yes and yes. New helicopters will be covered. The sling sounds are already covered ;)

LJ

Since rain sound sounds has been showcased inside cars, does it mean it will occur inside houses too? ;) Jokes aside great job LJ, keep it up.

Edited by Panimala

Lex... LJ... you guys are killing me! It all sounds so amazing, there is a lot going on for arma right now!!! I agree if its something that could be done having vehicle sounds properly echo and bounce would be pretty great. I'm assuming since you already have layers of sounds for gun fire and explosions at varying ranges, that vehicles will be the same? Because the looming roar of a tank engine stalking or patrolling your AO and you can't see it would be crazy intense lol

Edited by PvtDancer

Are we still on target for releasing it this year? The anticipation is killing me! :D (can you tell i voted to release it unfinished? haha)