Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

Everyone knows though that you can put up very high quality stuff even if you go for the MANW with an earlier/rawer build. I'm not going to hate you if you go for it :D I really like what you've done with the DF.

If you enter the contest you will have a lot of competition with that LOSounds mod LAxemann is working on ;) haha no but seriously I think the contest is not the best idea because of the borrowed sounds :) either way we will support you as best as we can.

You definitely should take part in contest, and I even say more - you should win it, and take main $prize$, imo you deserve it. Because I can't see for now any competition for your mod. Happy holidays! ;

Please, LJ for the love of God; DO NOT release this mod under "unfinished", it will be too good when finished! :\

Something I've notice about mods that wait until their "ready" is that they are almost never released. I come here almost every day just to see if there's any news or word about Dragonfyre. If what you have is anything like those videos, I really don't see what needs so much more tweaking. I'm not the expert though and it's very fine work either way. Happy vacationing!

I use Stereo Headphones, I like more Authentic and real-ish sounds over Hollywood style sounds, as immersion is my rush, and i want it to be as real as possible. These are amazing sounds, and should be apart of the contest, because well, your skilled, and sound is a big part of the game that's been missing for a long time, and is the most popular subject on the feedback tracker, so given that, there is a large margin in which you alone can fill with this mod, and possibly help "Make Arma". I want it now. But i also want it to be perfect. I guess i can't have both, huh. Lol. Keep up the great work, love the sounds.

A little OT, but I wonder what bis developers feels when they see that single/few hobbyst made 100x better sounds in game than their whole not-so small team >.>

I think this mod has worth of its own. It doesn't need to be entered on a competition to prove its worth.

I believe the choice of whether it goes in the MANW competition is up to the creator and his financial needs.

Personally?

I think the more you steer the mod away from such contests, the more valuable it gets in terms of the finished product (and the creator's satisfaction).

With contests it becomes less of having a better finished product and being satisfied with it and it becomes more of a matter of winning it by outplaying the competition which often comes at the cost of a lower-quality finished product and satisfaction.

As for sounds? I can't have enough real life. :P

Testing, however, I'm of two minds about.

On one hand, it'd be good to release it as a WIP to the community so people can start enjoying the sounds already and possibly report the rare or more common bugs that pop up in stress environments.

On the other hand, whatever feedback tracker there is will be spammed hundred-fold with the same bug several different people discovered.

My two bits: Keep it in closed testing. Release it whenever you're happy with the end result or you feel it's "release worthy".

Edited by Subscyed

I voted for more holywood-ish sounds. Not because I don't like authentic, which I do. But because some "authentic" sounds come across as lame ducks in game - which is why I use JSRS in the first place. For example in real life, bullets flying over head sound like snapple bottle caps clicking - which Vanilla Arma 3 already has nailed down perfectly. I prefer the exaggerated bullet snaps that the mod provides as it makes the game more intense.

I also voted for you to take your time and not release it unfinished. I understand the desire to get dragonfyre up and running as soon as possible, but I feel it's better to be patient and not have the experience hampered by WIP sounds and features. Plus constantly updating it would be a pain for server compatibility.

That's my $0.02

I voted for 5.1/7.1 speakers but my headset is 7.1. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I also use 7.1 headset and Razer Surround Software with Dragonfyre 0.6 and it´s amazing. I like the explosion sounds when a group is throwing nades or m320 grenade launchers

I am using hifi headphones with linear frequency response and x-fi in cmss2 mode. I prefer authentic sounds because they sounds more.....holiwoodish....if you pump up the volume enough :p

I am using hifi headphones with linear frequency response and x-fi in cmss2 mode. I prefer authentic sounds because they sounds more.....holiwoodish....if you pump up the volume enough :p

I have the same setup and agree regarding the sounds :)

A little OT, but I wonder what bis developers feels when they see that single/few hobbyst made 100x better sounds in game than their whole not-so small team >.>

Oh stop it. Game developer audio teams are the redheaded stepchildren of the industry. They get very little funding and outside of racing sims, generally they have very small teams. More people have probably touched JSRS than worked on the sound systems in ArmA 3.

Sound just doesn't get attention or a lot of support. We're lucky to have the mod. Don't be ungrateful.

I use stereo headphones (trackIR user, imo headphones are the only way to play when you use TrackIR), I prefer authentic sounds because I am not afraid of turning the volume up, and I'm of two minds on the contest thing. On the one hand, I think you deserve a chance at that stuff. On the other, I don't really like what the contest has done to the addon community (too competitive and uncooperative in quite a few spots). But I don't think we have to worry about that with you so I'll be happy with whatever! It's your work after all :)

I use a stereo headphone with a Dolby Headphone hardware DSP for surround emulation (looks like a 7.1 device to the PC).

As far as the contest is concerned, enter it if you feel like it. The contest is a nice idea, though it doesn't do the content justice. For example I wouldn't want to miss TFAR, or JSRS, they both help so much with the immersion, but they are not competing mods. So how can one win over the other?....

On the question of release now or later, I would say release when the mod does not break anything. I.e. performance is good, there are no known script errors shown in the RPT and I will not have sounds missing (I mean not hear anything, not that all sounds have to be covered by DF). Things don't have to be tweaked to perfection on the first release, just make it a beta or alpha (if not feature complete) and call it final once you are satisfied. Always good to have more people provide feedback and get other modders to start implementing support for DF early.

Gundy

On the question of release now or later, I would say release when the mod does not break anything. I.e. performance is good, there are no known script errors shown in the RPT and I will not have sounds missing (I mean not hear anything, not that all sounds have to be covered by DF). Things don't have to be tweaked to perfection on the first release, just make it a beta or alpha (if not feature complete) and call it final once you are satisfied. Always good to have more people provide feedback and get other modders to start implementing support for DF early.

My feelings exactly. ;)

Hey guys,

first of:

[h=2]View Poll Results: Some questions - multiple choise![/h]It obviously should be "CHOICE" and not Choise, jees. Excuse my language, maybe a moderator might wanna change that :)

So, this is a little update more or less about the current status about DragonFyre and the things that need to be done before I consider a release. As the poll so far is showing, there are quiet a lot of people showing the patience to wait for the final release which surprises me actually. But thats really good to me. I know from the past that this endless "patching" is not quiet what people want or prefer. And as normally I'm not a big fan of PwS or what ever. I want my mod spread to the world the way I uploaded it. When I start patching things in a weekly or even daily matter, we would end up with multiple different version all over the net. ArmAholic has a different version as PwS, and the version provided here will be a total different one also and so on.

Trust me, the past showed me some trouble here and it was always horrific for me seeing that there are multiple different versions running and people are complaining about that. This time I'd really like to prevent that. So I go for a full release when we hit Version 1.0. As we close to 0.7 in the intern tests, it wont be that long anymore. ;)

Ok, lets go over to some deeper facts about the mods status here (Currently I'm just in the mood for large texts heh)

FEATURES

The current feature that the latest intern DFyre-version 0.6/0.7 covers are the following (Those features are working fine):

Scripted:

1. -Distant sounds for weapons of all kind, no matter of handheld or vehicle

2. -Inroom Sounds for weapons of all kind, no matter of handheld or vehicle

3. -Distant sounds for explosions of all kind

4. -Inroom Sounds for explosions of all kind
  5. -FPS sounds when being in first person
  6. -Shrapnel sounds, when being close to explosions
  7. -The combination of CFG sounds and scripted explosion sounds creates totally randomly generated soundeffects

Unscripted:

1. -Decent distance sounds for vehicles of all kinds

2. -Fitting engine sounds for all vehicles using CFG entries

3. -Best fitting firearms sounds for all weapons

4. -Almost 100% of the games sound is covered by DFyre, except the campaign sounds like voice acting and cutscenes

5. -The JSRS immersion, making all sounds kinda fit together to create the best milsim experience

PLANNEDFEATURES

As some of you know, I always tried to get something new and shiny in each new mod that I have released so far. As there were some new effects in JSRS2 that JSRS1.5 couldn't deliver. Now, there are still some things planned that I try to build into DFyre. With the gigantic help of LAxemann we were able to archive some cool effects and scripted the new distant explosions and such. Now there are still some things we or at least I have planned. Some I dont need scripting for, others are a bit more difficult to archive.

ENVIRONMENT

I'd like to create a really decent environmental sound-scape in ArmA3. All the CFG entries that I'd need are there and working, just brining the sounds into the game is the hard part now. The sound must fit together to archive that. In the end I'd like to have a gigantic sound scape working making each location kinda sound different from the last one. Traveling 5 miles through the country and the next forest should not EXACTLY sounds like the last one.

VEHICLES

That was always a hard part to me but I managed good so far I guess. This time I'd like to archive a really good sounding vehicle audio that makes people feel the power and heaviness of such military vehicles. As shown in the latest videos, it IS possible to get there, the only thing is, that I have to concentrate on each vehicles individually and not make a rather big sound pool vehicles take their sounds from. Thats the way I tried before and its not working out that good as I see the progress of the FV720 Mora for example. Or the APCs...

WEAPONS

As stated some posts before I want to bring some more dynamic range into my sounds. As some are already compressed, it wont be possible without either hard tweaking or rebuilding some from scratch even. Tho most sounds are fine gladly and dont need much work. The distance sound scape got all updated already and is quiet done so far. A future video will show you the "dynamic range" tweaks that I might, so some people will see what I mean.

SCRIPTS

We want DFyre to be stable obviously, but also have a certain range of assets and effects that makes it kinda unique. Tho seeing my current competition, I guess DFyre will be kinda unique or IS already anyways. Tho it will or at least HAVE to have some more. As LAxemann is already kinda involved, we planned to build in a Urban sound script. So when ever people are shooting in a village or town or city, the sounds will be different, more louder echos and such. So you can HEAR that someone of firing in a housy-kinda environment.

As some already suggested we also discussed the integration of L_ES. At least the feature of the soundscape that reflects sounds from the environment. As DFyre is already really script heavy (but so far without any kind of performance loss) we are considering this just as an option so far. That either people can choose for themselves or to have just L_ES_DFyre version as a standalone mod. As the sounds in DFyre are already really loud and heavy, you wont notice the L_ES features as much as they would deserve. So I'd have to create new sounds fitting the DFyre sounds.

STATUSETA

As much as I hate this topic myself, I can't avoid it obviously. I simply could just say "When its done" which is kinda true, but it wont be fair to those who are waiting so hard for the release, helping me out in all kinda matters and supporting me either via feedback, suggestions or even donations. So I want to give you an overall status of the mod:

As you already now, its close to the intern version 0.7. So I can actually say we are around 70/75% done. So a first release wont be that far away. I currently made the vehicles, that was the latest "BIG" task for me. Tho as I said, I used pools for the sounds which then got used by several vehicles sometimes. Now I want to give each vehicle its own unique sound. Gladly there are not as far vehicles as in ArmA2, and some are almost the same even. For example the Kamysh and the Tigris could use the same kinda set of sounds without having done a mistake. Its the same vehicles with just differnt turrets. Same goes for others. The Slammer even are three times the same vehicle. So, I got the Mora done so far as I was using the vehicle as some kinda "test object" to see if my "ideas" get through the cfg into the game the way I wanted them. And so far its working out REALLY good. So this idea and CFG build will flow into all the heavy mil vehicles now.

As said, most weapons are fine and does not need much tweaking or changes. Just the distance and scripted effects will be tweaked further. Same goes for the explosions. As we have now inroom explosion sounds as well, its really important to have a more or less big set of sounds for those effetcs, you dont want each grenade sound exactly the same when it explodes inside a building. Therefore I'm crrently creating those.

I splitted the explosions into following classes:

1. 20mm - All kinda Autocannon sounds from 20 to 45mm or what not e.g. the BTR Kamysh cannon
  2. Grenade - All kinds of grenades, from m203 to handgrenades
  3. Rocket - All kinds of rockets and missiles like RPG or even Sidewinder or Air missiles, AT and so on
  4. Shell - Like cannon shells like 120mm, 85mm mortar. Missiles like 230mm MLRS are included here
  5. Arty - All the big fat bombs. Arty rounds and so on. GBU and what not

Most explosion sounds are done and set in stone so far and can be implemented. The scripts are all written and done. The ony problem that we still have are those triggered and spawned explosion effects that need further scripts, the Vote that has been started is part of the problem. And the solution actually. The last PROBLEM that we have. If that it fixed, I pretty sure a release wont be far away now.

ETA, well, not sure so far. A couple of months even. It will be released THIS YEAR, thats a fact. Tho before we cant fix the above stated problem with the spawned explosions, I can't say what we gonna do. I will obviously keep you updated and informed about the project and its status. Will provide more videos in the future.

As for now, thats all I can say. I hope you guys dont hang up on me, DFyre WILL make it, that has never been the question. It just will take its time now ;)

Thanks for listening... well, reading in that case ;)

All the best,

LJ

When RHS will realese their addon will You have Your eye on it? How big is your "east sound" database?

Just asking. JSRS: DF, new BlastCore and addons by RHS would be the greatest COMBO ever... Realism and immersion like no other

I hope you'll finally be able to replace the terrible GAU 8 impact sounds (sounds like a vanilla ArmA 3 grenade explosion) with more authentic crackling of an actual GAU 8 impact or something. There was a sound mod I saw for ArmA 1 that did this.

Really looking forward to more progress videos and, of course, the future release! :D

Thx for the Update (should we call it SoundRep?).

AS LJ already pointed out the biggest problem i the path of JSRS is the thing with the scripted explosions. They currently don´t have any distance sounds, that includes spawned IEDs/Mines, virtual artillery, Zeus Fire support.

So please guys vote this thing up and constantly ask the Devs about it.

JSRS DragonFyre, BlastCore, RHS : new HopeRep

Lol, HopeRep. Love it.

On a more serious note, I really hope that DragonFyre will put some great mortar/arty sounds on the table. Most games explosions are the same thing. But honestly, I want some unique and real sounding. Like, I literally want to hear that incoming and than instant smash that oils cause me to jump/throw off my headphones and dash under my desk like a scared mother trucker. XP. Can't wait for this mod. Keep up the great work Jarhead, and Laxemann. Greatness awaits.

I hope that the sound of tube grenade launcher will be realistic. Like in this video:

When RHS will realese their addon will You have Your eye on it? How big is your "east sound" database?

Just asking. JSRS: DF, new BlastCore and addons by RHS would be the greatest COMBO ever... Realism and immersion like no other

May Database is gigantic for east weapons and vehicles sounds, as well as west military vehicles and weapons. Tho I'm pretty sure that RHS will provide decent enough sounds for their own...

I hope you'll finally be able to replace the terrible GAU 8 impact sounds (sounds like a vanilla ArmA 3 grenade explosion) with more authentic crackling of an actual GAU 8 impact or something. There was a sound mod I saw for ArmA 1 that did this.

Really looking forward to more progress videos and, of course, the future release! :D

Actually, the impact sounds kinda bug me also lately and is one of the least things I've ignored so far. Gonna sit myself on it during the week I guess. A lot of explosion sounds got tweaked so far and I hope to get some decent effects for the Gau done as well, we'll see about that...

Lol, HopeRep. Love it.

On a more serious note, I really hope that DragonFyre will put some great mortar/arty sounds on the table. Most games explosions are the same thing. But honestly, I want some unique and real sounding. Like, I literally want to hear that incoming and than instant smash that oils cause me to jump/throw off my headphones and dash under my desk like a scared mother trucker. XP. Can't wait for this mod. Keep up the great work Jarhead, and Laxemann. Greatness awaits.

Did not touched these entries yet as they are new so far to the CFG_Ammo classes. But just looking into the CFG's ;)

I hope that the sound of tube grenade launcher will be realistic. Like in this video:

Actually never edited the tube GL's so far but will do for DFyre ;)

LJ