Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

So JSRS will have something like this ?

(The time between explosion and sound appearing.

So JSRS will have something like this ?

(The time between explosion and sound appearing.

Besides jet and helicopter engines (for whatever reason) speed of sound is already being simulated in arma, if you didn't notice.

Besides jet and helicopter engines (for whatever reason) speed of sound is already being simulated in arma, if you didn't notice.

The speed of sound simulation in DFyre and previous JSRS versions is totally scripted, since thr "actual" firing sound defined in the configs is only audible for a few meters. :)

The speed of sound simulation in DFyre and previous JSRS versions is totally scripted, since thr "actual" firing sound defined in the configs is only audible for a few meters. :)

Yeah, but as far as I can recall arma2 and 3 are simulating speed of sound, weapons, artillery explosions and GBUs always seemed to work like that, audible distance aside.

What's the planned maximum audible distance in DragonFyre?

Kinda curious if we will be able to hear the deep rumble from arty shells or aircraft bombs impacting at distances of 10km and beyond (since only deep bass frequencies have sufficient energy to travel that far).

Cheers

Yeah, but as far as I can recall arma2 and 3 are simulating speed of sound, weapons, artillery explosions and GBUs always seemed to work like that, audible distance aside.

What's the planned maximum audible distance in DragonFyre?

Kinda curious if we will be able to hear the deep rumble from arty shells or aircraft bombs impacting at distances of 10km and beyond (since only deep bass frequencies have sufficient energy to travel that far).

Cheers

Well after all I'd have to check for that but in theory thats no problem at all having big guns like the artys go over 10km. Same for large explosions ;) The good thing with the current script is, that I can subordinate them in different groups of sounds. For example hand-grenades have their own sqf files, lauchners and rockets, shells and cannons, 20mm-XXmm HE rounds, so can be Arty. And so each sqf can have its own sets of values and so... own sets of distances ;)

LJ

How exactly do you achieve sound manipulation in armas sound engine?

Are there actually in game filters/FX you can use to add some variety to sounds or are you forced to prepare a variety of specific samples?

I guess it's the latter, since transitions between certain sounds depending on distance would be way more fluent otherwise.

Can't be really that hard for BI to add some simple reverb/FX algorithms to the engine, since most modern PCs should be able to handle a few simplistic VST-like FX in realtime (the delay really shouldn't be bigger than 2-3ms with todays hardware).

Cheers

How exactly do you achieve sound manipulation in armas sound engine?

Are there actually in game filters/FX you can use to add some variety to sounds or are you forced to prepare a variety of specific samples?

I guess it's the latter, since transitions between certain sounds depending on distance would be way more fluent otherwise.

Can't be really that hard for BI to add some simple reverb/FX algorithms to the engine, since most modern PCs should be able to handle a few simplistic VST-like FX in realtime (the delay really shouldn't be bigger than 2-3ms with todays hardware).

Cheers

No they do have FX algorithms actually. Tho I'm still using multiple samples. Well, thousands of them actually :P To achieve my vision. The FX algorithms are cool but not really thaaaaat cool to me.

LJ

Nice.

Is it much less performance intensive to use alot of sound samples? I would assume so, vs having the computer caclulate it, you just like pre calculate it and bake that into samples I assume.

Isnt that gonna make it harder for mod support, assuming you use a automated system to make all the samples, would you like release it or something??

Nice.

Is it much less performance intensive to use alot of sound samples? I would assume so, vs having the computer caclulate it, you just like pre calculate it and bake that into samples I assume.

Isnt that gonna make it harder for mod support, assuming you use a automated system to make all the samples, would you like release it or something??

No, actually having the script that I'm using is more performance intensive than actually having a good filter doing its work using less sounds. :P

LJ

@ LJ Interesting, as a programmer I try to think of the ways that people make stuff work, but to my surprise its quite different then I expect.

I do wonder still though, does having so many sound samples make mod support diffuclt? Or is it the same set of distance effects for MG # 1 as MG #2(ie: all models of MGs, then all models of Sniper are the same, etc etc ), since i know you put some randomization in or something along those lines.

@ LJ Interesting, as a programmer I try to think of the ways that people make stuff work, but to my surprise its quite different then I expect.

I do wonder still though, does having so many sound samples make mod support diffuclt? Or is it the same set of distance effects for MG # 1 as MG #2(ie: all models of MGs, then all models of Sniper are the same, etc etc ), since i know you put some randomization in or something along those lines.

You might be thinking too complicated :D

Everything still works just as in previous JSRS versions:

Each weapon (or sometimes: weapon type) has it's own soundset with fixed sounds for specific distanced, we just let the mod pick a sound out of a pool for "closer" distances, but these sounds fit the firing weapon, too.

Afterall, in order to make your mod DFyre compatible, you'd still just have to insert a "DFyre_sound_effect_weaponname" (or so) into your weapon config. ;)

So, are the effects and all being applied to bullets, bombs, etc. in this mod also going to be applied to environmental effects, mainly lightning?

Well, you are right, gave yourself the answer already. In DFyre I've made it simple: In a weapons cfg file you put a code in the sound area of the cfg. The exact codes will be listed in the readme and in this thread obviously. So, you pick a code that fits your weapon. We have basis pool like Rifle1 and Rifle2, MG, Sniper, DMR, SMG, AUTOCANNON, CANNON, COAX, and so on. AND we have single weapon type pools, mx rifle, katiba, FS2000, Zafir, M200 and so on. So you can either use one of the basic pool sounds or a specific sound from a vanilla rifle. Each Rifle, like the MX for example, has a set of over 530 sounds that are direct and only made for that single weapon. Same as all the others. Why so many? I just do what a good filter could technically do with less sounds,mixing them on the fly. That's the way I give DFyre such a dynamic soundscape.

BUT, as LA stated above, you can also use the old JSRS codes still. Lets say AK47, PKM, SVD, M2, M16 and so on. All that is IN DFyre as well ;) So all mods that use the JSRS codes will still work with DFyre. No need to exchange anything in the config. You can use the weapon addon and either JSRS or DFyre and both will work just fine ;)

So, are the effects and all being applied to bullets, bombs, etc. in this mod also going to be applied to environmental effects, mainly lightning?

Not quiet sure what you mean with that, explain that please. The only things that get applied are fired weapons and fired ammo classes.as soon as the ammo,like a cannon shell for example hit something it gets deleted,the object, that's when the scripts kicks in and plays a sound files at it's last position.

Not sure what you mean with lighting...

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

I'm guessing thunder and rest of the enviromental sounds. Bees, please! :)

Oh ok, Well I normally do cover environmental sounds, always^^

New WIP Video just showing the thrust factor on AAF Vehicles:

b_nowVtrACE

LJ

LJ

He said LightNing, not lighting. And good to known you'll do those as well. Arma 3's lightning sounds little more than someone banging on a metal sheet..

A little fun...

ebgFTkrYTEg

Dont stab me tho^^ Will edit the outside sounds a bit more, that it sounds more muffled on shorter distances as it is supposed to be :)

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Those videos show that things are going VERY well LJH ! Really looking forward to DragonFyre !