Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

As has been pointed out already by somebody else, the first instances of JSRS for A3 were not. It might seem DragonFyre might be.

Well i had no issues running it in MP. As stated by Yokhanan no issues at present have been found with DragonFyre, so we will have to wait patiently for the release.

DF is 100% client side.

Interesting that other people know more about this then I do lol :P

Ok, little update:

I wasn't doing much lately. Do to some personal things that happened lately I did not really found some time. Also I'm running into a little problem, not seeing a solution right now. The only solution would be tweaking 4000 sound effects for smooth steps over distance gradations. Well I'll see about that. Would throw me back a few month actually. In other words, it would kill my motivation which would cause a delay like that, heh.

Tho I'd like to show you some more action scenes with some real firefights and such. Only problem is my System is broken currently. My GPU is kinda f*cked up. Gotta get a new system. All the rest of this old one isn't really working out anyways. So I'll try to make some scenes for ya, just to show something more of this mod to keep you interested heh. Not that you all gonna run away and forget all about me, small little light :P hehe, nah, joking.

So, yeah. As some of the lucky few who are playing with this mod already stated, it seems to work at least as smooth as JSRS2.2 do now. Not sure about the ClientSide stuff. It will be client side only, and allowing the mod with the key on the server is already enough. DragonFyre wont change anything beside the pure sound stuff. Tho it has benefits using the mod, for more details and stuff that allows the listener to act better in certain situations. Tho is wont be that much of a advantage, since DragonFyre is... DIRTY so to say. It has nasty loud sounds and effects making the whole situation sounds cruel and dangerous. It shouldn't be sound nice and funny. It should give this certain feeling that something bad is going on there ;)

Yeah well, enough of the texting, I'm boring you guys ;) Will come up with some more videos later :)

LJ

The only solution would be tweaking 4000 sound effects

Can you explain why you would have to do this? what is the problem that occurred suddenly with the sounds?

The only solution would be tweaking 4000 sound effects for smooth steps over distance gradations. Well I'll see about that. Would throw me back a few month actually.

There was a recent post in DEV branch to do with fixing sound effects over distance. It looks like they have fixed attenuation.

From SITREP68

'Yesterday's dev update also brought word of a fix to 'speed of sound' simulation. It's a relatively complex under-the-hood change to the ordering of samples, which caused an issue where some samples were played in 2D, rather than 3D with attenuation. One useful example of what's changed is an issue where you could hear reloading across the island after the shooting, but the shooting sound came later than reloading sound. This problem should now be addressed.'

Edited by Kremator
Found sitrep

LJ,

Just curious if you plan to update the weather sounds like thunder and such?

LJ,

Just curious if you plan to update the weather sounds like thunder and such?

Yes normally i was planing on doing such. Tho Im not sure if I did already hehe. Im on vacation currently, so I get hack on things during the week ;)

LJ

Please, please, please have a special focus on the bullet cracks. They're essential in such a game and do have a huge impact on gameplay, if done right (distant cracks, close cracks, really close cracks, really really close bullet flybies).

You (and your buddies) seem to be one of the few people who have the talent, commitment and delicacy of feeling to get it right.

Edited by cheeseburger

Please, please, please have a special focus on the bullet cracks. They're essential in such a game and do have a huge impact on gameplay, if done right (distant cracks, close cracks, really close cracks, really really close bullet flybies).

You (and your buddies) seem to be one of the few people who have the talent, commitment and delicacy of feeling to get it right.

+1

Most important for me too. It's hard to get right, but JSRS is the best I've found until now and also why I have kept using it through A2 and now A3.

I agree as well. I try to get the best cracks done but Im pretty sure that DragonFyre is doing a great Job in those kinda terms heh

LJ

If this goes into the make love not war contest I vote for you! of course. Your sound mods made the biggest impact on arma for me personally and I really need them now to play.

If you think splitting them up into two projetcs than that must be for a good reason. I will try this mod when it has a working state / demo.

just some questions:

will that mod feature speed of sound? (the ~300m/s speed delay from seeing an explosion to hearing it for example).

-- looking forward!

will that mod feature speed of sound? (the ~300m/s speed delay from seeing an explosion to hearing it for example).

Speed of sound is in the Arma engine by default, you don't need any mods.

Yes it is supported by the engine, but not by all effects. For example : engine sound ...

Speed of sound is in the Arma engine by default, you don't need any mods.

Yes that is true. Tho the new scripts in DFyre have thier own calculator for speed of sound. To create a more accurate travelrate.

LJ

Yes that is true. Tho the new scripts in DFyre have thier own calculator for speed of sound. To create a more accurate travelrate.

LJ

Have couple of good quality recorded material on YT, first vid is tank firing from mid to close distance, you can even hear reloading sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tENKa1vLup0&list=UU2ds3MqB4Igmee7SedTisNA

here is firefight of Moto rola detachment, good quality-wise sounding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvbIqnivaKk#t=955

d-30s at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rijc88_GdRk&list=UUEX8eJdNUBOx-lJppP7qU_A

again, motorola detachment engaging ukr's, AGLs, rifles, RPGs 26 or 29 (not sure) in action

Ukr BMPs engine-handling sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnd2WIcFUto

videos purely for sound balancing

Just in case if you would think of RHS: Armed Forces JSRS sound mod :)

Some not too bad quality sounds, shame about the combat skills !? Elite they're not....

Yeah they seem exceptionally bad equipped, guess I've grown too customed to West style loadouts. I've always found the difference between West and East militaries striking, since NATOish countries generally equip highly trained soldier with the best gear possible, whereas PACTish countries just seem to throw soldiers in the fight with no regards to their safety (with the possible exception of Special Forces, like Spetsnatz).

I guess it's a direct consequence of the two very different war doctrines, but Russia is still paying this choice today, still having a military mostly made of untrained conscripts.

Yay!

Yeah they seem exceptionally bad equipped, guess I've grown too customed to West style loadouts. I've always found the difference between West and East militaries striking, since NATOish countries generally equip highly trained soldier with the best gear possible, whereas PACTish countries just seem to throw soldiers in the fight with no regards to their safety (with the possible exception of Special Forces, like Spetsnatz).

I guess it's a direct consequence of the two very different war doctrines, but Russia is still paying this choice today, still having a military mostly made of untrained conscripts.

Yay!

And thats is helping DragonFyre... how... again? :D on topic please ;) I mean I dont want to sound cruel now but this post not related to DFyre, I think you understand :) beside of that... I agree with you :p

OK I was trying to record some scenes today on a mission i'm building, which actually sucks so it wasnt the best result. So, im going to get something done during today, tomorrow or even the day after...

The current problem I was talking about is, that you can hear when a weapon switches through their distance steps. So running towards a shooter will cause a situation in which his rifle sound different every few meters you get closer. Bam bam bam bum bum bum bem bem bem bom bom bom pop pop pop...

Currently I have no idea on how to fix that or have a work around. But I will find a way, even if I have to rework the sounds themself. Extreme, thats the right word to measure the amount of work hehe

LJ

Decent enough quality? Shot this a few months back.

Some not too bad quality sounds, shame about the combat skills !? Elite they're not....

Well, just in south cauldron Ukr's Lost 10 000 men and that is from Ukrainian soldier mouth.

Elite they're not for a regular army... Resistance miners fare better than them it seems, no wonder as there are many Afghan war veterans.

BTW. If there would be any RF army in Ukraine, war would be done in few days.

Back on topic this soundmod is promising. Distant shots are hard to recreate.

Explosions sound nasty, never heard such good sounding explosions in ArmA series. Do you plan Sound occlusion from outside when inside the building? Like when there is windy and rainy outside and putting filter once in the building, AFAIK some modder already achieved that in A3 but not to the point of combining different filters ( outside filter, inside filter, room reverb etc.)

Also, differentiating between urban area firefights and open field firefights, it should be done on the fly by the filters?

Good morning all. Just wondered if it would be at all possible to simulate rustling leaves on a windy day. It just struck me the other day when walking through the forest. I've No idea if it's even possible, but thought I'd pop it here just in-case anyone thinks it's of any worth.

And thats is helping DragonFyre... how... again? :D on topic please ;) I mean I dont want to sound cruel now but this post not related to DFyre, I think you understand :) beside of that... I agree with you :p

OK I was trying to record some scenes today on a mission i'm building, which actually sucks so it wasnt the best result. So, im going to get something done during today, tomorrow or even the day after...

The current problem I was talking about is, that you can hear when a weapon switches through their distance steps. So running towards a shooter will cause a situation in which his rifle sound different every few meters you get closer. Bam bam bam bum bum bum bem bem bem bom bom bom pop pop pop...

Currently I have no idea on how to fix that or have a work around. But I will find a way, even if I have to rework the sounds themself. Extreme, thats the right word to measure the amount of work hehe

LJ

Yeah sorry I got carried over. :(

Yay!

LJ

can't you make the sounds overlap by using two of them i nteh transition states? not sure if this will half the performance though.

You requested some more tank videos in the JSRS thread. Tanks are meaty beasts!

Edited by Raspu86