Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

Sounding very good already LJH! Do not rush, do not listen to the 'can you tweak this/that' and do the sound mod that YOU have always wanted. We trust you enough from your track record to come up with the goods. In some respects I would even consider locking this thread and only open it for updates. That way 'tweakers' can't effect you negatively.

http://i.imgur.com/Es98O.gif (1508 kB)

Thank you. And that's all I'm going to say.

Wow, we are all amazed!!!! Incredible piece of art, good luck on this project and you have our votes for the contest!

Sounding very good already LJH! Do not rush, do not listen to the 'can you tweak this/that' and do the sound mod that YOU have always wanted. We trust you enough from your track record to come up with the goods. In some respects I would even consider locking this thread and only open it for updates. That way 'tweakers' can't effect you negatively.

Though some people may have negative sided suggestions, or tweaks, others mostly supply posative feedback, which is a much needed factor of this community, and to be honest, why would Lord be so nice as to present us with information for an upcoming mod, when, if he didn't want feedback could have simply kept secret until release. We would have never known this existed until it popped up in the "Complete" thread. Never the less, maybe some idea's or suggestions are just for thought, more than actual tweaks.

Besides that, my friend in Saudi had sent me a video of... Saudi Aribian fireworks... Just a thought for Tank and APC fire. Nothing more.

I love your mods LJ but I kind of feel that sound is many times too loud. Just consider to lower the sound if possible. It's only my personal opinion and I might be wrong though :)

Sorry DS6O, my comment wasn't particularly aimed at you, but we have all seen how endless 'tweaks' can cause modders to get pissed off. I'd rather we let LJH get on without and make the mod his way without all of our interference. His track record has been brilliant in the past, so well all just have to wait patiently (and avoid commenting)

@Yohkanan true bro, true :)

@others claiming sounds too loud ... I got a fix for you ... TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME !

Edited by Kremator

Sorry DSO, my comment wasn't particularly aimed at you, but we have all seen how endless 'tweaks' can cause modders to get pissed off. I'd rather we let LJH get on without and make the mod his way without all of our interference. His track record has been brilliant in the past, so well all just have to wait patiently (and avoid commenting)

@others claiming sounds too loud ... I got a fix for you ... TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME !

I completely agree.

Sorry DS6O, my comment wasn't particularly aimed at you, but we have all seen how endless 'tweaks' can cause modders to get pissed off. I'd rather we let LJH get on without and make the mod his way without all of our interference. His track record has been brilliant in the past, so well all just have to wait patiently (and avoid commenting)

Sorry but that is just a retarded solution if there is an issue with sound levels. You can't have a sound source in game that is drastically more louder than rest of the sounds, especially considering the isn't any HDR tone mapping in the audio (like in BF games since frostbite engine, everything else gets muffled when something loud happens).

shit that was exactly I wanted to answer :p

@xendance

If this is the case its better to say what sound is too loud related to others.

@LJ

the explosions and ambience sounds I like very much!

Modders are ( usually ) grown ups. They don't need this pathetic " hugbox " behavior from the community to do what they have to do. If someone can't handle that, which is in all honestly fine in my book since we all have our weak points, maybe they should avoid publics forums and make updates on their website, a closed thread, or something along those lines.

Please take that into consideration.

Besides constructive criticism is the core material of any project. If you're not looking for them ( fair enough ) someone should close the thread right away.

Edited by Dorak

Keep up the awesome work!

Lots of respect for the amount of time and effort you have put into this and I look forward to playing with it!

Personally Bohemia should have employed you to make sounds for Arma because it just gives the game a lot more immersive feel and keep up the good work. Since i started using your JSRS i can not play Arma with out it just sound so flat and boring.

Thank you for your great sounds.

Not sure what kinda direction I go with Air vehicles. As I think the ones in JSRS are already top notch for my taste. Tho I'd like to tweak them in some kinda way. Gotta think of a cool idea. We'll see.

And please dont forget about this guys:

PLEASE VOTE FOR: Add the possibility of adding eventhandlers to ammunitions defined in cfgAmmo <- This would help me to realize certain features in JSRS DragonFyre, so please vote for this!

This is really important for some features such as the explosions. With the current way we have a certain problem, which might get me into trouble. All "fired" ammo/grenades/missiles/rockets/shells and what not will be covered by the script, but the script cannot detect "spawned" ammunitions. Say, a spawned IED. So those kinda things would end up with no sound. So please vote the sh*t out of this thing and we can go even further with effects and immersion :P

Thanks for the help guys!

LJ

Not sure what kinda direction I go with Air vehicles. As I think the ones in JSRS are already top notch for my taste. Tho I'd like to tweak them in some kinda way. Gotta think of a cool idea. We'll see.

And please dont forget about this guys:

PLEASE VOTE FOR: Add the possibility of adding eventhandlers to ammunitions defined in cfgAmmo <- This would help me to realize certain features in JSRS DragonFyre, so please vote for this!

This is really important for some features such as the explosions. With the current way we have a certain problem, which might get me into trouble. All "fired" ammo/grenades/missiles/rockets/shells and what not will be covered by the script, but the script cannot detect "spawned" ammunitions. Say, a spawned IED. So those kinda things would end up with no sound. So please vote the sh*t out of this thing and we can go even further with effects and immersion :P

Thanks for the help guys!

LJ

They are good, but i'd say with until the Helicopters DLC is updated to DEV... There may be a chance of adding sounds to the start up and certain effects of the new Flight Physics. Just a thought.

Modders are ( usually ) grown ups. They don't need this pathetic " hugbox " behavior from the community to do what they have to do.

Agreed. No, we don't. However, when people pour a ton of themselves into their project and people are endlessly complaining and wanting individual tweaks to suit their personal tastes it becomes a pain in the ass. Sorry if this ruffles feathers, but just the way it goes. When modders say, "this is my project and this is how I wanted it to sound/look/etc", sometimes the community has the habit of neglecting to respect that with the typical "Me! Me! Me! Mine! Mine! Mine!" mental state and try to force their own will and changes upon the modder(s). Hell, there was some nutter who was sending death threats to a modder back in A2. That's how annoying people can be, sometimes heh.

We've gone through such headaches (minus any death threats...yet. There's still hope to reach that level someday!) all the way back with the first JSRS--just as SOS and others gone through for example. It just happens. That's why it's good to nip it in the bud and state to not do it and anyone doing it will be ignored.

So no, we don't need to be coddled. And yes we can hold our own with constructive criticism (keyword is constructive, not "I don't like it, change it for me!" and post a low quality YT video or blurry, pixelated picture, etc). And no, constructive criticism is not the sole core basis at least in regards to people who open wip threads here. People are free to post their work freely to showcase and free to either accept or ignore an individual's criticism...just saying.

Either way, we appreciate feedback and constructive criticism. All I'm saying, as well as Kremator was (I believe) was that there's a line between critique and just being an annoying pain in the ass throughout development where people are never satisfied and want everything custom tailored to their own individual tastes. I've lost count how many times I've had to lecture people in our threads, let alone how many times people have gotten so annoying we actually closed threads so we could continue in peace because it was so draining having to deal with it on a daily basis. Something that many in the community who have yet to step into a modders shoes haven't yet understood or gone through, and just think modders/modding teams tend to be stuck up, or just babies who can't handle the never-ending whining (although those who are whining tend to call it constructive criticism in their own delusion), begging for news, or trying to force the modders to change their vision and desires to meet someone else's. It happens, trust me.

All I'll say in ending is that we continue to enjoy the feedback, but for the community to also keep in mind that this is LJ's vision for Dfyre. And in the end it's his call. Billions of requests to change every sound around the clock like back in JSRS will be more than likely promptly ignored. :p Things are all WIP and some things are just testing the waters with new system features, thus sounds are all subject to change at any given time.

And for those mentioning volume issues--I play ArmA with Dragonfyre with my ArmA sound volume maxed out and my headset volume on high. If I'm going to go deaf in my elder years, then dammit--it's going to be from Dragonfyre and not old age! :yay:

If I'm going to go deaf in my elder years, then dammit--it's going to be from Dragonfyre and not old age! :yay:

Yay :P THAT!

LJ

My body is ready for this.
You sure baut that ?

- The stuff shown in the videos sounds awesome! can't wait for it :) nice to see you back <3

Damn, I REALLY like these new sounds... especially the shattering glass FX when houses etc get blown up. :)

Dear god the weapon and explosion stuff... I cannot wait for CAS with this.

I'm curious about how (read: if) the environment stuff might carry over to addon maps. I rarely play on Altis or Stratis so I'm curious how much of that will/could be working on addon maps like Clafghan or even A2 maps.

I will say that I really don't like the movement sounds. A lot of it sounds either too flat or WAY too abrasive. And not in a material way, the sounds are just unpleasant to listen to with a nice pair of headphones. I'm not sure WHAT it sounds like but maybe it's that there's a lot of what sounds like extremely dry, brittle grass being walked through/brushed. Which doesn't really fit any environment I've seen in ArmA. Especially the stock maps. And a really crispy crunch on a lot of footsteps, followed by the heavy sound of first person foot steps. That I love, and the gear sound isn't too bad other than things sound a little too loose (I like that, but it sounds more like a weapon with a lot of stuff on it being shaken, not so much like what you'd expect to have rattling around in a pack).

But I also feel like the sound that I assume is fabric moving and touching sounds like too smooth a surface. A little more texture to it I think would be appropriate.

Maybe the video just exaggerates the sounds a lot or something but I felt like it needed a lot of work. I wear really nice headphones and something I've noticed is movement sounds are already a bit much, I don't know how much of that is vanilla stuff, how much is current JSRS.

Not sure how useful that is, but everything else is amazing!