Sign in to follow this  
Chairborne

Gameservers and playwithsix

I want to get a server to play with my friends.

I tried gameservers in the past and i was really happy with it, it was easy enough to manage and the connection was kind of good.

However the thing i'm worried about is managing mods.

I use playwithsix on my computer and it works fine, is there any way i can get playwithsix to work on gameservers so that i can manage and update my mods from there?

If playwithsix is not an option serverside, is there any way i can manage, update and synchronize mods between server and client?

Does anybody have experience with that?

Unless you have full access over your server (ie: VNC or RDP) you won't be able to use PWS or similar applications. You should have FTP access and that would be your only option as far as uploading mods. Unfortunately that doesn't help with syncing mods between client and server. BIS is working on something through Steam but unsure as to how that will work exactly.

That's exactly what i was afraid of lol.

I'll have to get creative i guess...

Thank you.

For your players you can setup an FTP repo of the mods you require and use Arma3Sync application to keep clients up to date.. doesn't help with the server however :)

Try arma3sync, that will allow you to build a repo on the server and have your clients connect to download and sync to it

arma3sync has no benefit here. You just have to upload the data in way or another to your server.

If you cannot install programs (aka just a game server), ftp is the only way most likely.

I'm pretty sure PWS offers the custom repo too.

As Kju said though, that wouldn't make much difference as i would have to rent a second server for the data itself anyway. :\

My advice is: to find another server admin with a root /windows managed server from your community,

who is willing to get the mods and their updates via PWS on his server and to do a server to server transfer (via ftp).

Does PWS have repo support now? They didn't before and was the primary reason we stuck with Six-Updater until it stopped working recently.

It does as far as i know, united operations has it working for both A2 and A3.

Yes, we (Anrop) use PWS with our custom repo. Although, there is no support for creating repos with PWS.

Does PWS have repo support now? They didn't before and was the primary reason we stuck with Six-Updater until it stopped working recently.

huh? I updated our custom repo yesterday with Six Updater and the changes was reflected in PWS like it always has. What's stopped working for you?

huh? I updated our custom repo yesterday with Six Updater and the changes was reflected in PWS like it always has. What's stopped working for you?

Ah I meant that SU seems to have stopped receiving mod updates... there are numerous mods I can no longer update with SU (it tries but errors out each time). I read that this would happen at some point as Sickboy has to maintain 2 different file repos (one for SU, one for PWS) and to save space they were scraping the SU repos.

I didn't realize you could still use SU for custom repos I'll give that a try thanks!!