mrflay

FLAY Photography Mod (wip)

Here are some screenshots from a mod I'm currently working on...

vLQgOXsl.jpg

gaeSojMl.jpg

yeCk4Sml.jpg

The idea is that you are a freelance photographer and you earn money selling pictures to different news agencies. At the start of the day a few random assignments are generated (eg. take photo of some event, stalk a celebrity, etc) and the goal is to finish as many of them before the day is up (pictures need to be produced and taken to respective news agency in order to get payed). Better equipment can be bought with the money earned in order to take better pictures (which are worth more money)...

Planned Features

• Different types of cameras ranging from low-end compact cameras to high-end professional DSLR.
  • Different types of film (e.g. b/w, color) and memory cards (32 MB - 16 GB, etc).
  • Different types of lenses for SLRs ranging from cheap poor quality to expensive high quality.
  • Various items and accessories that gives quality bonus for pictures taken (eg. light-meter, filters, etc).

Will expand on it later... ciao!

As a bit of a photographer myself, I'm quite looking forward to this mod :D

Will we be able to adjust the aperture/exposure?

Great DSLR models btw.

Edited by Goodson

Can we have combat cameramen now? If only to reenact Full Metal Jacket.

This looks awesome, looking forward to this! :)

Interesting proposition. For me, I want a new Leica M with a 35mm 2f, you can keep the teles and DSLR.

Will the ISO/ASA sensibility, lenght of field, aperture, White Balance and so on be simulated? Filters could also give it a point ( like neutral density ).

Seeing as this well be a mod, well all I mostly want to do is use this to make journalist and OSCE missions, will it be suitable for anything without scripts?

I hope you see what I mean.

Very nice. Are you planning to add a videocamera as well? I was playing with this idea for a while, but do not have the skills to make it so.

This could actually be kind of cool for military stuff as well, for intelligence gathering.

We just need a black camera, and a laptop to upload shots from in the field that lets us send the actual images to other units elsewhere on the map (ie back at HQ)

What I like to see if it would be possible to add a Recce Pod to aircraft,to do acctual Battle Damage Assesmanet ,where you send in a plane with cameras to take pictures after strikes to see if say a SAM-site is off-line after a strike.

Doing this a little as HAFM Helicopters Mod,where you can pinpoint the camera / Gunsight to a place on the ground will be most accurate I can think of.

Then have some way to export the pix to a Tablet / Blue Force Tracker as a file as "Snap" then "Send" button presses.

We would need a decent amount of zoom so to stay out of the emidiate danger zone .

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Will we be able to adjust the aperture/exposure?

Will the ISO/ASA sensibility, lenght of field, aperture, White Balance and so on be simulated? Filters could also give it a point ( like neutral density ).

Possibly, but only in a very simplified (gamey) way. I'm still experimenting with this stuff, but the goal is to make it extensible so you have a "rating" module that determines the quality of the shot. Currently, this only scores the shot based on focus, scale, and visibility.

Seeing as this well be a mod, well all I mostly want to do is use this to make journalist and OSCE missions, will it be suitable for anything without scripts?

Yes, it's possible to use the items without any scripts. The extra functionality is added by modules.

Are you planning to add a videocamera as well?.

Yes.

This could actually be kind of cool for military stuff as well, for intelligence gathering.

We just need a black camera, and a laptop to upload shots from in the field that lets us send the actual images to other units elsewhere on the map (ie back at HQ)

Yeah, it will be possible to use the mod in this way (sync "photograph" module with a target and add "laboratory" module synced to laptop where photos can be produced/uploaded).

What I like to see if it would be possible to add a Recce Pod to aircraft,to do acctual Battle Damage Assesmanet ,where you send in a plane with cameras to take pictures after strikes to see if say a SAM-site is off-line after a strike.

Cool idea, but out of scope for this mod. Although, I'm thinking about modding the Darter to allow taking photographs, but we'll see.

Possibly, but only in a very simplified (gamey) way. I'm still experimenting with this stuff, but the goal is to make it extensible so you have a "rating" module that determines the quality of the shot. Currently, this only scores the shot based on focus, scale, and visibility.

Cool, sounds good :)

You may already know about this command, but you could use setApertureNew to adjust the aperture when you take the shot. Users could set this value in f-stops, and then a script could translate this into Arma values.

Also, can we actually view the pictures after we've taken them? If so, I'd be interested to know how you plan on implementing this.

You may already know about this command, but you could use setApertureNew to adjust the aperture when you take the shot. Users could set this value in f-stops, and then a script could translate this into Arma values.

Yeah, may look at it when basic functionality is complete.

Also, can we actually view the pictures after we've taken them? If so, I'd be interested to know how you plan on implementing this.

Simplest way would be to use steams screenshot feature by sending "F12" key event from an extension, then crop the file and set it as texture.

doesn't "F12" give you a menu on screen ? (i got my screenshot on "break/pauze" button)

and will you do specific lenses like sigma 50-500mm or canon 70-200mm L is usm ? (or nikon etc.)

please consider weight to hold it steady etc. (i do make photos of aircraft irl and walking with my lens all day in hand does strain my arms :D)

Per usual, thinking outside-the-box. This looks fantastic! Will fit into surveillance, black ops, and CIA type stuff. Love it!

^^ oooh yeah. Mission1 - photograph target making out with ex-boyfriend (needs correct focus, aperature, being caught in the act). Mission2 - travel to a hideout and show the pictures to the client. Mission3 - get hired as a hitman and pop a cap in his ass!

I'm currently experimenting with the UI. Currently it works like this. The first shot will display all visible targets (in yellow) for 10 seconds. The number below the icon is the number of shots required to identify the target. Once the target has been identified it will always be visible in scope view.

Here's a video of it in action...

Have had this idea myself for quite some time now, and had it on my mind a lot a few days ago. great to see it happening.

Also when talking about a video camera, we're talking about these, right?

http://services.creativecow.net/images/co_5199.jpg

http://bhmediastrategies.com/uploadedImages/ist2_3381983-cameraman-isolated-on-white.jpg

doesn't "F12" give you a menu on screen ? (i got my screenshot on "break/pauze" button)

and will you do specific lenses like sigma 50-500mm or canon 70-200mm L is usm ? (or nikon etc.)

please consider weight to hold it steady etc. (i do make photos of aircraft irl and walking with my lens all day in hand does strain my arms :D)

You're right about the menu popping up when hitting F12, so it needs to be rebound to another key like you said. I noticed there is a slight delay (around ~30 ms) before the screenshot is taken, so this "feature" is only feasible when taking single shots.

And yes, there will be various types of lenses from different brands. Not sure if weight of accessories is taken into account when simulating fatigue.. need to look into that.

Per usual, thinking outside-the-box. This looks fantastic! Will fit into surveillance, black ops, and CIA type stuff. Love it!

Yeah, should hopefully provide a little more variation to missions. Thanks!

^^ oooh yeah. Mission1 - photograph target making out with ex-boyfriend (needs correct focus, aperature, being caught in the act). Mission2 - travel to a hideout and show the pictures to the client. Mission3 - get hired as a hitman and pop a cap in his ass!

Alternatively, Mission3 - follow client and photograph him taking murdering ex, and then blackmail him or sell pictures to press :)

Have had this idea myself for quite some time now, and had it on my mind a lot a few days ago. great to see it happening.

Also when talking about a video camera, we're talking about these, right?

http://services.creativecow.net/images/co_5199.jpg

http://bhmediastrategies.com/uploadedImages/ist2_3381983-cameraman-isolated-on-white.jpg

Yes, but I probably start with something simpler like this one (with proper VHS videotape):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camcorder#mediaviewer/File:Old_School_JVC_Camcorder.jpg

Loving camera test2 in particular. What about something that lets you view the pictures already taken ? Probably WAY outside the scope of the mod so far however !

That tagging thing as a recon objective would be very very interesting. I really like this whole idea, cant wait to see more.

THIS IS PERFECT ! i love it ! this + acre would be fantastic !

Loving camera test2 in particular. What about something that lets you view the pictures already taken ? Probably WAY outside the scope of the mod so far however !

If there's enough interest I may add support for it. However, as it would require extra dependencies (eg. Arma2NET for cropping / resizing images) it would probably be as a separate optional addon.

Anyways, Here's a small test I did to see if it was possible...

It works by sending "F12" (steam screenshot key), then cropping the file to 1024x1024 and setting it as the texture for the RscPIP overlay.