Gudsawn

A2 Island Lighting Fixes

What is it?

Currently A3MP uses Stratis lighting for all its maps. This gives all A2 maps a Mediterranean feel which some may not prefer. Therefore, I decided to create a mod that uses the original Arma 2 config/lighting values to give these maps back their classic look.

Some people may prefer the Arma 2 style lighting, and others may not. This mod was made purely to suit some people's personal tastes - I hope you enjoy it.

Features

- All A3MP maps now use classic Arma 2 lighting values.

- All A3MP maps now use the correct skybox and horizon textures (instead of the default Stratis textures).

- Keys included.

Requirements

- @A3MP (should also work with AiA, but this is untested)

Download [6 KB]

Download via Armaholic

Download via SIX

Credits

- Aldruic/AllInArma dev team for their hard work on porting Arma 2 terrain.

- Kju for his very helpful guidance on configs.

Changelog

v1.1
- Added Zargabad (was missing)
- Added correct stars, sun, point, and moon object
- Reduced file size

v1.0
- Release

Known Issues

- Artificial lights are extremely bright at night (Please upvote: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20031)

Edited by Goodson

HELL YEAH! Great job with this addon. Will test it on my group's dedicated server tomorrow/late tonight!

Night sky is completely black; no stars or anything like that. Daytime looks great though!

Reference Image

Ok Phronk, thanks for spotting that. Standby for an update.

Excellent. Thank you for the release Goodson.

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@gdsn_islandlightingfixes.png

@ Goodson ;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Updated

v1.1
- Added Zargabad (was missing)
- Added correct stars, sun, point, and moon object
- Reduced file size

Download link updated above.

Thanks for adding to SIX Sonsalt6.

Great work on this, thank you for this update!

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Just tested it, there seem to be no incompatibility.

But I don't know if it's me or the addon but lights at nights are very bright.

http://imgur.com/a/UDErP

(first one on Chernarus and the others two on Takistan and I tested without the A2 Island Fixes but it still like this)

Unfortunately, it would appear that this addon nukes the dynamic clouds from the skies of every terrain (excepting the two ACR ones, oddly enough - were these covered in the addon, as I imagine they should have the same lighting and skies as Chernarus?).

I'm a big fan of the lighting changes, but is it at all possible to have them and the new clouds?

Edited by CameronMcDonald

Unfortunately, it would appear that this addon nukes the dynamic clouds from the skies of every terrain (excepting the two ACR ones, oddly enough - were these covered in the addon, as I imagine they should have the same lighting and skies as Chernarus?).

I'm a big fan of the lighting changes, but is it at all possible to have them and the new clouds?

This was done on purpose since the A3 clouds looked out-of-place (especially in Takistan) with the A2 lighting (clouds were bright white, where they should be more of a brown colour). See this image of Takistan's skybox to see the correct colour of the clouds.

I'll be looking into correcting the colour of the A3 clouds to better match the map, so yes - it is possible to have both ;)

For now the A2 skybox texture (without A3 clouds) will be used.

Edited by Goodson

;2742052']But I don't know if it's me or the addon but lights at nights are very bright.

Yes, I can confirm that. Tested on my end (with Reyhard's fix mod too) all artificial lights seem to be back to their original "too bright for Arma 3 engine" profiles, as I recall this was a problem when first importing the Arma 2 maps.

Otherwise the color palette during the day is perfect. :)

This was done on purpose since the A3 clouds looked out-of-place (especially in Takistan) with the A2 lighting (clouds were bright white, where they should be more of a brown colour). See this image of Takistan's skybox to see the correct colour of the clouds.

I'll be looking into correcting the colour of the A3 clouds to better match the map, so yes - it is possible to have both ;)

For now the A2 skybox texture (without A3 clouds) will be used.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

nice work on that addon, very authentic!

It works with AiA too apparently (tested takistan and chernarus)!

Amazing mod. Love the new lighting. Thanks a lot for making this :)

just as I suspected. With a2 skybox ponds are no more black (pond px shader was reflecting skybox) and they are behaving pretty much similar to a2 (turning into green mass and then disapearing at distance as last lod is empty). I'm curious if you will be able to have a2 skybox and a3 clouds.

gj Goodson

Takistan is way too brown judging by your screenshot. Sure it looks more like A2, but it doesn't look like the place that Takistan is emulating. The sky should still be blue, and the environment lighting should reflect that. now it looks flat and too brown. It might look good in the middle of a dust storm, but a sunny day in Takistan should look different from what it looks like in your screenshot.

Afghanistan_UN_466.jpg

You can see that even the haze in the distance has the slightest blue tint.

I'll try it out and see if that's just the screenshot exaggerating things, but that screenshot looks a little too "next gen."

No idea if you have any intention of creating another version that's less extreme but that's just my two cents. Still, it's probably better than blue fog.

I agree, the brown tint is currently a little too strong (although I still prefer it over the default Stratis lighting). I'm going to be experimenting with some other parameters (that I have not yet touched) to try to get a better balance. Thanks for the reference image.

Edit: Also note that the time of day influences the colour of the sky/horizon/global lighting. Plus, see reference images of Afghanistan below.

OAh5kHsl.jpg

size0.jpg

130304-kabul-afghanistan-hmed-1045a.photoblog600.jpg

Takistan in Arma 3 w/ Lighting Fix (Perhaps a better screenshot):

QK4MrBCl.jpg

Takistan in Arma 2:

uXIc3sll.jpg

Edited by Goodson

It's definitely better than before, I agree. I think part of it may be the big dust haze that seems to always be present way too high over the horizon. Not sure if that's a part of the skybox, or what, but it looks kind of weird.

Looking forward to what comes out of you experimenting. At the very least it's a significant improvement over the existing configs.

I agree, the brown tint is currently a little too strong (although I still prefer it over the default Stratis lighting). I'm going to be experimenting with some other parameters (that I have not yet touched) to try to get a better balance. Thanks for the reference image.

Edit: Also note that the time of day influences the colour of the sky/horizon/global lighting. Plus, see reference images of Afghanistan below.

In reference to the third image, I feel like a lot of what ends up as the brown grey washed out sky in arma 2 & 3 w/ fix is actually fog IRL, and something that can be simulated in A3 now, rather than having to fake it as in A2.