Sign in to follow this  
redarmy

Too many mods?

I want to raise a question since arma3 is my first arma adventure.

I currently have 35GB worth of mods installed.They range from sound mods,to factions weapons etc.

Im awaremods like blastcore and JSRS can hurt FPS ingame,but what about factions/objects weapons mods and generally any mods that ont drop frames simply by being in combat...example BCOMBAT.

Would having alot of custom maps, factions etc slow the game down during a playthrough?

Or am i ok to hit 40GB? ;)

Having lots of unit/maps mod mostly slow down loading times .

Content mod doesn't affect fps from my experience ( ~40gb of mods )

Content mod doesn't affect fps from my experience ( ~40gb of mods )

You can't really say that - it depends on situations.*

For instance I noticed that the AI are far more demanding with ASR compared to vanilla so you won't be able to play with as much of them as you're used to.

As far as I can tell, AI modifications are often the heaviest on your machine; you should try to keep addons relying on scripting to a minimum.

Mods introducing weapons, units, vehicles or relying on config changes shouldn't have any kind of impact (unless using very high polygon count models).

EDIT:* Just realized I misunderstood your sentence... ^^'

Only if you use them all at once.

Ie( a mission that constantly causes your hard drive to load new stuff)

Probably not really but I am sure something changes.

If you make a mission that utilizes 40 gb of mod content, remember guys arma does use your hard drive....

Probably not by much but I assume that if you have so many mods you might eventually just break the way arma mounts them.

Let´s do "shitty-burns-math" :(

One 2048x2048 unit texture ~2 MB

One 2048x2048 normal map ~4 MB

add 500 kb for specular maps

add another ~6 MB per each individual weapon those units are wielding.

That´s a total ~12.5 MB per individual unit (no shared gear whatsoever).

Each individual vehicle should be around the same 12 MB altogether mark.

Most of you have 8 GB of VRAM at your disposal *calculator noise* so it´d take about 666 (good number!) individual units and/or vehicles being on-screen & drawn in first lod to make your gfx crap out :D

I don´t know how much the island streaming costs vram wise, considering they use 100000000000x100000000000 textures lets just assume it needs all of it, so my guess would be that your map starts crapping out much earlier the more addons you´re using.

edit: On a serious note, i´m often hearing concerns about adress space, which sounds plausible, since A3 isn´t even nearly 64bit compatible yet (also, im on 32-bit lol).

If that was the case, you´re more likely than not slowing down your ArmA as soon as you load anything more than 2 GB as addons (even that might be too much already) :confused:

Edited by Mr Burns

I didn't play with many mods (only VTS weapon resting, JSRS, Blastcore, CBA, a few others). One time I took them all off. My fps went up from a usual 24-32 to 45-58. I never play with mods anymore. I would strongly advise you to at least try taking off your mods and seeing if you get better performance.

I've noticed that Blastcore was the heaviest on my performance. Maybe try getting rid of that and seeing what happens.

jsrs and blastcore are both heavy performance demanding .

Unit/Maps/Vehicles mods doesn't affect fps .

Visual/AI/Sound mods does affect ffps .

My first thought when reading the title was "will this be a discussion about the fragmentation of the Arma community by the existence of too many seperate modding projects". Unfortunately it wasn't ;)

On topic: I don't think the actually number of mods or physical space they take on your hard drive matters in regards to fps. But some of the visual or sound enhancing mods of course will have an impact.

My first thought when reading the title was "will this be a discussion about the fragmentation of the Arma community by the existence of too many seperate modding projects". Unfortunately it wasn't ;)

On topic: I don't think the actually number of mods or physical space they take on your hard drive matters in regards to fps. But some of the visual or sound enhancing mods of course will have an impact.

was my initial thought as well

So i guess the answer is yes to our initial thought ;)

On topic : I do think the actual number of mods decreases your pcs performance when playing arma, even if the decrease is the read write speed of your drives or the amount of memory used.

the effects might be minimal but using less mods would be better then using more mods. in my opinion :)

• Like 1

for the optimal case: no rpt flooding moods.

it isn't about the amount of mods your using, but rather the amount of draw calls - texture info (sections = individual files that need to be loaded) and polygon count ( secondary). if arma3 vanilla content would be +40gb big, you'd have the same situation (of course effects mods are excluded from the above since they increase particle number and their life span)

for the optimal case: no rpt flooding moods.

it isn't about the amount of mods your using, but rather the amount of draw calls - texture info (sections = individual files that need to be loaded) and polygon count ( secondary). if arma3 vanilla content would be +40gb big, you'd have the same situation (of course effects mods are excluded from the above since they increase particle number and their life span)

about maps? which difference from stratis and altis? big map low fps?

about maps? which difference from stratis and altis? big map low fps?

Generally the more objects on a map will drop FPS more so than a map with say less buildings.Trees can also contribute to fps loss on certain maps depending on your graphic settings.Size isnt the overall factor,density is.