Sign in to follow this  
zooloo75

Leaning Confusion

When you lean ingame, shouldn't your view of the world rotate instead of just your head?

Switch to first person view and lean. Notice how only your weapon changes angle and your view is still flat. Switch to third person and lean. Notice how your character's head is also tilted with the angle of the weapon. So with that in mind, shouldn't the world view tilt and not just our weapon? In reality, the weapon should retain a flat angle to our view as the character's head tilts with the weapon.

in reality your brain compensates for it... If you do that artificially ingame your brain does not really compensate for it and many people then tend rotate their head so its flat again.

Therefore it contributes nothing but potential annoyance for some people.

Tilt your head, the world us still flat to your eyes.

in reality your brain compensates for it... If you do that artificially ingame your brain does not really compensate for it and many people then tend rotate their head so its flat again.

Therefore it contributes nothing but potential annoyance for some people.

that is quite interesting.

When reading then testing this theory who leaned right and who leaned left ?

I leaned left.

Another quite interesting fact that almost no one knows: your eyeballs do rotate a little to compensate head tilting. Go to the next mirror and test it out.

I admit, the range is pretty small and not as much as it would need to compensate the ingame leaning angle. But that's why we have a brain. ;)

But wouldn't that lead to motion sickness when using devices like occulus rift?

When reading then testing this theory who leaned right and who leaned left ?

I leaned left.

Right here.

Yes it very well could, there is something called "simulator sickness" that (according to the simulator team at our uni) affects 30% of all people. As soon as something is slightly off between vision, sound and simulated motion (not present for us gamers) on the body you will get dizzy, if you have it.

Edited by Fennek

In my opinion, that'd be like adding a blinking effect. Some things can't be translated into a monitor.

Myke;2738429']Another quite interesting fact that almost no one knows: your eyeballs do rotate a little to compensate head tilting. Go to the next mirror and test it out.

I admit' date=' the range is pretty small and not as much as it would need to compensate the ingame leaning angle. But that's why we have a brain. ;)[/quote']

Your eyes do rotate a little, but what we have now when we lean does not equal to "little".

There should be at least some camera rotation when you lean. Same thing when you "prone-lean" or whatever it's called. Currently there's 0 rotation even though the character's ear touches the ground.

IIRC Insurgency has camera tilting when you lean (I may be wrong though).

These are some interesting observations and facts. The brain is a complex thing xD

Every new Arma, same discussions :D

Been here for too long maybe... :j:

The brain is a complex thing xD

Hey Speak for yourself ! Oh wait a sec...

Every new Arma, same discussions :D

Been here for too long maybe... :j:

Well, if we have the same discussions on the same issues, every new Arma isn't that new, is it... :D

Right here.

Right also.

Yes it very well could, there is something called "simulator sickness" that (according to the simulator team at our uni) affects 30% of all people. As soon as something is slightly off between vision, sound and simulated motion (not present for us gamers) on the body you will get dizzy, if you have it.

I felt some "simulator sickness" in a full-motion simulator in which I was not in control of the ride, but in the other one where I was in control, I was fine, even when I was hanging upside-down from my shoulder straps and tumbling wildly. This is likely the same phenomenon due to which pilots of jet fighters sometimes tell their inexperienced passenger to take the controls for a while if the latter feels ill, because being the one who causes the motions can make the person feel less nausea than being purely on the receiving end.

I felt some "simulator sickness" in a full-motion simulator in which I was not in control of the ride, but in the other one where I was in control, I was fine, even when I was hanging upside-down from my shoulder straps and tumbling wildly. This is likely the same phenomenon due to which pilots of jet fighters sometimes tell their inexperienced passenger to take the controls for a while if the latter feels ill, because being the one who causes the motions can make the person feel less nausea than being purely on the receiving end.

That is also true for the so called car sickness. I never heard of anyone being car sick when he is on the wheel. As soon as he's a passenger (my brother for instance), there's the car sickness.. :) I guess it is about the said control

I believe it has to do with expectations. When you make an intentional control movement, you expect the result. If you're simply riding and someone else makes the same control movement, you don't expect that exact result, even if you know the general idea of what maneuver the vehicle is about to perform. Your brain is taken by surprise, even if your conscious self is not. Hence the dizziness and/or nausea.