Sign in to follow this  
Ckrauslo

Why couldn't all the modders work together, and make something better than ACE

That's pretty much my question, i had this thought the other night, "Cunico is doing a hell of a pack pretty nice one, also the SOC mod team is doing, and RHS is doing too, they could work making armed forces redoing the game... RH and Trixie's, and toadie and eric J and a lot others they could take care of armament... Warlord and Booce, sakura_Chan, RichardsD and a lot of others could do vehicles... the GLT team, Glowbal and Goblin and so many others could work in improving the Combat system... Speed of sound mod team, and Lord Jarhead and so many others could do the sounds... working together in a big pack like ACE was... don't know just a dream would be a nice thing to see...

People have their ideas, conflict of interests and most of all, they get direct credit rather than a backseat mention, it's a good ego boost, which isn't a bad thing like most people would think. There's also side projects and real life stuff to consider, not everyone has the free time.

Arma modders are strange people, generally want to do their own thing and there's not an awful lot of collaboration goes on, it does, it's just not as grand as it could be.

As far as I know, ACE was a huge collaboration, or possibly a huge collection of modders resources.

Edited by Kiory

Who knows, maybe one day someone will kick everyone up the arse and say "Hey, this actually needs to be done".

Yeah, i wish this actually happens, because i see a lot of people complaining about this is broken and that is broken i miss this i miss that, i miss ACE, when everyone could work together, and even add more campaigns

Edited by Ckrauslo

I can see why some people prefer to work alone, but if I were someone who had excellent modelling/scripting skills I would produce content for the sole purpose of the improving/upgrading Arma and not for personal credit or 'glory'. The main goal should be to improve Arma as a community, and not to improve one's own personal profile.

This is why I respect, and fully support, projects like the Community Upgrade Project (CUP) who work together as an open group to produce content. Problem is, other individuals (who may be aware of such projects) want to do everything themselves to produce their own work (possibly duplicating work that others are already working on). Although this gives us more variation, it also likely demotivates those that are part of CUP (for example). Can you imagine if a large number of content creators came together to produce a streamlined set of mods? The community (and Arma) would benefit hugely (and this is exactly what happened with ACE).

I can see both sides of the argument, but I'd also like to hear other's thoughts.

I Agreed, i found several modders that agree with me, but is a shame that some doesn't agree with our view

In some ways, yes in others no, for instance, if i want better looking and equipped armies, i need to download several mods, better weapons, more mods, upgrade and improve air combat other mods, so that would make my mod list to big, and would make the game take more time to load things up, even in game, which would impact performance in a bad way... But in ACE case, they would be able to make improvements in combat, ai, medical system, more armies, new uniforms and textures, improve the arsenal, change the gear configuration in units and vehicles... and the community actually have the capability of doing so all over again, but all i see is nagging about where is ACE...

Edited by Ckrauslo

Well... most important thing to remember. People do this for fun. It's not a job.

You don't sit up night after night and code stuff for a game to make the world a better place. You do it because it's creative and fun.

You get an idea, then you see what it looks like in reality and then you share it. Simple as that.

The things i'm working on i'm working to make the game better, not cause is fun, fun will be when the game is working correctly and everyone can play with better things ... simple as that

The things i'm working on i'm working to make the game better, not cause is fun, fun will be when the game is working correctly and everyone can play with better things ... simple as that

Well, I guess we all have different purposes. I do all my stuff because it's fun, and also because it's fun to help people. I think that goes for most developers.

If you feel so passionately about it you really should pursue the skills you mentioned and form a team. You might do an excellent job with it!

I reacted a bit to that it sounds as if you think people kind of "owe it" to the community to do what people want them to do - not what they want to do.

No i don't think they owe to the community but i think we would all be happy if we all could sit down, and chat and see things we all agree on and try to make this the best game, since we all love this game, and we all have fun playing, and thinking about credit imagine how would be, to be known as the group of guys that made this the game with the system that almost everyone would like... "Like ACE" people always saying they miss it...

ACE was by no means an ideal mod. As an all-in-one package it suffered from having a lot of 'bloat' from features that not everybody wanted to use or felt was superfluous to their multiplayer squad's operational needs. Even back when it was the smaller Arma 1 version, people would often ask how to remove or disable elements of it to save filesize of servers etc. - which often couldn't be done due to how heavily it was all integrated.

I know a number of people would have preferred ACE to be a more modular thing like TMR or AGM (AFAIK both TMR and AGM are open to submission for new features by people outside of the main authors), so perhaps that might be why some would be reluctant to form up some big mod again, and prefer to release smaller addons that can be used alonside other smaller addons.

Who said a big mod can't be modular? with in game options to turn of features

Honestly, I can't lie, everything I do is for myself, because everything I do makes me feel good, it's that old adage of "there is no selfless good deed", everyone's actions are driven by some kind of motive, otherwise there would be no reason to act in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I have good intentions and I genuinely love helping people and bringing in new content, but I love getting compliments and praise, I love people coming to me for help because it shows that I'm doing something right.

I'm not looking to be placed on a pedestal or anything, I'd probably buckle under all that pressure. Aside from all of that, I generally work alone as that's what I'm used to, I've always worked alone, but recently that's changed.

I believe my main objective is to improve the game

Who said a big mod can't be modular? with in game options to turn of features

The point of making bigger mods is the ability to use common base classes and scripted functions to generate content and features in a streamlined manner without lots of duplication of work and data that might slow down development or otherwise create incompatibilities. However, the more integrated these classes and functions get with other elements of the mod, the more interdependent the elements become, and the less modular the overall package is.

If folks just want lots of stuff that has been proven to work all together provided in a single download link, one can generate collections on PWS or something

The other reason for working on a bigger mod tends to be because you're already pretty good friends with the other guys you're working with and it's fun to make something together. Just throwing strangers together in groups is a bit of a weird working environment.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Cant they just tell what they will contribute with,and post it and later upload a V.1.1 of something that they allready made and merge it with others modders and we Subscribe to things allready-and we could follow what people have,get,and request in forum?

Ace is in the works for arma 3. I have a feeling that Noubernou is one of the few modders left for it, but he still posts updates periodically for it on his youtube channel. Looks like spalling is in the works right now, as well as stuff for ACRE 2.

There are already much better mods than ACE man.

Aldruic unfortunately you're missing part of the point here. The post wasn't entirely about making something better than ACE, but more questioning why mod authors don't all work together.

Why couldn't all the modders work together, and make something better than ACE

Dunno, If I want to work with other authors then I'll do so, but everyones got an agenda and my idea of a perfect total-conversion mod would be wildly different to someone elses. Plus, we've all got other shit going on away from the keyboard and might not want to have responsibility of others depending on them.

If I don't finish something I'm working on for me, then who cares? If someone elses work depends on it then it's a different situation.

Plus, it's asking someone/some people to give up practically all their free time for no $$$ and for the benefit of others. No-one wants to be shepherded into doing that if they don't have the will to do so.

I think simply the answer as to why modders don't all work together is they just don't want to.

When someone comes along to organise something like that, then they'll galvanise some people into working together. Until then, nothing like that will happen.

Dunno, If I want to work with other authors then I'll do so, but everyones got an agenda and my idea of a perfect total-conversion mod would be wildly different to someone elses. Plus, we've all got other shit going on away from the keyboard and might not want to have responsibility of others depending on them.

If I don't finish something I'm working on for me, then who cares? If someone elses work depends on it then it's a different situation.

Plus, it's asking someone/some people to give up practically all their free time for no $$$ and for the benefit of others. No-one wants to be shepherded into doing that if they don't have the will to do so.

I think simply the answer as to why modders don't all work together is they just don't want to.

When someone comes along to organise something like that, then they'll galvanise some people into working together. Until then, nothing like that will happen.

Dunno with the things that already exist wouldn't be too hard to dunno, make a bigger thing, like dunno, already great things that came out and dunno, hm... could be used in a bigger pack with a more realistic aim...dunno i think is fairly simple...and giving a bit of correction it's: else's, everyone's, organize and galvanize ....

Dunno with the things that already exist wouldn't be too hard to dunno, make a bigger thing, like dunno, already great things that came out and dunno, hm... could be used in a bigger pack with a more realistic aim...dunno i think is fairly simple...and giving a bit of correction it's: else's, everyone's, organize and galvanize ....

Funny guy. If you're going to try to mock me then do a better job you fucking amateur.

Carry on asking pointless questions to strangers in this thread.