Sign in to follow this  
roni

BI, where is bolt reload animation??

From what I remember, BiS promised bolt-action rifle animation and shotgun-style load animations, game version is 1.24 so its supposed to be pretty polished already and all features should be already ingame. I can understand that can be problematic to implemet or whatever, but looking at current Arma's animation system which is pretty good imo, it should be small work to do, because we already can see those animations when you reload when you reload bolt action rifle, but not between single shots! Can someone enlight me whats going on? I know its kind of detail, but imo very important and adding very much to atmosphere. Sorry if there was thread like this.

From what I remember, BiS promised bolt-action rifle animation and shotgun-style load animations, game version is 1.24 so its supposed to be pretty polished already and all features should be already ingame. I can understand that can be problematic to implemet or whatever, but looking at current Arma's animation system which is pretty good imo, it should be small work to do, because we already can see those animations when you reload when you reload bolt action rifle, but not between single shots! Can someone enlight me whats going on? I know its kind of detail, but imo very important and adding very much to atmosphere. Sorry if there was thread like this.

I'd say (hope) that BI is trying to finish with their animation system (under the hood) before they make any changes to current existing animations. http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-refactoring-animations

this issue is persisting as long as arma is around. i think they really should not miss out things like these.

Hopefully, it'll arrive in "Marksmen" DLC. I mean, you can't have a DLC dedicated solely to snipers and sniper rifles without including proper animations.

Hopefully, it'll arrive in "Marksmen" DLC. I mean, you can't have a DLC dedicated solely to snipers and sniper rifles without including proper animations.

maybe are all semi-automatic :D

maybe are all semi-automatic :D

True but to be honest - when i see this bolt action animation working in dayz sa , there's no excuse for arma 3 to not have it too

unless they say "dayz team is different and not related to arma 3" , well yea but its not like with vbs2 when it was much harder to gain their features into game and hey arma 2 oa had vbs2 thermal feature/ir lasers

Even being different teams for different games, dont they have to follow the orders of the CEO?

Different games, different priorities, I doubt the CEO would be hands on but rather the lead developer, like how Jay Crowe is the creative director for Arma 3, and I guess Rocket would be the equivalent (extremely under qualified however) for DayZ

As for bolt actions rifles, it is baffling as to why it's not been done yet, they'll probably explain it away by saying it's 2035 and bolt action rifles are impractical? I don't know, not a weapons expert, what I do know that it's quite easily doable, and bolt actions look amazing, 1+1 = yes please!

Edited by Kiory

... they'll probably explain it away by saying it's 2035 and bolt action rifles are impractical?

Thing is, they already have two bolt-action rifles ingame - M320 and GM6. And it worth mentioning (and already was mentioned) that the animation for manual back and forth bolt pulling already exists, but it's used only after reloads.

Then it can be 1 of only 3 things, complete over sight, utter laziness or time constraints (at the time of creating them, not an issue now), take your pick.

You also have to look at the fact that (unless things have changed) Bohemia Interactive Australia handles the VBS series, whereas Bohemia Interactive Studios handles OFP to Arma 3. And naturally some features don't transfer to either divisions or products because VBS handles military clients necessities and not your average gamers so there will always be a disparity between the two. Besides most militaries fund better so BIA is able to spend that kind of money for those kind of features, etc.

And another thing. When I was in the US Army I had access to a lot of mods that were more military oriented so a lot of development drives the VBS series due to the neeeded features, Thermals, IR lasers for weapons, etc. which gets incorporated into the next Arma series, so (speculation warning here) VBS users will see that disparity, like quality maps, real world locations, various aircraft and vehicles, and other features. And don't bother me about it via PM, I'm out so no more access and quite frankly I gave up on VBS due to cost, not functionality.

And from the modding perspective, a lot of the A2 models and such come well... from VBS1 modules, so there's some sharing going on, but it's up to BIS on what features to include.

Edited by EricJ

Thing is, they already have two bolt-action rifles ingame - M320 and GM6. And it worth mentioning (and already was mentioned) that the animation for manual back and forth bolt pulling already exists, but it's used only after reloads.

Only M320 is bolt action , GM6 is semi-auto

and it is known that bolt action sniper rifles are very accurate - mainly with those higher calibers like .300 , .338 and .408

Yes, my mistake.

and it is known that bolt action sniper rifles are very accurate - mainly with those higher calibers like .300 , .338 and .408

I actually had to look that up, it seemed silly at first, but I guess with tighter components etc, it would mean less movement and such, so more accuracy.

SCIENCE!

Then it can be 1 of only 3 things, complete over sight, utter laziness or time constraints (at the time of creating them, not an issue now), take your pick.

It's probably the third. Considering the Kel-Tec KSG shotgun which was shown off in early photos is still in the dev versions of the game(and I mean bohemia's internal builds... not development build) but hasn't been released yet I think Bohemia want to implement cycling animations in-engine rather than with a scripted solution, and apparently this is a difficult undertaking. The reason we have the bolt action sniper at the moment and not being held off like the KSG was is probably for the sake of variety as there is way too much shared gear between factions right now.

Exactly cos that would be like ragdoll that doesn't... ah, ok that would be like multiplayer weather that .... uh..., like a sound engine that doesn't have ..... ahh i give up :p

Exactly cos that would be like ragdoll that doesn't... ah, ok that would be like multiplayer weather that .... uh..., like a sound engine that doesn't have ..... ahh i give up :p

Ye , expecting BIS to do something properly is probably a waiting for a miracle .. sadly

I hope to get a solution for this soon :butbut:

As the finger animation already exist to pull the trigger when firing there is no reason to not be able to animate the hand to rearm the bolt...

Today this animation is already possible by passing trough scripting...:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180818-Bolt-Cocking-Hand-animation-for-each-shoot-M24-SWS/page2

Just a quick note that GM6 Lynx is semi-automatic, bolt is only used when reloading, that's why it has faster ROF than M320 LRR.