Sign in to follow this  
MarutiaOrtia

Single Player And Multiplayer Begin To Merge

Games traditionally feature both single player and multiplayer as separate entities. With the rise to prominence of PSN and Xbox Live, the two modes have been competing with each other. Underwhelming multiplayer in strong single player experiences and lacking single player gameplay in exciting multiplayer focused games were all too common in recent years.

At last year's E3, there was a clear tide shift in the game industry as the two modes began to harmonize. Destiny, The Division and Watch Dogs offered glimpses into games that acted like MMOs with players in huge connected worlds and raids, but all with the polish and mechanics of a top-tier AAA action game.

While The Division may not end up hitting until 2015, expect to see more and more games that are both announced and released featuring this melding of single player and multiplayer. It's another way to effectively make games "always-online." Do you think that this is the future of games development?

If it's as well implemented as it is in Watch Dogs, I'm on board. But I don't see that happening with some genres.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were before Watch Dogs. Its multiplayer ideas where clearly inspired by them, and are more expansive.

They feature:

- Invasions from other players into your world, while you play your SP campaign. A threat you can't avoid if you are in beneficial state in your game called "human form". (PVP)

- Summon help from other players to your world to get help to beat a zone and/or a boss. After complete the objective they return to their world. SO it's not standard multiplayer COOP, it's more loose and occasional. You have to use in-game items to get that help and be in human form, but this also opens the door to invasions.

- Asynchronous multiplayer: You can leave messages and tips on the ground people can read and rate in their own games, to help discover secrets, or warn about traps, dangers or ambushes. Also you can interact with bloodstains from others players, this bloodstains let you watch how they have died. Simply genius.

Edited by Down8

well i live in the bush and my internet is none great for multiplayer.

if it kills the single player game where i cant even play then I'm gonna be angry.

Don't like it one bit,not because it isn't a good idea if you keep it optional but they're using it as an excuse for "always on".SimCity crapola fiasco and others comes to mind.

Don't like it one bit,not because it isn't a good idea if you keep it optional but they're using it as an excuse for "always on".SimCity crapola fiasco and others comes to mind.

Yep it could be nice but publishers aare absusing it.

Usually you can turn that off and don't be annoy (Watch Dogs was great for that, you couldn't really notice when a player enter your game).

In Far Cry 4, you will be allowed to invite a friend, once you do that, all the mission related to the main quest are turned off while your friend is playing with you.