Sign in to follow this  
pipyn1970

AH-99 Blackfoot advice

Hi guys im after some advice & tips on how to get the best out of this chopper please.

Basicly whats going on is i will be teamed with an AI pilot or Co pilot (not sure yet) & i want to provide CAS for some mates.

The problems im getting are these:

1) If im gunner, i can tell the AI to fly to a POS but im having trouble getting him to peak up behind cover so i can scan & engage targets. Im also having trouble getting my sights on target. Also if i take the flight controls im unable to lower my 20mm as i would like & then when i hand back the piloting to the AI he constantly lowers the bird & dont stay where i would like him

2) If im pilot, i can fly as i wish the AI would but im having trouble managing my AI. Its a hit & miss if he will watch the area i tell him to. I need him to watch where i tell him but dont engage until i give the order. He's so frustrating:mad:

Ive searched youtube for instructions but have found none that i need.

I was wandering if any people could help me with the following, either by putting up a tutorial vid or advising me step by step.

I need to learn :

1) How to make my AI use his optics to search an area for enemy (i want to tell him to search an area but then i want him to search another area, he stays watching the 1st area!)

2)How to make him fire on command (he's very slow if he does it at all)

3) Is it better to be the pilot or the gunner?, i will be providing CAS for human players but if im the gunner how best to control the pilot (he wont stay high enough for me to scan)

Many many thanks in advance folks for any help & videos

IMO it's better to be te pilot. And usually switch to manual fire if needed ( so I'm kind of pilot-gunner all in one ).

You have to understand how a helicopter flies and also what weapon systems have and what are their particularities ( which one should you use lock, which one you have to aim with the full machine, etc. ).

For realism sake I even try to fly with the HUD and avoid auto hover ( I check the altimeter, vertical speed, etc. ). Hope that will be improved with heli DLC and we won't be able to force the helos that much ( after all they should have a max of resistance to speed ).

Your best bet would be to have an AI gunner and set Manual Fire to on, so the AI gunner aims and you're firing.

This way you can assign targets via command menu and fire as you seem fit.

Spotting vehicles should be an easy task for your AI gunner, to spot infantry you either have to receive fire (bad) or fly low enough to be able to spot them (even worse).

This could be avoided by having 1-2 units from your group on the ground, observing and spotting the targets for you.

IMO it's better to be te pilot. And usually switch to manual fire if needed ( so I'm kind of pilot-gunner all in one ).

You have to understand how a helicopter flies and also what weapon systems have and what are their particularities ( which one should you use lock, which one you have to aim with the full machine, etc. ).

For realism sake I even try to fly with the HUD and avoid auto hover ( I check the altimeter, vertical speed, etc. ). Hope that will be improved with heli DLC and we won't be able to force the helos that much ( after all they should have a max of resistance to speed ).

Thanks Misty,

The problem im finding is that my AI gunner is very slow. I was hoping he would scan & call out targets for me. I was also hoping to use manual fire so i can engage them. I also try to fly using the HUD but as a new pilot i have a lot to learn. Keeping a hover without drifting is my biggest problem at the mo & when i try to mix in manual fire as well, well its just a mess.

when the players call for CAS i was hoping the my AI gunner, we could offer better CAS support than the support module CAS but im struggling at the mo.

Thanks again

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Your best bet would be to have an AI gunner and set Manual Fire to on, so the AI gunner aims and you're firing.

This way you can assign targets via command menu and fire as you seem fit.

Spotting vehicles should be an easy task for your AI gunner, to spot infantry you either have to receive fire (bad) or fly low enough to be able to spot them (even worse).

This could be avoided by having 1-2 units from your group on the ground, observing and spotting the targets for you.

Thanks Grumpy,

I will have human players on the ground & will prob get them to I.D targets by red smoke for me. Most of our targets will be infantry & my AI gunner struggles as i try to be about 200m high. So Grumpy are you saying as long as ive seen the targets i can click on the gunner, press 2, scroll through the targets, click on one & the gunner should aim at that target so when i press the trigger im using the gunners sights to engage tat target?

Thanks

The best way to tell your AI gunner to attack targets is just to put manual fire to on, 'lock' the target (as you would when firing a Titan or something), and wait for the box to have the diamond on it. This means the AI gunner is aiming at the target, and you can just pull the trigger to control how many rounds are fired, etc. Very easy and efficient.

The best way to tell your AI gunner to attack targets is just to put manual fire to on, 'lock' the target (as you would when firing a Titan or something), and wait for the box to have the diamond on it. This means the AI gunner is aiming at the target, and you can just pull the trigger to control how many rounds are fired, etc. Very easy and efficient.

Thanks mate, ive set manual fire & my AI gunner calls out targets. I I then press F2 then 2 & click on the target I want him to aim at. I then select the DAGR rockets. At that moment it all goes crappy for me. I don't get a box or a diamond on the HUD. I'm about 1.3ks out. When I have more than 1 vehicle he calls them all out. But nothing. When I press the trigger the rockets just fly straight! I've been pressing tab but nothing. I've had my chopper facing the vehicle & side on. I've hid behind hills, peaked up but nothing.

I know I'm missing something so small but it's vital & I just can't see it.

Thanks once again.

Thanks everyone for your help. After trying all day I've finally got it working. I tried locking on by pressing the tab key & just now I pressed the R key & I'm able to lock on now. Thanks once again

Thanks everyone for your help. After trying all day I've finally got it working. I tried locking on by pressing the tab key & just now I pressed the R key & I'm able to lock on now. Thanks once again

Yeah I think TAB doesn't do anything anymore, it's R and T for locking.

I'd like to pick your brains just one more time please folks.

1) How do i re arm my Hydra's

2) I want to pilot the Blackfoot with the ai as gunner in MP missions & i was wandering if there's a way to get him to aim at markers on the map? - I will support players on the ground & i want them to tell me where the enemy infantry are so i can ten engage. At the moment the only way i can get the ai gunner to aim at them is if im in the same group as the player on the ground! Is there another way or must this be it until i can get a human gunner?

Many thanks in advance folks

I'd like to pick your brains just one more time please folks.

1) How do i re arm my Hydra's

2) I want to pilot the Blackfoot with the ai as gunner in MP missions & i was wandering if there's a way to get him to aim at markers on the map? - I will support players on the ground & i want them to tell me where the enemy infantry are so i can ten engage. At the moment the only way i can get the ai gunner to aim at them is if im in the same group as the player on the ground! Is there another way or must this be it until i can get a human gunner?

Many thanks in advance folks

Players can mark targets with a laser designator, AI should engage them without any further doing.

Just place an AI blackfoot in the editor, place yourself as a JTAC unit and enable the laser.

Cheers grumpy, I will make sure the player on the ground has one when we try it out.

I believe I've solved all of these problems with the custom action scripts I built into my Close Air Support (Day2) mission. This is also a good training tool for practicing pilot, gunner, or JTAC. The missions are all very dynamic, so I've flown it hundreds of times and I'm still enjoying it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

If you're interested in fixed wing CAS ops and training, my Close Air Support (ECAS) mission not only taxes situational awareness, communications, and gunning skills.. but also has a live fire range that can be a challenge. Be sure to stop by my custom rearming point to pick up some ordinance before going to the range, as the mission starts out guns only.

Hi guys im after some advice & tips on how to get the best out of this chopper please.

Basicly whats going on is i will be teamed with an AI pilot or Co pilot (not sure yet) & i want to provide CAS for some mates.