Sign in to follow this  
sancron

Bohemia on the right way with Arma 3?

Is Bohemia going the right way with Arma 3?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Is Bohemia going the right way with Arma 3?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

They are doing lot of fancy stuff:

- Zeus

- Launcher

- Bootcamp

- Karts

but i couldnt care less about ANY of those.

I want good core gameplay, some new features and bugfixes.

- weaponrest

- improved medicsystem (for example: even in ArmA2, you had to crawl when u got shot in the legs...)

- throwing/rolling grenades better then a clear placeholder

- why a copilot/ pilot cannot eject at choppers eg.?

There i see much too less done, and what is done is not good.

So NO, clearly not going in the right direction.

My right direction is:

Realism and PVP playability.

Edited by KrAziKilla

I have confidence they are going the right way. Way back I remember there was alot of people wanting to have some sort of launcher. I don't think they were expecting a steam one, but nonetheless. They are indeed checking certain things off certain peoples wishlists, albeit slowly.

Also, I don't think they have as many "options" as one might believe. They can't just choose to put a feature in, or fix certain issues. Sometimes there is limited things they can do with the resources available, even if those resources are pretty significant. 1000 ovens doesn't bake a pie any quicker than one. Basically what I am trying to say is that as always it will take time for arma 3 to fully realize its full potential, and, this might not be the right/wrong way, but rather somewhat of the only way.

My right direction is:

Realism and PVP playability.

What do you mean by PvP playability? Because me some friends played some pvp this past weekend on dev branch and it was more than playable. In fact is was the most intense fights we've had because of the fatigue and weapon sway changes.

I don't tell my dentist what tooth to cap first when he's got both hands in my mouth.

Bis has got like 50 pages of dev branch changelogs ..., nearly a new version every working day.

They build the game; I play it.

They cannot add a extreme fatigue system and extreme weapon sway, when there is no possibility to counter it. In words: weapon rest.

I am a huge fan of realism, and i always try to use mods to make the game harder or more real.

But this update is just over the top.

The devs are goin from one extreme to anotherone.

- 1st u could run way too far, now you hardly can run 50meters.

- 1st u could shoot right after running 300m, now you have to wait 1minute after running 30meters, so that the sway is fine again.

Why not go somewhere to a healthy middle??

Not sure what changed in the matter of body armor, but yesterday i needed often more then 5 hits to center mass on OPFOR soldiers with MX, to get them down. (range around 20 meters)

Flying with the pawnee, you now have to directy hit the enemy so they die. 3 meters next to your HE rocket impact they will still live.

The game for me, as mostly infantry player, is broken with this new update. (Its the first time, since my 14 years of Operationflashpoint, Arma Game time)

I encourage you to test your suspicions in a controlled editor environment in the most exact conditions. You might be surprised what you could find out by that (for example: "I am not as good at aiming as I thought I am" etc.)

I don't tell my dentist what tooth to cap first when he's got both hands in my mouth.

Bis has got like 50 pages of dev branch changelogs ..., nearly a new version every working day.

They build the game; I play it.

Well fucking said.

Of course I will always find things to bitch and complain about, but in the end what this guys says is the truth. Its their game and you can't say they haven't been putting hard work into it.

- Zeus

- Launcher

- Bootcamp

- Karts

Yeah, on the other hand they implement a new fatigue system and completely forget to adjust AI behavior to the new fatigue system.

Then they add repair offroads with fancy beacons and guess what? They are non functional, you need to add scripts to make them work.

That's like buying a car with a fancy screen in the dash but the manufacturer forgot to add a switch so you can't actually use it.

Way beyond me.

Well fucking said.

Of course I will always find things to bitch and complain about, but in the end what this guys says is the truth. Its their game and you can't say they haven't been putting hard work into it.

^ i second that.

This game has come a long way from Alpha, and it's getting good, and it will ONLY continue to get better. As long as we provide productive feedback that BIS has to go off of, then we can shape the course of Arma 3 ourselves, as the community is a big part of the production. Now, that's not to say, though, that we can request flying pick cows and they'll add it. It has to make sense.

People wanted Optimization since the start, and they did it good, yet people still want optimization? You can only go so for with a game, until you realize maybe it's time to get a better computer. That's just an example though, so if you want something, the best thing to do is get the information based on real life existence.

Sway, and Fatigue, will likely be tweaked, and other things will be fixed and tweaked as well. In end game, Arma 3 is going in the right direction. And don't you bring up Arma 2, because i have a mid end computer and Arma 3 runs better on High graphics and full view distance with allot more going on, than Arma 2 on low with half view distance, and less going on, and there are alot of glitches still existent in Arma 2. Arma 3 is indeed heading in the right direction. Content and Improvements are well to come.

That's like buying a car with a fancy screen in the dash but the manufacturer forgot to add a switch so you can't actually use it.

Way beyond me.

script is the switch :D

The road might be the right one, lets just hope it´s not blocked off by blizzards and landslides once BI eventually starts getting there.

Bohemia is heading at the right direction. I just take this stage as a beta stage just like Arma 2 was. Somewhere around when the expansion have ad couple patches Arma 3 will show it's true side.

AI and weapon sway needs to be tweaked, weapon resting added and future campaigns and missions need to take fatigue more in consideration. VR and Zeus are cool additions and they don't sway Arma in the wrong direction.

- Zeus

- Launcher

- Bootcamp

- Karts

- throwing/rolling grenades better then a clear placeholder

Well, some of us have absolutely loved Zeus etc, and it has completely changed the way some of us play.

Just practice with grenades. I have absolutely no problem with how throwing grenades work. HE = short throw, V40 = long throw.

^ i second that.

This game has come a long way from Alpha, and it's getting good, and it will ONLY continue to get better. As long as we provide productive feedback that BIS has to go off of, then we can shape the course of Arma 3 ourselves, as the community is a big part of the production. Now, that's not to say, though, that we can request flying pick cows and they'll add it. It has to make sense.

People wanted Optimization since the start, and they did it good, yet people still want optimization? You can only go so for with a game, until you realize maybe it's time to get a better computer. That's just an example though, so if you want something, the best thing to do is get the information based on real life existence.

Sway, and Fatigue, will likely be tweaked, and other things will be fixed and tweaked as well. In end game, Arma 3 is going in the right direction. And don't you bring up Arma 2, because i have a mid end computer and Arma 3 runs better on High graphics and full view distance with allot more going on, than Arma 2 on low with half view distance, and less going on, and there are alot of glitches still existent in Arma 2. Arma 3 is indeed heading in the right direction. Content and Improvements are well to come.

Arma 2 OA was very solid whith patch 1.60 but at that time ArmA 3 was at the horizon. The same will hapen with this one. When it gets "mature" we´ll have the next series less than a year..

As much as I appreciate these neat new features I dare say no, the game is not going in the right direction.

A greater level of feature based detail is what's really needed not all these UI options and go karts??

For example, I would love to see accurate hit point wounds, bleed out, broken limbs, exploding body parts, medical procedures, improved team control, more varied weapon interaction, multiple and varied animations for each class. Unique stances, body sizes, height & weight. Different stats in soldiers, different attributes like accuracy, speed, speciality, strength, stamina, fear etc all uniquely attributed to each soldier. Including ranking up, and medal awards for valour, bravery, courage. The ability to load your marines in the editor, change their names etc.. This is what makes the game deep.

Edited by Dav

I dunno.

To me, the damage system sucks soooo bad.

The new features are cool - and some more to come with DLCs.

The campaign was not that great.

There was no bootcamp like in the other games - teach every feature of the game (hopper, plane, command, halo, etc...).

The editor is missing stuff - need addon to have them all.

Futuristic / protype gear - whereas there were still a lot of countries to explore. Bored of US, ok: so, why not working on the French army - which is the first european army? German army would have been cool too.

The new maps are good however.

Judging by the initiative seen in the Bootcamp update, and dev build, I can say that they are making a positive improvement.

I want more content, currently this millitary sandbox lacks of equipment.

I really liked the VBS1 Addon discs. Why is it just for VBS? and not for arma too? I would pay a lot of money for an GOOD and BIG US ARMY/US Marines/US Special Forces/French Army/British Army/... Pack or Islandpacks, in the size between Stratis and altis with different settings.

I dont need a campagin, or missions in suchs packs like in the baf dlc. Just Units, vehicles, static weapons to have a full faction to create dozens of mission by myself :o

Looks like the lead design of the ArmA series is more and more influenced by DAYZ, Altis no life and all that casual stuff.

We seriously considering moving to VBS 3 PE, hoping they push it out at last.

Edited by Major_Shepard

Looks like the lead design of the ArmA series is more and more influenced by DAYZ, Altis no life and all that casual stuff.

We seriously considering moving to VBS 3 PE, hoping they push it out at last.

What do user created missions have to do with the lead design of the series? How has Arma 3 been designed to cater towards those missions, any more than any other game in the series has? We don't even have female civilians, while the other games did. We also have less civilian vehicles and weaponry. If you ask me, that's a step away from Altis Life.

I'd say, despite the bugs and flaws this project has it's on the right course. You always need to keep in mind that this is not a standard FPS. It's far more than a game to me: It's a platform, and a hobby too I must admit. And I think BIS is working really close with the community. Feedback tracker, active forums and sometimes you even get to exchange messages with the staff directly. I've had a few nice PM and E-Mail conversations with some guys at Bohemia lately. I'd never expect a programmer at EA (do the even employ their own programmers? :confused:) to contact me personally because I posted this and that on some forum. It's just awesome and way beyond normal customer service.

Of course, I can understand complaints of the people who just want to play and not develop content by themselves. It must be really difficult to find a balance between good gameplay and more interfaces / possibilities for us hobby modders or mission makers. And being employed in software development myself from time to time I know some of the struggles a dev has to fight when dealing with clients. Except BI-Devs are not facing a small committee of stakeholders or a single client: They're facing thousands of paying customers with thousands of different opinions on how this and that should be done. And I'd say they're doing a damn good job considering the circumstances.

Arma is not a standard COTS software product (game), it's a living, breathing project / framework / game / anything the user wants it to be. I can spend four or eight hours with the latest CoD for around 60€ and get decent entertainment for that time but I already had more than 1000 good / stressful / great / complicated / inspiring / frustrating / awesome hours with Arma 3, and I've just paid around 15€ for the Alpha back then. It was totally worth it and even if the devs screw up here and there (yeah, implementing that weapon-sway-without-being-able-to-rest-it-thing wasn't BI's brightest idea) I will continue to support this platform by providing feedback, content and help to keep the community alive. :)

I am not speaking about the missions but the "spirit" of the game:

- massive lake of content (compared to A2)

- massive lake of credibility of the ArmA3 story (NATO, CSAT forces etc)

- shitty new stuff (Virtual Reality), shitty DLC incoming

- complete lake of badly needed features like weapon resting, fast roping...

ArmA gathered mature players since OFP time. These guys want quality content and are ready to pay for it.

Edited by Major_Shepard

Unfortunately some things they have added makes the experience worse instead of better. A3 has now AI with more complex pathing, result is that 100+ AI on a huge map already causes noticable performance drops. In A2 I could easily have 200+ AI on the map (with a far worse PC) doing their thing, now on the biggest map ever you can only have much less AI on the map as in A2. Creating large missions is not really doable anymore unless you use spawning AI and on 1 location at a time. Arma 3 is a big 'empty map' experience. I personally also have nothing with the campaign (with spawning AI), nor the scenario's (granted, only played a few of them). I also don't like the fact that they added Zeus with big drumrolls that adds nothing to the single player experience.. At least they could have upgraded the editor to have 3D too. For the people that are focussed on single player it is a bit dissapointing so far. And as I can't stand MP anymore in ArmA, SP is the only thing I still play. And there are a whole bucnh of reported things from early alpha stage that still have not been fixed/improved, yet a lot of trivial things have been added and improved instead. I don't know how to explain it really, but I am not feeling the vibe that I had with ArmA 2. Feels like ArmA is drifting off in a different direction.

Unfortunately some things they have added makes the experience worse instead of better. A3 has now AI with more complex pathing, result is that 100+ AI on a huge map already causes noticable performance drops. In A2 I could easily have 200+ AI on the map (with a far worse PC) doing their thing, now on the biggest map ever you can only have much less AI on the map as in A2. Creating large missions is not really doable anymore unless you use spawning AI and on 1 location at a time. Arma 3 is a big 'empty map' experience.

And people bitched ENDLESSLY on how the ArmA AI was dumb and fixes were super urgently needed, this game was a joke because of AI, blablablaaaa, you name it... So BI implemented "AI with more complex pathing". But.... but.....

shitty DLC incoming

How do you know it's shitty when we barely know much about it, aside from the fact that it's coming with features that people have been asking for in the series since it began?

To me, you sound like a person who wants the game to be terrible. Adjust your attitude. Calling the DLC shitty this early is just pure pessimism. You even call the DLC shitty and then talk about missing features that may well be implemented with the DLC.

I ask you again, how is the spirit of the game so different that it's moving away from hardcore players? We just had a patch that made the game more unforgiving of run and gun playstyles, forcing you to think tactically and play deliberately. I also don't see what the spirit of the game has to do with the story's credibility (does it really matter?) or the lack of content (would you prefer they delayed release by a year just to have more content?) The DLCs and expansion are coming to bring that content, and if you're ready to pay for it that's perfect. How can you be so negative?