Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

Patch 1.24 (Bootcamp Update) Feedback

In the player arsenal which I love by the way, great job Bis I can't seem to use binoculars once exported? The binoculars appear in the code but not in the game?

I just tried the new "prologue" missions to see what wonderful benefit I gained with this update. Considering it completely broke every single mod and introduced "features" that significantly decreased my enjoyment of the game I was hoping for at least a good couple of missions to play and what do you know...They are unplayable. So with all the negative bs 1.24 forced on us the missions gained are BROKEN. How is that possible? Introducing this update which forces so much negative side effects and it's not even finished. I can't even play the first mission! Within 5 minutes into this new "campaign" I can't proceed any further. Unbelievable.

maybe you can tell people what the problems are?

What problems do you have?

Are you running any mods?

if your running mods/Addons? disable them and check again.

For me 1.24 works perfectly, mini campaign works good, no bugs or anything.

However take in to notice, that ArmA3 like previous games, might have problems if your rig is not good enough to handle it. On weaker PC's for example AI tends to have more problems.

On my rig I have graphics nearly maxed to the end and 5000m view distance, and I don't go below 30 FPS even on large maps with a lot of units. So games runs perfectly, although it might have been better.

I have to admit, I really enjoyed the Prologue. I don't understand what all the commotion about the fatigue system is about. Anyone that has ran up a hill wearing full gear would know that BI's implementation is very "loose".

I played a long specops mission just now to really give the new update a go (dev branch) and I have no issues at all with the fatique settings (on my own character). I played with a character that was packed to the max and I had no problem with running and sprinting from cover to cover. Commanding an AI team does have some issues with fatigue. If you order them to move from A to B over 500+ meters, then they will keep running till they are fully fatiqued and thus move in slomo (not cool when they run in open field). They do not seek cover when they are fatigued (automatically, in danger mode)and I can not see as a team leader from a large distance when they get fatigued so I can't let them hold and cover for a while in a tactical way. Also that you start to move in slowmo it feels a bit weird tbh, I hope BI will find a better way (new animations perhaps) to make and feel you are fatigued/exhausted. Instead of going slowmove you could maybe make the character move more irradic and slows down for a few meters (to catch a deep breath) and then run faster again for a short period.. up to the point you are so exhausted that you can't stand anymore and have to crouch and refill the fatique.

As for the weapons sway, it's okay. I personally like it more challenging cos it was really easy to shoot on target from long distances. Holding breath though is not effective enough and does not couter the sway enough. At least the first 2 seconds of holding breath you should have a almost full steady aim... and then back to more and more sway.

To add thus :0

I would like to be able to see as a team leader (that controls AI) on the screen how much fatigued they are. Maybe a color bar can be added to the unit HUD display that fills up when they get fatigued.

Edited by B00tsy

Had a chat with a good friend after a long time and he expressed how dissapointed he was with Arma update 1.24. He was on vacation and just played some few hours and intantly contacted me to express his sadness about the game development. His computer knowledge is limited but he still plays the game because some friends helped him to set it up. Now for the concern , all his mods are without sounds. Now unfortunately I don't have the time to explain what BI did with the sounds.

What I try to say is that a lot of people have basic knowledge in computer gaming and english. I believe the biggest "disaster" are for people like my friend and now they have a broken game without no clue what to do next. Now I will probably help my friend with the issues and try to update the mods when the configs are done, but think about other players that don't have the opportunity to receive assistance from someone. With that said I really hope the change in the sound engine is worth all the frustration and disappointment.

Edited by Nikiforos

Had a chat with a good friend after a long time and he expressed how dissapointed he was with Arma update 1.24. He was on vacation and just played some few hours and intantly contacted me to express his sadness about the game development. His computer knowledge is limited but he still plays the game because some friends helped him to set it up. Now for the concern , all his mods are without sounds. Now unfortunately I don't have the time to explain what BI did with the sounds.

What I try to say is that a lot of people have basic knowledge in computer gaming and english. I believe the biggest "disaster" are for people like my friend and now they have a broken game without no clue what to do next. Now I will probably help my friend with the issues and try to update the mods when the configs are done, but think about other players that don't have the opportunity to receive assistance from someone. With that said I really hope the change in the sound engine is worth all the frustration and disappointment.

This is going to sound kind of harsh, but downloading and installing mods isn't rocket science. If someone can't figure out how to update their mods, they probably shouldn't be messing around with them in the first place.

Minecraft updates break mods all the time and their playerbase seems to be able to figure this stuff out, despite the fact that a substantial portion of that playerbase is under the age of 15.

Edited by roshnak

This is going to sound kind of harsh, but downloading and installing mods isn't rocket science. If someone can't figure out how to update their mods, they probably shouldn't be messing around with them in the first place.

Minecraft updates break mods all the time and their playerbase seems to be able to figure this stuff out, despite the fact that a substantial portion of that playerbase is under the age of 15.

Regardless of whether it is or isn't rocket science, statistically there will be quite a number of players on the outskirts of ArmA 3 who will be adversely affected by 1.24, and simply you will never hear or see them. Players who may have ArmA 3 and would have joined the forums and 'the community' in 6 months or a year ... Now, some of those players will go elsewhere, as the (to you, little) effort required to adapt to 1.24 update will be above what they care to deal with... As a result, those people who may have joined the community will go elsewhere and you will never see them :). I have already noticed a 5-10% decline in server pop since 1.24.

That is the simple observation of reality.

I suppose it is simply whether BIS thinks the pros of some of the fiddling is worth that expense.

Regardless of whether it is or isn't rocket science, statistically there will be quite a number of players on the outskirts of ArmA 3 who will be adversely affected by 1.24, and simply you will never hear or see them. Players who may have ArmA 3 and would have joined the forums and 'the community' in 6 months or a year ... Now, some of those players will go elsewhere, as the (to you, little) effort required to adapt to 1.24 update will be above what they care to deal with... As a result, those people who may have joined the community will go elsewhere and you will never see them :). I have already noticed a 5-10% decline in server pop since 1.24.

That is the simple observation of reality.

I suppose it is simply whether BIS thinks the pros of some of the fiddling is worth that expense.

Right, well the question is, then, should BIS not make improvements to the game that will ultimately give modders more tools to work with in the name of not confusing people that, quite frankly, will probably be confused no matter what?

Like, I just don't understand what some people expect BIS to have done in this situation. Modders seemed very happy with the new capabilities they were getting from this change. BIS announced that the patch would necessitate updating existing weapon mods a month ahead of time, told modders what they would have to do to update their addons (add like 7 lines to the config), and had the updates in the dev branch and release client weeks ahead of time, so that modders could fix their addons.

Anyone who was able to find and install addons would, presumably, upon launching their game and finding that their addon weapons had no sound, be capable of Google searching "arma 3 update mods no sound" or similar and finding out what had happened from these forums. They would then learn that they have to download the updated versions of their addons.

I don't feel like it's unreasonable for a video game company to expect basic computer literacy from people using computers.

They need to visualize the amount of accumulated fatigue like they do in VR Training. Such as a HUD element that ranges from 0% to -%100 to indicate how impaired you are.

If you make things ambiguous thinking it's more immersive... but the player can't figure it out, they'll start filling in the blanks of what they don't understand with assumptions... and more often than not they'll assume the worst, or take the more negative view of what they think is going on.

Managed to spoil the game, Looks like the soldier has AIDS.

This fatigue is unreal, I'm military army and there is not a soldier thus becomes exhausted just walking 200 meters??

The developers managed to "destroy a very good game" is now virtually impossible to go into combat with "the disease" that soldiers have, could be expelled the army ....

Edited by Reluxstudio

The bootcamp was good, love the VR-world too and all the new facewear etc, those small things are important (to me)

But... the weapon sway is just awful, i've never seen anything like it (i've been running with guns and 30kg+ equipment for years) first it was like michael J fox using a rifle, all shaky and very glitchy, now it's like a bruised up drunken sailor and i mean really smashed up out on the sea, and all that after just 50-100meters? and i understand that you move slower when you're tierd, it's pretty obvious, but bohemia with all respect, what were you guys thinking with when you made the slower phased movement a slowmotion effect off regular running? I'ts doesn't just look bad, it feels bad and it is very very frustrating to play a game you love and have all these updates that are almost destroying the game.

Can't we just get a server option with different fatique modes? so the servers and players can chose for on their own. like Fatique mode: Easy, Normal, UnrealisticDrunkenSailorAtAStomySea.

I know it is an simulator and you guys are struggling for maximum realism (I LOVE IT) But things like this just takes all the fun out of it, honeslty, i only speak for myself but i know more people would agree on just easy up on the fatique system, it's supposed to be fun to play and it really isn't right now.

Managed to spoil the game, Looks like the soldier has AIDS.

This fatigue is unreal, I'm military army and there is not a soldier thus becomes exhausted just walking 200 meters??

The developers managed to "destroy a very good game" is now virtually impossible to go into combat with "the disease" that soldiers have, could be expelled the army ....

The soldiers in A3 are pretty much super soldiers. T

. I mean it'd suck if you were anything less.

Perhaps BIS should actually make the default movespeed walking though, just to dispel any ideas that moving by default at 13km/h is "walking".

The problem is that some want this game to be super realistic, and the other half wants a game and not an actual simulator. Arma 3 is about to lose players to other games. An option to choose either expert or novice that affect the fatigue, sway etc. are the best way to go and all will be pleased.

And finally if something ain't broke don't fix it BI. How many wanted the fatigue or sound change? There are so many other issues that are voted and nothing happens there. I know that you had the best intentions but you can see all the storm the update 1.24 have created.

Edited by Nikiforos

You call 28 votes quite a lot? There has been tickets with over 1000 votes , so 28 votes is not enough convincing for me :)

You call 28 votes quite a lot? There has been tickets with over 1000 votes , so 28 votes is not enough convincing for me :)

Compared to the number of downvotes - yes, it's a lot.

The thing is mostly not in fatigue but the sway. Still fatigue is too much for now and should be tweaked. But BIS shouldn't touch the weapon sway. Now its impossible to shoot while moving. These suits for hardcore lovers but for tournaments and pvp modes like KOTH or any C&H its unbearable. ARMA lost all dynamics, cqb. I think the sway system should be selectable in individual settings or server settings. It can be like headbob: if u want authenticity - set it on, if u don't - off. Whats the problem?

The thing is mostly not in fatigue but the sway. Still fatigue is too much for now and should be tweaked. But BIS shouldn't touch the weapon sway. Now its impossible to shoot while moving.

That's the thing. It should be impossible to shoot with a scope weapon while moving.

It can be like headbob: if u want authenticity - set it on, if u don't - off.

Does your head actually visibly bob while you're running in real life? No, it doesn't. That's why there's an option to turn it off.

Whats the problem?

The problem is that Arma is supposed to be "hardcore" and it's supposed to discourage running and gunning.

Does your head actually visibly bob while you're running in real life? No, it doesn't. That's why there's an option to turn it off.

The head bod is there to simulate a disruption of concentration which happens while running in real life.

Your eyes will compensate the shakiness of your view in real life but your ability to visually concentrate on your surroundings will be smaller.

Because you don't have to physically run and concentrate on your movement in the game you "need" some workaround to simulate the reduction of your visual concentration.

Of course, for some people it is also an eye candy.

However, I don't want to derail this thread so...

EDIT:

I agree with the rest of your points.

The bootcamp was good, love the VR-world too and all the new facewear etc, those small things are important (to me)

But... the weapon sway is just awful, i've never seen anything like it (i've been running with guns and 30kg+ equipment for years) first it was like michael J fox using a rifle, all shaky and very glitchy, now it's like a bruised up drunken sailor and i mean really smashed up out on the sea, and all that after just 50-100meters? and i understand that you move slower when you're tierd, it's pretty obvious, but bohemia with all respect, what were you guys thinking with when you made the slower phased movement a slowmotion effect off regular running? I'ts doesn't just look bad, it feels bad and it is very very frustrating to play a game you love and have all these updates that are almost destroying the game.

Can't we just get a server option with different fatique modes? so the servers and players can chose for on their own. like Fatique mode: Easy, Normal, UnrealisticDrunkenSailorAtAStomySea.

I know it is an simulator and you guys are struggling for maximum realism (I LOVE IT) But things like this just takes all the fun out of it, honeslty, i only speak for myself but i know more people would agree on just easy up on the fatique system, it's supposed to be fun to play and it really isn't right now.

I fully agree with the words of our friend

And as said above, I am of the army marches do 5 Km. with more than 45kg of equipment, ammunition, weapons, vests and so on, and so do not get "sick" as in the game, running, overdrive, with the same 45kg, I walk a distance of over 1 km, about 1.5 km starting to get sick enough.

Just a note, I am 51 years old and captain.

I fully agree with the words of our friend

And as said above, I am of the army marches do 5 Km. with more than 45kg of equipment, ammunition, weapons, vests and so on, and so do not get "sick" as in the game, running, overdrive, with the same 45kg, I walk a distance of over 1 km, about 1.5 km starting to get sick enough.

Just a note, I am 51 years old and captain.[/quote

Woodhouse? Is it you. Get and make me some eggs Benedict.

Agree with what is being said here also. Long time player. Who only plays on hardcore co op servers. It needs to be toned down.. and not in 4 weeks time a quick path now. Poor woodhouse is 51 he can't be waiting around.

Is really necessary to ridicule the option you do not favoritize?

For me the question is: does the current system lead to unrealistically accurate fire? The pre 1.24 system clearly did. Can you imagine better solution to that problem?

Have encountered this myself . It takes a lot of time helping others out. This is why that arma bis launcher needs to be more of a focus point for bis. They want to help new players buy arma and get addicted. Having a proper bis launcher to make all servers available to even a computer noob is the way I can't stress it enough.

With communities that pay server bills every month and would like more player base, players that don't know arma or have computer knowledge. The launcher is the key to open up all of armas potential.

To be fair The sound mod breakage could not be helped it was outlined by bis months ago and again. Good Mod men have worked on it "lord jarhead" deserves his credit. Again like I said a launcher would have made such a change a lot less problematic.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

Is really necessary to ridicule the option you do not favoritize?

For me the question is: does the current system lead to unrealistically accurate fire? The pre 1.24 system clearly did. Can you imagine better solution to that problem?

I play co op. Ai now has aimbot and shooting any stance over players. What is the alternative? Make the ai even stupider?

Co op people can no longer have fun engaging games.

This new fatigue sway system only serves people who fight prone all the time with grass off. Or in urban combat specific design missions. People simply want it toned down. Not removed.

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

It would have been fairer to tone it down now. And add option to have it hardcore like it is? That way Everyone is happy. It's not that difficult.

in game I can walk kilometers without incurring fatigue... are you sure you're 'walking' and not running (not sprinting)? Because by default the character ingame moves in running speed, you press shift to walk.... so I think the fatigue level is quite accurate.... Just be glad currently you can recover fatigue really fast. Just stay still...