Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

Patch 1.24 (Bootcamp Update) Feedback

It's funny to see how this new swing effect can to be awesome for who belived to be a professional gamer in full SIM,and so ridicouls who say the opposite.

If i must to be honest i see it so irrealistic and so far from what can to be...credible.

But i know that mind to be user friendly gamer or arcade gamer for you.

If after 13 years that i follow this titles you think about it...what can i say?....You right!....I am not ready for this title..you are the new generation community that belived in it.

But let's me say that swing mechanism it's so atrocious and whitout any logic true...if comparate in real life of course!

...but it's just a game...right?...not a sim!

Edited by j4you

sry BIS - goes on to make the game with unnecessary, exaggerated crap broken ^ ^

i never never has this shit in my active army time ( infantry ) .... absolutely exaggerated...

play this shit self ..............

why are you doing always new unnecessary shit to (has nothing to do with the real life) - rather than what the game really needs, after all these years to handle times - damn ............ ........................:mad:

in b4 closed

1. aren't there enough threats that focus on that?

2. survive... adapt... win... and stop bitching

grz

btw: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180350-Patch-1-24-(Bootcamp-Update)-Feedback

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180382-New-Weaponsway-is-way-to-much-And-holding-breath-bug

Edited by Cthulhu616

I like the new fatigue and sway, however I think it is about 10 months too late to implement it.

There are some things (gameplay-restrictive elements) which are acceptable to do around game launch that are unacceptable to do 10 months after launch.

That is, of course, with the goal being player-base retention.

Regardless of the merits of the alterations in 1.24, or your opinion of them, the effect will be seen via slightly lower player-counts on public and also private servers.

If the goal was to shed a small portion of the player-base, or at least make changes knowing that a number of players will leave ArmA 3, then 1.24 was surely a successful update!

If the same dev effort expended on sway and fatigue were expended on weapon-resting, medical system, etc... The tone of this thread would be substantially different, even if in 1.24 all the community received was a status update on the dev process regarding weapon-resting and medical system, with an estimation of release in 1.26 or 1.28.

It's too bad, because Virtual Arsenal is great addition to the ArmA 3 vanilla game and it's being overshadowed by the current discussion.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Haven't read all the comments here. But my opinion after a short test is that the update is okay (so far i've tested it). On steam I see a lot of screaming about it, but I didn't notice game braking issues at all. Only issue I encountered as a sniper is that holding breath does almost nothing to stop the sway (while prone). Before the update while sniping long ranges you could hold your breath and then had half a second of almost no sway (which was good), now the sway continues. And if you are sniping a target from 1400 meters the sway while looking through scope is several meters around where you are aiming at even while holding breath, so thats to much. Long range shots will now either be lucky shots or you need to take a lot of time to fire one shot on/close to target. Holding your breath should have a bigger effect (for a second) to compensate for the big sway.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Weapon sway is not great, holding breath seems to have almost no effect. Need bipods/resting for this new system. The fixed sway when stopping and sighting up encourages camping. I like the idea of separating grip/breath though.

F* bipods, you don't need them. They only need to make holding breath working again so that you at least hav a second to aim on target. Problem with bipods is that it will become to easy again and you will get tons of people firing heavy weapons without recoil/sway, there is no challenge or skill in that. Holding breath is the way.

Edited by B00tsy
grammar

it's hard not to bitch, when a game that is sold at full price, game that has been released for a year, is still in such an unstable state

Just ran a quick test, on a custom mission from editor (so no fancy scripts) i just witnessed my stamina bar increasing by chunks instantly by being fired at and also when being hit. I experienced the same when playing on multiplayer, regardless of the server.

If more people confirm it doesn't drop for them, i guess it has something to do with some addons i'm running but i don't have anything affecting stamina there.

In Arma 2 there is fatigue increase for AI and player when bullets impact near them. This might have been fixed and reintroduced in Arma 3, but I highly doubt BIS added suppression effect for passing by bullets without making a marketing buzz around it, because it's a great and long requested feature.

• Decreased general sway and breathing distortion speeds by 20%
  • Decreased lateral sway movement by 20%
  • Increased time window of holding breath to 8 seconds (previously 6) but also slightly decreased the time needed for holding breath to take full effect. Breathing speed values restored to previous values, speed decrease has meaning only for lateral sway.

Quoted from today's dev branch changelog.

Looks like weapon sway is being tweaked. (Lateral = sideways btw.)

I like the new fatigue system and weapon sway.

If you stop carrying useless stuff, manage your gear and behaviour on approaching the enemy you can get a huge advantage over other players.

Played a lot PVP since the update and it makes me just laugh to see many people are not able to hit anymore. Easy kills there. Just trow away your useless stuff and you are just fine. I never use helmets for example. In most situation they are useless. Most helmets weight is 40-60 mass. Thats 4-6 6.5 magazines more. Use the new Arsenal and plan your gear and your equipment.

People should start to rethink and stop crying about the new feature. Arma 3 has improved a lot and is pretty user-friendly. No need to go more and more casual.

I pray to god they don't change it.

It's time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Quoted from today's dev branch changelog.

Looks like weapon sway is being tweaked. (Lateral = sideways btw.)

I tested it like an hour ago and holding breathing with a sniper rifle did almost nothing. 8 seconds is to long btw, it should be effective for like 1 or 2 seconds (when it works again).

Ohh nevermind, tested it on main brainch.

Just ran a quick test, on a custom mission from editor (so no fancy scripts) i just witnessed my stamina bar increasing by chunks instantly by being fired at and also when being hit. I experienced the same when playing on multiplayer, regardless of the server.

If more people confirm it doesn't drop for them, i guess it has something to do with some addons i'm running but i can't think of anything affecting stamina there.

Are you playing with mod? like tpw suppression or some other player suppression system? I just tested myself, with mod ASR_AI and bCombat and CBA and st_staminabar. I don't experience any fatigue increase when under fire

If more people confirm it doesn't drop for them, i guess it has something to do with some addons i'm running but i can't think of anything affecting stamina there.

I don't know if it's some difficulty setting, a script, a mod or your own adrenaline, but I can't see any impact on the fatigue.

A video:

Sorry about the small numbers in the corner. Use fullscreen and highest resolution to see that there's no change in speed of fatigue increase when I'm shot at.

The same thing happened when an enemy shot at very close distance and even when the bullets landed on my feet.

Edited by Greenfist

I dislike the way how the new fatigue influences running speed of units.

Once the fatigue value hits 0.6 (~40 seconds of running for a squad leader unit) the speed drops down to 11km/h.

If the unit (again a squad leader for testing purposes) was running for 120 seconds the fatigue will hit 0.9 and slow the unit down to 6-7km/h.

Now imagine having to do a combat evac when the entire squad is running for their lives with a whopping 6km/h (which is a wee bit faster than walking).

Makes me feel like I'm watching an average 90s action movie slow-mo scene.

Even if you're exhausted and carry 30-40kg of gear (which the tested squad leader unit doesn't) you should be able to do more than 6km/h.

Not to mention that the new fatigue system is being ignored by AI units, since they're not aware that they're fatigued. They won't take it into account and try to catch some breath etc.

I dislike the way how the new fatigue influences running speed of units.

Once the fatigue value hits 0.6 (~40 seconds of running for a squad leader unit) the speed drops down to 11km/h.

If the unit (again a squad leader for testing purposes) was running for 120 seconds the fatigue will hit 0.9 and slow the unit down to 6-7km/h.

Now imagine having to do a combat evac when the entire squad is running for their lives with a whopping 6km/h (which is a wee bit faster than walking).

Makes me feel like I'm watching an average 90s action movie slow-mo scene.

Even if you're exhausted and carry 30-40kg of gear (which the tested squad leader unit doesn't) you should be able to do more than 6km/h.

Actually, when the fatigue level is 0.9-1.0, your max speed is 7 km/h and 9 km/h if you lower your gun.

This level of exhaustion represents a state where you're nearly passed out, so 9 km/h is a lot more than the average walking speed (5-6 km/h).

Not to mention that the new fatigue system is being ignored by AI units, since they're not aware that they're fatigued. They won't take it into account and try to catch some breath etc.

That seems true, I've made the same observation. I was following my AI squadleader, he was continiously running (sometimes sprinting) towards our objective and rapidly lost movement speed while I took a break from time to time and was still able to outrun him.

That seems true, I've made the same observation. I was following my AI squadleader, he was continiously running (sometimes sprinting) towards our objective and rapidly lost movement speed while I took a break from time to time and was still able to outrun him.

This is a problem indeed.

On a side note of the update... why does BI add the stupid achievements? I get an achievement for subbing to a workshop scenario and for updating one. Come on BI, only 12 year olds might care about those kind meaningless achievements. If it were real achievements it would be one thing, but achievements for subbing to a mission?

the weapon sway is very noticeable, i been away for a while. Not sure if i like or not. suppose it makes you think about your fatugue a bit more. and i m sure if a soldier runs has A$$ off he wont then beable to shoot at his best , being out of breath.

s

On a side note of the update... why does BI add the stupid achievements? I get an achievement for subbing to a workshop scenario and for updating one. Come on BI, only 12 year olds might care about those kind meaningless achievements. If it were real achievements it would be one thing, but achievements for subbing to a mission?

I've been asking myself the same thing. But I do that in every game that has these stupid achievements. I don't get why every new game needs to have them, what are they good for? Sure, they don't hurt anybody despite having an ugly message box popping up (depends on the game of course)... But why? oO

exactly the AIs do not feel tiredness and does not have the balance of weapons only our soldiers congratulations BIS

Its because a lot of people does not know that it is even possible to do some of the stuff that achievements promote.

So when somebody like that checks his Arma achievements he should realize he missed some features to test.

Its because a lot of people does not know that it is even possible to do some of the stuff that achievements promote.

So when somebody like that checks his Arma achievements he should realize he missed some features to test.

You have to be blind to not know there is a workshop with missions... it's featured on the store page. Bu maybe it's a real achievement for some people to click on a button, I don't know.

@Greenfist and @Variable

Ok screw whatever i wrote about the fatigue suppression thing, i tried to disable mods one by one and apparently it was related to something being triggered in TPW_MODS, probably tpw_fall during the fall animations and not sure what would cause the bullet crack to increase the fatigue. After disabling the mod i'm not experiencing the same effect.

I was never aware of it, however the effect probably became more obvious with this 1.24 update due to weapon sway and fatigue being tweaked in general.

You have to be blind to not know there is a workshop with missions... it's featured on the store page. Bu maybe it's a real achievement for some people to click on a button, I don't know.

You have to be incredibly elitist to have a need to write such stuff.

Imagine there are newbie players that does not have a lot of time to check everything at once.

There is much more achievements in the game (for exporting stuff from the Arsenal etc.).

I know it hurts your elitist pseudo-hardcore-player feelings but let the others play the game as they want to. It is not like if achievements was influencing gameplay...

Get a life.