Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

Patch 1.24 (Bootcamp Update) Feedback

New to 1.24: if you're hurt, your weapon will sway more. Ok. BUT, swaying gun while prone? Seriously? Didn't like it.

Also, PLEASE, change the priority on actions: movement takes precedence, always! For instance, if you're crouched, and begin to reload your weapon and suddenly the enemy starts to shoot at you, let the avatar MOVE. I don't want to wait until it finishes his "reload movements" until I can move again (bacause at the time I'll be dead, for certain).

Take away these two things, and ARMA3 will be a bliss.

Cheers.

This update has made Arma 3 unplayable for me. I hardly ever play with vanilla units after beating the campaign. I use a lot of mods for friendly and enemy units, weapons, vehicles ect..basically everything. Now every single aircraft, vehicle and weapon is useless with no sounds. So now I have to go and find the mod and re-download just to get it working again. Thats a huge inconvenience considering how many different mods im using. Also, how many of these mods wont ever be upgraded so they are now permanently broken? Nice, there goes a chunk of the game. So, whats the benefit I gain for having to do this sh*t and surely losing parts of the game? A bootcamp to play long after mastering everything it will "teach"? A worthless (to me) virtual reality room? Oh, it must be the absurdly restricting stamina and weapon sway changes.

This is terrible. To force me to accept a pointless bootcamp that wont benefit me in any way and hamper the game overall with the new "take five steps up a hill and your dead tired and breathing like a overweight man after sprinting 500 meters" stupidity. Now my Navy Seal recon team can't even jog across a field without being completely exhausted. Well if they were actually playable!

How do you completely change the game mechanics this long after release? Not in a beneficial way but instead in such a drastically restricting way. All this update did, for me, was to interrupt my enjoyment of Arma 3 by forcing me to accept gameplay mechanics that decrease my enjoyment while temporarily (hopefully) removing every unit, weapon, and vehicle I used and probably making some permanently unplayable. Thanks a lot.

Storm in a tea cup here people, move along.

Also, saying the game lacks content is extremely naive.

Of course, it was not an easy decision to affect existing UGC, but we believe the longer-term benefits outweigh this (we hope temporary) issue. It's true that sounds have been somewhat under-prioritised in the past but, with our new audio team in place, we hope to move in the direction of better vanilla sounds and better configuration options for modders.

Do whatever you guys need to do to make the vanilla game better. If mods get broke, then so be it. If new features get lots of negative feedback, then so be it. I'd rather change than none at all.

zeus almighty god strike the hell out of the people who have published this update because its horrible in every sense of the word.

That was seriously the funniest thing I read all day :232:. It softened the blow of this horrific update temporarily destroying my game and all of my most precious mods... God speed to you most precious mod makers in fixing your fine addons.

Also, saying the game lacks content is extremely naive.

Lemme pick you up in that Blufor heavy transport chopper then...

Enjoying the update.

Interested in the force difficulty for scenarios anyone know more info on this ?

Worst thing about the update :- It didnt fix some of the most annoying bugs from my point of view.

Best thing about the update :- Watching all the Sniper-Pilot-At-Medics cry because they are too heavy now :)

Best thing about the update :- Watching all the Sniper-Pilot-At-Medics cry because they are too heavy now :)

It's a beautiful thing. One guy thought he would take a carryall backpack completely filled with ammo for his Zafir, and a Titan AT. Bitched for the whole mission.

Personally I think the new update is great, and I think BI is finally starting to make some headway at making this game better. Having weapon resting will be great, I assume that will come along in the Marksman update.

It's a beautiful thing. One guy thought he would take a carryall backpack completely filled with ammo for his Zafir, and a Titan AT. Bitched for the whole mission.

Indeed :)

Yes I look forward to an official weapon rest DLC, most of the modded ones I have tried are not quite right.

They either reduce the sway way too much or allow you to move too far and/or too fast while weapon is rested. (CSE is about the best Ive tried although the sway reduced is too much too quick for me).

Yes I too like the direction BI is taking with this update.

Edited by BL1P
Additional comments

Running in slow motion makes the game better? A bootcamp for a game that's over a year old made the game better? Running fifty meters then flailing around like a drunken sailor makes the game better? Then trying to shoot AI that take five rounds of 5.56 and sometimes four rounds of 7.62 makes the game better? Meanwhile they only need to shoot you once through a wall and grass? I'm beginning to realize there are two kinds of people on this forum. The ones who actually play the game (over 2100 hours here) and those who like to post on the forums. After talking with my unit I can speak for all of us when I say this last patch has ruined Arma 3 for now. We all agreed that the game is still clearly in Beta form and that rather than downloading dozens of mods repeatedly while the Devs essentially rewrite the engine one small piece at a time. We would rather go back to A2 and enjoy playing the game, rather waiting to find out what the new patch will break/ruin. To that end we will be taking down our A3 server at the end of the month and returning to our old platform.

2511 hours here keep playing m8 ya might catch up :)

If you want to play a game that plays like Arma 2, you already know what to do. To suggest that anyone who likes this update doesn't play the game absurd. It's nice that you have a group of people to play with that all agree with your views. Good cohesion. But that doesn't mean everyone agrees.

To simulate fatigue by just slowing motion is not a good way, should by reducing the pace distance and pace frequency together.

Lemme pick you up in that Blufor heavy transport chopper then...

That's seriously the best you can come up with? There was no heavy lift helo in Arma 2 vanilla either.

BluFor have a transport helo, as do the other teams. BIS picked their content pieces to fit into the storyline they had decided upon for this iteration of the Arma games. Just because your favourite military toy didn't make it into the game doesn't make the game shit.

Goddamn some people are so precious.

Nice "Bootcamp" update, a bit late (almost one year after the official game release) but I hope this will address many players who found the game too complex to play and learn.

Virtual Arsenal is a super fast way to check gear/equipment and works with addons too. I'm positively surprised by the new fatigue / sway system, will indeed slow a bit the pace of infantry combats in arma 3, less run & insta-aim right clicking. Apparently now you can be suppressed from incoming fire (fatigue increase dramatically when player is under fire).

I like the weapon swaying and fatigue, makes your soldier movements in general feel less "perfect".

Nice to see some new gear (face masks, new guerrilla uniform, flare gun etc), and apparently there is a new "map" (Virtual Reality) available but i still have to test it.

As some users already stated, i cannot finish the second part "Common Denominator" of the Prologue Campaign: after the sprint for the fatigue demonstration you are supposed to shot the targets again but they seem invulnerable.

I had to disable some addons, especially sound ones such as Speed of Sound or JSRS to prevent getting error messages; but that's something that had to be expected with some changes incoming with this update.

Edited by 3lackrose

Apparently now you can be suppressed from incoming fire (fatigue increase dramatically when player is under fire).

Are you sure about that? Is it just suppression occurred when bullets impact in close proximity to the unit as was the case in Arma 2, or also bullets that pass by in the air?

Edited by Variable

I had to disable some addons, especially sound ones such as Speed of Sound or JSRS to prevent getting error messages;

FYI: JSRS has been patched already. Version 2.1b is compatible with the new sound configs.

Are you sure about that? Is it just suppression occurred when bullets impact in close proximity to the unit as was the case in Arma 2, or also bullets that pass by in the air?

I'm sure your fatigue increase when you are being engaged by the enemy, not totally sure if is the nearby bullet crack or passing by. I think it is just the fact that enemy are engaging you though; so maybe it could be some sort of induced "panicking" or stress due to being under fire.

I'm using a stamina bar indicator from Dslyecxi and i was able to see the bar dropping almost instantly from "green" good rest to "red" (fatigued) when being engaged from enemy.

It makes it difficult to "return fire" at them since your aim sway all around in those situations, unless you try to spray and pray. So you have to look for cover and wait for the character to "calm down".

The stamina doesn't seem to drop when friendlies are firing at you. At least not from friendly players.

@MadDogX: Thanks i'm aware of the JSRS 2.1b update, but i was getting error messages anyway concerning "40mm" of some cannons or "distant sound", something like that. I decided to turn off the addon temporarily. It seems to work regardless of that, though.

Edited by 3lackrose

Not sure what people are complaining about with the weapon sway.... its hard to get used to afte ther first couple of shots but after that it went fine for me...

the only solution is.... train harder and become better at shooting.....

and for that BIS also made a solution... the MP Bootcamp Training mission..... where you have to walk across the airfield to get o the shooting range. so very easy do that. run to the shhoting range and keep trying to shoot the targets il you hit them...

I loved the new update to the game and me and the clan 'm in are alleady working hard to create a awesome insignia for the members!

Keep up the good work BIS!

Weapon sway should be toned down in general.

Even completely relaxed there is too much sway. (I certainly don't sway that much holding a rifle)

Being out of breath should have a penalty, I agree, but the sway is too severe and the movement unrealistic. It should be almost completely vertical only.

And being wounded makes you so ineffective and movement so slow that people respawn rather than try to get healed. Maybe the sway could come in waves with the pain...

It would have been great to have a wounded walk animation that looks different from a normal walk.

Going back to movement speed...

The sprint when completely unarmed is the speed the sprint should be even when moderately loaded. Weight carried should just affect the distance you can sprint.

VERY important: Combat pace (sights up while walking) should NOT be tiring.

Edited by EDcase

This update has completely ruined arma 3 for me, the weapon sway has gone to the point where i can no longer snipe while prone even after not moving for 5-10 minutes at a distance of around 500m Due to the amount of sway the devs call "realistic" I have shot multiple rifles at all 3 different stances and I don't have this so called "realistic weapon sway" and real life is as close to realistic as possible. I can no longer play arma 3 due to the fact that it is nearly impossible to aim and i can't get any enjoyment out of not being able to play the game. i had put a few thousand hours into arma 2 and i highly doubt ill be putting anymore hours into arma 3 unless they fix it.

The bootcamp has nothing to do with this if it was the only thing they released in the update i would be 100% fine with it but they had to go and tinker with shit and break it.

Their was nothing wrong with the weapon sway before and i don't know why they changed it. all these people saying it's fine now, have you gone and tried to snipe in koth at a distance of 900m or more ? while prone with nothing else but a sniper.

Serapaxson

VERY important: Combat pace (sights up while walking) should NOT be tiring.

But it is tiring in real life too, at least for your arms so you aiming accuracy should go down after walking in combat pace for too long.

I'm sure your fatigue increase when you are being engaged by the enemy, not totally sure if is the nearby bullet crack or passing by. I think it is just the fact that enemy are engaging you though; so maybe it could be some sort of induced "panicking" or stress due to being under fire.

I'm using a stamina bar indicator from Dslyecxi and i was able to see the bar dropping almost instantly from "green" good rest to "red" (fatigued) when being engaged from enemy.

It makes it difficult to "return fire" at them since your aim sway all around in those situations, unless you try to spray and pray. So you have to look for cover and wait for the character to "calm down".

The stamina doesn't seem to drop when friendlies are firing at you. At least not from friendly players.

Your fatigue doesn't increase when you're fired at or even hit. Of course, when you're hit the sway increases but not the fatigue.

If you're absolutely sure it did increase, then it was a scripted effect in the mission.

Your fatigue doesn't increase when you're fired at or even hit. Of course, when you're hit the sway increases but not the fatigue.

If you're absolutely sure it did increase, then it was a scripted effect in the mission.

Just ran a quick test, on a custom mission from editor (so no fancy scripts) i just witnessed my stamina bar increasing by chunks instantly by being fired at and also when being hit. I experienced the same when playing on multiplayer, regardless of the server.

If more people confirm it doesn't drop for them, i guess it has something to do with some addons i'm running but i can't think of anything affecting stamina there.

Edited by 3lackrose

Weapon sway is not great, holding breath seems to have almost no effect. Need bipods/resting for this new system. The fixed sway when stopping and sighting up encourages camping. I like the idea of separating grip/breath though.