mecharius

[Release] Anvil Mission Editor and Framework

Nah I get nothing whatsoever. I've tried all sorts of things to get it running but I've never been able to make it work. :/

Still if you are happy to do a few more emf exports I can do the editor side no problems.

Have a priority list? PM or post.

I'm not finding Caribou for A3. Link?... or was that wishful thinking?

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Well slap me silly... Caribou up loads fine (odd runway textures aside.... cobblestone).

Posting up Hazar Kot Valley and Aliabad for you as well.

... and more. Check PM.

Edited by lawndartleo

Thanks lawndartleo, those maps have been added for the next release. I'm waiting on permission to distribute caribou and the two mcn maps as the map makers don't specify a license that I can see but the majority of them are good to go!

The new release is waiting on about three more bug fixes which I'll hopefully be able to do by the weekend.

Thanks again for your help!

Just out of curiosity, aside from common courtesy, why permission from map makers? The maps provided are simply in game representations of their works and not a derivative.

The ArmA community on the whole is pretty protective of its mod and map makers and their works, mostly out of a recognition that these contributions are what make ArmA what it is. In accordance with this, where there is not a clearly defined license I will not be hosting or distributing any images on my own server unless I have explicit permission from the map maker. The map makers who have responded to my PMs have all been happy to give their permission so in most cases its just a formality - but an important one in my opinion. The only maps I'm waiting on permission for are the MCN ones - Aliabad and Hazar Kot. It looks like the map maker hasn't been online for a few months now so I'm not sure I'll get it in the near future.

What I will be doing is providing the configuration settings which make these maps usable, just without a download link (the next version of Anvil has an "auto map download" feature).

To use these maps its a matter of exporting the terrain using the topography cheat, converting to PNG through MS Paint or Irfan Viewer, naming it correctly and putting it into the Anvil data/maps folder. For you it will be a matter of "Save As" on the two missing images you have already exported :) My plan is to release the next Anvil version on Sunday so you should be able to make Anvil missions on these islands from then.

For my own part, most of the things I release are under a very permissive license such as the MIT license. The "dream" is that this will encourage an open development process and contributors such as yourself getting involved which in turn makes the editor better for everybody.

Every forum he uses that I know of has no posting activity since March or April of 2014 (with his known pseudonyms, at least). Robalo has him as a friend and perhaps communicates with him in other ways so I querried him about McN's whereabouts. Sadly, I think he went off the grid, so to speak. My two favorite maps, too. Well... we just wait then.

Yeah looks that way. Luckily you can definitely use the maps in anvil following the instructions above I just won't be providing a map image on my hosting.

Version 6.5 is out and will shortly be available for download from http://www.anvilproject.com/. Changes made include:

Editor

- `FIXED` outdated link for TPW_CAS supported script (BI forums user _MaSSive)

- `FIXED` crash with incomplete supported scripts definition (#2)

- `FIXED` Opening a non-Anvil mission and converting to an Anvil mission doesn't save opened path #15

- `ADDED` one-click download of missing map images through the new mission dialog (#13)

- `ADDED` support for the Bornholm map (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` support for the Bukovina map (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` support for the Bystrica map (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` support for the Desert map (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` support for the Porto map (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` support for the Rahmadi map, A3 version (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` support for the Sahrani map, A3 version (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` support for the Shapur map (#14)

- `ADDED` support for the Takistan Mountains map (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` support for the Utes map (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` *configuration* for the Aliabad map, no images posted due to no permission from author (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` *configuration* for the Hazar Kot map, no images posted due to no permission from author (#14, BI forums user lawndartleo supplied map files)

- `ADDED` "shut up" trigger option in editor to stop AI radio chatter (#4)

- `ADDED` optional (anonymous) reporting of error messages to help Anvil improve using [sentry](getsentry.com) (#12)

- `ADDED` About 50 unit tests (at last)

- `IMPROVED` Mission ends by default when all objectives completed for new missions. To change this per mission, set Mission "Trigger on all completed" to `None`

- `IMPROVED` Update MahApps.Metro dependency to version `1.0.0`.

Framework

- `FIXED` The `AFW_fnc_globalHide` function no longer run every time a player JIPd

- `FIXED` objects hidden by `AFW_fnc_globalHide` can no longer be damaged

- `FIXED` Prevent EOS from overriding server skill settings and mods

- `FIXED` Prevent enemy from being spawned when objectives are completed using `AFW_fnc_doSetObjectiveState` #3,

- `ADDED` Able to conditionally run `AFW_fnc_globalHide` depending on the completed state of an objective

- `IMPROVED` force multiplier now applied to infantry only #9

- `IMPROVED` ammo box contents better for larger player count missions #5,

I will honor Mecharius' decision not to release the maps by not distributing them, either. If anyone knows how to get in contact with McNools to get his permission, please do so. Until then, everyone is just as capable of generating the maps as I am. Visit https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Cheats for full details (topography cheat).

Thank you, Mecharius, for your efforts. This utility has added greatly to swift mission creation and broadened the scope of ArmA game play.

Newest version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

** A link to the Altis and Stratis maps bundled is also availble from our downloadpage!

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hi!

I would like to thank you for your efforts.

As criticism would say that the zoom movement is very strange.

Using the mouse wheel when you make a zoom in the map jumps to the corners of the screen suddendly.

Bug:

The release dont have the maps directory inside and generate a crash when you try download a map.

Edited by djotacon

@ djotacon... I was able to get all download maps without an issue. User specific problem, maybe?

@ mecharius... am I missing something in the instruction to get the MCN maps I have self generated working within Anvil?

I looked at your github source and don't see them in the map definitions.

Edited by lawndartleo

Thanks djotacon...

As criticism would say that the zoom movement is very strange.

Using the mouse wheel when you make a zoom in the map jumps to the corners of the screen suddendly.

Yeah I agree the zoom is still a bit off. I've had about four goes at it so far but still not there :(

Ill make a github issue and see if I can improve it at some point.

Bug:

The release dont have the maps directory inside and generate a crash when you try download a map.

Hmm that's odd, I thought I'd fixed that before I uploaded the zip file. What version is on your zip file, is it 6.5 or 6.5.1?

Edit: You can work around this by just creating the data/maps folder manually.

Edited by mecharius

@ mecharius... am I missing something in the instruction to get the MCN maps I have self generated working within Anvil?

I looked at your github source and don't see them in the map definitions.

Oh darn it. looking at the source I've messed that one up :mad: I'll have to push a hotfix tomorrow after work.

Plan for the next version is to have the map definitions in a JSON file so you can define your own.

Version 6.5 Beta is not working for me.

What i do. Start the program (windows smartscreen not allow it to run. btw so i had to disable). Ctrl+N, Choose stratis, f2, click on the map, f1, Objective type Assassinate, Trigger on complete END1, Strength infantry group 1, Group size 1. No warning at the bottom. Save it to Document\arma 3\missions\Test.Stratis. I get a mission_data.json. Than Export. Multiple file in Test.Stratis. And in game I don't see the mission. What am i doing wrong?

6.5.2 HOTFIX RELEASED

IMPORTANT - if your version is 6.5.0.0 please update to this release as it contains an important hotfix.

Download Links for 6.5.2

A quick new release to add configuration support for MCN maps - Hazar Kot and Aliabad. Upgrade is recommended for users of 6.5.0.0 or earlier. Users of version 6.5.1.0 need only update if they want support for the MCN maps and are comfortable exporting the images using the "topography cheat".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can see your version number in the application window, it looks like this for version 6.5.2:

9gBhzpW.png

Edited by mecharius

Version 6.5 Beta is not working for me.

What i do. Start the program (windows smartscreen not allow it to run. btw so i had to disable). Ctrl+N, Choose stratis, f2, click on the map, f1, Objective type Assassinate, Trigger on complete END1, Strength infantry group 1, Group size 1. No warning at the bottom. Save it to Document\arma 3\missions\Test.Stratis. I get a mission_data.json. Than Export. Multiple file in Test.Stratis. And in game I don't see the mission. What am i doing wrong?

Hey demerzel,

Yeah on Win 8 the smartscreen filter will pop up unless I pay for a signing certificate which I'm not likely to do in the near future.

As far as the folder name goes if I put an empty folder called "Test.Stratis" in the missions directory then it detects it in the editor so its most likely an issue with either the folder name or location.

Anvil should prevent you from naming a folder incorrectly so its possibly saved in the wrong location. Try saving a mission from the ArmA editor and making sure it goes to the same folder.

Thanks for the reply. In the meantime i found out my problem. I had to put the mission inside \Arma 3 - Other Profiles\ I don't know why. LoL But now it's working fine.

I'm considering doing a ~1hr mission making Twitch stream using Anvil between Christmas and New Years or very early in January. Would anybody be interested in this?

Thanks again Mecharius...

Question about improving map appearance... The moire effect that is seen with the grid lines in the editor... I don't see this in my photo editing programs... but those are specialized programs for just that. Is it possible for me or other map providers to improve the quality of maps to alleviate it or is this an effect that is an unavoidable rendering limitation?

And yes to the above stream.... just to see how you do things compared to how I stumble through it.

Thanks again for the headsup about your updated release, much appreciated :cool:

Newest version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hello again.

I have already given to the problem of the zoom (not using the zoom too - using the default zoom -l . The default zoom is generated one of the last known position of the pointer, this makes constantly jump .

You have to make the zoom does not change the position until the pointer moves with the mouse.

The state of the editor does not look good at the bottom of the screen, it would be more useful to appear reflected in the top bar as a comment.

Not seen at a glance that objective'm editing and are created directly with a click.

This produces frequent errors in editing, to avoid propose a double click to insert the point and a rectangle to mark the point to edit

It would also be very useful to move the objectives of position.

Zoom tool:

I see that the zoom tool has behaviour using the mouse wheel - moving to the last position of the pointer - it be more useful that have the same behavior that using the left-right mouse button.

Editor windows:

I dont understand what is the pourpose of the downright script menu, and advice about that will be useful.

Edited by djotacon