Sign in to follow this  
zapat

Black Rain Project [SP experience]

What do you think of the new GetTactical View?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new GetTactical View?

• Great! This is what ARMA SP gaming needs!
    • Good, but only for rare, special occasions.
    • Good, but I won't use it.
    • I don't see how could it be useful.
    • The vid didn't make me want to try it. So I dunno.

A huge bug has been identified!

Please wait for a hotfix soon before engaging yourself with a mission, because it will mess up your Real-time get tactical interface, and many ugly stuff, like creating a lot of empty units and such. It is nasty.

HOTFIX is UP!

Playing with this it seems pretty stable. The bug identified got a lot more out from their hidings. Slowly it gets really playable. :)

The getTactical view is just fantastic, so neat, responsive and easy to use. BIS needs to take note of this and replace the terrible squad commanding system they have had in since OFP.

I'm really looking forward to the addon version.

The getTactical view is just fantastic, so neat, responsive and easy to use. BIS needs to take note of this and replace the terrible squad commanding system they have had in since OFP.

I'm really looking forward to the addon version.

^^ This

There are many fixes on the way (eg. units remembering their watch dir when entering the interface, etc). Actually it is getting really stable and playable and even more responsive. I could play a whole mission without any strange things robbing my attention. You guys are right: this is something cool.

It may sound strange, but I haven't played A3 since Act 2 was released. I got so fed up with not being able to control my units. But now. Whooooaaaa. Sometimes you just need stop coding and start enjoying what you created, right? :)

I can't imagine the impact of an addon version on other missions. I must finish that before MANW too, lol.

Again: tonight is the first time I actually used this scenario as a player.

Edited by zapat

What you've created is a SP's dream. Glad you can enjoy it too. I see so much more possibilities down the road for this feature. BIS could in theory work with you to incorporate this as official content post MANW.

What you've created is a SP's dream.

Thanks sttosin: and I am planning to add some more layers into the experience in the campaign.

The island was deserted after a failed military experiment. AAF was created to seal the island, and an USAMRU detachment was sent there to monitor the situation. After the grand crisis, these units were abandoned.

When the CSAT started their offensive against the EU mainland and turned AAF to their side, quite a big force was arriving to the island, ruthlessly fighting with US units...

This is the background, where you start:

On your journey you will meet US units, who will join your team (and later join your cause and be support). All the units will have special feats: one will be a good sniper, the other can throw a grenade further, one other can see far and identify targets, another will be a good negotiator (you will need it when dealing with AAF units: they haven't all turned to the bad side) so it will matter how you construct and use your team. I am most excited about this feature: I hope it will play out well...

Milestone v0.8 is up.

Tutorial is re-written and re-enabled.

Changelog:

Changelog:

v0.8

GTV HOTFIX for messed up unit cards

GTV FIX: many many bugfixes. Many.

GTV FIX: units now remember their pose and watch direction when going into topdown mode

GTV FIX: Fog-of-war is now on for unconscious units

GTV_FIX: dead bodies are not hidden by Fog-of-War

GTV FIX: sometimes not the selected grenade was thrown. Or any.

GTV FIX: switching from behind the sights won't activate 3rd person view

Add: unconscious units are now executed by a close red unit.

Fix: unconscious units die if they receive more damage

Milestone means that I will now work on the campaign, and there will be only bugfix builds without any major new features until probably full release in end of September-beginning of October. I will post some vids though.

Since the GetTactical View still seems pretty stable, I will probably release the addon version sooner. I just need to solve the save-game issue with it first.

And please spread the word: the interest seems way too low compared to the time/effort that goes into this project...

Edited by zapat

Great news zapat.

My guess on the interest levels is that is due to people probably reading this as a SP mission-only-deal just by looking at the title. I found out from reading drongo's ui thread. I bet you if you released a "GetTactical Tactics & RTS Gamemode" mod that emphasized the technology you've introduced and even let users replay the campaign with it or their missions or any mission for that matter....the word will spread. I recall seeing Jester youtube video on this not long ago. He was excited about the possibilities as well. Once its a mod on armaholic, maybe it'll get more video reviews, more eyes, etc

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

^^^ sttosin is correct. Get a good video guy like Jester to help promote this as it's realy a great new addition for tactical and SP lovers. The fact that it's in the mission section is a pretty big reason why it's still unheard of on a large scale. Your right, it's a great project and deserves huge props

I shall quote the great Kevin Costner who once said 'if you build it, they will come'. Just need to have faith. I agree that videos showing full functionality are your shop window. Also make sure that you have lots of ways for people to contact you (Skype, LinkedIn, etc) in case a pc mag wants to talk.

Also consider releasing GTV in Addons:Complete, where most people visit.

Edited by Kremator

I agree with the the chaps above. If you release GetTactical in the Addons: Complete section, you will get a lot more attention. You could also make a "coming soon" post in Addons: Discusion to show off the features. The User Missions board here doesn't get that much attention.

Anyway, I added small plug in the first post of my DCE thread.

Savegame bug fixed at last so I uploaded a v0.9

Thanks for the tips and the support guys.

Keep your fingers crossed, I am trying to release the Addon at the end of next week. Its pretty much attach a CBA eventhandler, pbo the files and see how it works: I could solve a problem last week, so the Addon = mission = script version, so I won't need to handle different versions, which kept me away from the addon mostly.

The "see how it works" is the interesting, since the player needs to be changed to a virtual unit so that you can control every units. We'll see how some of the missions react to this. :)

Edited by zapat

really enjoyed the ending of the campiagn prequel. epic.

I love GTV. :)

About the camera... The use of the middle mouse button to turn the camera isn't easy on my mouse as it is a wheel, that can be pushed and therefore works, but isn't the easiest thing to do. May I suggest that, besides using the middle mouse button, you add the use of the keyboard? When I was playing around with it, I kept wanting to hit the Q and E keys to turn the camera, so I think those may be good additions. :)

Cheers :)

Holy mother of #&@#&! It works with the official BIS campaign. :D What have I unleashed?

It ate 10 more hours to make it addon compatible, but it totally worthed it. Now try BINGO FUEL with this! :D

Oh, wait: you don't have it yet!? Poor fellows: wait some more. Like a day. :)

Edited by zapat

This? In addon version?

Zapat, I'd say you're in very good place for the MANW contest!

I can't wait to try this on some missions I've been working on!

Holy mother of #&@#&! It works with the official BIS campaign. :D What have I unleashed?

It ate 10 more hours to make it addon compatible, but it totally worthed it. Now try BINGO FUEL with this! :D

Dont you mess with us zapat!

Ooooh you little tinker ! Sounds great.

The addon is out....

The puzzles are in their place: the addon topic will be about the GetTactical Interface, this topic will be about the mission utilizing it. Clear at last, isn't it! :)

Edited by zapat

Just a quick update on progress: I am getting past the unit skills. There is going to be some good ones, so you'll need tactics more than before.

How do you like the unit card?

uc?export=view&id=0BxjqGzmtx1GBLTkwY1g5S3J1TUk

After having shown the unit cards, here are some unit types who you will meet durnig your travels.

There will be 3 levels for units (shown by the stars): a unit will gain levels by killing, so the more you use someone, the better he thus your team will be.

Here are some exotic types for teasing:

Angel:

+he can revive without FAKs. On level 3 he can revive and heal the revived unit without FAKs

- very short unconscious time

Pitcher:

+He can throw grenades very far.

- A far throw require more of his stamina.

Forest:

+With no backpack he can sprint without getting too tired.

- Bad in everything else.

Shadow:

+ He can move undetected up to 50 meters to an enemy unit while wearing a Ghillie suit and a gun only, prone and no shoots.

- Very short unconscious time if shot

300:

+ after shot he won't collapse for 30 more seconds.

- he cannot be revived

Zorba:

+ He knows the island by heart. There is no dark fog of war

Spotter:

+ Fog of war is further in his watch direction and with some luck he can spot some units the others can't. Of course not behind a hill.

Sioux:

+ He can read a lot from signs. He can guess moving enemies after watching for a minute or two. Of course not behind a hill, so you better move him up on a hill.

Different unit classes/skills/types whatever you call them - totalled at 24. That's a lot of variety.

Different unit classes/skills/types whatever you call them - totalled at 24. That's a lot of variety.

Would you be looking for beta testers for the mission?

Everybody will be a beta tester once it completes. :) As it was with the GTI. :)