Sign in to follow this  
zapat

Black Rain Project [SP experience]

What do you think of the new GetTactical View?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new GetTactical View?

• Great! This is what ARMA SP gaming needs!
    • Good, but only for rare, special occasions.
    • Good, but I won't use it.
    • I don't see how could it be useful.
    • The vid didn't make me want to try it. So I dunno.

I guess this is as far I got. Midnight, bambam.

I uploaded the last version @23:56, after correcting some more bugs.

Oh well, I hope the game breaking ones are ironed. I found some just 20 mins before end. :)

lazerath: Black Rain Project is a mission. A non-handholding, open world one.

It uses the GetTactical view ( I made that for the sake of this mission: I wanted to encourage singleplayer team play). It is available as an Addon, which you can use with any infantry SP missions. Official campaign, HunterSix, Pilgrim, you name it.

Brutal deadline dude, but no matter what you are done now and can relax...and sleep. And be proud of what you built. Best of luck to you!

I guess this is as far I got. Midnight, bambam.

I uploaded the last version @23:56, after correcting some more bugs.

Oh well, I hope the game breaking ones are ironed. I found some just 20 mins before end. :)

lazerath: Black Rain Project is a mission. A non-handholding, open world one.

It uses the GetTactical view ( I made that for the sake of this mission: I wanted to encourage singleplayer team play). It is available as an Addon, which you can use with any infantry SP missions. Official campaign, HunterSix, Pilgrim, you name it.

Ahhh.. Okay... I think my dumb moment is over now.. well.. sorta...

Get Tactical is the Addon, This is a mission that uses the Addon...

Correct?

And by the way, Congrats on getting your last minute fixes uploaded!

I truly wish you and the other awesome mods that have been developed the best of luck in the competition.

My only disgust with the competition is that there are so many great mods/missions etc that have been created, I would have much rather seen that the top 10 or 20 would have been able to win a nice prize of $50,000.00 each, rather then one person getting the whole shabang!

That way you and others would all get something for your very hard, dedicated and incredibly talented work instead of just one person!

Cheers and best of luck! I hope you stick around for a long time and continue to support the work you've created here. You are an Inspiration sir! Truly fantastic..

Okay, enough butt kissing, I am off to enjoy your mission and mod :D I am giddy with excitement!:o

Johnnyboy, I fell in love with your burning barrels. I even made a quick skirmish mission with it. :)

Thanks again for letting me use them: it adds a lot to the fun.

Relax? Hahh. I don't dare to run the mission: I do't want to see what bugs were left there.

On the other hand I'd like to see this all as it's in my head. For which I'll need like another year. :)

I am having a problem with your Mission. Not sure why either.

So I downloaded it (subscribed through steam).

I had NO problems loading up the Mission Tutorial (Training Session).

I played around with that for a couple hours (between doing stuff around the house).

After practicing lots I decided to fire up the Tutorial Skirmish and it loaded up fine. Then I went out for a smoke, came back inside. Exited to the main menu so I could restart and try the main campaign and thats when the problems started. It just sat at the Initializing Mission Screen.

So I shut down Arma 3 (CTRL-ALT-DELETE) and fired it back up. Tried again, same thing. So I shut it down the same way again.

I loaded into the mission picker screen for your awesome mod. Tried the Skirmish Tutorial again.... Map loads up... I Click on the place I want to spawn... Screen turns Black. Menu Control on the bottom left of screen partial shows up (missing icons) but nothing else happens... So I have to ctrl alt delete again... *Cry*...

I disabled every thing except your mission and CBA and still... same thing happens when loading Skirmish Tutorial or the main campaign. Weird thing is, the Basic Tutorial loads up fine...

Any Ideas on what is going on?

I have rebooted my PC several times and still its a no go..

I will try a few other things and let you know how it goes.. If you have any ideas please let me know as I am literally squirming in my recliner to try this out....!

Cheers!

PS: Off to redownload the mission file again... see if its corrupted.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

I can confirm it is not my Arma 3 Installation.

I loaded several different missions (Single player missions I have downloaded and subscribed too through Steam) and they all worked no problem at all. I also loaded up some saved games and I even restarted several of those saved game missions from the start.

For some strange reason, once I load into your actual missions themselves it freezes up Arma 3. All keyboard keys are frozen (have no effect) and I am unable to get back to the main menu but if I hover my mouse over your menu/icons on the bottom left of the screen some of them highlight but clicking on them does nothing. I have to open task manager and End Process for Arma 3. Another strange thing is the fact that in the task manager, Arma 3 shows a "Running", NOT the usual "NOT RESPONDING" that happens when a game/program freezes.

Again, I have no problem loading up the Basic Tutorial Mission that introduces you to the menu and control system for your awesome little mod. Its just when I try to play the campaign or Skirmish Tutorial...

This suxors big time (it freezing, not your mod.. I think your mod is awesome)... I just want to play it..

Again, This happens to me with the latest update downloaded through Steam (Subscribed) as well as manually adding your mission to the Arma 3 Mission folder after downloading .9 from your site "Here".

Please help :(

Edited by lazerath
Fixed some grammar and added some more information!

I just finished trying out the Get Tactical Interface Mod (with out the mission) and it works with out any problems. I loaded several different missions and had no problem. Just wanted to let you know ;-)

This is a freaking awesome mod! Fantastic work!

How long do you wait?

It sometimes needs like 30 secs....

it goe s like:

initializing world

5-10 secs Arma freeze

analyzing world (sometimes up to a minute in the beginning)

game starts

it looks at a lot of things really. I've just tried it via steam, latest non-dev Arma build

Edited by zapat

Approximately 5 minutes. I will try again though.

Below are my PC Specs, So I really shouldn't have hardware issues running and loading the mission.. Will try again right away though and post my results back.

Asus Sabertooth 990fx Mobo

Amd FX 9370 - Stock Speed 4.4 to 4.7 ghz

Corsair H80i AIO Waterblock

16 GB G.Skills Ripjaw Mem

Evga 970 GTX SSC - Stock Overclock Speeds Upgraded from Evga 580 GTX SC

Samsung 840 120gb SSD - Windows and Arma 3 Installed

Western Digitial 1 TB Black Edition Sata 3 HD

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Okay.. Not sure what is going on but it loaded this time (Skirmish Tutorial). It took a little under 10 seconds to go from clicking the Go screen Menu Button, to the map where you click your insertion point. From that point it took again, less then 5 seconds to load into the game and everything worked...

I wonder if something changed last night after I had the problems. I ended up playing the Get Tactical mod with a scenario, then went to bed after posting here how awesome it is... now The mission works... and I have a bunch of mods loaded too.. weird.. Anyhow going to go play the Skirmish mission tutorial.. once I am done that I will try the main campaign (don't want to risk it not working again and not being able to play either of them LoL).. I am greedy... what can I say.. Its an awesome mod!!!

You are the man!!!

Oh, by the way, Please pass my thanks (and most likely everyone else here who's tried this) on to your family as well. With out their support and understanding I am sure that would have made it very difficult for you to put all the time and effort into this Fantastic Project.

Cheers!

Well, it's still a bugfest, so this is not the mission winning the contest.

However I am continuing the ironing of these.

This contest brought the bad from me, really. It made me rush the whole thing. It still needs quite a time to make it polished.

Well personally, I think it brought out the best in you. Your Get Tactical AI Menu is a MUST HAVE Install for me. I cannot bring myself to play the Single Player game now with out using it. It just seems like Arma 3 is naked with out it... and not in a good, sexy, curvy way either... More like a cellulite contest! LoL *Sorry... should have kept that to myself LoL*

Okay, so I finished playing with the tactical skirmish and restarted the mission so I could try the campaign.. It loaded up with NO problems at all.. (I am clueless as to why it gave me so many problems before). The only thing I can think of is either my PC is having some issues and I need to do a fresh Windows Install or else Arma 3 itself is still bugging out (which it still does have problems).

So on a bright note, I got to try your campaign mission. It seems very good so far. I did however run in to a possible bug (unless it was intended that way).

I will put it in spoiler tags incase it was not a bug and instead I just did not understand what was supposed to happen..

After I spawned at the Air Base, listened to the cool intro story and all the aircraft, helo's flew over. Another plane straffed our position and dropped a couple bombs. No problems so far. I then awoke some distance away in a farm house with a buddy watching over me. Again no problem so far. However, when we left to go and get a weapon for me, another AI showed up who was friendly. His name was "Taylor" if I am not mistaken. He offered to mark a spot on my map with some goodies at it. This never actually happened though. I brought up the PDA to try and add him to my squad and was not able to. I clicked on his name, nothing happened but a quick bong type noise. I tried clicking on the plus sign to add him, again nothing happened. I tried dragging him over to my group... still not able too... Thats the part I am unsure if it is a Bug or if you simply cannot add him to your group.. Or maybe I am doing it wrong... Also, my map was never marked. A message did appear before I brought up the PDA *Hint* of sorts. Telling me to either accept his gift or not... but I could not accept it I guess or I did something wrong.

Please explain what is supposed to happen here and how to do it!

Thank you again for your hard work!

There is a recruit button under his avatar. Thats the only way to add him.

I've seen numerous bugs, but haven't seen this one yet. :)

This is supposed to be simple as hell.

However it's just a simple side mission, if it fails, well, it doesn't matter. There will be some more on the go.

And nothing "supposed to happen" anywhere. It is a fully open world, what happens happen. There is no way to foretell it (well there is now, I had to make some shortcuts, but these will go soon).

I know it makes you clueless and dizzy, because most of us gamers are too used to mission markers and handholding. Which is not a good trend IMHO. So this mission is the exact opposite.

Edited by zapat

A &@@v&, f&@@&&@ private statement was missing from one of the functions of the GetTactical View thus making it impossible to use with subteamed units. Damn.

It is now updated in steam...

This is simply awesome, and looks so professional that it feels natural.

I'm still getting used to using middle click to look around, I keep right clicking instinctively for some reason...

An idea for multiplayer:

I understand some of the limitations behind implementing something like this in MP, perhaps an option to completely disable the pause time function for mission makers would help?

A mission where each player is in command of a fireteam or squad sized AI element would be fantastic with this interface, be it either co-op or adversarial. There are most probably plenty of other issues that I'm missing here.

Thank you for this mod anyway, it has changed my single player Arma 3 experience to the point where I can't go back now :)

Resurrected as f*ck, I know, but I am fresh outta f*cks to give. Oh and, sorry for the rude language, I've had a bad day at work. Anyway is there any way for one to make some sort of encampment for NPCs that I dismiss to stay at, or am I being completely blind here?

They will stay in the next roofed building until they are found by a patrol and most likely shot dead.

An encampment would be good, but how could they go there? Its more likely that they would be spotted during their travels. And shot dead again.

However note that this mission is still WIP, with many systems operating as rather placeholders. The damn MANW contest made me release it prematurely.

Gotcha, and what about the interface not working after loading, or am I just being daft again :P. Oh and, thank you for this mission and addon. It made ArmA SP fun again.

The addon supposed to work allright, and the mission too. If not, please let me know.

And a note again: the addon and the mission can have some conflicts, so it is advisable to run the mission without the addon loaded. Naturally it will be corrected soon.

The mission will extend the use of the interface greatly. (eg involve supports, some unit stat info, fast travel) These are still in the works but look fun already!

Well, define "on". :)

In my head it lives quite a vivid life, RL projects steal the time though. It will be finished sooner or later, I won't be able to hold all my ideas and not playing for too long.

Glad to hear its still alive mate :D

Well, define "on". :)

In my head it lives quite a vivid life, RL projects steal the time though. It will be finished sooner or later, I won't be able to hold all my ideas and not playing for too long.

Good to hear. I am always searching for good SP scenarios. Yours seemed to be shaping up quite nicely. Looking forward to the finished product, or at least an updated version, whenever that may be.

@Zapat

Is it possible to implement GTI to a self made mission. This would be great for tactical spec ops missions. Also, is there other uses at its current state? Maybe possible strategic commands to several groups (armor, air, sea, platoons, etc.)? wishful thinking.