Sign in to follow this  
zapat

Black Rain Project [SP experience]

What do you think of the new GetTactical View?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new GetTactical View?

• Great! This is what ARMA SP gaming needs!
    • Good, but only for rare, special occasions.
    • Good, but I won't use it.
    • I don't see how could it be useful.
    • The vid didn't make me want to try it. So I dunno.

GetTactical makes Arma a whole new game for me....a thinking game. Plan mode is still my favorite feature.

Tell me about it! It all started as an idea of a better interface. And now it hooks even me to itself, I would have never imagined that this will have such an impact on gameplay. I have been coding without once trying it for long months. :)

Just a small thing: I will get rid of the player in plan mode too. It is a bit confusing now isn't it.

I agree. I also find myself inadvertently switching players.

One more idea. A way to speed up the camera as you pan from position to position. Holding shift is already assigned but makes the most sense? Kinda like sprinting.

If you go higher, you go faster... But I can add shift too.

Or change it in the settings. :)

Hey zapat, been using GetTactical for a while now, but still cannot get used to the camera. Would there be ANY chance to map it to a clicked and held RMB? The reason I ask is that MCC and VTS all use this camera movement style and it works very well. I know that we would need to deselect any unit first or they would move. Please consider it as this is the only little gripe with the mod :) Cheers.

Kremator: I can put anything like this in the settings. Just figure it out what you need: we need two buttons for unit selection and command. IMHO right-hold would be just more confusing... So we need to do 3 things. Move the cam, select a unit and command. Command needs click and hold too, so probably a left hold would be better choice. Right would be the most natural to mee too, but it is really reserved.

Somebody once asked for ALT-hold, which is doable. Its on my list too, which is being digested next weekish. So figure this out until then.

Personally I like the current camera controls as they feel instinctive to me. So far I've noticed a few occasions where soldiers will refuse to move even if forced unless I take control and move them a few feet over. Another strange bug is ordering a unit into those large have roofed bards -they magically get sucked up into the air like a bad Exorcist mojo only to be dropped back down usualy pretty injured.

Lastly I know it would most likey be hell to implement but any chance you could set waypoints for second floors, balconies and other elevated structures?

Edit: Thanks for hold fire and synchronize tips -they work :)

teoleo: there is the intro mission of the campaign, and currently one skirmish mission which are totally playable. But the engine is being developed, so be ready for some bugs.

froggyluv: I know about the refuse to move stuff. Only I have no idea why. They seem to stuck in an endless loop or something, but I can't repruduce it 100%. I only have that really sometimes.

large have roofed bards: which are these? can you show me these in the asset page? (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_CfgVehicles_EMPTY)

waypoints for second floors: its already in. Cam is set to inside mode when inside.

Only thing is that there is no command for getting the mosue cursor position on second floor, only on ground level, so I need to take the cursorPosition from first floor, and add altitude. Result is that the shown step icon is off-set. Otherwise it is supposed to work well.

If there are buildingPositions near, they should magnet your cursor, and the units are placed exa ctly there. Otherwise the ARMA engine handles moveReady pretty loose when in buildings.

Lol that was supposed to have read 'half roofed barn'.

It looks like it was Land_u_Shed_Ind_F.

Good to hear about indoors. Perhaps I was hitting some elevated portion of the structure as I had the camera zoomed really high but it did happen repeatedly.

Edit: Ok Ill try to find it on the map and give you coordinates

Edited by froggyluv

I'll take a look into it. Was it force move, or simple rightclick move?

The algorithm takes existing buildingposes, and calculates height from them. So unless there is a misplaced buildingpos, it shouldn't cause such...

Edit: I couldn't reproduce. Where is the one causing it? It may have elevated base or something like this...

Edited by zapat

Ok it's that building I pointed out and it's at 119-140. Whats happening is if you place a force move inside the structure the character tries to morph thru the side wood beams which temporarily lifts him high in the air. This time there were no injuries though :o

Oh, damn, yes. I noticed this flying bug elsewhere (low walls) too. Result of the super-consistent (ironic) gameworld of arma. I need to find a workaround for this then....

Force move is straight lined, played sprint animations after a los check. If there is anything (like a branch) in the path, the unit stucks and sprints in one place. So what I do when it stalls is that I move it by script on each frame. And sometimes the unit senses the building wall change under his feet and this is when it starts flying. Inspite of being hard-positioned by setPos. And only sometimes. Probably if a step is exactly on a wall.

I have no other ideas for force move. The group to a civilian group didn't work. This approach seemingly has its own bugs. What else?! Should I make a chess game instead?

Edit: I looked around: it is the elevated base and its being open on the sides. I will lower the LOS check line to ground level. This will prevent this bug, but then units can't be forcemoved behind the 40cm high low walls. Which I do a lot. Oh well: the world is not perfect. Although it should be. :D

Anyways: thanks for the accurate bug report.

Edited by zapat

I wouldn't worry about as the benefits of the forced moved FAR outweighs a few glitchy type ghosting which we're all pretty much used to anyway. One could always force move very close to these problematic structure and then get pinpoint accurate in the turn based mode. Again this is really fantastic stuff, finally we can get our guys out of really dicey situations ie..artillery, bomb, tank etc with the quickness. One thing I noticed is that when they ghost thru fences it actually takes a full second which pretty well represents the time to climb or vault one and recover.

Many fixes are coming tomorrow. Including when the units stuck, froggyluv. :) Forcemove is a lote more stabile now. Only issue remaining is when an object is hit while moving the stuck unit. Oh, well. :)

New version is out!

IMPORTANT FIX: units were stuck in forcemove, when directed straight ahead.

IMPORTANT FIX: units grouped together now follow their leader!

FIXED: better watchdir on WPs without set direction

FIXED: forced waypoints are handled a bit better when they go through elevated walls

FIXED: better player switch handling while there is an active plan for the unit

FIXED: some state feedback fixes

TUNED: overall better chained-wp handling

TUNED: changed to anims instead of actions in forced move. This gives a better experience.

REWORKED: plan mode and real time now use the same methods for player handling

REWORKED: got rid of player unit in Plan mode

Next goal: fog of war and hide units in real time as well

Next experimental idea: grenade throwing

Then I 'll continue working on the campaign, including units with RPG like feats.

Edited by zapat

New version is out!

IMPORTANT FIX: units were stuck in forcemove, when directed straight ahead.

IMPORTANT FIX: units grouped together now follow their leader!

FIXED: better watchdir on WPs without set direction

FIXED: forced waypoints are handled a bit better when they go through elevated walls

FIXED: better player switch handling while there is an active plan for the unit

FIXED: some state feedback fixes

TUNED: overall better chained-wp handling

TUNED: changed to anims instead of actions in forced move. This gives a better experience.

REWORKED: plan mode and real time now use the same methods for player handling

REWORKED: got rid of player unit in Plan mode

Next goal: fog of war and hide units in real time as well

Next experimental idea: grenade throwing

Then I 'll continue working on the campaign, including units with RPG like feats.

Woo hoo!!! Feedback in a few days.

How 'bout some grenade throwing goodness?

I'm blown away by this. Awesome stuff indeed.

This is just superb zapat! Controlled grenade throwing especially through windows is brilliant.

You can't imagine how... ( And I don't want to sound self-conceited). But I've been throwing grenades for 2 hours now all over Altis.

This part has been completely missing from MY Arma experience.

You can't imagine how... ( And I don't want to sound self-conceited). But I've been throwing grenades for 2 hours now all over Altis.

This part has been completely missing from MY Arma experience.

Does this work in plan mode as well....say two man group move here, throw frag, lay down get up, get in building, then....execute plan?

This works as an instant order as of now (of course both real-time and plan mode). Maybe later I add a waypoint type as well: right now it would be too much hassle. But on the long term: yes, that's the plan. :)

DOWNLOAD NEW VERSION!

Grenade throwing mechanism enabled!

Fog of War introduced!

Full changelog:

v0.6 08.18.2014.

GTV NEW FEATURE: grenade throwing

GTV ADD: gear menu integrated

GTV FIX: unit1 had problems with being followed.

GTV FIX: map does not close GetTactical Interface when opened

GTV ADD: Fog of War Darkening introduced in both top-down modes

GTV ADD: Fog of War hiding unseen units is introduced in Real-Time as well

GearManager: tons of fixes

In a couple of days I reenable tutorial, and hopefully find and fix some more bugs, and polish some things I find.

Then a major milestone will be reached, as I'll consider the interface mainly done and I'll continue working on the campaign.

Later on, vehicle usage and handling of support troops/vehicles will be added, as I reach that point in the scenario.

If you could stress test the thing a little and get the most bugs out of their holes, I'd be more than grateful.