Sign in to follow this  
zapat

Black Rain Project [SP experience]

What do you think of the new GetTactical View?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new GetTactical View?

• Great! This is what ARMA SP gaming needs!
    • Good, but only for rare, special occasions.
    • Good, but I won't use it.
    • I don't see how could it be useful.
    • The vid didn't make me want to try it. So I dunno.

I really like what I saw on the video. Sadly I can't try it right now because I'm waiting for my gpu to come from RMA thus I have a questions. Is this only a mission which contains this useful interface, and if so why not make it an addon like MCC or Drogo's Command Enhancement is?

I really like what I saw on the video. Sadly I can't try it right now because I'm waiting for my gpu to come from RMA thus I have a questions. Is this only a mission which contains this useful interface, and if so why not make it an addon like MCC or Drogo's Command Enhancement is?

He will...post MANW contest. He posted it on first page.

I can't wait for the SP addon either. This Gettactical interface is brilliant!! Reminded me of the 2D WW AI menu mod a bit. The only reason I found out about this was a discussion on drongo's page. Hope more people find out about it.

This could get you not only SP running but total conversion category as well? You know the whole RTS thing?

Good luck man.

A couple of observations Zapat,

1. I was running skirmish, paused the game for about an hour and found the vanilla way of selecting units was gone completely.

Which brings up an interesting point. Are you considering an option to completely eliminate the vanilla AI controls? V.3 seems almost there.

2. Are you considering a "get in" vehicle like you have for entering buildings? I imagine a similar contact sensitive icon. Maybe getout, load, unload, etc. That way you can plan your mission at base and watch the game plan play out. E.g. load up troops in helicopter, drop at location, clear compound, rescue hostage, get in, drop back at base plan.

3.This mod is a game changer especially for SP gamers. This is a step change kinda like what bCombat did to AI, JSRS to sound, Blastcore to effects, and tpw to ambience.... etc.

sttosin:

1. Is it possible that you became non-leader? I'd bet this has happened somehow. Anyways that part is reworked in new version...

2. Yes and yes. This is why I went with mission first instead of addon: this way I can control what you can use (like vehicles) and when. :)

Besides I have many ideas regarding the mission itself too, hopefully it all will add up to something really cool

I am saying this because I am testing the new built. If you thought that this has been game-changing so far, wait for the real-time mode (coming on Sunday) which turns the game into a full-featured top-down-view Jagged Alliance style tactical RTS. Kicks ass.

Dude I can't wait! Exciting times for Arma.

And yes I did switch to a playable unit but was switched back before pausing.

Edited by sttosin

wait for the real-time mode (coming on Sunday) which turns the game into a full-featured top-down-view Jagged Alliance style tactical RTS. Kicks ass.

I think I just 'gizzed in my pants'

I couldn't make it by today because of a kinda deep issue. So new version is due in approx. 3 days. It is getting a bit more complicated, but way way smoother as well. Lotsa bugs have been killed.

Until then for Kremator's pants:

I couldn't make it by today because of a kinda deep issue. So new version is due in approx. 3 days. It is getting a bit more complicated, but way way smoother as well. Lotsa bugs have been killed.

Until then for Kremator's pants:

Very logical progression. Whenever using current version I always send at least two so they can cover each other and I had to use lots of syncronizing. Now clicks are reduced but we can instead sync groups. Red team can be synced to Blue team to perform a perfect flanking maneuver!

Thanks for that video also Kremator

I dream of AI breaching doors and 'slicing the pie'! I wonder if that would be possible without HEAVY scripting?

@sttosin: Aye it is a good one!

Well, this IS heavy scripting so far.

I'll be happy with a good+usuable force move and grenade throwing for starters.

Although I myself have been wondering on some breaching/house cleaning as well... We arma players miss the same things it seems. :)

Yes we do indeed. This plays so well with bCombat. I've always had good results with bCombat and move way points. It is so basic and promotes less micromanagement. bCombat CQC routines makes AI lob grenades.

The new features introduced some new bugs. I will iron them until next week.

Until then, I share an experiment version with you for some feedback. It is not going to show up frontpage. (Edit: I lied. :) )

Edited by zapat

Nice. Can't wait to test. Liking the unit run fast to location deal.

Thanks zapat. Will try this out later today. Thanks. I like the force move especially!

Possible to hide the enemies that friendlies have no LOS on? Right now it's too easy to spot enemy infantry while placing waypoints.

Another issue is that the engage marker in the battle screen seems to have no effect as troops just plain ignore. Would be nice to have a few if the engage at will/hold fire commands on that screen tho that could get busy.

Lastly any chance of adding either timers for waypoints or some way to synchronize a go order? Dreams of the good old R6 days.

:)

Possible to hide the enemies that friendlies have no LOS on? Right now it's too easy to spot enemy infantry while placing waypoints.

Sure. The real-time mode is pretty much a very new, work-in-progress feature. I didn't want to release it in this state, but I had so much fun with it that I released it anyways. :)

It just needs a more sophisticated approach, since it is real time.

I am also thinking on camera restrictions. I haven't decided yet. I need to see the constant LOS checking impact...

Another issue is that the engage marker in the battle screen seems to have no effect as troops just plain ignore. Would be nice to have a few if the engage at will/hold fire commands on that screen tho that could get busy.

Oh, Arma feature. :) Haven1t found a workaround yet. And I have no idea what you are saying in your second sentence. :)

Lastly any chance of adding either timers for waypoints or some way to synchronize a go order? Dreams of the good old R6 days.

:)

Just try to left-click a waypoint and drag it to another unit's waypoint. It was all in the tutorial, which I have to rewrite from the beginning because so much have changed. It is a day1 feature: I use it a lot in FPS mode: because you can even sync one to the player's waypoint, so you can make a unit flank at the same time you run out from your cover. Pretty good traps can be built with this.

zapat,

Some observations on the latest build:

. Love having two modes now. Plan and Real Time. Very stoked for this.

. Tpw fall plays a falling through the sky sound that plays now when in GetTactical View.

. Did you remove the ability to select multiple units and then send them on the same waypoints without synching waypoints? I saw that in the teaser video.

. Also have you tried a mission with more than 6 total commandable AI? I wonder if the GetTactical icons will have enough room as it stands.

. Would you consider including a compass with the camera view? If the markers are no longer available, a small compas dynamically moving with the camera rotation will help identifying objectives.

Edited by sttosin

. Tpw fall plays a falling through the sky sound that plays now when in GetTactical View.

. Did you remove the ability to select multiple units and then send them on the same waypoints without synching waypoints? I saw that in the teaser video.

. Also have you tried a mission with more than 6 total commandable AI? I wonder if the GetTactical icons will have enough room as it stands.

-no idea about Tpw fall. I should look into it to see what causes this. I'd need some more time for this. So I am going for vanilla setup until october.

-Yes, I did. It caused havoc in some situations. Use the group feature instead. A lot easier to handle imho. (just select a unit and right-click on another unit)

-currently its 6 max. I'd need to add more places manually. I may go up to 10, but more would be extremely hard. I stayed at 6 because I had enough of copy-pasting. :)

AlthoughI am thinking on including control of "helper" groups, eg. tanks, cars, such. You won't have direct control on the units of them, only as a group. It will be fun, but kinda hard to achieve. October again. I want basic functionality until the end of September, and all the other nicer things can come after that.

Love this project, Zapat! this solves exactly why I stop playing ARMA... don't really get into MP, working with AI teammates always completely blows the mission because I'm spending more time trying to keep them quiet and under cover than actually playing, so I end up going Lone Wolf through every mission and eventually get bored. This would solve all that for me and probably hundreds of thousands of other players.

Please keep this project going, no matter what.

Lol sorry I suck at typing on phone. What I meant was it would be great to have access to the most common AI commands ie..hold fire/engage at will, because as it is now you have to switch out of command screen and that can essentially kill your plan

-Yes, I did. It caused havoc in some situations. Use the group feature instead. A lot easier to handle imho. (just select a unit and right-click on another unit)

This never worked for me. I get the Name[Other Name] indication when I right click the other unit but when I right click elsewhere to place a waypoint only the original AI goes.

On other issues I brought up I understand your schedule. Keep up the good work.

Lol sorry I suck at typing on phone. What I meant was it would be great to have access to the most common AI commands ie..hold fire/engage at will, because as it is now you have to switch out of command screen and that can essentially kill your plan

Have you tried clicking the middle rectangle, where Hold fire is usually indicated? :)

Okay, it now works instant only, and cannot be set for waypoints... But at least you can give it per unit and not per team: quick and easy.

Most commands are covered as of now. The rest will be later, or its unneeded, or not working, or I fail to put it into the interface without overcomplicating it.

This never worked for me. I get the Name[Other Name] indication when I right click the other unit but when I right click elsewhere to place a waypoint only the original AI goes.

Other name means that the unit follows that unit. A sub-group is formed: when you command [Other name] all the units in that subgroup will follow.

Of course you can break formation until next move command.

I know that the tutorial is needed to come back: but I want to finish the interface first. :) It was a lot of work to make it the first time and redo it once should be enough. :)

EDIT: there was a bug indeed sttosin. Thanks for making me work on it. :)

It is now fixed. Some more fixes and I release a new version.

Edited by zapat

EDIT: there was a bug indeed sttosin. Thanks for making me work on it. :)

It is now fixed. Some more fixes and I release a new version.

Haha no problem. Can't wait.GetTactical makes Arma a whole new game for me....a thinking game. Plan mode is still my favorite feature.