Hi

I wonder: are we allowed to copycat someone else's work?

For example, if I see a base template I like and recreate it - not doing a copy and paste, but making something that does look like it from the start - is it a problem?

Remember though, do you really want to?

Even if it is allowed, might not really help you to win if it is just a straight copycat ;)

You know, needs originality..

But I am sure you know what you are doing.

Well, I'm not asking about inspiration or originality, just whether it's allowed or not as I don't steal anyone's work after all.

@ IT07: source please?

I look at other people's work on a daily basis. And when I see some idea I like I think: "Hm, I could do something like this too." I don't take their code but of course I look at it to see how they did it. For example, the conv system was inspired by a simliar script by dwringer but my technical approach is a completely different one. I know it's a thin line between "stealing" and "getting inspired by" but I think that's how the creative process works for most of us. We see soemthing interesting and start developing ideas around it and then combine it to something new. I don't see anything wrong with doing similiar things as long as you don't copy other perople's code without asking for their permissions. And when talking about copying I don't mean one or two lines or a well-done loop or something, I mean full scripts or large parts.

If you can do it better, then go for it. Just don't steal their already existing work.

For example, when I created Hostage Rescue: Extreme, I got the inspiration from a public server where some guy had a crude setup of units thrown into the editor. The only thing keeping the mission in order was the admin enforcing that people roleplay the scenario and he instructed how to play. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not an actual game mode, only a man with a dream, and with my abilities, I made his dream a reality.

Good luck Wiki :)

Thanks for your answer guys.

Anyway, I hot the answer from the concerned guy and he doesn't mind :-)

I'll give him credits for it of course.

I like this community ^^

I think he wants to know if, as example, he sees someone building an 'iphone', is he allowed to look over that persons shoulder while building his own 'android'.

Well, there are no laws against it so it just depends how much respect you have for the work of others. ie... Its up to you! :)

I would suggest at the least, that if you are gaining inspiration from a source, to ensure you have credited them, even if it looks/performs substantially different.

The alternative is many modders/coders could easily go the route Sa-Matra took, and make the code all but impossible for you to read.

As said, I asked the guy and he allowed me to do it.

I also gave him credits for it :)

It's in my mission 13 'Commander', I borrowed some of his Kamino firing range template.

Sign in to follow this