Sign in to follow this  
Helljumper

Iron front or ARMA 2 invasion 1944

hello everyone. i saw this game a long time ago when it was being released but due to its initial issues at launch i stopped at buying it. now that i see a new D-Day dlc is out as well and the game is more stable, i am thinking to buy. I like Allies vs Germans WW2 setup (its my fav) and IF new dlc has attracted me to it. however while looking around i also found this.

ARMA 2 Invasion 1944 (mod) which is on same engine and in same setup i.e. Allies vs Germany. and apparently it seems that it has more content in it. so i am a bit confused now.

Iron front and D-Day DLC costs... $30+10= $40

Arma 2 costs $25 and the mod is free.

but i cannot decide which one to buy so i would appreciate if someone can help me out a bit here.. oh i am looking for both SP and MP aspect of the game.. from MP i mean are the servers busy or can i easily find a game or not....and i know arma is not arcady or stuff..i have played OFP, Arma 1 and Arma 2 (lost my game) quite a bit.

thanks

My personal thoughts (info might not be current as I stopped playing Iron Front Liberation).

Price: ArmA2CO for I44 mod is less expensive than Iron Front Liberation. Also there is no lite version for the DLCs so you have to buy them to join MP games requiring them.

Units: I44 mod has a bigger number of units/assets(Germans,US), the Iron Front Liberation ones (Germans,Russians,US DLC) have more features helped by a tailored game engine.

Addons: You can't use addons in MP with Iron Front Liberation and not many are out. ArmA2CO support of addons is well known.

Maps: Iron Front Liberation comes with bigger and better designed maps but I44 mod has access to all the ArmA2CO maps/islands.

SP: Iron Front Liberation has a big campaign. Don't know much about single player missions for I44 mod.

Player count: Iron Front Liberation right now has 4 players. In contrast I44 mod has 30 in COOP, 52 in DayZ I44 and 5 in Wasteland I44 for a total of 87.

Game engine: ArmA2CO has constant updates, Iron Front Liberation updates sometimes.

Finally, with ArmA2CO you don't get just a Allies vs Germans WW2 but you gain access to a vast library of addons, missions, campaigns and mp servers.

My opinion, get ArmA2CO

My personal thoughts (info might not be current as I stopped playing Iron Front Liberation).

Price: ArmA2CO for I44 mod is less expensive than Iron Front Liberation. Also there is no lite version for the DLCs so you have to buy them to join MP games requiring them.

Units: I44 mod has a bigger number of units/assets(Germans,US), the Iron Front Liberation ones (Germans,Russians,US DLC) have more features helped by a tailored game engine.

Addons: You can't use addons in MP with Iron Front Liberation and not many are out. ArmA2CO support of addons is well known.

Maps: Iron Front Liberation comes with bigger and better designed maps but I44 mod has access to all the ArmA2CO maps/islands.

SP: Iron Front Liberation has a big campaign. Don't know much about single player missions for I44 mod.

Player count: Iron Front Liberation right now has 4 players. In contrast I44 mod has 30 in COOP, 52 in DayZ I44 and 5 in Wasteland I44 for a total of 87.

Game engine: ArmA2CO has constant updates, Iron Front Liberation updates sometimes.

Finally, with ArmA2CO you don't get just a Allies vs Germans WW2 but you gain access to a vast library of addons, missions, campaigns and mp servers.

My opinion, get ArmA2CO

thanks for you insight about both games.

i understand that IF is a proper game in comparison to Invasion 44 but the major advantage i see atm is the future support available for I44, a lot of stuff is being added over time and with ARMA 2 i am not just stuck with a single mode, i can play more

one of the major drawbacks i see with IF is the lack of support/modding available.

also, is their a unit list for Iron front somewhere?? like which tanks/ tank destroyers are available for the german side??

If you haven't made your mind up yet I would recommend just Getting Arma 2 CO (original and OA together) . Not that IF44 is bad, it is very outstanding, but I don't foresee Iron Front 44 getting any future support or any more DLC's...I don't know for sure but I think we've seen the end of support for Iron Front.

Regarding your question about what units are available, their is a class-list posted on official IF forums but those forums are blacked out (part of the reason I suspect they may be packing it in). Germans have Tiger I, King Tiger, Panzer IV, Panzer V and Stug 3 as far as tanks go. T34's, SU-2 and IS-2 for Russians. I think Americans just have 1 Sherman and their is no armored cars (APC's yes) which really annoys me personally

Edited by LaGuerre

The main problem with IF is and always was that it did never work proprly as it was intended...It never was a WWII ArmA II...more like a outdated and underperforming ArmA II light with WW2 units and nonfunctional modules und obviouly unplayabe missions. The DLC did change nothing and just added more problems.

If you can afford it HellJumper, Buy Both, Iron front has better armor.

~S~

affording both is the issue right now for me as i am saving for other games as well :P

and i am getting more confused now though..its like this

IF more better in terms of gfx but no future support

IV44 not polished game but having a bright future...

idk maybe waiting a bit can be helpful to see how iv44 turns out.