Sign in to follow this  
digitalgeo

Arma 3 IS NOT "Military Simulator" genre

Hey all!

This thread is for people who falsely claim Arma being the "Military Simulator" genre.

I find an increasing number of people using the term "simulator" to describe the Arma 3 in forums, video comments and even in the feedback tracker.

I want to make it clear,

BIS has never classified Arma 3 as "Military Simulator" genre.

If you check out any of the official BI websites and game description, they do not mention Arma 3 being a "simulator". Instead they mention it being "authentic".

Virtual Battlespace genre is "Military Simulator", which is a true simulator made by BI specifically for military simulation.

Arma 3 genre is "tactical shooter". Not "simulator". However, BI describes Arma 3 as "authentic" and a "massive military sandbox" which fits it perfectly.

BIS says its "authentic".

IT IS.

The MEDIA says its "Simulator".

It's not.

The media can be misleading.

Arma 3 wiki- says genre is "tactical shooter". Does not say its "Simulator" genre.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARMA_3

Arma 3 description- does not say Arma 3 is "simulator". Its "authentic".

http://www.bistudio.com/english/games/arma3

Virtual Battlespace wiki- says genre is "Military Simulater". This is a real simulater by BI, not Arma

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBS1

Correct me if I'm wrong ^^

- Renz

I hope this clears things up.

Edited by DigitalGeo

And you posted this why? To prove us that this is not simulator?

Hey all!

This thread is for people who falsely claim Arma being the "Military Simulator" genre.

community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3

Contents 2

About

Starting with the successful Arma: Cold War Assault (originally titled Operation Flashpoint*: Cold War Crisis) in 2001, Arma 3 is the latest installment in Bohemia Interactive’s award-winning tactical military shooter series for PC. Set in a massive Mediterranean sandbox of over 290 km², featuring 40+ weapons and 20+ vehicles, Arma 3 provides an authentic, diverse and open combat experience - supported by a wide variety of singleplayer and multiplayer gameplay. Together with the brand new Real Virtuality™4 engine, limitless opportunities for content creation and a passionate community, the PC’s premier military simulation game series is back. Arma 3 – This Is War.

Arma 2 had ultimate military simulator written on the box....

On the front, just below the name.

Hey all!

I find an increasing number of people using the term "simulator" to describe the Arma 3 in forums, video comments and even in the feedback tracker.

I want to make it clear,

If you check out any of the official BI websites and game description, they do not mention Arma 3 being a "simulator". Instead they mention it being "authentic".

Virtual Battlespace genre is "Military Simulator", which is a true simulator made by BI specifically for military simulation.

Arma 3 genre is "tactical shooter". Not "simulator". However, BI describes Arma 3 as "authentic" and a "massive military sandbox" which fits it perfectly.

BIS says its "authentic".

IT IS.

The MEDIA says its "Simulator".

It's not.

Arma 3 wiki. Genre is "tactical shooter". Does not say its "Simulator" genre.

Arma 3 description- does not say Arma 3 is "simulator". Its "authentic".

http://www.bistudio.com/english/games/arma3

Virtual Battlespace wiki. Genre is "Military Simulater". This is a real simulater by BI, not Arma

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBS1

Correct me if I'm wrong ^^

- Renz

I hope this clears things up.

Now that you remind me i noticed something differentabout this Edition...it's was because ArmA III was not a SIM-MIL !

Now everything is more clear and everything is perfectly!

LOL!

Edited by j4you

So is there a better noun one could use to describe the game that sets it apart from other military FPS games?

Most games described as simulators are not the same as real simulator software used in professional fields. This thread is just confusing the two senses of the word.

They personally don't classify Arma 3 as it but since OFP the games have carried that moniker ergo regardless of whatever PR jargon, Arma 3 will likely still be called a military simulator by anyone has played a previous game in the series.

I'm not a fan of the label of "military simulator," myself. I mean, really, could "military" be any broader a concept to ostensibly be simulating?* I don't think anyone would seriously claim that Arma is an accurate simulation of the experience of being in the military. And a relatively small number of people even think that would be a fun experience.

With that said, as much as I dislike using the word simulator for things that aren't easy to simulate, the cat is kind of out of the bag. At this point it's basically just a buzz word that has nearly lost all meaning. Easily half of games described as being "simulators" don't even come close, and with the term being thrown around as much as it is, who really cares if people want to call Arma a simulator?

*Yes, obviously it could.

It's not that distant of the VBS...the military simulation, just is there to make the unit be able to act like a unit in a environment, and allied with simunition training, and other drills ...

Ps: my battalion implies the use of VBS for sergeants and officers

Arma is a Military Simulator in the same way Euro Truck Simulator is a truck simulator or Ship Simulator Extremes is a ship simulator.

They are games ( pieces of entertainment ) that simulate certain aspects to make you feel immersed, but obviously in the "have fun" side.

If you pretend to be able to drive a truck after playing ETS2 or a ship after playing SSE... :j:

The other titles in the series were of a simulation style, I think.

Vanilla A3 is not in that vein, its stepped out, more mainstream shooter really.

However, with the right mod/addons, it can be brought back in-line with the others in the series i.e. a simulation style, not actual sim.

This series are games done in a sim style, nearest you’ll get in the genre, anyway.

;)

What's funny is that every single word describing this game creates never ending debate :icon_dj:

Edited by ProfTournesol

While arma 3 has not been marketed as a simulator (infact the devs have been very clear that it is not a sim), the arma series, prior to arma 3, was. I think this is why many of the arma vets are/were unhappy with arma 3. It's priority is no longer to be a 100% realistic sim. Coincidently though, It is imo a more realistic game than any of its predecessors. And certainly no other game, aside from vbs, comes closer to the "military simulator" (whatever that actually is) title.

What's funny, in Arma 2, you could actually take a C-130 and fill it up with all the people that give a damn about whether it's a military simulator or not.

What was the actual point in this thread ? Should we go through new iterations of "realistic" vs "authentic" vs "simulation" vs "experience" or whatever ?

Honestly, how gives a damn ?

I want to make it clear,

Who really gives a flying excrement about this? Arma 3 is used as an RPG, survival game, MilSIm, and now a racing game. Who gives a damn about what it says on the package, it has enough simulator feature to be able to go as a simulator, and quite frankly, it doesn't matter a damn thing what it is called, it matters how you play it.

Useless discussion about semantics and labels. Seriously, what is the point? Why start this thread in the first place?

Arma 3 wiki. Genre is "tactical shooter". Does not say its "Simulator" genre.

Pure solid gold to claim media is misleading and then quote media to prove your point :D

I think we could argue the colour of water till the cows come home on this forum :D

Water's green.

On the OP, it simply does not matter what it's called, its what's on the inside that counts. And how people use it. Generic Arma 3 is very arcadey, but add in a bit of ACRE, a decent medical system, some unit packs, bam, you've got yourself a somewhat decent military simulator.

Let me just kill this thread right now. Even though BIS "Confirmed" this not to be a military simulator, what it is is a Virgin Pina Colada. Pina Colada being the Simulation, this is basically a basic frame out of what a simulator should be like. Now, why isn't it a simulator? Well because something happened throughout the life of production before Alpha that changed the entire headway of Arma 3. What that means is, while it could have gone both ways, they had to change up everything and are slowly but surely moving back towards the ever successful simulator version of Arma. Now some may say, that's rubbish, and all this and all that... The fact is they are. Helicopters DLC, bringing "SIMULATION" to flight models of helicopters. Marksman DLC, which will most likley bring advanced Ballistics to rifles, and "simulate" inertia, which was in Arma2, which IS a Military Simulator. Then the Expansion which will most likely bring a whole basket of new things, including refinements to existing mechanics, and simulations. The game already gives us a watered down version of Ballistics. They are going back towards simulation, and i'm super glad they are. Heck, in the next update, you finally wont be able to run 300 meters with an AA launcher, Machine gun, large backpack with 3 missiles insides and like... 8 mags, grenades, and all that nonsense. It's called Fatigue, which will be updated come the Bootcamp update. No more "Arcade" style run and gun. Your going to have to play it like you would be in war. Rest, prepare, move, rest some more. It will "Simulate" infantry movements instead of the Arcade like style gameplay. So is Arma 3 a military Simulator? Yes and no, AT THE MOMENT. It's a watered down version. Will Arma 3 ever be a Military Simulator? Most likley in the future. Now don't evn go into it about fake vehicles and what not, the onyl fake vehicle is the MI-48 Kajman, and all that is as a Havoc mixed with a Black Shark, and given some cargo room for about a squad. And while you'd disagree that's impossible to make, it is.

OP: There's no such genre as 'military simulator'.

Honestly, how gives a damn ?

The people that want to play a military simulator?

The other titles in the series were of a simulation style, I think.

Vanilla A3 is not in that vein, its stepped out, more mainstream shooter really.

How exactly is Arma 3 more of a mainstream shooter than 2?

When I think of the new things Arma 3 has brought, they are all related to simulation and not mainstream games.

1. Stance adjust - certainly won't find this in a mainstream FPS, this is very milsim

2. Increased fatigue and weapon sway - yes, more than Arma 2. Also moving away from mainstream FPS conventions (run and gun)

3. Diving and underwater operations - Adds diversity to how you can carry out a mission, and that player freedom is what sets Arma apart from mainstream FPS

4. Uniform and gear customization - More player choices

5. Weapon attachment system - Again, more player choices and getting rid of the old "one weapon for every possible weapon attachment combination" workaround from Arma 2

I could perhaps go on, and there may be a few small things that make Arma 3 more mainstream, but I think they are vastly outweighed by these simulator-oriented features.

People call Battlefield 4 a War Simulator, so basically everything is a simulator now.

Tetris is Stacking Simulator

Pokemon is a Chickenfight Simulator

Need for Speed is a "Driving vehicles at unrealistic speeds loaded with explosives" Simulator

and so on.

Arma 3 IS a military simulator. It's description says it is and it actually is. Simulator does not mean that everything is 100% authentic, but it means that it will give you enought of realism in gameplay experience.

Counterstrike is a simulator. It simulates the real world process of fighting between anti-terror forces and terrorists. The simulation may run on a very simplified model, it is nevertheless a simulation. Siulation does not mean real, nor does it mean as close as real as possible. Running a simulation as close to the real world thing as possible maybe wanted to get more relevant data out of your simulation, but it is not needed to actually be a simulation. Just have a look at the technological industry, simulations are never the real thing, but always just a simplified model of the real thing, making it easier to work with (CPU time, etc.). If you want the real thing, do the real thing.

It is a battlefield simulator. Or battlespace simulator? idk.

It could also be a bee simulator. Or fog simulator. It simulates both, you know.

Game definitions are arbitrary, call it what you want. Question is, are you having fun? I am having fun with Arma, most of the time, when it doesn't annoy the hell out of me with the poor soundscape (which also is completely broken right now:

There also was a ticket, can't find it right now.) and oftentimes inadequate performance, which affects AI, ballistics additionally to fps.

It is gud gaem. If you want super hardcore soldier bicep simulator, or hardcore sitting in a trench for 12 hours and shitting in plastic bags simulator, you probably need to make sure you got a niche on the market cornered first. I am being facetious of course, but making Arma 3 look like less of a simulator than Arma 2 is ridiculous. And modded Arma 3 could be -way- more realistic than VBS. ACE 2 already is (Which is why, in my opinion, the more recent the version, the less fun it was to play.).

What's in a name?

that which we call a rose,

By any other name would smell as sweet !

:p