Sign in to follow this  
mudpi

ARMA Ops: Operational and strategic level gaming

Hi All,

I've been playing about trying to make a "wargame" that compliments the action on Altis. It's far from finnished but I guess I hope to catch the interest of some of the really tallented people in the community to come up with something, similar but better.

http://i.imgur.com/RVCY4Ij.jpg

I've used VASSAL to try and simulate the larger war, and spesifically try to model the insurgency along with supply issues. I don't pretend it's particularly groundbreaking (or even esspecially good) but having a larger context which determines which fights occur and where they happen makes such a big diffrence!! Strategic level calculations betermine troop disposition and likelyhood of making or avoiding contact then Arma takes over, using the determined map area and spesific troops after a quick bit of mission editting.

The exciting thing is that this could probably done in engine ussing zeus (although somethings are better abstracted to make up for particular AI issues). It's all way beyond my abillity but while BiS is doing a good job firming up the simulation asspects of the game I think a bit of time spent on the command and operational aspects could really take things to a whole new level.

hope everyone is well and if anyone has their own ideas to make Arma more strategic please share,

Mud

Very interesting, i look forward to seeing where you go with it! Is there an AI element to this VASSAL programme you're using or is it just for online PvP use?

Some friends and I tried to do something similar to this using the alive system. It worked pretty well and was fun but left us wanting for more. It would be awesome to be able to destroy certain things that would effect the outcome. Like bombing factories or destroying certain units.

Funny you should mention that, so have we :) Whether we ever get enough dev hours to deliver on the vision is a different matter but it's great to see that others are keen to add a strategic & operational layer to ArmA's predominantly tactical game. Conceptually, one idea we have is to run the grand strategic (global, inter-theatre scenario and strategic logistics) via the ALiVE War Room and an Operational layer (intra-theatre) integrated into the game via an API. That way it would be conceivable to use something like mudpi's concept to calculate the strategy element and have ALiVE translate the results to operational Objectives and availability of logistics for both players and AI in game.

That would be amazing. I already love what alive brings to the game as is. I haven't played the latest release but I will try it tonight. If mudpi could bring his concept to life, in conjunction with alives persistant battlefield, it would bring a whole new level of dynamics to arma.