Sign in to follow this  
nuxil

B.E.C. "Battleye Extended Controls" - Admin tool for dedicated servers

:confused:

Well best server restarter is finish ...

Which was the new one?

So you just leave? And leave us server administrators in the dark? All the people who use your product? Who rely on your product? Who love your product? Quite egotistic imho.

I'm left speechless...

• Like 1

Edit your host file and it works fine :)

127.0.0.1 ibattle.org
127.0.0.1 www.ibattle.org

Some warning would of been nice, we don't all agree on the monetization plans either but shafting the community was childish.

127.0.0.1 ibattle.org

Some warning would of been nice, we don't all agree on the monetization plans either but shafting the community was childish.

Thanks! Reporter doesn't work anymore though, but atleast I can auto restart and it autokicks etc.

127.0.0.1 ibattle.org

Many of you may wonder what the heck am i doing.

Im so sorry for not informing you people about this so you could prepare.

As you seen my 1st post updated with only a few words and no explanation why i am doing this.

I am going to tell you why i decided to do this.

As of today im doing my own little protest against the path Bis has taken.

I am going to keep protest against their policy change until they change it and make it fair.

So its basically the end of my little contribution to the community..

Im no Big content maker in the arma community.

I only do my own little hobby modding and never release anything to the public.

Now i feel that this hole "Arma 3 Server monetization" is rotten to the bone.

This "sign up your server here as a monitized one" then it's ok if you follow this simple rules its ok.

I am afraid its not Ok. And its not that simple.

These are my personal opinions thought. So please respect them.

What they are basically doing it letting the server hoster earn the cash (those who host the game).

While the ones who makes the mission, framework makers, addons makers(vehicles,etc), map makers, just have to sit by and see their work cash in while they get nothing in return.

Things like this takes hundreds of hours to make. its easy peasy to setup a server and clash some addons and mission on a server.

And it does only take a few hours setting it up. "tweaking,admining,maintenance it is a another matter"

Even if a person if to put in a "no commercial usage" or something like that in their EULA, no single person has the , time, money, "(knowledge)" on how to enfore their EULA.

Now i ask bis. did you ever think about us who makes 3rd party software being exploited? Guess not,

As i said, even if we are to put a "for none commercial usage" in our ELUA. how can we really enforce this?

We have the same problem as addon|mod makers. but then again. we where never bound to any of your EULA so we always had this problem with enforcing it anyway.

I had my fair share of dmca take-downs trying to enforce my own EULA. phhh, i say i rather waste my time on other stuff.

This shitty banaid after the A3L episode is just big bs in my opinion.

If Bis is really to allow monetization then every part has to be able cash in, Addon makers, map maker, mission maker so on.

I hear alot of this: addon|map makers do it for fun, fame, etc.

Sure they do. Why the hell would the else be doing it.

Now why cant (server hoster's) do the same?.

Donation for server rent is another thing, which im ok with. But not direct profit to be made by hosting a game (and exploiting addon|mod makers work)

As a personal opinion i think that the "spirit" of arma should not be monetized at all. period.

I think the solution to a none monetized community is simple

Tie in the dedicated server whith the steam account and have the server shutdown periode if abuse is reported though a reportabuse site.

But Bis has chosen another path.

Now Bec. There is a kill signal sent on version check.

This kill signal has only been used before on reporter accounts that tried to abuse|exploit the system.

As you have discovered the fix|workaround is simple

All you have to do is block any request done to ibattle.org by Bec. either in your sw firewall (windows firewall) or on your router

Bec will work normally after that. with the exception of the reporter account and version checking.

Why did i do this kill signal?

So people stop sending|requesting "garbage" traffic being sent|received to|from bansys & ibattle. as im no longer providing any services there.

I am taking my stand against Bis, You may say this is childish, egoistic, no point, I am only hurting the server hoster who use Bec.

Nevertheless i have made my stand on this matter and i hope you can respect them, you may not agree with them and i respect that.

I am sure there will popup something new in not so long, i seen a few wip ongoing. until then im sorry for the inconvenience i caused you all.

I am not trying to start some crusade or anything, me personally feel its time to check out and move on to something else.

Regards.

nuxil.

Thanks for this time and tool nuxil. BEC helped me alot so far =) .

Regards

Micael

Nuxil, I do see your point but to punish everyone because of a few seems extreme.

I am sorry. I can see you are upset. You are correct it does appear childish, but all this really does is punish the community. That's all.

I am behind you nuxi, bis as far as I am concerned can go f*** themselves I have been I huge supporter from day 1

What they are basically doing it letting the server hoster earn the cash (those who host the game).

While the ones who makes the mission, framework makers, addons makers(vehicles,etc), map makers, just have to sit by and see their work cash in while they get nothing in return.

Things like this takes hundreds of hours to make. its easy peasy to setup a server and clash some addons and mission on a server.

And it does only take a few hours setting it up. "tweaking,admining,maintenance it is a another matter"

Donation for server rent is another thing, which im ok with. But not direct profit to be made by hosting a game (and exploiting addon|mod makers work)

As a personal opinion i think that the "spirit" of arma should not be monetized at all. period.

Regards.

nuxil.

90% agree with your viewpoint on this.

I think its a bit unfair to tarnish server owners/providers like you have.

Sure setting up a server is relatively easy if you know what your doing,

As is making a model if your a 3D modeller(Something i've never attempted so it would be difficult for me)

Running an Arma server well requires a lot of effort and a lot of support from its members and based on my experience is not easy

Multiplayer without servers is just as bad as Arma without addons and the majority of what i would class as Community servers out there do it for the love of the game.

Like all groups, its a small minority that screw it up for all of us.

Big thanks for all the effort and content you have provided for the community in general and to those server providers who are whinging at you pulling the plug on your content. It didnt cost anything while it was available and for that we all thank you.

Nuxil, it's sad to see you go, but let me remind you that authors of 3rd party tools were always allowed to take donations and AFAIK there were even 3rd tools which were flat out pay-ware ...

that's something server admins weren't able to do until new rules

so, blame us (Bohemia Interactive) for actually trying to establish new rules (because until then there were none in some areas and way more GREY in other areas than now)

new server monetizing rules don't affect You as 3rd party program makers but of course You could use the rules (report abuse) to actually inform us about anyone who breaks your non-commercial license

on other hand these new rules allow us react in more ways than we could with old

so, I'm very concerned to see you go the way to blame us instead of those constantly trying violate the rules and rights (be it our older ones or new ones or ours IP or community content makers IP)

anyway I fully respect this as your own decision yet I fully hope you reconsider

Edited by Dwarden

To whom it may concern,

I have been on the fence about this entire issue since it began. Obviously we all have the rights to do what we want with the things we develop. However, when you throw a temper tantrum that affects a rather large community because you do not agree with something that the developer/owners of the game it is just flat out petty.

Now the following link that I am going to gladly share is in protest to the protest that B.E.C. is showing. I suppose it is my right as it is theirs as well. The only way this information can be removed would be for B.E.C. to file a petition for removal from this organization or others like it. Additionally you can find any B.E.C. documents on the web by searching the cache pages. To make life easy for anyone interested. The old B.E.C. website can be viewed here:

web.archive.org/web/20141118124323/http://ibattle.org/install-and-configure/

A message to B.E.C.....

If you want to continue to hurt the innocent people in this kick-a$$ community then please by all means file your petition and have it all removed.

Good bye B.E.C. it has been a great time.

Edited by ByThePowerOfGoogle
Fudge B.E.C.

Many of you may wonder what the heck am i doing.

Im so sorry for not informing you people about this so you could prepare.

As you seen my 1st post updated with only a few words and no explanation why i am doing this.

I am going to tell you why i decided to do this.

As of today im doing my own little protest against the path Bis has taken.

I am going to keep protest against their policy change until they change it and make it fair.

So its basically the end of my little contribution to the community..

Im no Big content maker in the arma community.

I only do my own little hobby modding and never release anything to the public.

This "sign up your server here as a monitized one" then it's ok if you follow this simple rules its ok.

I am afraid its not Ok. And its not that simple.

These are my personal opinions thought. So please respect them.

Even if a person if to put in a "no commercial usage" or something like that in their EULA, no single person has the , time, money, "(knowledge)" on how to enfore their EULA.

Now i ask bis. did you ever think about us who makes 3rd party software being exploited? Guess not,

As i said, even if we are to put a "for none commercial usage" in our ELUA. how can we really enforce this?

We have the same problem as addon|mod makers. but then again. we where never bound to any of your EULA so we always had this problem with enforcing it anyway.

I had my fair share of dmca take-downs trying to enforce my own EULA. phhh, i say i rather waste my time on other stuff.

This shitty banaid after the A3L episode is just big bs in my opinion.

If Bis is really to allow monetization then every part has to be able cash in, Addon makers, map maker, mission maker so on.

I think the solution to a none monetized community is simple

Tie in the dedicated server whith the steam account and have the server shutdown periode if abuse is reported though a reportabuse site.

But Bis has chosen another path.

Now Bec. There is a kill signal sent on version check.

This kill signal has only been used before on reporter accounts that tried to abuse|exploit the system.

As you have discovered the fix|workaround is simple

All you have to do is block any request done to ibattle.org by Bec. either in your sw firewall (windows firewall) or on your router

Bec will work normally after that. with the exception of the reporter account and version checking.

Why did i do this kill signal?

So people stop sending|requesting "garbage" traffic being sent|received to|from bansys & ibattle. as im no longer providing any services there.

I am taking my stand against Bis, You may say this is childish, egoistic, no point, I am only hurting the server hoster who use Bec.

Nevertheless i have made my stand on this matter and i hope you can respect them, you may not agree with them and i respect that.

I am sure there will popup something new in not so long, i seen a few wip ongoing. until then im sorry for the inconvenience i caused you all.

I am not trying to start some crusade or anything, me personally feel its time to check out and move on to something else.

Regards.

nuxil.

Nuxil, I'm gutted you've terminated BEC. But you also have a valid point and a good enough reason for doing what you're doing. I too have spent hour upon hour creating content and require nothing in return but for players to enjoy themselves. You have morals and scruples so people shouldn't knock you for doing what you're doing.

You could use the rules (report abuse) to actually inform us about anyone who breaks your non-commercial license

Implying you (BI) would actually do anything about it...

Anyway, sad to see BEC die; hope you move on to bigger & better things Nuxil.

maybe that's why those new rules appeared ? ...

Right guys, BEC's now down and tonight some saddo used some hack to play mayhem on my server. Some lowlife calling themselves 'Team Fury'. We really do need something like BEC.

ColinM9991,

You're not exactly the shining example here as you are on the team that works on Altis Life... If memory serves me correct Tonic threw his own version of a temper tantrum and shut everything down affected several of innocent people as well. Mod makers need to realize that while some may be doing it as a small hobby they need to expect to have a certain level of responsibility when their mod becomes popular. If not then you are no better then the people whom you complain about.

The fact of the matter is monetary gain off of ArmA servers has been going on for several years and it has always been a grey area. So shame on BIS for finally instituting a policy of regulation for monetary gain? No more with the grey areas... Either you have acceptance or not... Altis Life has already made it pretty damn clear that NO ONE who uses their mod will be allowed to have a donator system and anyone who does the Mod team will make efforts to report them to BIS in the hopes of getting their application thrown out. I am not even going to get into the part where Altis Life tells game server providers that selling of material related to "your" mod will not be tolerated.

In summation, this decision that BI is making may not be liked by all but for mod developers I have a real hard time seeing how this directly involves you. You really should consider not crying about it and if you are going to walk off into the sunset then just do so. B.E.C. got it right and the least everyone else can do is do the same thing. Stop complaining and just walk away if you are really that hurt over this. If you still want to make money then be like everyone else including me and put in an application. I promise it was not that difficult and I am sure if you ask nicely BI would even write the application in crayon and provide color pictures for you. B.E.C. I am honestly sad to see you pack up shop but a lot of us completely understand. I wish to thank you on behalf of many many others for all of the strong work that you have put into the ArmA community.

Till Next Time,

:yay:

Edited by ByThePowerOfGoogle
Fudge Altis Life

Sorry to see you go Nuxil. BEC has been a huge help to us all.

It's worth remembering that these new monetization rules are a trial though. As much as I agree with some of the points here, it's not final and in my opinion BI have always been there for the community. As a few here have pointed out, no one part of the community or game is more important than the other. So I sincerely doubt they have done this with the aim of benefiting one particular area, or damaging the community as a whole. If they say it will give them more control, then I believe them. Whether they take action on offenders is to be seen and I'm not going to pass judgement before then.

I really hope you reconsider Nuxil and find a way to make this work for you. You may not be making money off BEC but you have the appreciation of the majority of the community and I doubt you are alone in your feelings for people who exploit them and BI.

On a side note, is there anywhere we can sign up to say we would prefer the old rules? Or are BI going to do this o a "general community feeling" kind of basis? There appears to be a fair few people delaying or withdrawing their work from the community over this and I can't help think a more "direct" approach (not that this isn't) would help ease some tensions and make people feel better.

ColinM9991,

You're not exactly the shining example here as you are on the team that works on Altis Life... If memory serves me correct Tonic threw his own version of a temper tantrum and shut everything down affected several of innocent people as well. Mod makers need to realize that while some may be doing it as a small hobby they need to expect to have a certain level of responsibility when their mod becomes popular. If not then you are no better then the people whom you complain about.

The fact of the matter is monetary gain off of ArmA servers has been going on for several years and it has always been a grey area. So shame on BIS for finally instituting a policy of regulation for monetary gain? No more with the grey areas... Either you have acceptance or not... Altis Life has already made it pretty damn clear that NO ONE who uses their mod will be allowed to have a donator system and anyone who does the Mod team will make efforts to report them to BIS in the hopes of getting their application thrown out. I am not even going to get into the part where Altis Life tells game server providers that selling of material related to "your" mod will not be tolerated.

In summation, this decision that BI is making may not be liked by all but for mod developers I have a real hard time seeing how this directly involves you. You really should consider not crying about it and if you are going to walk off into the sunset then just do so. B.E.C. got it right and the least everyone else can do is do the same thing. Stop complaining and just walk away if you are really that hurt over this. If you still want to make money then be like everyone else including me and put in an application. I promise it was not that difficult and I am sure if you ask nicely BI would even write the application in crayon and provide color pictures for you. B.E.C. I am honestly sad to see you pack up shop but a lot of us completely understand. I wish to thank you on behalf of many many others for all of the strong work that you have put into the ArmA community.

Till Next Time,

Just to make one thing clear, I am a moderator at the Altis Life forums; in no way to do I decide anything that happens with Altis Life, nor do I make any decisions for it or for Tonic and I have made that very clear up until now - you're barking up the wrong tree.

Also, for the record; I have been making money from ArmA related content for a long time and when I saw about Monetization I had nothing but thoughts of making money from it, there are a lot of things I could say about BIS but this is not the time nor the place so I'll leave it at that and I'll continue paying my bills from ArmA related content like so because like you said; this doesn't involve me and I have better things to be doing than trying to defend any mod or mission which makes no changes to my life what-so-ever, instead I was simply giving Nuxil my wishes and hoping he moves on to bigger & better things.

Edited by ColinM9991

I hope things pan out to your satisfaction Nuxil, just keep popping back to see how all this ends up man. I myself do not feel happy about it either and have given reasons why on the Server Monetization thread.

(Edited as I have too many threads where I've commented on this now and should just concentrate on creating stuff instead tbh... this topic could become a time sink for me lol)

Edited by meshcarver

Just to make one thing clear, I am a moderator at the Altis Life forums; in no way to do I decide anything that happens with Altis Life, nor do I make any decisions for it or for Tonic and I have made that very clear up until now - you're barking up the wrong tree.

Also, for the record; I have been making money from ArmA related content for a long time and when I saw about Monetization I had nothing but thoughts of making money from it, there are a lot of things I could say about BIS but this is not the time nor the place so I'll leave it at that and I'll continue paying my bills from ArmA related content like so because like you said; this doesn't involve me and I have better things to be doing than trying to defend any mod or mission which makes no changes to my life what-so-ever, instead I was simply giving Nuxil my wishes and hoping he moves on to bigger & better things.

I must say that now I am interested as well. How were you making money off of ArmA servers in the past. I hope you were not breaking the EULA. I can only assume that you are making this money as a third party that Dwarden talks about whom are allowed to charge and make money. Also, I find it very interesting that you can be a part of a Mod developers community who has emphatically stated that he intends on turning people in to BI who use "his" Mod for monetary gain when you clearly mention that you pay your bills from charging as a result of ArmA servers. Isn't that a little hypocritical? I guess since you are not the decision maker it is not hypocritical but shows a lack in character.

I know how you feel about BI as I know who you are and have spoken with you before. Yes, I am posting this as an anonymous person but I think dear sir that you are barking up the wrong tree as well and really should be supporting BI since as a result of them you are able to pay your bills. The community as a whole makes a difference in your life given the fact that you are making money off of the community. It is clear that this is on a personal level as it is for me as well.

I will leave the rant at that point and remain slightly confused.